Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:58:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773198
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 580
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 551
Total: 553

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mccain's VP Pick  (Read 71519 times)

Offline randym431

Mccain's VP Pick
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:21:46 pm »
This, for one, debunks one thing Mccain has been saying, that Obama's vp pick would not influence his vp pick. Its obvious it did...

Second, she fits the republicans "three G's" standards... Guns, God and Gays.

Third, Mccain really thinks that Hillary voters just want a woman in the mix, doesn’t matter who as long as its a woman. Mccain is gravely WRONG!
Hillary voters loved Hillary because she WAS Hillary. Not just because she is a woman.

And last, for democrats this pick is moot.

Its the republicans that will have to realize Mccain has derailed the republican party from its traditional "old white mans club".
I can just feel republicans again fearing that Mccain is, as they have feared, NOT in the republican loop. Not a player. Not "one of them" at heart.

I almost feel sorry for republicans. It would be like if democrats picked Lieberman or old Zen Miller to be their candidate.
This has to, in reality, make republicans VERY VERY nervous about Mccain...
I can hear many of them saying in private... SEE, I told you so, Mccains just TOO different for us!
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Mccain's VP Pick
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 08:28:53 pm »
Trust me...I am way surrounded by Republican minded people much of the time, and yes...the VP decision is already causing alarm.  The main reason I'm hearing is because of her overall lack of experience.  McCain is 72...most of the old-timers who seem to be the biggest base of the party know all too well what that could mean for whoever fills the VP slot.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 10:15:45 pm »
I thought for sure he was gonna go with Tom Ridge since he(McCain) was just here visiting him a few weeks ago. Most people recognize the game for what it is as far as choosing her. And why pick someone who has drama in her own backyard? If anything, folks are really going to be eyeballing her to see how that plays out. And she is a bit long in the tooth to be popping out a baby. I say we give her a reality show, why not, if they can give one to Luke. :P
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Basquo

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 11:28:30 pm »
Maybe he wants to mentor her.  What's wrong with a white presidential candidate picking a younger woman to be his intern? Or "tapping" her for that, to use more contemporary language?

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 04:20:28 am »
My first impression is that it was a desperate pick and a risky one at that.  She is unknown and hasn't had much media attention over the years, (other than being voted the sexiest this and the hottest that).  I wonder how well she was vetted.  Should she have some skeletons in the closet (and we all do), they will come out just before the election.

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 05:10:07 am »
I just saw James Dobson was ecstatic over her nomination so that killed any momentary flirt I had with that ticket. Obama it is...but I'm glad I don't feel emotionally vested. What will be will be.

I do think it was a smart pick. She's the VP, not the president and her resume is comparable to Obama's so he doesn't want to be talking about experience all day.

Plus there are a lot of women who have their radars on high gear after what they perceive as sexist treatment of Hillary (I'm not saying this to debate the point, just state the fact that this is a perception and polling shows there is a between 21% or more of Hillary supporters who won't vote for Obama). And Republicans love to flame these types of  wars and are a heck of a lot better at it than Democrats.

I already read some stuff calling her a "naughty school teacher" and some other urepeatables that will anger - especially after we see her bio displayed at the convention as a mother with a baby that has Downe's Syndrome and someone who, though I would say is on the wrong side of the issues, tackles motherhood and got into elected office to be a reformer.  They need to be careful and I have not been impressed with his surrogates ability to respectfully deal with this conversation.

Makes for a fun race - going to be good fun. History will be made whichever side wins!

Mike :)

"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Cliff

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 06:28:43 am »
Pallin will be serving under McCain, who has gone out of way to deny equal rights/pay to women.  She is pro-life, a NRA card-carrier, doesn't believe in evolution or in climate change.  She also wants to drill in the Arctic reserve and off the shores of all states.  I have a hard time seeing the attraction of Hillary voters, unless one assumes that the only motivation to vote for Clinton was gender.  I don't think that was the case.  I think her politics were just as important, if not more so.  Plus I think the so-called disgruntled Clinton supporter ready to vote for McCain is largely a media ratings-driven event (which is getting tiresome).  I think McCain is going after another set of voters with this choice.  He's getting his christian, conservative base (particularly those in the West and South) excited about his campaign.  Up until now, he hasn't been able to generate much excitement.

I doubt Obama/Biden will attack her on experience (the media will probably do that for them).  But I do think it does somewhat take the issue away from McCain.  How hard can he attack Obama on experience given his own VP choice (a selection much more important than Obama's choice considering McCain's age and health)?

My first impression was that this choice was likely to backfire on him and I can't wait to see the VP debate!

Cliff

Offline atlq

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 08:38:03 am »
Here's a little light reading on Gov. Sarah "Oil Lobbyist Loving, Use the Governor's office to Fire Those who Divorce my Sister, Polar Bear Killing, Teach Creationism in Our Schools, Deny Women Control of their Bodies, Pat Buchanan Supporting, I Haven't Really Kept up with What's Going On in Iraq" Quayle Palin.

http://www.americablog.com/2008/08/wash-post-interviews-public-safety.html

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/08/three-words.html

http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/8/29/231114/892

John McCain - Putting. Country. Last.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 08:55:32 am by atlq »
“Keep up the good work....   And God bless you.”
  --  Sarah Palin, to members of the Alaskan Independence Party, 2008

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 08:57:20 am »
McCain will win. Republicans have long known that the fairer species thinks and acts with their hoo hoos.

*sarcasm

**edited for Tori Spelling
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 09:22:41 am by jkinatl2 »
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline atlq

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 09:00:47 am »
And her greatest hits just keep on coming......

http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/8/29/182233/307

"HomeDiariesBreaking BlueE-Wire 2008The Mavericky Thing
by Natasha Chart, Fri Aug 29, 2008 at 06:22:33 PM EST

This is what NOW's Kim Gandy reports as being Sarah Palin's position on abortion:

In a gubernatorial debate, Palin stated emphatically that her opposition to abortion was so great, so total, that even if her teenage daughter was impregnated by a rapist, she would "choose life" -- meaning apparently that she would not permit her daughter to have an abortion.

Charming. I bet the McCain campaign is hoping she'll avoid mentioning this while trying to connect to the average, American parent."

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 11:23:36 am »
Let's face it:  While she may be shaky as a candidate in terms of experience, as a "brand" she couldn't have been better unless she had plopped out that Downs Syndrome baby by virgin birth.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline atlq

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 11:30:13 am »
Let's face it:  While she may be shaky as a candidate in terms of experience, as a "brand" she couldn't have been better unless she had plopped out that Downs Syndrome baby by virgin birth.

What wine pairs best with a Mooseburger?...

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 11:35:41 am »
Let the games begin. I don't thin McCain made a very wise choice.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 02:49:37 pm »
 ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 06:12:27 pm »
;D

And we know what happened to those 2(in pic) now don't we. I can see McCain now dropping dead by playing bedroom olympics with Palin or having a heart attack when Cindy starts chasing after his ass over his affair uh, faux pau.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2008, 03:19:49 am »
My internet news provider says she is a former beauty queen.  Now she has her chance to stop opening supermarkets and really work for world peace  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline ANGEL42

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 07:30:41 am »
     Just shows that McCains Judgement is off. Met her once. Mayor of 9000. Gov. of 600,000. No Foreign Policy Experience. Anti gay. Anti Abortion even for Rape victims.Anti Gun control. Thinks shes going to ride on Hillarys coat tails speech on the Glass ceiling. Women of America are not that stupid. First he wanted his wife to be in a Beauty Pagent...Now he picks a Beauty pagent queen. Not lets not forget when the comment was made about Hillary being a B*TCH and he laughed. Hes such a sexist pig. I pray that the women of America see right through his blatant exploitation.Predictable and it shows hes running scared. OBAMA for President. Enough is Enough.
" My Body Might Be Broken, but My Spirit and Soul are Alive and Well " my personal mantra

Offline atlq

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 07:40:54 am »
And don't forget about the polar bears!....

« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 07:48:10 am by atlq »

Offline atlq

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 07:54:00 am »
Fun Fact: The McCain/Palin ticket has 10 homes between them:

http://politicalwire.com/archives/2008/08/29/palins_homes.html

Just sayin'....

Offline Cliff

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2008, 06:49:59 pm »
Have you guys seen reports that:

a) Palin was in Texas at an energy conference while 8 months pregnant (with a special needs child, Trig).  Her water broke (or leaked, depending on the story) and yet she chose to remain at the energy conference to give a speech but then boarded a 10 hour flight (a layover in Seattle) for Alaska.  Kinda odd given it was a high risk birth and her 5th, so labor could have been relatively short.

b) Alleged reports that she wasn't really pregnant but was faking a pregnancy to cover for the pregnancy of her teenage daughter, Bristol.  Seems rubbish.

c) That Bristol is indeed pregnant and the family is covering it up (but Trig is her brother).  Seems more plausible.

See McCain's daughter blog.  Bristol is generally the one covering her stomach, usually with Trig.  But the picture labeled "Getting ready for the People Magazine photo shoot" gives a side view.

http://www.mccainblogette.com/postings/083008_0928.shtml

It's a family matter, but does bring to question Palin's beliefs against teaching sex education in high school and allowing teenagers access to birth control/condoms.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2008, 07:10:15 pm »
The pregnant story seems way out there, but I suppose anything is possible. I do believe her candidacy will implode before October. If it does, it's President Obama.

It is a weird story, very Northen Exposure.

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2008/08/things-that-mak.html

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2008, 07:26:35 pm »
It's probably a blatantly unfair comment, but I'm troubled by the idea of a semi-literate VP.  Take a look at this letter she wrote trying to get her ex-brother-in-law fired.  She doesn't seem to know the difference between "who" and "whom" or "incident" and "incidence"...

http://media.adn.com/smedia/2008/07/23/10/palin-email.source.prod_affiliate.7.pdf

I know, I know, Bush set the bar pretty low, but even so...
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline atlq

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 07:44:50 pm »

Offline atlq

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2008, 07:54:47 pm »
From deep within the files of the Mccain campaign, it has been unearthed. Sarah Palin's resume....

http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/8/30/134821/488

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2008, 09:49:52 pm »
Does this require a login ID?  I can see the comments but not the file?

From deep within the files of the Mccain campaign, it has been unearthed. Sarah Palin's resume....

http://www.mydd.com/story/2008/8/30/134821/488
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Catman

• Blessed with more than 9 lives! + since 1986
    • Who is the Catman?
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2008, 10:37:43 pm »
I am not a republican, but I cannot stop smiling about McCain's choice! It's pretty exciting about picking a woman to get back to what the Democrats did not dare do. More so with the "experience" this lady has. It's so fun and getting so much attention that it's like a reality show, "oh, it is reality!" Who knows, if they win maybe she'll give us a big surprise at those who laughed! :o

I do congratulate McCain for his bravery in breaking the Republican norm! ;D Maybe he is showing a different personality now so people will stop comparing him to Bush!
Catman

Meow to the birds
Meow to the tree's
Meow to the end
of this dreadful disease...

Offline atlq

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2008, 10:52:58 pm »
Does this require a login ID?  I can see the comments but not the file?

Trust me...you saw it....

I am not a republican, but I cannot stop smiling about McCain's choice! It's pretty exciting about picking a woman to get back to what the Democrats did not dare do. More so with the "experience" this lady has. It's so fun and getting so much attention that it's like a reality show, "oh, it is reality!" Who knows, if they win maybe she'll give us a big surprise at those who laughed! :o

I do congratulate McCain for his bravery in breaking the Republican norm! ;D Maybe he is showing a different personality now so people will stop comparing him to Bush!

yeah, good luck with that...

Offline atlq

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2008, 08:36:43 am »
From the August 29th People:

Sen. McCain, of all the candidates you considered, what drew you to her?

JOHN: Obviously, I found her to be very intelligent and very well-versed on the issues. But I think the important thing was that she's a reformer. She's taken on special interests since she ran for the PTA and the city council and mayor. The courage, I guess, is what most impressed me

Wow...taking on the special interests in the Wasilla, Alaska PTA is now a qualification for the Vice Presidency....Hey Senator Mc Cain, I was chairman of the yard sale committee for my previous neighborhood association....how bout considering me for Treasury Secretary?...Jebus H. Christ...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 08:40:34 am by atlq »

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2008, 10:15:07 am »
LOL @ Hal   ;D 

Some commentator on FOX news said "well she does have some foreign relations experience; she lives in Alaska and isn't that right next to Russia?"     SERIOUSLY.   

Maybe at the convention she'll wear an American flag G-string and two pinwheels for pasties and stick sparklers in her up-do.    Oh wait, they may have to DELAY the convention, out of concern for the Gulf Coast.....

it's all about timing.

;)

"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2008, 12:09:18 pm »
Some commentator on FOX news said "well she does have some foreign relations experience; she lives in Alaska and isn't that right next to Russia?"     SERIOUSLY.   

:D :D
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline StrongGuy

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2008, 12:26:00 pm »
I scanned some of the liberal blogs and it seems they are trying to find anything and everything to throw at her and see what sticks. The conspiracy theory that her daughter really had her last child made me shake my head - people really need to know when to land the ship. And it reeks of knee-jerk panic.

Seems like the wider media is giving Palin pretty good reviews. My Republican friends seem really pumped up. Having the right-wing grassroots and noise machine fired up is a plus for McCain alone.  Once again the Republicans will control the narrative as they are so adept at doing in these presidential elections.

And a CNN poll today has the race tied and the tracking polls are all deflating back to closer levels. And Laura Bush today warned the Democrats about sexism against Palin. They are playing this choice like a violin while the left is throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks and is lucky the MSM isn't running with some of this conspiracy junk as it will just tarnish Obama.

Doesn't surprise me though...I'm an optimist generally, but not when it comes to Democrat's ability to win presidential elections. It's gonna be a nail biter IMHO.

"Get your medical advice from Doctors or medical professionals who you trust and know your history."

"Beware of the fortune teller doom and gloomers who seek to bring you down and are only looking for company, purpose and validation - not your best physical/mental interests."

"You know you all are saying that this is incurable. When the real thing you should be saying is it's not curable at the present time' because as we know, the great strides we've made in medicine." - Elizabeth Edwards

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2008, 12:31:16 pm »

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2008, 12:37:18 pm »
My apologies for the length of this; I got this e-mail this morning (pasted):

Regardless of who you are planning to vote for, please read this email I received from a good friend. Please share this with as many people as possible.

This is from a Bryn Mawr college grad to her fellow alums

Dear classmates -

As an Alaskan, I am writing to give all of you some information on
Sarah Palin, Senator McCain's choice for VP. As an Alaska voter, I
know more than most of you about her and, frankly, I am horrified that
he picked her.

The most accurate description of her is red neck. Her husband works in

the oil fields of Prudhoe Bay and races snow mobiles. She is a life
time member of the NRA and has worked tirelessly to allow
indiscriminate hunting of wildlife in Alaska , particularly wolves and
bears. She has spent millions of Alaska state dollars on aerial
hunting of these predators from helicopters and airplanes, dollars
that should have been spent, for example, on Alaska 's failing school
system.

We have the lowest rate of high school graduation in the
country. Not all of you may think aerial predator hunting is so bad,
but how anyone (other than Alaska wolf-haters, of which there are
many, most without teeth), could think this use of funds is
appropriate is beyond me. If you want to know more about the aerial
hunting travesty, let me know and I will send some links to
informative web sites.

She has been a strong supporter of increased use of fossil fuels, yet
the McCain campaign has the nerve to say she has "green" policies. The
only thing green about Sarah Palin is her lack of experience. She has
consistently supported drilling in ANWR, use of coal-burning power
plants (as I write this, a new coal plant is being built in her home
town of Wasilla ), strip mining, and almost anything else that will
unnecessarily exploit the diminishing resources of Alaska and destroy
its environment.

Prior to her one year as governor of Alaska , she was mayor of Wasilla,
a small red neck town outside Anchorage.The average maximum education
level of parents of junior high school kids in Wasilla is 10th grade.
Unfortunately, I have to go to Wasilla every week to get groceries and
other supplies, so I have continual contact with the people who put
Palin in office in the first place. I know what I'm talking about.

These people don't have a concept of the world around them or of the
serious issues facing the US . Furthermore, they don't care. So long as
they can go out and hunt their moose every fall, kill wolves and bears
and drive their snow mobiles and ATVs through every corner of the
wilderness, they're happy. I wish I were exaggerating.

Sarah Palin is currently involved in a political corruption scandal.
She fired an individual in law enforcement here because she didn't
like how he treated one of her relatives during a divorce. The man's
performance and ability weren't considered; it was a totally personal
firing and is currently under investigation. While the issue isn't
close to the scandal of Ted Steven's corruption, it shows that Palin
isn't "squeaky clean" and causes me to think there may be more issues
that could come to light. Clearly McCain doesn't care.

When you line Palin up with Biden, the comparison would be laughable
if it weren't so serious. Sarah Palin knows nothing of economics
(admittedly a weak area for McCain), or of international affairs,
knows nothing of national government, Social Security, unemployment,
health care systems - you name it. The idea of her meeting with heads
of foreign governments around the world truly frightens me.
In an increasingly dangerous world, with the economy in shambles in
the US , Sarah Palin is uniquely UNqualified to be vice president.

John McCain is not a young man. Should something happen to him such that
the vice president had to step in, it would destroy our country and
possibly the world to have someone as inexperienced and inappropriate
as Sarah Palin. The choice of Palin is a cheap shot by McCain to try
to get Hillary supporters to vote for him. when McCain introduced her
today, Palin had the nerve to compare herself with Hillary and
Geraldine Ferraro.

Sarah Palin, you are no Hillary Clinton.
To those of you who, like me, supported Hillary and were upset that she
did not get the nomination, please don't think that Sarah Palin is a
worthy substitute. If you supported Hillary, regardless of what you
think the media and the democratic party may have done to undermine
her campaign, the person to support now is Obama, not Sarah Palin. To
those of you who are independent or undecided, don't let the choice of
Palin sway you in favor of McCain. Choosing her shows how unqualified
McCain is to be president.

To those of you who are conservative, I
guess you have no choice for president. But please try to see how the
poor choice of Palin tells us a great deal about McCain's judgment.
While the political posturing inherent in the choice of Palin is
obvious, the more serious issue is the fact that the VP is, literally,
a heartbeat away from the presidency. Sarah Palin is totally and
unequivocally unqualified to be vice president, let alone president.
I know this is a lengthy and emotional email, but the stakes are high.
I thought it might help for all of you, regardless of political
affiliation, to know something about Palin from someone who has to
live with her administration in Alaska on a daily basis.

Here's a sample of Alaskan's responses:
She is really just a mayor from a small town outside Anchorage who has been a governor for only 1.5 years, and has ZERO national and international experience. I shudder to think that she could be the person taking that 3AM call on the White House hotline, and the one who could potentially be charged with leading the US in the volatile international scene that exists today. Rose M., Fairbanks , AK

She is VERY, VERY conservative, and far from perfect. She's a hunter and fisherwoman, but votes against the environment again and again. She ran on ethics reform, but is currently under investigation for several charges involving hiring and firing of state officials. She has NO experience beyond Alaska . Christine B., Denali Park , AK

As an Alaskan and a feminist, I am beyond words at this announcement. Palin is not a feminist, and she is not the reformer she claims to be. Karen L., Anchorage , AK

Alaskans, collectively, are just as stunned as the rest of the nation. She is doing well running our State, but is totally inexperienced on the national level, and very much unequipped to run the nation, if it came to that. She is as far right as one can get, which has already been communicated on the news. In our office of thirty employees (dems, republicans, and nonpartisans), not one person feels she is ready for the V.P. position.Sherry C., Anchorage , AK

She's vehemently anti-choice and doesn't care about protecting our natural resources, even though she has worked as a fisherman. McCain chose her to pick up the Hillary voters, but Palin is no Hillary. Marina L., Juneau , AK

I think she's far too inexperienced to be in this position. I'm all for a woman in the White House, but not one who hasn't done anything to deserve it. There are far many other women who have worked their way up and have much more experience that would have been better choices. This is a patronizing decision on John McCain's part- and insulting to females everywhere that he would assume he'll get our vote by putting "A Woman" in that position.Jennifer M., Anchorage, AK

Please forward this to everyone you know!
Best regards,

Bentonne

I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2008, 12:39:14 pm »
Yep, it's official, she's preggers. So much for Palin teaching abstinence only. I'm sorry, but they should have come clean on this before accepting the nomination. Like I said her candidacy will implode.

I feel sorry for the daughter.

Offline atlq

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2008, 12:41:42 pm »
I scanned some of the liberal blogs and it seems they are trying to find anything and everything to throw at her and see what sticks. The conspiracy theory that her daughter really had her last child made me shake my head - people really need to know when to land the ship. And it reeks of knee-jerk panic.

Seems like the wider media is giving Palin pretty good reviews. My Republican friends seem really pumped up. Having the right-wing grassroots and noise machine fired up is a plus for McCain alone.  Once again the Republicans will control the narrative as they are so adept at doing in these presidential elections.

And a CNN poll today has the race tied and the tracking polls are all deflating back to closer levels. And Laura Bush today warned the Democrats about sexism against Palin. They are playing this choice like a violin while the left is throwing everything at the wall to see what sticks and is lucky the MSM isn't running with some of this conspiracy junk as it will just tarnish Obama.

Doesn't surprise me though...I'm an optimist generally, but not when it comes to Democrat's ability to win presidential elections. It's gonna be a nail biter IMHO.

Yeah Strong,  the great reviews are just rolling in.....

http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,3607280,00.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/republican_race/2008/08/30/2008-08-30_sarah_palins_motherinlaw_uncertain_about.html

http://frum.nationalreview.com/post/?q=M2VhOWE0N2VkOWI3MDdlODRlZWE4ODljMDc2NjliZDk=

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/31/AR2008083101553.html?sub=new

Haven't heard the one about the baby...and have no desire to....there are plenty of real reasons to oppose (and mock) this travesty....

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2008, 12:42:37 pm »
Seems the daughter is pregnant.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080901/pl_nm/usa_politics_palin_dc_3

Conceiving children out of wedlock runs in the Palin family.  The Governor did the same thing with her first child.  For some reason I'm quite sure it says not to allow this in the Bible, but then hypocrisy was never the evangelicals' strong suit.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2008, 12:47:39 pm »
The conspiracy theory that her daughter really had her last child made me shake my head - people really need to know when to land the ship. And it reeks of knee-jerk panic.

Yeah, and nobody believed that Larry Craig had been stall camping at Union Station in DC for years before his star power toe tapping in the Minneapolis airport.

You have to admit that it's very strange to know that you're pregnant with a Downs Syndrome baby, have your water break during a speech in Texas, and then fly back on a 9 hour flight to Alaska to give birth.  I'm not a female, but from what I've heard one immediately goes to a hospital when this occurs.

It's also rather strange to keep your child out of school for 5 months for having Mononucleosis.  When I had mono I was only out of commission for 10-14 days IIRC.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 12:50:26 pm by philly267 »

Offline atlq

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2008, 12:48:07 pm »
Well Philly, now we get a chance to see her much celebrated principles in action...as she forces her 17 yr old daughter to have a baby and marry the father so that mommy can get a better job!...

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 12:52:09 pm »
I also find it VERY ODD that ANY woman with a 4 month old Downs Syndrome child would even consider running for Vice President.  I guess the real mother, the one that's pregnant again and is the daughter, will actually be taking care of the child.

PRAISE!

Offline atlq

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2008, 12:53:16 pm »
PRAISE! 

Indeed....

Offline revann33

« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2008, 01:15:31 pm »
I knew something was up with the daughter because I have yet to see Palin hold her baby since the announcement.  The daughter was always holding him. I guess we know why.

It does speak volumes to the rep view of teaching abstenance only.  It's working! ;)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2008, 01:20:12 pm »
A senior McCain campaign official said the McCain camp was appalled that these rumors had not only been spread around liberal blog sites and partisan Democrats, but also were the subject of heightened interest from mainstream news media.

This is laughable. Obama had to set up a website to fight the lies and rumors started by the Republicans and perpetuated by the main stream medium.

All of this does not reflect on the Palin's as much as it does on McCain's judgement.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2008, 03:09:43 pm »
Evidently, Gov. Palin is also not very intelligent.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2008, 03:37:09 pm »
Hey Hi, You All,

I am a little confused on this lady.  We know she was a beauty queen, Miss Small Town, somewhere.  Someone I know said, he thought she had been a cheerleader.  A lady on the news said they really miss her.  She seems sweet and nice, the girl next door and loved in her community.  She works, she is a mom.  Isn't she the Mayor?  How is she qualified to be second in command of the USA?

Has McBush chosen a beautiful, loving (and possibly, not very bright) running mate as a joke?  This could be more fun the Dan(it's a pleasure to be in Latin America, now I wish I could speak Latin) Quayle, the jokes will write themselves.

OR

Is this candidate a sheer genius in disquise?

As of today, if I were Republican, I would never admit it in public  ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2008, 03:45:40 pm »
 ;D

Since I already reserved a space here, I may as well ask another question.  It is beginning to appear the Palin family could put the FUN in dysfunctional and the VP candidate is a mother and a grandmother.  Is it possible this is a publicity stunt?  The press announced Mitt Romney was scheduled to be at the RNC, following the DNC, but Mike Huckabee was not scheduled to attend.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 04:03:15 pm by Sonomabeach »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #45 on: September 01, 2008, 03:51:11 pm »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2008, 07:42:26 pm »

Not that I am paying attention, But it seems that Palins unmarried 17 year old daughter is pregnant :

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/01/palin-my-daughter-is-preg_n_122947.html

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline atlq

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2008, 08:46:07 pm »
It seems that you can't fool all of the people all of the time...

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2008_09/014502.php

Offline atlq

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2008, 08:51:07 pm »
ABC NEWS CONFIRMS THAT PALIN WAS AN AIP (ALASKA INDEPENDENCE PARTY) MEMBER...

Country first, my ass...

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2008/9/1/193111/4427/159/582600

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2008, 09:32:03 pm »
wow... that's rather serious

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.