Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:19:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 638
Total: 638

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Complete Blood Count Question...  (Read 2426 times)

Offline thinkertwo

Complete Blood Count Question...
« on: April 13, 2009, 02:37:39 pm »
I went to a different doctor at my medical center today.  She seemed a little concerned that my HGB is low 12.00 and my MCV is low also (she said it is common for the MCV to be high when the HGB is low; something about cells being small rather than large)...in any event she asked me to follow up with my doctor.  When I went though my labs over the last two years this seems to be consistant.  Anyone know what that means and whether I should be concerned.

I also noticed my liver enzymes were a little high.  My bilirubin has stabilized at @4.0 from 5.0 over the last two years but my ALT 56, SDY 45 and CK 561 (this is always high) has risen.  I'm on Tavada, Norvir,and Reyataz.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Re: Complete Blood Count Question...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 07:28:06 pm »
Hey Thinkertoo,

I wouldn't be overly concerned with your HGB result.  It probably makes sense to follow up with you doctor -- a 12 HGB is a little low for a man (although, not terribly so).  If it's been consistently low over the last 2 years, then it's probably not because you are bleeding anywhere  Again, your doctor can do a proper diagnosis with some more testing, if he/she thinks it is necessary.  Of course, it is entirely possible that a 12 HGB is "ok" for you -- we are all different.
As for a low MCV (basically, the average size of your RBCs) -how low are we talking -- there are a whole host of reasons for microcytosis (low MCV) -- one of which is anemia.  I think your different doctor is wrong -- when I worked in a hematology lab, I do not recall seeing macrocytosis (high MCV) routinely when folks where anemic.  Although it can be a sign of Vit B12 or Folate deficiency - which can cause anemia.
Bottomline -- ask your doctor -- clearly he/she has not been alarmed over the last 2 yrs -- but if you are concerned, ask!

As for you enzymes -- the Bili is most likely a benign side effect of the Reyataz.  I'm on that too, and my bili tends to go up and down.  The others -- again, ask your doctor -- he/she may be able to help you understand what is/might be causing these higher reading.  BTW I've not heard of an SDY enzyme -- my clinical chemistry is not great, but this was never a routinely performed test in any lab that I've ever worked.

Mike

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
Re: Complete Blood Count Question...
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:36:22 pm »
thinkertwo

On my lab, std range is 13.8   - 18.8 g/dL for the haemoglobin, on others you may find 12-18
Got a friend border line on those counts along with MCV, MCH, MCHC before meds.
Doc typically first think light anemia (if liver/kidney functions ok -ALT 56 is above 40, but under 200, the treshold where usually something may go wrong).
In his case, he get prescribed Autrin (contains B12 + Folic acid + Vitamin C + etc) and his count have improved.

He also started HAART and got perfect FBC after 6 months.

Looking at my own counts, I m seing a stable Hgb over the last year, with few lower values (2-3) of 1-2 point lower (but then back to the usual level).

The body is complex isn't it ? Still adapting.

ALT might increase not only because of the liver, but sometime because of the heart also.

As for the CD4/VL, I guess that with FBC, what matter the most is the trend.

I personnally stopped to stress for anything:

My moto: if it's new, no worries. Could it be a bad count, pimple, etc.
If it last for what I will consider as too long, treat it.

Personnally, if I were having the counts you are presenting, I won't stress at all.
But for sure, I will listen what the doc says and let me know what should I do next.

Keep Well,
John

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.