Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:31:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 441
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 337
Total: 339

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gilead see KP-1461 as a possible cure for HIV  (Read 58218 times)

Offline Mark Fromhold

Re: Gilead see KP-1461 as a possible cure for HIV
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2011, 05:10:48 pm »
Unfortunately, I'm unable to respond to each individual post, but as a follow-up to my earlier post associated with KP-1461 and the viral reservoirs, I encourage all who are interested to use the following link to access a podcast interview I did with Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News earlier this year.  Accessing the audio file will require you to register for “free access," and the associated interview (~15min) will provide a much more comprehensive overview of KP-1461.  Here is the link: http://www.genengnews.com/gen-podcasts/nonsuppressive-drug-therapy-for-hiv/331/

Offline ichigo_kun

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2012, 05:31:40 pm »
is there any updates regarding kp-1461 ? , i dont know but from all the clinical trials and hiv cure research, i bet for kp-1461 . i got a strong feeling about this one , i hope so heheheh

Offline leftalone

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2012, 06:08:19 am »
@ Meech.. why do you counter every positive thinking?? Are u born this way??? or this virus has changed you this way!! I guess we should keep a positive attitude coz we are positive !! lol .. 8)
Cd4 612 , VL-106042 @19% as on 08/28/2012

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2012, 03:04:03 am »
@ Meech.. why do you counter every positive thinking?? Are u born this way??? or this virus has changed you this way!! I guess we should keep a positive attitude coz we are positive !! lol .. 8)

You are replying to someone's post from a year ago, and Mecch was just pointing out the logic that hiding a cure for HIV would never work.

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2012, 05:34:46 pm »
My guess is, if Gilead felt threatened by Koronis, they would buy the rights to the technology, put it in a box and close the lid... for a long time.   Given the less than stellar results from the Koronis studies, Gilead could merely state that additional in-house investigation raised doubts about efficacy and the company has terminated research of KP-1461... simple as that.

If Gilead thought it did work, it would be an ace in their hand, to be ressurected when a credible threat emerged from a competitor.  Remember, commercial companies are in business to maximize profit.  Their fudiciary responsibility is to their shareholders, not their patients.   

This is why public and non-profit funding (like the Gates foundation and Hughes Medical) is so important. They help keep the rest of the industry ethical.

I am hopeful for a cure.  I am skeptical about conspiracy theories, very prevalent among some people, that "evil" "Big Pharma" or the US Government, or the Illumaniti, have a cure and are hiding it, or will squash a cure, when it is discovered, to maximize profit and return to shareholders.   Duh.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Dr.Strangelove

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2012, 10:20:54 pm »
I think, everyone who has a slight idea of how research in this field works would agree with Mecch. Most of the basic research that has been done has been publicly funded, which means that the results are published and freely available for the benefit of everyone. What pharmaceutical companies do is pick up promising leads and develop them further to the point where they can start clinical trials.

Sangamo for example did not invent the zinc finger nucleases (ZFN). Those existed before and Sangamo just saw the potential of using them to disable the CCR5 gene in CD4 cells. The basic functioning of their approach is no secret. If they don't develop a treatment based on this mechanism and patent it, some other company will give it a shot.

The whole conspiracy theories about a cure held back are just nonsense...

Offline JazJon

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2012, 04:18:11 am »
You know what the worst is.. is when people tell me there IS already a cure.. but the pharmcompanies don't want to let it out.. I have a hard time believing this. It would get out for sure. But it makes me nervous that so many people are convinced of this. I'm not one for conspiracy theories.. and obviously a cure is very important to me.  It seems like they're just one small breakthrough away from it... but it's very elusive *_*

I hate when people say that. Its so dumb to say such a thing.

Out of the hundreds (or thousands) of conspiracy theories made up over the past 300 years, name ONE that ever turned out to be true.   That's pretty much how I view each and every conspiracy theory that lingers on and on.  Nobody can keep a secret all the way to their death bed.   I would like to think we can trust the majority of people would have some sort of basic minimal level of humanity out there.

Offline nursepoz24

« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2012, 01:17:23 pm »
let us not lose hope. Pray. everything is in God's perfect timing. :)

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2012, 08:49:59 pm »
let us not lose hope. Pray. everything is in God's perfect timing. :)

Who's God? Does he post here?

Offline AlexMerida

« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2012, 09:15:28 pm »
We need more than  just  a pray
the CCR5 gene expression in CD4 cells that HIV uses it is very well known  at least 10 years  before now!!!!

the concept of reservorio is very ambiguous

ARV will NEVER DESToRY THE VIRUS ..... (this is something wery well known too at least 15 year )

The leaves and the branches of a tree can be cut again and again, but once you stop cutting them the tree returns to grow. why? Perhaps because the tree does not die if someone just cut the leaves and the branches. Is the tree hidden?  The reservoir could be the roots….
You need to remove the roots in order to kill a tree in many cases
ARV just cut the leaves and the branches.
Why academia are just looking where the virus is hiding. Academia knows where the virus is…

Any approach trying to flush, clean or whatever to the “ reservoir”  WIL TAKE MANY MANY YEARS ( Dr. Margolis)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.