Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

A newbie! My first post! My first labs!

(1/2) > >>

Nashvegas:
Hey everyone.  I'm a 43 year old man who found out about six weeks ago that I was positive.  I experienced a classic sero-conversion episode in early August '06, and suspect that I was infected earlier in the summer.  By the time my doctor confirmed that I was poz, I was pretty much prepared for the news: no tears, no rending of garments, no sleepless nights.  But a part of me was still scared shitless. 

Fortunately, I quickly found this forum.

I've got a wonderful partner (he's negative -- we'll celebrate 20 years together next April) who has been great in dealing with the news.  Incredibly supportive.   At the suggestion of my doctor, however, I've refrained from telling anyone else about being positive.  While I think that's the best course for me at this time, I've really felt the need to connect with other people who are in the same boat.  This forum has provided that connection for me, even though my only activity to date has been reading the postings.

My first labs came back about a month ago: CD4 - 561, viral load - 8,000; 29%.  I'll go back in the next couple of weeks to run the numbers again.  But in the meantime, I'm just trying to keep a positive attitude, take a little better care of myself, and live every day to the fullest.

Anyway, just want to say "Thanks" to everyone who's posting here.  It's especially reasuring to read posts from POZ folks who've been healthy for years and years. You're an inspiration, and a reminder to me that life doesn't end with a positive test result. 

More to follow....

Eldon:
Hello Nashvegas,

It is unfortunate that you have tested HIV positive. However, it is a goood thing that have become aware of this so that you can take better care of your health. Your labs DO indicate a good set of numbers and now it is all about taking care of yourself. It is good that you have your partner by your side which has dedicated himself to being supportive to you. In this arena you need to have a good strong support system.

I wish to extend to you a warm WELCOME here at the forums. Here you will find the encouragement, communication, understanding, support, some cries, some laughter, and many of your questions relating to HIV/AIDS answered.

We have a great group of Real people who will listen as well as answer you. Feel free to come and vent with whatever is on your mind from time-to-time.

In the interim,eat a diet high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, lean protein, and low-fat dairy and avoid processed foods, saturated and trans fats. This will also help you maintain a healthy weight.

Exercise at least three times per week for a minimum of 30 minutes.

Make the BEST of each Day!

Andy Velez:
Welcome, Nash,

You've come to the right place. It'll take a while to get accustomed to having HIV in your life, but gradually it will fall into being a part of your life and not as enormous as it may feel from time to time these days.

What's important now is for you to develop a good partnership with your doctor in keeping you well. Part of that is having your numbers monitored regularly, but it's also important for you to be able to ask questions when you need to.

Take your time about disclosing to other people. I agree with your doctor about that issue. You may find some helpful suggestions in the lesson on this site about disclosure.
It's great that you have a loving and supportive partner. By talking as simply, openly and honestly as you can about your thoughts and feelings you can maintain and even deepen the intimacy in your relationship.

You also need to know that many thousands of sero-dystonic couples, (and some of them are regulars here), are having good lives together in every way, including sexually. Of course you do have to always use condoms for intercourse, whomever is the insertive partner.

You're always welcome here to ask questions or to discuss anything that's on your mind.

Welcome,

BKNYLivin:
Welcome Nash! I was also recently diagnosed and this is a very supportive place - you'll probably have a few questions over the next few weeks/months and I'm sure you'll find some answers here. It's great to hear you have a supportive partner, that must be very comforting. Not sure what it's like where you live, but I'm sure there must be some HIV support services - sometimes it helps to talk face to face with someone else(other than our loved ones).
Your numbers are good - concentrate on staying healthy.

aztecan:
Hey Nash,

Welcome to the forums. Make yourself at home. It is a great place to find support, information and fellow hi-fivers who understand.

I look forward to hearing more from you.

HUGS,

Mark

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version