Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:47:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772964
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 123
Total: 123

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: i hate dogs...  (Read 6693 times)

Offline idee

• Hi...
i hate dogs...
« on: July 13, 2013, 09:10:58 pm »
I used to like dogs before I owned them as an adult.
I mean my husband believes a trained dog is an unhappy dog. So he refuses to train them.
He asks me to call the dog whisperer, yeah right! I would have to do the work behind the scenes to get them into acting good and he'd take the credit.
I said if he wants the dog whisperer then call himself. At elast he is taking the first steps to being more responsible for their existence.

Offline Dachshund

Re: i hate dogs...
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 09:38:45 pm »
What with the toilet seat and now this. Sounds like you need to get your husband house broken and trained.

Offline Habersham

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 06:26:48 am »
This makes me curious where your dog was during your home invasions   Usually if a stranger breaks in and attempts to hurt a family member the dog goes nuts   Dogs tend to be a deterrent to burglars as they can't anticipate how the dogs will react
Because I Can

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 10:19:42 am »
If you truly hate dogs as an adult, perhaps it's best to not own one.  I had a lot of initial thoughts just from the title alone, but I'll refrain.  Or perhaps it's just a reminder that I just had a beloved pet put to sleep?  I'd gladly tolerate any behavioral issues if I could be afforded the opportunity to spend valuable time with her. 

Someone who accepts the responsibility of being a caretaker of a pet should take that responsibility seriously!
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 11:28:34 am »
Your husband is wrong about a trained dog being unhappy.  Dogs have literally evolved to take every single cue from us.  They look to us for every facet of their lives.  There's a really good documentary on Netflix ( http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Dogs_Decoded_Nova/70148726?locale=en-US ) about how dogs and people are interwoven.  Anyway a dog doesn't get unhappy from taking commands, they simply see it as interaction with a person which they love.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 12:30:02 pm »
I like dogs, cats and gerbils!

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 01:51:23 pm »
If you truly hate dogs as an adult, perhaps it's best to not own one.  I had a lot of initial thoughts just from the title alone, but I'll refrain.  Or perhaps it's just a reminder that I just had a beloved pet put to sleep?  I'd gladly tolerate any behavioral issues if I could be afforded the opportunity to spend valuable time with her. 

Someone who accepts the responsibility of being a caretaker of a pet should take that responsibility seriously!

I would give anything to get these dogs a new home. I had a cat and a dog as a pet before and they literally attached themselves to me. They just knew me and knew how to act right.
These dogs are my husband's and when I try to tell them not to lick the couch or naw on the *$$ for fifteen minutes he thinks I am mean. I mean these dogs will naw or lick on themselves until they have blisters or can hardly walk.
Then I stop them from licking the couch pillows until they leave sloppy wet spots.
I guess I really hate that my husband won't train the dogs.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 01:54:56 pm »
What with the toilet seat and now this. Sounds like you need to get your husband house broken and trained.

the toilet seat was the person who came to look at our house. But I brought my Husband so far and he thinks he "fixed" me. He as literally said he has fixed me. I don't say a word because my friends know me and they say that I have brought him so far. I mean when I first visited him in the beginning of our relationship I did twelve loads of laundry. He would just go out an buy new things when he ran out of things to wear. That I think is kind of cute. But the dog thing annoys me.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 01:57:55 pm »
Your husband is wrong about a trained dog being unhappy.  Dogs have literally evolved to take every single cue from us.  They look to us for every facet of their lives.  There's a really good documentary on Netflix ( http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Dogs_Decoded_Nova/70148726?locale=en-US ) about how dogs and people are interwoven.  Anyway a dog doesn't get unhappy from taking commands, they simply see it as interaction with a person which they love.

I know I have treats and he gives them to the dogs because he thinks they are good boys. I give them to the dogs when they do good things. Like sit and not bark when our family members come over. Then they will literally lead me to the cookie box.
I am the one who told my husband not to use a stick to threaten the dogs when they do wrong because it does not teach it just threatens.

Offline james3000

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 02:00:18 pm »
I think You Should adopt these Dogs out to another home. Really not a good situation for you and the dogs. Have you tried Kijji or the local Humane society. I am sure someone will love these dogs !

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 02:15:58 pm »
I would give anything to get these dogs a new home. I had a cat and a dog as a pet before and they literally attached themselves to me. They just knew me and knew how to act right.
These dogs are my husband's and when I try to tell them not to lick the couch or naw on the *$$ for fifteen minutes he thinks I am mean. I mean these dogs will naw or lick on themselves until they have blisters or can hardly walk.
Then I stop them from licking the couch pillows until they leave sloppy wet spots.
I guess I really hate that my husband won't train the dogs.

The dogs are licking themselves BECAUSE of the blisters and if they are having trouble walking they need to see a vet. Seriously, these dogs need to be in a better environment.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 03:06:50 pm »

If the dogs are licking their @$$ and gnawing on themselves there is probably an issue that's causing them to do this.   It has nothing to do with training.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 04:52:07 pm »
These dogs need to get the hell out of your home before your husband breaks their spirit, threatening a dog with a stick is close to animal abuse as far as I'm concerned.

These dogs deserve a good and decent home.

Jan
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 06:30:23 pm »
The dogs are licking themselves BECAUSE of the blisters and if they are having trouble walking they need to see a vet. Seriously, these dogs need to be in a better environment.

The dogs have licked these blisters onto their own feet. The one has anxiety do to idiopathic epilepsy. They also do not live outside, they sleep in our bedroom on their own little beds.
We've had the vet check them out, in fact I am the one who takes them. I am always congratulated by the vet for their improvements. (They were abused in another home.)
I am just tired of being the only one who cares for them.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 06:34:02 pm »
These dogs need to get the hell out of your home before your husband breaks their spirit, threatening a dog with a stick is close to animal abuse as far as I'm concerned.

These dogs deserve a good and decent home.

Jan

My husband no longer threatens them with a stick because I once put myself between the stick and the dogs. And I told my therapist what my husband used to do this past April and she talk to him. I threw the stick out.
I did talk to a friend of ours who loves dogs and he is taking the one with epilepsy, the anxiety ridden one. SO I am hoping with just one dog I can manage.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2013, 06:39:38 pm »
I think You Should adopt these Dogs out to another home. Really not a good situation for you and the dogs. Have you tried Kijji or the local Humane society. I am sure someone will love these dogs !

I will keep those in mind. Our one friend who loved his dog and cried when she passed of cancer, wants our dog. My husband agreed to give him to his friend. His friend has a good size back yard and a female dog our dog really likes. Yeah... they're both fixed.
THe one staying with us is calm and does not bark out of anxiety or lick things. He enjoys taking naps with me and also listens when I call him or tell him to sit. He will bark because it is like telling his brother to stop. The two will try and fight. We constantly have to watch them together. It is nerve racking.
So the one will have a new home and I am glad.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 06:54:23 pm »
I will keep those in mind. Our one friend who loved his dog and cried when she passed of cancer, wants our dog. My husband agreed to give him to his friend. His friend has a good size back yard and a female dog our dog really likes. Yeah... they're both fixed.
THe one staying with us is calm and does not bark out of anxiety or lick things. He enjoys taking naps with me and also listens when I call him or tell him to sit. He will bark because it is like telling his brother to stop. The two will try and fight. We constantly have to watch them together. It is nerve racking.

Sounds like you've found a good solution.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2013, 08:01:40 pm »

Aww poor thing.  The lady upstairs from me has a dog that has a mental disorder.  While Cindy (the dog) is a challenge for her she loves that dog to death.  When I see her and the dog outside I have to stand about 20 feet away and say Cindy's name about 3 times until she recognizes me, only then is it ok to approach.  She is a big dog but will actually have seizures if approached without her seeing you first.   During the 4rth of July the vet gave Cindy's owner some tranquilizers to put her out.  The owner told me last year Cindy almost died from going into shock while people lit off their fireworks.

Idee, I'm glad you found a solution to this.  I'm a huge animal lover.... well, except for hamsters. 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2013, 08:08:24 am »
I used to have a Jack Russell cross who had occasional seizures. She never lost consciousness and the vet said they didn't happen often enough and weren't severe enough to warrant giving her sedatives. When she had one, I'd mainly have to make sure there was nothing near her that she could hurt herself on. They'd pass within a few minutes, but of course it always seemed much longer.

The only time it was a real problem was the couple of times it happened while we were out in public. People would crowd around giving well meaning suggestions and otherwise fussing about. This always had the effect of prolonging the seizure and I'd have my hands full making sure Tansy was safe and trying to get people to back off at the same time.

The first time she ever had one, I was in my bedroom having a clear-out of my closet and drawers and she was lying on the bed supervising. (She loved to supervise anyone doing any work - my partner at the time used to call her the foreman.)

I had my back turned when I heard a crash. I turned around and she was on the floor, having taken a large portion of clear-out stuff off the bed with her. I started telling her off, thinking she was messing around, when I realised she was having a seizure. Poor thing, she was freaked out enough without being told off too!

After that, my biggest fear was that she'd have one at the top of the stairs (we lived in a top-floor flat, with a private entrance at ground level with stairs going up) so I'd have to make sure the door to the stairs was always closed after that. It was bad enough she fell off the bed having a seizure, I shudder to think what would have happened if she fell down the stairs.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2013, 01:16:37 pm »
Aww poor thing.  The lady upstairs from me has a dog that has a mental disorder.  While Cindy (the dog) is a challenge for her she loves that dog to death.  When I see her and the dog outside I have to stand about 20 feet away and say Cindy's name about 3 times until she recognizes me, only then is it ok to approach.  She is a big dog but will actually have seizures if approached without her seeing you first.   During the 4rth of July the vet gave Cindy's owner some tranquilizers to put her out.  The owner told me last year Cindy almost died from going into shock while people lit off their fireworks.

Idee, I'm glad you found a solution to this.  I'm a huge animal lover.... well, except for hamsters.

I was the one who saw him have his first seizure and has no idea what was going on. All I though about was moving the nightstand to keep him form hitting his head. My husband got mad because I let him fall off the bed. I was asleep when his seizure came on, so it startled me awake and as soon as I saw him he was falling off of the bad.
I still bothers me my husband blames me for something I had no idea about.

Offline idee

• Hi...
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2013, 01:21:39 pm »
I used to have a Jack Russell cross who had occasional seizures. She never lost consciousness and the vet said they didn't happen often enough and weren't severe enough to warrant giving her sedatives. When she had one, I'd mainly have to make sure there was nothing near her that she could hurt herself on. They'd pass within a few minutes, but of course it always seemed much longer.

The only time it was a real problem was the couple of times it happened while we were out in public. People would crowd around giving well meaning suggestions and otherwise fussing about. This always had the effect of prolonging the seizure and I'd have my hands full making sure Tansy was safe and trying to get people to back off at the same time.

The first time she ever had one, I was in my bedroom having a clear-out of my closet and drawers and she was lying on the bed supervising. (She loved to supervise anyone doing any work - my partner at the time used to call her the foreman.)

I had my back turned when I heard a crash. I turned around and she was on the floor, having taken a large portion of clear-out stuff off the bed with her. I started telling her off, thinking she was messing around, when I realised she was having a seizure. Poor thing, she was freaked out enough without being told off too!

After that, my biggest fear was that she'd have one at the top of the stairs (we lived in a top-floor flat, with a private entrance at ground level with stairs going up) so I'd have to make sure the door to the stairs was always closed after that. It was bad enough she fell off the bed having a seizure, I shudder to think what would have happened if she fell down the stairs.

I was sleeping and my dog startled me awake as he was falling off of the bed. I reached out for him but I was too late. I got up and moved the night stand from his head area. I had no idea what was going on, I was crying. And all my husband could do was get mad because I let him fall off of the bed. He yelled at me and made me feel like I was wrong for not catching him.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.