Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:23:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 192
Total: 193

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Kiss the election goodbye, Republicans  (Read 22171 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Kiss the election goodbye, Republicans
« on: August 11, 2012, 01:13:25 am »
NBC is reporting that Paul Ryan will be Romney's VP choice. Now they'll be openly running on ending Medicare. Good times.

And this is bound to play out huge in down ticket Congressional races.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline ds4146

Re: Kiss the election goodbye, Republicans
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 01:42:38 am »
Was just reading that a few moments ago. Their chances are next to none but feel the urge to make a donation to Obama. Oddly enough this stupid pop up ad appeared at the same time....http://www.inter-dry.com.....which after hindsight seems appropriate for the potential nominee and party. And no I don't have those issues, others, but not those.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 03:10:32 am »
I got the NBC News alert on my phone a couple hours ago.  I thought he would go with Ryan.  He needs to excite the base.  But, Ryan's budget plan is going to hurt them, I believe.   

I haven't been that worried about the election.  Although, I never believed Bush could win.  Although, we know he didn't really win, but he was close enough to have the Supreme Court decide.  I've been seeing the newest polls are showing Obama gaining a good lead.  Romney should have picked Michele Bachmann.  Now, that would have been a winning ticket.  ::) 

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 08:23:24 am »
Ohh goody - the administration will hand out copies of Atlas Shrugged at Christmas celebrations at the Mormon Tabernacle.  Surely that will create a black hole sucking the lot of them deep into oblivion.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 09:16:10 am »
These are all good points, especially #5, as well as the link to The New Yorker which, oddly, was printed five days ago.

And keep in mind that Ryan managed to get through his high school years due to Social Security payments, because his father died.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 09:19:24 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline mecch

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 09:47:36 am »
Romney doesn't like to be specific about anything.  Ryan will help policy stick onto Romney.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 09:56:57 am »
It's always difficult to predict how things will actually play out in politics,  but one good thing is that if Romney loses,  Ryan (and his Ayn Rand philosophy) will then be out of Congress.  Two turds with one stone and good riddance to both of them.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 10:04:01 am »
I think this is the first time someone running for VP is actually younger than I am.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 10:29:08 am »
It's always difficult to predict how things will actually play out in politics,  but one good thing is that if Romney loses,  Ryan (and his Ayn Rand philosophy) will then be out of Congress.  Two turds with one stone and good riddance to both of them.

Why do you say that?  I've not seen anything that says Ryan isn't staying in the running for his seat in Congress.  I'm pretty sure he can do both.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 10:36:33 am »
Oh I'm not worried at all.........Let them end Medicare, I'll just use my VA benefits that I'm entitled too  ;)

Hugs

DEN  :)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 01:40:09 pm »
Oh I'm not worried at all.........Let them end Medicare, I'll just use my VA benefits that I'm entitled too  ;)

Such compassion and concern you have for others, Marie Antoinette.   ::)

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 01:58:09 pm »

Hugs

Hehe. You think VA isn't on the chopping block as well? That's adorable.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 02:07:13 pm »
You all need to lighten up a bit...lol   who ever is elected, nothing will change all that much, the Pres & vice has no real power to do any such thing, this is only a scare tactic that is used every 4 yrs.....lol 

Hugs

"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline NY2011

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 02:15:13 pm »
right, and the USA is still not reeling in the damage that Bush/Cheney camp did in the White House.
10/26/2011 - SEROCONVERSION (fever+rash, 104 degrees F)
10/31/2011 - CD4= 154  VL>500,000 
10/31/2011 - started on Truvada+Prezista+Norvir
12/14/2011 - CD4= 750 VL=6412 (45%)
01/27/2012 - switched to Atripla
04/23/2012 - CD4=1,221 VL= 140  (47%)
06/22/2012 - CD4=1,224 VL= ud    (49%)
12/18/2012 - CD4=1,031 VL= ud    (51%)
09/16/2013 - CD4=1,151 VL= ud   (49%)
03/26/2014 - CD4=1,050 VL= ud
11/25/2014 - CD4=1,335 VL= ud
12/01/2015 - CD4=1,115 VL= ud (55%)
11/22/2016 - CD4=1,071 VL= ud (52%)
06/01/2017 - CD4=1,014 VL= ud (53%)
switched to Biktarvy in 2018
04/23/2019 - CD4=1,072 VL= ud (52%)
01/15/2020 - CD4=  925  VL= ud (50%)

Offline denb45

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 02:16:06 pm »
The Prez & V.P. are executive branch, can only veto or sign a law into being..... the legislative branch (house & Senate) are the ones who can change or make a law such as taking away medicare and the budget... And Judicial is where we go to see if the law is constitutional....

case-in-point  The Prez & V.P don't make any of these laws, so RELAX, and get your ass out there & VOTE, only you can make a difference  ;)

Hugs

DEN

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 02:25:50 pm »
Thanks Dennis. I always thought that the Vice President wrote all of the laws, and that Congress mowed the grass outside of the White House. I'm very happy this has been cleared up.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 02:29:43 pm »
The Prez & V.P. are executive branch, can only veto or sign a law into being..... the legislative branch (house & Senate) are the ones who can change or make a law such as taking away medicare and the budget... And Judicial is where we go to see if the law is constitutional....

How in the hell did I miss this in High School?

Edited to Add:

nah nahnah nah nahnah na nahnah na..

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 02:31:21 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline denb45

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 03:16:30 pm »

" Holly SHIT Batman do you think most folks will like me as your running mate"

Hugs

Offline mitch777

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 04:14:57 pm »
maybe this is EXACTLY what was needed to get the liberals, elderly, gays, "minorities", and women out to vote.
most of the same groups that the conservaholes want to stay home with the new voter restriction laws.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 04:18:58 pm »
maybe this is EXACTLY what was needed to get the liberals, elderly, gays, "minorities", and women out to vote.
most of the same groups that the conservaholes want to stay home with the new voter restriction laws.

Gods, I hope so. Apathy is an irritating Democratic trait. Not exclusive, but damn, you'd think...

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2012, 06:06:12 pm »
How in the hell did I miss this in High School?

Edited to Add:

nah nahnah nah nahnah na nahnah na..

The TV show, "Murder She Wrote" was filmed in Mendocino Calif.  In the opening, Angela Landsbury is riding her bicycle down Ukian Street with grand old homes on the coast as a background.  In real life, a man known locally as "Batman" lived in one of those homes with his parents.

Batman would cruise the bars every night looking for cock and was quite direct in his approach.  The town gave him the name because of his love for cock and his likeness (in cape) was featured in ZAP comics.   8)  Have the best day
Michael

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2012, 06:36:43 pm »
Romney announces Ryan as Next President.  Ok, we all make mistakes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjLsJgbcqWg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

But, then there's the video of President Clinton whispering to Ryan.  I guess you have to compromise to get things done, but where do you begin to do that in the Ryan budget plan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZ4DMSvXVk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2012, 06:57:56 pm »

But, then there's the video of President Clinton whispering to Ryan.  I guess you have to compromise to get things done, but where do you begin to do that in the Ryan budget plan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omZ4DMSvXVk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Just saw that clip on the news. Love how he asks Ryan to call him.

"Call me maybe "

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2012, 08:04:37 pm »

Hugs

Hello Dennis,

Actually, this is something all us Vets, will have to watch, and continually fight for. According to the following, ( if enacted) the Ryan budget, will slash 11 billion from the VA.

By the way, Check this website out:

http://votevets.org/home

Here's some discussion:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jon-soltz/gop-budget-doesnt-even-sa_b_1370899.html

Do Republicans care about keeping our promise to veterans?

Looking at the recently released GOP budget, written by Rep. Paul Ryan, it's hard to see how they do. In fact, looking at the nearly 100 page document, the word "veteran" doesn't appear once. Not once.

Today is the 9th anniversary of the start of the Iraq War. Last night, I spoke with someone who served with me in Iraq during my first tour. And for the first time in almost nine years, she wanted to talk to me about an incident where she drove through an IED and a soldier was killed. It was a profound moment that shows how war and sacrifice stay with us, always. For those of us who served, in many ways, yesterday is today. And today, we read that the GOP doesn't even talk about veterans in their budget.

But, without saying the word "veteran," the budget tells us a lot about what they think about veterans. The budget calls for across the board spending freezes and cuts. If enacted, the Ryan GOP budget would cut $11 billion from veterans spending, or 13 percent from what President Obama proposes in his own plan.

It's unconscionable that they'd do this at a time when so many Iraq veterans have just come home and rely on veterans care. Over 45,000 US troops were wounded in Iraq and Afghanistan, and more will come who will rely on VA services, on top of veterans of other wars and eras who depend on the VA. But, this shortsightedness isn't new.

Back in 2005, President Bush underfunded the Department of Veterans Affairs by about a billion dollars, despite its need. The result? Secretary Jim Nicholson was forced to crawl before Congress and plead with it to pass emergency supplemental spending, just so it could keep the doors open. After that debacle, I have to admit, I never thought Republicans would do the same thing again, if for no other reason than that it just looks bad politically, leaving aside the horrible effect it would have on veterans in need.

Additionally, after the backlash against ending Medicare the last time Paul Ryan released a budget, they're at it again. That, too, affects veterans. I was speaking with one veteran in Missouri, who lost both of his legs in Iraq. His care now relies largely on Medicare, as it does for so many veterans who were wounded. In fact, older veterans, even those not wounded, rely on Medicare like any other senior. So, no, I couldn't believe that Paul Ryan and the GOP would again propose ending Medicare.

Yet, here we are. A budget from the GOP that short changes veterans, horribly. And where does that money go? Not to reducing the debt. The debt as a share of GDP would actually increase under the Ryan plan. The money doesn't go towards anything, really. But it does go towards some people. As in $3 trillion in tax giveaways to the richest Americans and corporations. People like Mitt Romney, who already pays a tax rate lower than most of our troops.

That's the choice the Ryan plan presents to America -- do we want to fund the wealthiest Americans and corporations, or keep our promise to our veterans? Ryan and the GOP say the former. I can't believe that most Americans wouldn't say the latter.

(((hugs))  --Ray

« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 08:07:19 pm by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline denb45

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2012, 08:19:21 pm »
Agreed Ray, and thanks for that info, so we all need to get out and VOTE and not let this happen,  if you do nothing it just might happen, your one vote can and does make a difference  ;)

hugs

DEN  ;)

Offline mecch

« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2012, 08:09:44 am »
This dream team has a radical vision for the future of America.  Gut social safety nets dating to the New Deal. Gut the federal government generally and thoroughly. The "wealth creators" need to pay very little taxes.  THey don't really talk about  trickle down.  ANY economy is due to the actions of the "wealth creators" and we should thank them for that.  Crappy jobs.  Millions permanently disqualified to ever make a living wage.  All part of the revolution, maybe one somewhat started by Clinton, a Democrat, for that matter, with the free trade agreements.  I think there is some fuzzy idea that eventually in a few decades it will all shake out and American will have become thoroughly post-industrial, with lots of services everyone in the world needs, and a few precision products and industries keeping the US super wealthy. But confusingly, also still a huge military.  I dunno. Maybe the vision is more radical.  The USA returns to a sort of Southern slave economy. The super rich live on their vast estates and thrown alms to the poor, who are not enslaved to the rich person but to the companies they own, which provide the poor nothing but shacks and enough calories to continue working, and a smidgeon of hope. But inescable, life-long debts.  For school. Doctors. The shack. Food. etc.

Romney is quite clear that he is the man to take us there because he has never paid a cent more in income taxes than necessary, and hopefully this means just about zero.  Cause all that capital was used in the quick and ethereal movements of global financial investing, moving money around and multiplying it, which is what keeps economies afloat. The global 1% - these are the people making it all possible, moving the wealth through banks, shares, bonds, back to banks, real estate, currency speculations, commodity speculations, dividends, interest, then banks, etc etc etc etc.   

How dare we question how this is done.  Trust him.  He knows.  Dont ask for explanations.  Dont ask for proof.  Go back to your crap ass job at 7 eleven selling questionable cookies that the 1% is never going to eat.  (Cause they have the cash for the good stuff from around the world, or housekeepers or cooks baking fresh.) 

There is something very Italian merchant princes and Spanish Royal Family about this scenario.   I think the Romneys of the world believe they are enlightened, untouchable, adventurous types ready to deliver the USA and the world into an entirely new world order. 

But Romney, I dunno, I think hes going to sail his ship (the usa) right off the edge into the pit of dragons, cause he's nothing special and his vision is nothing but smoke and mirrors.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 08:20:42 am by mecch »

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2012, 08:27:15 am »
This dream team has a radical vision for the future of America. 

Sure does:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWyk-Mr6cfc&feature=player_embedded#!

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2012, 10:50:12 am »
this is such a scary duo to me.   Anyone watch Romney give a speech and move his head back and forth with such arrogance.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline bocker3

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2012, 12:12:49 pm »
I don't know -- I don't see Ryan as the anti-christ.  I certainly don't agree with his policy positions and have no plans to vote for the Romney/Ryan ticket.   However -- I give Ryan huge kudos for trying to have a conversation about the big entitlement programs. 
SS and Medicare are completely unsustainable as they exist today.  Yes, one can rant about all the trust fund money having been spent and yada yada yada -- but you can't undo it.  We have to do something with these but no one dares to bring it up, because the other side instantly denomizes them (already we are hearing how Ryan wants to throw grandma under the bus).  Ryan is trying to insist that we have this conversation -- I hope he suceeds at forcing that to happen - not "getting his way", but getting a REAL CONVERSATION going.  Of course the likelihood is next to nil, because neither side is willing to budge -- no new taxes from the right, no "cut" in benefits, age increases or means testing from the left.  It's insanity -- it will just continue the kicking big problems forward for someone else to solve, only no one ever does.

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2012, 01:04:47 pm »
Let's bring things back on topic, shall we?

A better question would be: If I swallow Paul Ryan's hot cum load will I become a tea bagger by osmosis?

ps: do you regularly hang out with the losers on data lounge?

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2012, 01:08:02 pm »
A better question would be: If I swallow Paul Ryan's hot cum load will I become a tea bagger by osmosis?

ps: do you regularly hang out with the losers on data lounge?

Only if you can get past this:

A: no, I just figured it would be only a matter of time before someone posted that they thought Ryan was hot on these forums.

Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2012, 01:15:37 pm »
I don't know -- I don't see Ryan as the anti-christ.  I certainly don't agree with his policy positions and have no plans to vote for the Romney/Ryan ticket.   However -- I give Ryan huge kudos for trying to have a conversation about the big entitlement programs. 
SS and Medicare are completely unsustainable as they exist today.  Yes, one can rant about all the trust fund money having been spent and yada yada yada -- but you can't undo it.  We have to do something with these but no one dares to bring it up, because the other side instantly denomizes them (already we are hearing how Ryan wants to throw grandma under the bus).  Ryan is trying to insist that we have this conversation -- I hope he suceeds at forcing that to happen - not "getting his way", but getting a REAL CONVERSATION going.  Of course the likelihood is next to nil, because neither side is willing to budge -- no new taxes from the right, no "cut" in benefits, age increases or means testing from the left.  It's insanity -- it will just continue the kicking big problems forward for someone else to solve, only no one ever does.

From what I have read Obama was willing to cut a "big bargain" about all of this in July 2011 and it was specifically Cantor and Ryan that killed it, specifically in a power play to undercut Boehner. Yeah, he's really deserving of kudos. Not to mention that the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office has repeatedly said that his lofty budget proposals don't do what he says they will.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2012, 01:17:12 pm »
Only if you can get past this:

A: no, I just figured it would be only a matter of time before someone posted that they thought Ryan was hot on these forums.

He's no Schock, that's for sure

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2012, 02:10:01 pm »

Past regimens

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2012, 02:13:07 pm »
But ya gotta admit this turns up the heat.

Oh, he doesn't look good there at all. If he didn't have blue eyes nobody would notice him. Folks get sucked into the blues too easily. If you want fierce colored eyes, check out Josh Henderson's heterochromia effect.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2012, 02:13:20 pm »
From what I have read Obama was willing to cut a "big bargain" about all of this in July 2011 and it was specifically Cantor and Ryan that killed it, specifically in a power play to undercut Boehner. Yeah, he's really deserving of kudos. Not to mention that the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office has repeatedly said that his lofty budget proposals don't do what he says they will.

Yes -- it is reactions like this that make it impossible for anything to get accomplished.  God forbid we ever acknowledge that someone we don't agree with might be doing something that good lead to good. 
I never said his proposal was something I liked, it was his willingness to bring up the hot potato and keep it up.  Obama got a some pushback and dropped it -- instead resorting to scare tactics, rather than trying to talk.
Again -- I'll reiterate before you jump on me -- I don't agree with his proposals.  It's the conversation I want to see happen -- few things survive as original proposals, but nothing survives if everyone is unwilling to do the "hard" stuff, but rather go with the easy path of denomizing.
When we see nothing happening in Washington -- it ain't all the politician's fault -- we play a big role in it too.  There are too many voters unwilling to listen and learn, just like there are too many politicians unwilling to do what is needed.
Use your own post here as an example -- you said NOTHING about the crux of my post -- the importance of the conversation around entitlements -- you went right for why Ryan is such an evil man.

Mike

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2012, 03:20:14 pm »
Yes -- it is reactions like this that make it impossible for anything to get accomplished.  God forbid we ever acknowledge that someone we don't agree with might be doing something that good lead to good. 
I never said his proposal was something I liked, it was his willingness to bring up the hot potato and keep it up.  Obama got a some pushback and dropped it -- instead resorting to scare tactics, rather than trying to talk.
Again -- I'll reiterate before you jump on me -- I don't agree with his proposals.  It's the conversation I want to see happen -- few things survive as original proposals, but nothing survives if everyone is unwilling to do the "hard" stuff, but rather go with the easy path of denomizing.
When we see nothing happening in Washington -- it ain't all the politician's fault -- we play a big role in it too.  There are too many voters unwilling to listen and learn, just like there are too many politicians unwilling to do what is needed.
Use your own post here as an example -- you said NOTHING about the crux of my post -- the importance of the conversation around entitlements -- you went right for why Ryan is such an evil man.

Mike

1) you seem to be mistaking my pointing out a historical fact as a personal attack, which is odd in itself

2) one can't discuss spending cuts in the absence of the revenue issue. Democrats have expressed a willing to do so, but Republicans are unwilling to discuss both mostly because they tie their own hands by signing Grover Norquist pledges.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2012, 03:41:32 pm »
1) you seem to be mistaking my pointing out a historical fact as a personal attack, which is odd in itself
Hmm... perhaps it was the sarcastic "Yeah he's really deserving of kudos" remark AND the movement of the discussion from the conversation back to his political posturing.  Perhaps "attack" wasn't the right word -- it's the negating any possibility of good intent.

2) one can't discuss spending cuts in the absence of the revenue issue. Democrats have expressed a willing to do so, but Republicans are unwilling to discuss both mostly because they tie their own hands by signing Grover Norquist pledges.
Won't disagree on either point -- we won't tax our way to a solution and we won't cut our way there -- we must look at both.  The Republicans seem to be completely blind to the optics of putting the desires of an unelected egomaniac over those of the American people (and yes that was an intentional attack on Grover and the Republican's political strategy).
Although one wonders if the Democrats raise this willingness only because they know the Republicans won't bite.  It gives them great political cover.  I suppose this climate makes it hard to understand sincere attempts over grandstanding and the recent history points more to the cynical side of that.

M

Offline mitch777

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2012, 05:41:44 pm »
nice debate here guys.
i think i am about as liberal as one can get but i see the math and always thought means testing wasn't such a bad idea to help solve the solvency issue.
and yes...
ryan is cute in a way but a sheep in wolves clothing...
yikes!
scarey.
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2012, 06:21:25 pm »
Its funny how the pundits on both sides are lauding Romney's VP pick of Paul Ryan as  the a defining moment in his campaign . It certainly cant be a good thing for a candidate when your VP pick is the first indication of what you plan to do with your time in office , and lets face it , Romney has been intentionally vague on this issue . I'm thinking this is yet another example of what a weak candidate Romney is within his own party.   

John McCain's pick for a VP and Romney's pick this cycle shows how out of touch the Republican party is with the rest of the country . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2012, 07:34:44 pm »
If I was a conspiracy theorist - which I am not...
I would propose that the pick of Ryan as running mate is basically the Republicans thowing the election --- they don't want to win..... YET...

Just like John McCain's pick of Sarah Palin.... was an obvious poor choice...
The Republicans knew that with the economic crisis being what it was - the President elected in 2008 wasn't going to get us out of the mess... it was easier to give up the Presidency and instead be able to gain control of the House (where more power rest with the majority party)...

If the Democrats keep control of the Presidency - the Republicans are almost assured of getting control of both side of the House and can get through more of their agenda - then get a Republican President elected in 2016 (if the world is still here --- post 2012 Mayan calendar) and get at least 8 years in of Republican control in the Presidency and most likely on both sides of the House....

IJS.. if I were a conspiracy theorist ---   ::)
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2012, 07:49:03 pm »
I think a more plausible scenario is most of the Romney campaign's internal polling was looking even worse than what we've recently seen from CNN/NBC/Fox etc. Romney is from the establishment wing of the GOP, so by bringing Ryan on board this will spread the blame to the conservative wing as well, as essentially they'll be running on his budget plan which is 100% tea bagger. And Romney know all about the science of risk aversion from his years at Bain. If he'd brought another establishment person onto the ticket like Palenty, etc. and lost it would open the door next cycle to someone really insane like Santorum.

And the other factor is once you're 100 days out from an election and thinking your side might lose, the party apparatus starts to silently try to contain things down-ticket, so that it doesn't become a nasty wave election in Congress.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2012, 07:57:35 pm »
I think Ryan is Hot ;)

(you are welcome Solo)

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2012, 08:00:25 pm »

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2012, 08:03:47 pm »
I think Ryan is Hot ;)

(you are welcome Solo)

-Will

If you weren't in such a hurry to raise your lipids through the roof, you'd have seen someone else has already beaten you to the punch (see reply #39).

:D

Past regimens

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2012, 08:06:47 pm »
If you weren't in such a hurry to raise your lipids through the roof, you'd have seen someone else has already beaten you to the punch (see reply #39).

I'm not sure whether to blame her bad diet or her shrunken testicles for this one.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2012, 08:09:42 pm »

What did you say> Im sorry I cant hear you through this mouthful of Ice Cream.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2012, 08:10:59 pm »
PS: I thought Ryan's ass would be too flat for you  :o

Past regimens

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2012, 08:17:38 pm »
PS: I thought Ryan's ass would be too flat for you  :o

Oh lawd. Who's dressing this guy? Bozo? Look at his hemline, LOL. Not to mention the small family of minorities that moved out of his ass.

*edited for racism

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.