Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:39:08 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 677
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 639
Total: 640

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just switched meds  (Read 3312 times)

Offline JJ80909

• April 1, 2010
Just switched meds
« on: November 11, 2010, 10:36:49 am »
I started on Atripla last May with no side effects at first.  In late July/early August I found it difficult to stay asleep, had some viviid dreams, experienced the mental fogginess, became more depressed, started getting nauseous for most of the day and generally just was feeling pretty crappy.  I was also under a lot of stress at work -- which may relate to the onset of the side effects.  My ID put me on Phenergan for the nausea and Ambien to sleep.

I discussed these side effects with my ID last week, and she switched me from Atripla to Norvir and Prezista twice a day and Truvada once a day.  I started this regimen on Monday, 8 Nov.  So far so good -- the nausea has gone, and sleep has been good.   I am still guarded on the depression issue as I am trying to learn to live with this disease, not have the disease control my life.  Going from one pill a day to five a day is an adjustment, but if it helps me feel better, I can do it.

I'm curious if any of you had similar experiences with side affects starting several weeks after starting a drug regimen, rather than right away.

Thanks!
April 1, 2010: Confirmed Poz
March 2010:  VL at 217,455
May 2010:  CD4 at 190, waiting genome testing
May 2010: Started Bactrim and Atripla
July 2010:  CD4 at 270; VL is undetectable
Nov 2010:  CD4 at 245; VL is UD
Nov 2010:  Switched from Atripla to Truvada, Prezista and Novair
Jan 2011:  CD4 at 294; VL is UD

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
Re: Just switched meds
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 12:43:08 am »
I'm sorry to kinda go off topic, but was there a reason your doc put you on such an unwieldy combo?  A popular alternative is isentress/truvada which is twice a day, a few other things dosed once a day. 
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 03:29:51 am »
Hello

Good about the side effects subsiding from the old combo.

Since you have no resistance to PIs (the drug class that Prezista belongs to) you can take two 400 mg Prezista tablets plus one 100 mg Norvir capsule once a day. This is 100mg less Norvir, which is always good (better for cholesterol).

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline JJ80909

• April 1, 2010
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 06:23:33 pm »
 wtfimpoz, Newt:

Thanks for the feedback, i really appreciate it and will talk to the Doc when I go back in three weeks -- I have been on this combo now for five days now and feel better -- I hope it is not a fluke, but a better combo for me.  I have had a new sense of energy these past few days, which I have not had in months.

The Truvada is labeled "Truvad 30's 200 - 300 mg Tabs"
The Prezista is 600 mg tabs 9(taking 1200 mg a day)
The Norvir is 100 mg tabs (taking 200 mg a day)

I am on Crestor for cholesterol now, and if I can reduce the dosage the Prezista and Novir, that may be better for my liver. 

Again, thank you for the feedback!   :)

James

nychope1

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 11:25:47 pm »
Just started the Atripla five nights ago and was taking it with ambien. Stopped the ambien two nights ago and besides one rough night without it last night I slept pretty well. I personally don't think taking ambien to cope with a med is a good long term strategy so you probably made the right decision. Just an opinion. Good luck.

Offline JJ80909

• April 1, 2010
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2010, 10:34:14 am »
I thought I'd post an update after seeing my ID this week.  I discussed with her what was posted here with the new regimen and she agreed to change. She indicated her usual protocol for new patients was the two Prezista and two Norvirs twice a day.  She has changed it to once a day -- but the single dose of Prezista will increase from 600 (1200 mg a day) to 800 mg once a day, plus the just one 100 mg of Norvir and the Truvada.

I have had some side effects, but am not sure yet if it is a seasonal cold (and dry heat) or the new therapy.  The new side effects started a few days before I saw her.  I've had an unusual thirst and dry mouth, and itchy skin. It also seems my appetite has increased.  That part I need to watch.  I will add I've had my glucose checked and am in the normal ranges. I've also experienced some diarrhea - not a lot or daily. If I don't feel better as far as the dryness goes, I'll go back in a talk with her.

I have my labs ordered for next month -- CD4, VL, lipids and kidney functions.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.