Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:42:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 237
Total: 237

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: The silver lining in the clouds  (Read 4901 times)

Offline woodshere

• ain't no shame in my game
The silver lining in the clouds
« on: December 21, 2006, 09:14:05 am »
Let's just say this has been a crappy year. Mar-diagnosed HIV+; Apr-CD4 at 179 start meds; Jul-sister develops bacterial infection that puts her out for several weeks; Sept-nephew in car accident that breaks vertebrae in lower back; Nov-sister begins divorce proceedings; Dec-as in yesterday mom has heart attack, receives 2 stints in arteries that had 99% blockage.  It is a year I would prefer not to repeat.  But in spite of it all I am very fortunate.  I have a decent job with very good insurance.  I am able to continue to do my various side jobs.  I feel better physically than I have in a long time. I have met some great people in an HIV+ social group.  I have even done some dating for the first time in 3 1/2 years.  And then last night after keeping my status a secret I told 2 of my dearest friends.  Their response was why did you wait so long to tell us.  I am lucky!  So I think if you look hard enough you can find good things.  However I sure hope 2007 is less traumatic.
Cheers,
Woods
"Let us give pubicity to HV/AIDS and not hide it..." "One of the things destroying people with AIDS is the stigma we attach to it."   Nelson Mandela

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: The silver lining in the clouds
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2006, 10:44:30 am »
Good for you, Woods. Great outlook you have.

Life does keep tossing "stuff" our way. That's just the deal.

Like you I am glad to be alive and rockin' 'n rollin' along. Whatta trip!

Big cheers,

Andy Velez

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 12:21:46 pm »
Woods, I wish your mother a quick recovery, having been around my father when he had his and a quadruple by-pass some years back.  Your trick, if I can call it that, is that while all of this is going on around you, you can still take care of yourself and get your own needs met, if only so that you can handle the 2006 events.  Wishing you a much better 2007, including one for all your family members.  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 12:28:51 pm »
Hey, sending well-wishes for you for 2007 - You're a trooper

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 12:58:19 pm »
2007 hopefully should be a better year for you and all of us. 2006 was the worse year of my life so far so I am ready to say goodbye to it. Lets just not make the same mistakes in 2006 also in 2007.
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 01:35:08 pm »

Wood,

I have to compliment you on the great attitude you have during such a difficult time.   If I had an ounce of that I would be so much farther along than I am now.   I hope you mother will be ok...

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Longislander

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 05:41:19 pm »
Hi Woods, sorry about your mom, hope she's well soon.

Sounds like a pretty tough year, but you've got a handle on it. All those you mentioned are still here with you, and you've got 2 more supporters to take you into 2007!!

All my best,
Paul
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Eldon

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 09:38:48 pm »
Supporting You

Hey Woods!

It is GOOD to hear from you! I do agree that it has been one heck of a year for all of us. There was a lot of adjusting as well as learned lessons gotten. In fact, as I look back I can pull all of the positives out of it.

Just keep in mind that in this life, we all will go through a number of experiences that can be either positive or negative. It is GOOD that you see the positives and you are thankful.

I send my prayers and best wishes fro you mother and her recovery and for the rest of your family as well. It is also GOOD that you have shared your status with your (2) two dearest friends as this will only ADD to your current support system as we all need this in our lives. Take care of YOU!

"Don't Give Up, Don't Give In... Cause it is ALL within you to WIN!"

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 10:07:26 pm »
Me and Will's thoughts - "If it were not for all the exterior forces placed on us, we would be happier.  Our parents are getting older, more febal and will eventually not be with us".  Hell we have had them this long, 42 + years at 78-85 years old??  So how do you work around these outside forces?   We have no control over these.   This is just life, and its real and no dress rehearsals...  The curtain is up.  Enjoy the show and make the most out of this life stuff.   Spin it the way that makes you the most happiest....   If you can...   I would say...

Love ya Woods,

Offline Jnm594

• Fight! Fight! Fight the Good Fight!
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2006, 05:48:01 pm »
Sometimes Hope and Faith is all we have hon. And I'm not talking about that cheesy tv show either!

If we look hard enough we can find the best in any situation instead of finding the worst in it. But If I get in the way I'll usually screw it up. Know what I'm saying??

Jeffrey
When it gets hard I always listen to my favorite song of all time..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJEYu3KgWCE

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.