Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:43:53 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773293
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 701
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 615
Total: 616

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: double dose or missed dose - what's worse?  (Read 3921 times)

Offline walkingpoz

double dose or missed dose - what's worse?
« on: June 02, 2012, 12:40:48 pm »
just a hypothetical question:

in case i am not sure whether i have already taken my dose of isentress, is it worse to double dose or to miss a dose?

i take one isentress in the morning and one isentress + truvada in the evening.

thank you in advance :)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: double dose or missed dose - what's worse?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 01:31:06 pm »
I never understood this but I'm going to ask my doctor in the next weeks when I see him.   I thought it makes sense to take your missed dose as soon as you remember you missed it, and then just take the next dose as scheduled.  The caveat being that makes sense if you are NOT yet at your next scheduled time.

I dont see the point of double the amount of drugs taken at the same time, after a missed dose.  Hypothetically, it would seem the past is in the past, so if the level of drug has dropped, you can't correct the past by a double dose now.  Wouldnt the regular dose just return the drug level in your blood back to normal. Why could a double dose help? Seems like it would just put too much drug in circulation.   
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline walkingpoz

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 01:43:47 pm »
thanks for the answer, but i think you've got me a little wrong :D

i was talking about not remembering whether i have taken the pill or not. so i might have taken a pill but might as well have not taken a pill because i am just not sure. in that case (me being not 100% sure if i have taken my dose of isentress) should i just take an(other) isentress which could mean that i have then eventually taken two doses or should i not take an isentress which could mean that i have then eventually missed a dose of isentress in worst case scenarios.

Offline mecch

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 01:47:45 pm »
I got you  pretty right. I  am on the same combo and as I dont pill count, though I should, and so should you, right? then we wouldn't be wondering - it does not make sense to me to double dose at any time.  Each prescribe dose is putting the right amount into the body, and a double dose is NOT going to correct the 12 hours in the past when the level may have dropped.  Right?

So you are also asking, what if you DID take that last dose.  Then there was no problem, so why double dose.....  And if you didn't, well the new double dose is not going to correct the past.   

So I am going to ask my doc about this as I said, and post back.  But I dont see him for two weeks.  In the meantime, I think more experienced people will pipe in here.

I think I have occassionally taken the truvada 12 hours apart instead of 24.  Or 36 hours apart, instead of 24. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 01:49:34 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 01:51:00 pm »
And thanks for asking.  Reminded me to start pill counting!!  My old ID told me I could take all 3 pills just once a day but my new ID told me to go back to the split dosing......

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 01:51:34 pm »
since adherence needs to be >=95%, one shouldn't worry about a missed dose. And as meech pointed out, it seems pointless to double the med in your system. It's not like it'll fight HIV any harder just because you put more into your system. It's actually probably a lot more toxic doubling up the amount of HAART in one's system anyway
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline vaguesbleues

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 01:14:25 am »
I remember trying to count pills when I first started taking Atripla (and at 1 pill a day, you'd think that'd be easier!).  I eventually just went to Walgreens and picked up one of those weekly pill boxes, one that has a slot for every day of the week.  That way, on Sunday I can put in the pills for the entire week.  It's very easy that way to tell if I've missed a dose when I wake up in the middle of the night and am debating "Did I take it?  Or no?"  The pill boxes are only a few bucks and save tons of worrying and time in having to count pills. 
3/10/11 - HIV-
4/26/11 - Inconclusive WB
5/19/11 - HIV+, VL < 50, T-Cell 747 (30%)
6/13/11 - VL 345, T-Cell 841 (30%)
8/23/11 - VL 50,100, T-Cell 1155 (19%) - CMV
9/18/11 - Started Atripla
11/7/11 - VL 489, T-Cell 881 (31%)
2/8/12 - VL Undetectable!, T-Cell 772 (34%)
8/8/12 - VL UD, T-Cell 1070 (42%)
11/5/12 - VL UD, T-Cell 1174 (35%)
3/18/13 - VL UD, T-Cell 972 (28%)
10/4/13 - VL UD, T-Cell 1025 (34%)
2/9/14 - VL UD
7/31/14 - VL UD
1/29/15 - VL UD, T-Cell 1027 (32%)
9/15/15 - VL UD
10/21/16 - VL UD, T-cell 765 (39%)
4/28/17 - VL 29
8/17 - started Genvoya
10/27/17 - VL UD, T-cell 880 (35%)
3/30/18 - VL UD
9/28/18 - VL UD, T-cell 980 (34%)
4/19/19 - VL UD
10/18/19 - VL UD
10/22/20 - VL UD, T-cell 1005 (35%)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.