Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:14:03 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772952
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 486
Total: 488

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Undectable....Real or not?  (Read 3114 times)

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
Undectable....Real or not?
« on: August 31, 2007, 10:47:08 pm »
Please do tell me if I'm wrong but have the blood tests done in hospitals not changed for a significant amount of time? Are they truly accurate? And with all the money thats going into research, why are the viral load/cd4 tests still relatively the same?
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline CJWAUS

Re: Undectable....Real or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 02:17:45 pm »
My results used to say undetectable level was less than 50, now they say 20 or 30. I forget, but I know it has gone down it shows <20 or <30 one or the other.  I was told a few times that there is a large plus or minus error side with the CD4 however.  I was told by Legacy in Portland, and Harborview (U of WA) in Seattle that the CD4 test can be off as much as 50%.  I don't know if that's true or not but for the past 4 years my CD4 was always over 1000, sometimes as high as 1700, but once it went down to 750 and they retested it the next week and it was up to around 1500, so I think they may be right.

I do know for a fact though that my use of meth was hard on the CD4 numbers.  When I used the numbers would drop down slowly from around 1700 to about 1000.  When i stopped they would slowly go back up over a 6 month period.  I stupidly repeated the cycle 3 or 4 times and it happened every time.  Meth is like fertilizer for HIV.  The longest I have stayed off meth was 6 months and I got quite close to 1800. Some have argued with me that those number are impossible but I have the lab reports in my files.  I've kept copies of every HIV related test report from the old days when the test came back negative to the positive result report, then the numbers reports.

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 02:53:47 pm »
They are accurate within the sensitivity and error margin parameters of the specific test

So, yes/no/kinda

cd4, accurate to approx +/-50 either way
VL, approx three-fold error margin

They give a snapshot of how things are in that ml of blood at the time the test was performed. Only a tiny % of yr viral population is actually circulating in you blood though. Plus, as you know, cd4 can be affected by numerous random things, like time of day, other infections, the lab used/human error etc etc.. n then some days, i'm sure they just head for the beach, or the hills  :)  stuff like this, why we look at trends, rather than individual results

I'm not sure I understand the other part of your question..?? - as above poster notes, vl tests have become increasingly sensitive over the years (& so the goalposts of magic undetectable have shifted)  One of the questions for clinicians/researchers now is, how low do we need to go..? in terms of monitoring, suppression etc - like, is <20 significantly better, or long term beneficial than <50

kate

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 07:09:18 pm »
thanks, was just kind of wondering because I've heard so many different descriptions of 'undectable' and was curious as to  how accurate the tests were as you hear all the time of advances in treatments but nothing about advances in testing....thanks again, mind more at rest now
x
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.