Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:56:15 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772950
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 439
Total: 441

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: A question (though it is debateable)  (Read 3543 times)

Offline NewYorkKat

• Hangin' On Staying Strong
A question (though it is debateable)
« on: July 26, 2010, 12:47:14 pm »
If a neg cut top barebacks a undetectable bottom, what are the top's chances of getting infected? I know this has been discussed and debated but could it be simply explained to me?
Thanks

Offline hotpuppy

Re: A question (though it is debateable)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 04:34:25 pm »
First a word from our party line:
Condoms are very effective in preventing the spread of HIV and should always be used.

Now, back to our regular programming:
I think it depends on a number of factors.... first are we talking gay or straight sex?
Second, how raw is the top and the bottom?  Is this a gang bang or a weekly tryst?

What it all boils down to is micro-analyzing risk.  HIV requires a break in the skin to jump hosts.....

It's generally accepted that the risk to the top is lower, but present.  The risk to the bottom is higher.

I liken this to the drinking and driving analogy.

If you have 3 drinks and get on the freeway you are probably gambling with your safety.
If you have 20 drinks and get on the freeway you are definately gambling with your safety.

Does the 3 drink option make you that much safer than no drinks?  hmmm, if the choice is 20 vs 3, then please choose 3.  But I think the right decision is no drinks when driving.

Sex is like drinking.... if your going to take cum in your ass and you wanna stay neg, it's better to play with other neg guys.  If you start mixing serostatus you are engaging risk on a personal level.

There are people who were infected from anal intercourse as a top.  It does happen.  I've said over and over that HIV doesn't care about your sexual orientation, color, etc..... It just likes a warm body.

Does that answer your question?  Or does it create new ones?
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline wtfimpoz

• Let's make biscuits!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 05:34:20 pm »
If a neg cut top barebacks a undetectable bottom, what are the top's chances of getting infected? I know this has been discussed and debated but could it be simply explained to me?
Thanks

Why are you asking?  Is someone trying to determine an acceptable individual risk threshold using population-wide statistics?
09/01/2009-neg
mid april, 2010, "flu like illness".
06/01/2010-weakly reactive ELISA, indeterminant WB
06/06/2010-reactive ELISA, confirmed positive.

DATE       CD4     %     VL
07/15/10  423     33    88k
08/28/10  489     19    189k
09/06/10-Started ATRIPLA
09/15/10  420     38    1400
11/21/10  517     25    51

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 05:50:03 pm »
Why are you asking?  Is someone trying to determine an acceptable individual risk threshold using population-wide statistics?

That's nailing a real issue!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 05:58:09 pm »
This an odd question to my mind. Anal sex without a condom is know, one of the known risky things to do. The only time it makes sense is a part a 1-on-1 discussion about risk between two people who know each other well. "Per act" chances of transmission don't apply to real pairs of people, they apply, if they apply, on a population level for determining which behaviours are seriously risky.
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline hotpuppy

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 06:22:30 pm »

Of course... but it's rude to tell the emperor that he is naked.  Hence the phrase, "emperor's new clothes".....

Following the herd (Population wide statistics) generally rewards individual behavior that is close to the norm.  It's the outliers that tend to be picked off.....
Don't obsess over the wrong things.  Life isn't about your numbers, it isn't about this forum, it isn't about someone's opinion.  It's about getting out there and enjoying it.   I am a person with HIV - not the other way around.

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 09:50:48 pm »
I think that bottom could go to the emergency room for a risk evaluation and receive a wide range of evaluation of the risk just taken.  I doubt this is one "simple" answer to this question, but I suppose the bottom would be told low but real risk. Might be sent home with PEP, might be sent home with a shrug and a safersex lesson.

Check out the other related thread in Am I Infected, where the guy on PEP wants to repeat a low risk "just one more time" while protected by PEP. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 01:02:27 am »
Now, back to our regular programming:
I think it depends on a number of factors.... first are we talking gay or straight sex?
Second, how raw is the top and the bottom?  Is this a gang bang or a weekly tryst?

What it all boils down to is micro-analyzing risk.  HIV requires a break in the skin to jump hosts.....

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/resources/qa/transmission.htm

"HIV can be detected in several fluids and tissue of a person living with HIV. It is important to understand however, that finding a small amount of HIV in a body fluid or tissue does not mean that HIV is transmitted by that body fluid or tissue. Only specific fluids (blood, semen, vaginal secretions, and breast milk) from an HIV-infected person can transmit HIV. These specific fluids must come in contact with a mucous membrane or damaged tissue or be directly injected into the blood-stream (from a needle or syringe) for transmission to possibly occur."

No break in the skin necessary pup.

Edit:  Mecch Kat is asking about the top being negative and the bottom being positive.

Offline mecch

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 03:42:22 am »
OOps...

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.