Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:14:41 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 344
Total: 344

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Anybody taking Fish Oil pills?  (Read 6301 times)

Offline Ac75088

Anybody taking Fish Oil pills?
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:01:15 am »
I had my routine doc appt today and he suggested Fish Oil to me cause my cholesterol is just a tad on the high side...Anybody can tell me how well it works? And weird effects from it? (Fishy smell etc?)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: Anybody taking Fish Oil pills?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:15:52 am »
I had my routine doc appt today and he suggested Fish Oil to me cause my cholesterol is just a tad on the high side...Anybody can tell me how well it works? And weird effects from it? (Fishy smell etc?)

Go for krill oil. Seriously.

Fish oil gave me horrific fishy burps. And the taste in my mouth was pure cod liver.

Spend the extra bucks for Krill Oil. DO some research, as only is it devoid of any nasty after-effects, but it has been proven to significantly surpass fish oil in lowering triglycerides.

Krill oil. I am NOT kidding.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 12:20:41 am »
I take two fish oils daily and feel no adverse effects from it.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 12:31:59 am »
Go for krill oil. Seriously.

Fish oil gave me horrific fishy burps. And the taste in my mouth was pure cod liver.

Spend the extra bucks for Krill Oil. DO some research, as only is it devoid of any nasty after-effects, but it has been proven to significantly surpass fish oil in lowering triglycerides.

Krill oil. I am NOT kidding.

I hear your advice about doing the research but I wanted to ask is over the counter Krill oil as effective as the Lovasa prescription fish oil ? . Im not sure if you are referring to over the counter or prescription fish oil . I have did a bit of research but didn't find what I need to know . 

And to stay on topic with the OP I will add one of the reasons I'm asking is because was getting great results with my lipids and cholesterol with Lovasa fish oil but had to discontinue it because of really bad chest pain and gas / bloating symptoms , so bad I almost went to the emergency room because of the pain . It didn't start until a month or so into taking it so I wasn't sure at first what was causing it . Not everyone gets this symptom , its was a shame to have to stop taking it because it really was effective .

HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Ac75088

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:39:10 am »
I'll have to look into the krill oil..My doc wanted to know if I wanted a prescription or preferred to just get over-the-counter. I opted to get it myself in the vitamin aisle somewhere..I've heard that the heartburn, nausea, and gas from fish oil can be horrible for some people, so was just wondering :)

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 04:22:12 am »
I take 1 capsule OTC fish oil per day with food (I take all my supplements with food for better uptake). If I take the fish oil w/ water only I get the burps and bad breath.
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline surf18

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 08:07:33 am »
i take fish oil before and after dx. No issues at all. I buy the GNC brand. Its 1300 mg and its one a day.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 08:45:05 am »
I've heard that the heartburn, nausea, and gas from fish oil can be horrible for some people, so was just wondering :)

One hears things about everything -- this isn't complicated. Like anything you try it, and if it disagrees with your body you move on to something else. Why wring your hands about anything before you try it?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Pozitively Moving Forward

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 02:26:06 pm »
I've taken fish oil for 4 months.  Take all my supplements with a small snack and have NO side effects at all.

but definitely going to look into the Krill oil now.  thanks jg!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 12:49:23 pm by Pozitively Moving Forward »
1/11/12 Test Positive HIV CD4 - 434 VL - 58K
2/8/12  CD4 316 VL- 62K (15%)
4/24/12 CD4 - 333 VL-33K (22.3%) 
5/8/12   CD4 - 419 VL - 124  (23.1%)
5/22/12 CD4 - 456 VL - 30  (24.5%)
6/19/12 CD4 - 593 VL - >20 (26.1%)
7/17/12 CD4 - 463 VL - >20 (28.1%)
8/14/12 CD4 - 476 VL - >20 (32.2%)

Offline Ac75088

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 04:01:12 am »
I still haven't gotten either one yet...guess I should hurry and get on the ball lol

Offline Rockin

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 11:38:06 am »
I take Barlean's Fish Oil. 2 a day...no side effects. Try it, it's highly recommended. It's also really good for the skin and heart.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 12:10:29 pm »
I take one of these daily @ 300mgs

http://www.schiffmegared.com/default.asp

Hugs

DEN  :)
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.