Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 01:04:42 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37639
  • Latest: Glassxj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773168
  • Total Topics: 66331
  • Online Today: 230
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 192
Total: 192

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Shock of my life  (Read 3830 times)

Offline PerfectlyHuman

Shock of my life
« on: August 11, 2012, 12:47:54 pm »
Hello, I am a 28 year old black male and just got tested positive for HIV on the 12th of June 12, 2012.

Well it started like this, I work for the state as a Correctional Officer and some days before my diagnoses I was attacked by an inmate with an unknown liquid substance so the next day I went to take regular blood test just for the heck of it and also incase I needed Worker's Comp in the future. I got a missed call from the clinic but didn't reply immediately. A few days later I went in to see my doctor because I was having some painful boils or pimples, itching, and fever. My doctor came in and after I got done talking about my health issues, I got the shock of my life. The doctor said I was HIV positive.

I took HIV test just last year around December and was negative. I have always used protection but remember that at one time I didn't but there wasn't any full penetration. Matter fact it was just nothing but foreplay as far as I was concerned. I told the doctor that it couldn't be true and I was sent out to do another test. I was so distraught.

A few days later I decided to go and take a rapid test with my sisters and it came out Preliminary Positive. When the guy broke the news to me I broke down and cried for the 1st time. I was told it wasn't the end of the world for me. I asked if there was a chance I could ever have a child again and the man told me no which of course is a big lie.

My sisters knew I was going to take the test and were anxious to know the result. I had told them earlier about a previous incident at my job in which I had a use of force involving an inmate and the inmate bled a lot during the incident and told me that he was had AIDS and I was going to get it.

Well after I got the bad news, cried and then stopped, I cleaned my face and met up with them like nothing really happened. One of them was already crying. We got into the car and the more she cried the more agitated I got and I screamed "I got it but its not the end of the world." My brother who I also told about the issue called to know if I got the result. I lied about it but once I let my sisters leave, I told him. He comforted me. Later when I got home, I simply told my sisters that  I just had Chlamydia not HIV and they believed me.

Well I went to an HIV clinic and they did my baseline. I was told I had a viral load of 4000. I am now scheduled to see a doctor in a few weeks. I also did a Western Blot test which I am still waiting to hear from them about the result. I am not even sure if that is important anymore.

Two positive anti-body test and viral load of 4000. I gotta be HIV positive then. Right?

I am going back to school to finish up my Bachelors Degree, while I am about to get my Associates Degree next semester. I still have goals to get my Masters.

I am trying to be positive. I still go out, and visit friends but they don't know. The only people I have told are my brother and one of my sisters. They have been so supportive. I just hate the fact that I might for the rest of my life have to be on meds just to live. I don't know about what will happen to my love life. I hope that at least an eventual functional cure is discovered by research companies like Sangamo. I have read about the Visconti Cohorts. I am going to start medication immediately and just hope that with it I can survive. 

I have always paid have prices for my mistakes but never thought I will be paying for this one with my life and health.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 12:54:33 pm by PerfectlyHuman »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: Shock of my life
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 03:04:56 pm »
I think this is in the wrong section. 

Things are not adding up! Wait for Western Blot verification.

Your timeline argument is that one day you are attacked, the next day get an HIV test and you seem to be saying it was positive, revealed to you "a few days later".

A person does not have contact with HIV and then test HIV positive the next day. 

I hear you that you were HIV negative in December.  But if you are HIV+ now it was not from the attack and the unknown liquid, which you don't even explain as to how it presented a risk.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Common_ground

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 03:34:24 pm »
Maybe PF can clarify what happen but I think the attack only made him go for a check up, from his post it doesn't seem like he actually thought he got it from the attack anyway.

It was after all 2 months since he tested poz so he should have got a western confirmation already....?

Feel free to chime in again PF! Plenty of great folks around here to help and give support.
2011 May - Neg.
2012 June CD4:205, 16% VL:2676 Start Truvada/Stocrin
2012 July  CD4:234, 18% VL:88
2012 Sep  CD4:238, 17% VL:UD
2013 Feb  CD4:257, 24% VL:UD -viramune/truvada
2013 May CD4:276, 26% VL:UD

2015 CD4: 240 , 28% VL:UD - Triumeq
2015 March CD4: 350 VL: UD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 04:25:13 pm »
I've moved your thread here. This is where your entries should be until your HIV diagnosis is confirmed by a western blot positive. If you test negative on the western blot that trumps the earlier positives and you will be HIV negative.

Keep us posted regarding your result.
Andy Velez

Offline PerfectlyHuman

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 09:36:13 am »
The attack is what made me go and get checked. I'm not saying I got the HIV because the inmate threw some liquid at me. If he hadn't done that I still would have been walking around thinking all was well with me. I thank the bastard for doing what he did because now I know I have this and can start fighting it.

I went and checked my Western Blot result 2 days ago and yes I am POSITIVE.
I don't want to bother my parents with this news even though my sister keeps telling me to let them know for legitimate and understandable reasons but my parents got enough stress to deal with already.

I'm remaining as positive as I can be even though a few times when no one is around I break down. Still work out and trying to not get depressed by keeping up with my friends. The stigma and feeling that even as good looking as I am I will be easily rejected even by those who find me attractive once they know is killing me. I'm hoping I do find that true love with someone preferably POZ as well because I don't want to go through the hassle of explaining myself. I usually don't even pursue someone a lot.

GOSH how could I have done this to myself? I hope I find the needed via this forum.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 09:38:56 am by PerfectlyHuman »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2012, 12:28:07 pm »
Sorry to hear that.
Anyway stick around the forum. 
Getting diagnosed is a shock to the system and it'll take time for a lot of these things to sort out.  But dont worry love and relationship and all that is still very possible.

Also, all your educational goals....

Also, don't rush on the disclosure front. You got a few people in life and this forum. There's no need to tell anyone until you are good and ready to do so. Tell your brother and sister you are happy to have their support and they can just CHILL on your parents needing to know.  Why do they need to know right away?  Have you got your own insurance?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 12:38:30 pm »
Mecch, you KNOW you're not supposed to post in the Am I Infected forum. ::)

PH, you may now start posting in the I Just Tested forum.

I'm happy to hear you acknowledge that you did not get infected from the bodily fluid thrown at you - hiv isn't transmitted that way.

I'll lock this thread now. See you on the other side.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.