Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:53:36 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 396
Total: 396

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: My husband tested positive and I have some questions  (Read 17651 times)

Offline lovingwife

My husband tested positive and I have some questions
« on: March 20, 2007, 12:16:44 am »
Hi everyone. I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks since we found out that my husband tested HIV poz a couple of weeks ago. He had his first visit with an infectious disease doctor and Friday we got a call that his T cell count was 18. They don't have the results of the viral load so in the meantime he is on Bactrim DS and Zithromax. My husband doesn't want to come to the forum because he is still having a hard time accepting this and has alot of guilt. We have four children (3 from my first marriage and he has a son from a relationship in 99.) I was tested by the infectious disease doctor, but they don't have my results back. I'm prepared for the worst, hoping that I'm negative though.

He believes that he has had this for approximately 10 years....and since I met him in 2001, he has always had chronic thrush, toenail fungal infection, and recently he was fighting pneumonia which after doing some researching on the net I realized that these were all signs and symptoms of HIV/AIDS and told his family doctor to test him.

My question is, I realize his Tcell count is extremely low. He can't get rid of his fever and has lost about 30 pounds. I'm very worried that this wasn't caught soon enough and the medications the doctor ends up putting him on may not work. I realize he officially has "AIDS", but what are his chances of fighting this and living a long and healthy life? He has become a father to my children and I don't know what we would do without him. He is 38 years old and if I see another chart stating that he could be gone by the time he's in his 40's I'm going to lose my mind. Thank you to anyone who responds. I guess I am hoping to find someone who also got diagnosed late like he has.....and is doing well with the meds.
The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: My husband tested positive and I have some questions
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:18:22 am »
Hello,

Everyone is going to react differently to the meds, and to the amount of time it takes for the meds to start doing their job. So far, it appears your husband is only on anti-biotics.

I had 16 t-cells back in October of 2003, with a viral load of 500,000. I also went through wasting, and lost about 30 pounds of weight during a ten month period. Went from 170 lbs to 140 lbs. I was also dealing with pneumonia at that time.

Just prior to starting on meds, I was on Prednisone ( for I believe about a 20 day period.)  I was also started on Bactrim and Zithromax. The bactrim was later changed to Dapsone. Some people can have an allergic reaction to the bactrim, in which case that can be changed to another anti-biotic. So , the doctor should be monitoring him, just in case he may be having an allergic reaction to the Bactrim. See below :

http://www.drugs.com/bactrim.html

He will have to continue on the bactrim, until his t-cell count goes up to the 200 range. I was able to stop the Zithromax first, and then the Bactrim ( Dapsone)  later. I was on the dapsone for quite a while, until my t-cells started going into the 200 range.

TheHIV medication also started just a few days after that, which for me, consisted of Viramune, Zerit, and epivir. The Zerit was later changed to Ziagen (abacavir).

He will have a tough road ahead of him. I remember in that period of time how extremely weak I was. I was also sleeping quite a bit. Trying to accomplish anything physical took a lot of effort, and I wore out very easily.

He will need to sit down with his doctor, and discuss the regimen, that he will be placed on. Some can have a difficult time after starting on meds, others, not so bad.

As soon as I started on the meds, Things started improving rapidly. I was sleeping the normal 8 hours a day, but it was still a struggle, and it took some time to build up the t-cells and get the viral load to <50.

As I said earlier, it's going to be a tough road ahead, everyone responds differently.

What I would suggest for you, is to read up on the lessons part of the site, educate yourself, so that you can help to answer his concerns. Just continue being there for him, this is what he needs right now.

It is understandable that he is having a difficult time accepting things right now. He's scared, and he going through a lot of emotions right now. And I can understand, that this is not easy for you either. You need to be there for each other.

Depending on what additional blood tests the doctor took, can possibly make a determination, as to what HIV meds, that he will be started on.

My advice, would be to accompany your husband to the doctors office on each visit (if possible) and to ask the doctor questions. Be right there with him in the room. Two heads are better then one, when the doctor starts explaining details and regimens. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Take notes if possible. Have questions already written down for the doctor, when you and your husband visit with him.

Try to keep his food and liquid intake going. He need as much nutrition as he can get right now. A multi-vitamin once a day would be helpful too. I was taking "BOOST" for a while. There are other nutrition drinks available.

After I started on meds, the weight started coming back very fast, my energy levels were much better, and I was feeling 100% better, hopefully your husband will experience the same.

If you have any other question, don't hesitate to ask. If there are things you don't understand from the lesson portion of the site feel free to ask away.

Take care of yourself-------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 08:18:39 am »

I guess I am hoping to find someone who also got diagnosed late like he has.....and is doing well with the meds.

Hi LW. How are you holding up? First, I pray you test HIV negative. Second, I can share my own low T cell experience and hopefully your family might find it helpful. I had a low T cell count (42) when I started antiretroviral medications in September of 2005. I copied my history below, in green, for you to see. Right here on these forums we have at least a dozen members who've started with low T cell counts but meds have helped tremendously. The meds available today are much better than the old drugs from the 1980's and early 1990's and some new drugs (still in testing) are supposed to be even better. Personally I have an optimistic view that the drugs will get better and better. I also had a 24-pound drop in weight right before I started meds. I have gained all that weight back

Lowest 42 cd4 (7%) VL=100,000 (Sept 2005, started HAART too)
Highest 419 cd4 (18%) VL=67 (March 2006)
Current 342 cd4 (20%) VL=<50 (March 2007)
Meds are: Lexiva, Epzicom, Norvir

Much love to you and your family. Ask us anything.

Alex

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 09:19:25 am »
Dear LW,

I'm glad you have found your way to our site. Keeping fingers crossed that you will test negative.

As dark as things may seem right now, when the meds kick in I think you are likely to see quite a turnaround. At least that is what I have often seen in the past and in situations far more dire than what you have described.

It's essential that your husband's numbers be monitored regularly and that a good working partnership is established with his doctor to keep him healthy. Hopefully you and he are on the way to making that happen now. Right now quite understandably HIV looms huge in your lives. Gradually as things "settle down" and get under control, it will still be important but it is by no means all that your lives will be about. The lessons on this site will likely provide you with some useful information.   

As time passes your husband may even want to look into our site. But don't pressure him about that. You are of course welcome to ask any questions you may have as well as just in general to talk about anything that's on your mind.

As for all of the dire stuff you have been running across -- that's not helpful nor is it to be taken at face value. It's good that you know his status now and can set about dealing with it to regain his health.

We're here for you. And please keep us posted on your test result.

And again, welcome.

Cheers,   
Andy Velez

Offline Teresa

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 09:58:26 am »
Hi Lovingwife,

We found out in May last year that hubby tested positive. He had a CD4 of 85 and his VL was over 280,000. Your hubby sounds a lot like mine. He lost a lot of weight, had thrush, and had that fever. They put him on Bactrim first and he developed a rash so they switched him to Dapsone. Hes done good on the Dapsone and is still on it. He ran a fever for a good 2 months. I kept asking the Dr about it and she said the Dapsone should take care of it. When his fever was a little over 103 i took him to the ER. They admitted him and did a lot of tests and come to find out he had meningitis. So keep a close eye on that fever.

Hubby is doing great. He is taking Atripla and Dapsone. His CD4s are 252 and his VL is undetectable. He will be on the Dapsone until he has a CD4 count higher than 200 for 3 set of labs in a row. He just had his first so he will be on it for awhile yet. Hubby has gained all the weight he lost plus a few more.

If you haven't read the lessons here i encourage you to do so. They really helped me. Make sure he drinks plenty of water and hubby drank Ensure until he started putting his weight back on. I have a notebook that I take to all his DR appointments. I write down questions I want to ask and then take notes on what the Dr says. I also have a notebook that I keep copies of all his labs.

I know what you are going through. It takes time but it does get better...I promise.

Keeping my fingers crossed that your test is negative. I have tested negative 3 times and now I just have to get tested once a year. Please keep us posted on your results.

We are all here for you! You are not alone.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Trixie

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 01:37:13 pm »
LW-

I cannot tell much about the meds.... my husband has been positive for years, been on an off meds, and is just starting the meds himself again now. His numbers are worse than your husband's - and I have too have been worried that we may have already passed "the point of no return," but coming here has helped me to realize that most likely is not the case.

What I can help you with is the day-to-day issues you will face in the coming days, months, years. It is not easy to go it alone - and you will be facing not only his issues and moods, but your own as well. (As you can see by an earlier thread, I have needed some help lately.)

Please feel free to IM me here with your email address if you need anything. I will be totally honest with you about what I have faced for the last 20 years.

You are in my thoughts....

Trixie

Offline lovingwife

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2007, 07:33:15 pm »

Just prior to starting on meds, I was on Prednisone ( for I believe about a 20 day period.)  I was also started on Bactrim and Zithromax. The bactrim was later changed to Dapsone. Some people can have an allergic reaction to the bactrim, in which case that can be changed to another anti-biotic. So , the doctor should be monitoring him, just in case he may be having an allergic reaction to the Bactrim. See below :

http://www.drugs.com/bactrim.html

Thank you so much for the info on the Bactrim. Out of curiousity, and if you don't mind, what reaction did you have to the Bactrim that made the doctor change you to Dapsone. I did notice that his entire back is beet red, like a sunburn. He's also having some diarhea, but not sure if this is from the Bactrim or not.

He will have to continue on the bactrim, until his t-cell count goes up to the 200 range. I was able to stop the Zithromax first, and then the Bactrim ( Dapsone)  later. I was on the dapsone for quite a while, until my t-cells started going into the 200 range.

That explains why he has 3 refills on both meds  :)

He will have a tough road ahead of him. I remember in that period of time how extremely weak I was. I was also sleeping quite a bit. Trying to accomplish anything physical took a lot of effort, and I wore out very easily.

That sounds just like him, always tired and going to work being miserable. He has shift work and the other night was taken to the E/R due to inflammation of the lining of the lungs. He was in so much pain he thought he was having a heart attack. Now he has the extra worry of his work finding a reason to "let him go"

As I said earlier, it's going to be a tough road ahead, everyone responds differently.

What I would suggest for you, is to read up on the lessons part of the site, educate yourself, so that you can help to answer his concerns. Just continue being there for him, this is what he needs right now.

I'm here for him and he knows that. He's been with me through my many illnesses and I don't plan on going anywhere. I love this man to death AIDS or not and we all have his back. One less worry for him, too.

Depending on what additional blood tests the doctor took, can possibly make a determination, as to what HIV meds, that he will be started on.

My advice, would be to accompany your husband to the doctors office on each visit (if possible) and to ask the doctor questions. Be right there with him in the room. Two heads are better then one, when the doctor starts explaining details and regimens. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Take notes if possible. Have questions already written down for the doctor, when you and your husband visit with him.

Absolutely already do this! I think I throw almost TOO many questions at the doctor, but if it bothers him I really don't care because this is my husband and the doctor is getting paid to answer our questions. I do go to all visits with him and he goes with me to my doc visits, we've always been like that. I even considered bringing a small tape recorder to put in my purse so we wouldn't forget anything the doc said.

After I started on meds, the weight started coming back very fast, my energy levels were much better, and I was feeling 100% better, hopefully your husband will experience the same.

You're very lucky and yes I pray that hubby feels better soon. I just wish ole doc would get those viral load results!!!!! It's been too long!

If you have any other question, don't hesitate to ask. If there are things you don't understand from the lesson portion of the site feel free to ask away.

Thank you so very much Ray for taking the time to help me and comfort me. So many of you have done this and it means the world to me. I hope it's ok for me to reply to each of you this way. I didn't want to leave anyone out as far as thanking and responding!!

Take care of yourself-------Ray
The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

Offline lovingwife

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2007, 07:42:47 pm »
Hi LW. How are you holding up? First, I pray you test HIV negative. Second, I can share my own low T cell experience and hopefully your family might find it helpful. I had a low T cell count (42) when I started antiretroviral medications in September of 2005. I copied my history below, in green, for you to see. Right here on these forums we have at least a dozen members who've started with low T cell counts but meds have helped tremendously. The meds available today are much better than the old drugs from the 1980's and early 1990's and some new drugs (still in testing) are supposed to be even better. Personally I have an optimistic view that the drugs will get better and better. I also had a 24-pound drop in weight right before I started meds. I have gained all that weight back

Lowest 42 cd4 (7%) VL=100,000 (Sept 2005, started HAART too)
Highest 419 cd4 (18%) VL=67 (March 2006)
Current 342 cd4 (20%) VL=<50 (March 2007)
Meds are: Lexiva, Epzicom, Norvir

Much love to you and your family. Ask us anything.

Alex

I definitely feel very optimistic knowing that others have had low T cell counts like yourself and are now thriving. It's the unknown that worries me the most, and lurking here and reading as much as I can and of course having kind people as yourself take the time to answer my questions makes me feel much better. Also, I found out today, only because I called the doctor's office and told them that 2 weeks of waiting for MY results was ridiculous and they ended up telling me that I WAS negative, but not to tell the doctor that they told me because he is the one that is supposed to call with all the results. Well, I raised a little bit of "heck" and got it out of the nurse.  ;)

I just wish they would hurry up and put him on the right meds so that he can get started on getting those numbers up. I am most definitely going to take everyone's advice as far as the Boost and Ensure, something I wouldn't have thought of. Thank you again for your quick reply and for easing my mind! Your numbers look really good, I'm so happy that your meds are working for you!!!

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2007, 07:47:50 pm »
Just really wanted to say I'm thinking of you. There are so many people here who give good advice, just wanted to say look after yourself too
Jo
x
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline lovingwife

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2007, 07:49:38 pm »
Dear LW,

I'm glad you have found your way to our site. Keeping fingers crossed that you will test negative.

I found out today that I tested negative!!! Big relief for me and hubby.

As dark as things may seem right now, when the meds kick in I think you are likely to see quite a turnaround. At least that is what I have often seen in the past and in situations far more dire than what you have described.

It's essential that your husband's numbers be monitored regularly and that a good working partnership is established with his doctor to keep him healthy. Hopefully you and he are on the way to making that happen now. Right now quite understandably HIV looms huge in your lives. Gradually as things "settle down" and get under control, it will still be important but it is by no means all that your lives will be about. The lessons on this site will likely provide you with some useful information.

Yes I need to find where the "Lessons" is located. A few have mentioned it, but I can't seem to find out where it is, I'll look again and definitely read the Lessons thank you!!!!   

As time passes your husband may even want to look into our site. But don't pressure him about that. You are of course welcome to ask any questions you may have as well as just in general to talk about anything that's on your mind.

As for all of the dire stuff you have been running across -- that's not helpful nor is it to be taken at face value. It's good that you know his status now and can set about dealing with it to regain his health.

So true. I have a bad habit of researching things to death, even if it's a medication, which can be both good AND bad. Lately, all I've been reading is negative. I noticed in this forum that everyone tries their best to keep conversations positive and upbeat which is wonderful.

We're here for you. And please keep us posted on your test result.

And again, welcome.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the "positive" feedback!! It is so very much appreciated.

Offline lovingwife

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2007, 07:53:15 pm »
Just really wanted to say I'm thinking of you. There are so many people here who give good advice, just wanted to say look after yourself too.
Jo
x

Thank you so much! Yes everyone is giving great advice and I am so glad to have found my way here. Lately I haven't been taking good care of myself and I find myself wearing thin. I'm on full disability with heart and liver disease and we have 4 chidlren, ages 18 down to age 8, one who is very hyperactive, and let's just say I've been taking more than my normal dose of nerve pills lol. I'll make it though, I'm more concerned with my husband's state of mind and getting him a little more plump!! God Bless you and everyone in here.... :)

Offline tigger2376

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2007, 07:59:55 pm »
Seriously, your own health is important too, for your husband and your kids
frankly I think your'e amazing. Its truly incredible what people cope with, keep us posted, and you know where to come when sometimes you just need to go AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! ;D
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline lovingwife

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2007, 08:00:45 pm »
LW-

I cannot tell much about the meds.... my husband has been positive for years, been on an off meds, and is just starting the meds himself again now. His numbers are worse than your husband's - and I have too have been worried that we may have already passed "the point of no return," but coming here has helped me to realize that most likely is not the case.

Well then we have alot in common! We can be there for each other. It's hard to see our husbands carry this heavy burden of guilt and depression. I'm sure your husband goes through those dark periods as well. My husband just found this out recently and the shock of it is just now wearing off. He is starting to want to do more family oriented things and such, which tells me that he has a positive attitude (so far).

What I can help you with is the day-to-day issues you will face in the coming days, months, years. It is not easy to go it alone - and you will be facing not only his issues and moods, but your own as well. (As you can see by an earlier thread, I have needed some help lately.)

Yes I was reading your thread and I'm here for you, too. If you ever want to chat on yahoo or AOL let me know and we can exchange user names. This is very overwhelming for me and I have so many worries, but I just have to be around people who are going through the same thing, or have been at the point where I am, and just vent. If I don't I probably will go insane.

Please feel free to IM me here with your email address if you need anything. I will be totally honest with you about what I have faced for the last 20 years.

I might take you up on that!! Thank you so very much for taking out time to help me feel better when you are facing your own battles. (((hugs)))

You are in my thoughts....

...and you and your husband are in mine as well.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2007, 08:05:21 pm »
Yes I need to find where the "Lessons" is located. A few have mentioned it, but I can't seem to find out where it is, I'll look again and definitely read the Lessons thank you!!!!   

HI LW - Near the upper left of your screen you will see this line

En Espaņol | Lessons | Drugs | Forums | Blogs | Cool Tools

Clicking Lessons will take you here:
http://www.aidsmeds.com/lessons/StartHere1.htm

Navigate with the Lesson Index on the right hand side of your screen or hit "Next" near the bottom of your screen after the end of each page

Offline lovingwife

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2007, 08:05:57 pm »
Seriously, your own health is important too, for your husband and your kids
frankly I think your'e amazing. Its truly incredible what people cope with, keep us posted, and you know where to come when sometimes you just need to go AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! ;D

Well thank you so much!! It definitely is amazing what so many people have to cope with and the thing is, we can either deal with reality and what's right there in front of us, or give up. I've never been the type to give up and won't start now. I'm sure there will definitely be many times when I will come here and go AAAARRRRRRGGGHHHHHHH lol....

8)

Offline lovingwife

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2007, 08:12:23 pm »
HI LW - Near the upper left of your screen you will see this line

En Espaņol | Lessons | Drugs | Forums | Blogs | Cool Tools

Clicking Lessons will take you here:
http://www.aidsmeds.com/lessons/StartHere1.htm

Navigate with the Lesson Index on the right hand side of your screen or hit "Next" near the bottom of your screen after the end of each page

You rock!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2007, 08:13:04 pm »
Hello Loving,

The reaction I was getting from the Bactrim was fatigue, and dizziness. Whether or not that was contributed to the bactrim at the time, or to my health at the time, the doctor decided to play it safe, and replace the bactrim with the Dapsone. I was not having any skin related issues with the bactrim, however, the sun can cause some reaction while on bactrim, if your husband is spending time out doors.

Stay in touch-------------Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline lovingwife

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2007, 09:04:50 pm »
Hi Lovingwife,

We found out in May last year that hubby tested positive. He had a CD4 of 85 and his VL was over 280,000. Your hubby sounds a lot like mine. He lost a lot of weight, had thrush, and had that fever. They put him on Bactrim first and he developed a rash so they switched him to Dapsone. Hes done good on the Dapsone and is still on it. He ran a fever for a good 2 months. I kept asking the Dr about it and she said the Dapsone should take care of it. When his fever was a little over 103 i took him to the ER. They admitted him and did a lot of tests and come to find out he had meningitis. So keep a close eye on that fever.

Wow I'm sorry to hear that he ended up with meningitis. I will definitely make sure to check his temperature. I always wondered which method was better for taking a temp: the digital one that goes in the ear or under the tongue digital. So good to hear that your hubby is doing good with the meds!! I can't wait until the doctor gets all of the bloodwork back so that he can also be put on meds to get his count up. It's hard waiting for that right now! Plus, I'm impatient and don't have much tolerance with doctors who aren't aggressive with something like this.

Hubby is doing great. He is taking Atripla and Dapsone. His CD4s are 252 and his VL is undetectable. He will be on the Dapsone until he has a CD4 count higher than 200 for 3 set of labs in a row. He just had his first so he will be on it for awhile yet. Hubby has gained all the weight he lost plus a few more.

That is great that he is gaining weight and that the VL is undetectable!!!!

If you haven't read the lessons here i encourage you to do so. They really helped me. Make sure he drinks plenty of water and hubby drank Ensure until he started putting his weight back on. I have a notebook that I take to all his DR appointments. I write down questions I want to ask and then take notes on what the Dr says. I also have a notebook that I keep copies of all his labs.

I am definitely going to read the lessons and buy the Ensure or Boost. He's only been on one visit to the infectious disease doc and I was pretty prepared with my questions. I actually found more info on THIS site then the doc, though!

I know what you are going through. It takes time but it does get better...I promise.

Keeping my fingers crossed that your test is negative. I have tested negative 3 times and now I just have to get tested once a year. Please keep us posted on your results.

NEGATIVE YAY! ONE LESS WORRY FOR ALL OF US!

We are all here for you! You are not alone.

Hugs
Teresa

Thank you so very much for sharing your story with me and for the advice....I need all I can get right now!!! Hugs to you as well!!

Offline Teresa

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2007, 10:16:45 pm »
So glad that you tested negative!! That is wonderful news!!!

Big Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Tashana

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 10:53:26 am »
Hi, LW,

My habby is poz too, I've been tested twice, both negative. I'm about to test again in few days (weeks?). I've been totally out of my mind couple times, scaring for myself and the kids, but doct's didn't want to test me again, told me to come in April again. It's about now...
Nowdays, six month after his first test, we both feel much better, passed thought very difficult days and nights... This forum helped both of us very much... Meet so many pepole, positive and life/live/positive!!! Thanks all of them!!!
My husband started with CD58, felt very bed, he was in the hospital for two weeks . I'm trying to take care of him well, we love him very much. Finding here people who are poz for more than 20 years, we hope that we will be together for many many years...

Hugs,
Tashana

Offline snoofle

« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2007, 11:28:28 am »
hi lw, my boyfriend is also in the same boat of having HIV for a long time before it being caught..theres no way of knowing bc both his parents had it and they think he may have been either born with it or contracted it from his mother somehow so if thats the case..hes had the disease over 20 years...so it is scary to think that they could be at this "point of no return" but since he found out about it in september..his health has gradually gotten better with a few bumps in the road, my boyfriend also suffered from really bad fevers and headaches which was HIV fungal meningitis, he lost nearly 30 pounds, but beyond that he seems to be getting better slowly..just hang in there =)

Offline tigger2376

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2007, 06:54:14 pm »
I'm the positive one in my realationship. My boyfriend is negative, (despite some silly risks). Theres no rhyme or reason to infection. Keep getting tested for at least 6 months, and if you clear...don't take risks, we've talked....you have your kids and yourself to take care of
Whatever happens, we are here
xxxx

Offline kcmetroman

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2007, 07:21:03 pm »
Hello LW,

Let me echo what many here have already told you.  I also have 3 children, and was diagnosed with a T-cell count of 21 and a VL over a million.  Community acquired Pneumonia, isolation for fear of TB and a plethora of other OI's (including heart failure 2 years earlier) had me knocking on the door.  Worst part about it, was with the dementia and all, I didn't really care anymore.   This was in April of 2005.  I am alive and strong and here to say he can recover and lead a decent life.

Now the good news...Hopefully....I had the 3 children with two different wives, and like your husband was infected for well over 10 years.   Nobody has been infected.  I pray the same for you.

All the best,
John

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.