Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:13:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 322
Total: 323

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Jonathan's (jkinatl2) latest contribution to POZ Magazine  (Read 8793 times)

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
Jonathan's (jkinatl2) latest contribution to POZ Magazine
« on: January 02, 2007, 12:14:06 pm »
Did you all see the last page of POZ's January issue?  It's another moving piece of writing by Jonathan.  Check it out here:  http://www.poz.com/articles/1932_11005.shtml

Peter

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Re: Jonathan's (jkinatl2) latest contribution to POZ Magazine
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2007, 12:18:57 pm »
love that guy....

Just sayin'!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 12:22:01 pm »
Kudos JK! Excellent job again!

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2007, 12:34:13 pm »
JK, good write up guy. I hope you are doing well.
Rod

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 12:55:26 pm »
Jonathon,
I hope 2007 brings improved health to you.
Em
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 06:54:53 pm by emeraldize »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 01:06:28 pm »
I'm glad to see he's still writing.  Good piece, as usual.  Happy new year Jonathan and I wish you continued successful contributions to Poz.

Cliff

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 01:13:46 pm »
The piece reminded me of the opening of Henry James's The Middle Years (the autobiographical fragment, not the story of the same title):

"We are never old, that is we never cease easily to be young, for all life at the same time: youth is an army, the whole batallion of our faculties and freshnesses, our pasions and our illusions, on a considerably reluctant march into the enemy's country, the country of the general lost freshness; and I think it throws out at least as many stragglers behind as skirmishers ahead -- stragglers who often catch up but belatedly with the main body, and even in many a case never catch up at all."

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

George Eliot, Middlemarch, final paragraph

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 01:44:42 pm »
I'm sorry but who is Jonathan? Does he have a blog?
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2007, 02:16:28 pm »
Queen, Jonathan has a blog. He was a regular on here working mainly in the "Am I Infected?" forum. He's a great guy. It's to bad he has not been here regularly.

Offline manchesteruk

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2007, 02:30:40 pm »
Johnathan has such a great way with words doesnt he.  I miss him, Tim, Zephyr and Joe amongst others this place hasn't been the same without them :(
Diagnosed 11/05

"Life is too important to be taken seriously" Oscar Wilde

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2007, 04:15:15 pm »
Johnathan has such a great way with words doesnt he.  I miss him, Tim, Zephyr and Joe amongst others this place hasn't been the same without them :(

Nothing should remain the same.  I know that *I* for one started posting MORE after we had all the defections.  Sort of stepped up kind of thin.... wait, i see your point now.  IM NOT THAT BAD!
RIDE!!!

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2007, 04:24:08 pm »
I spoke to him the other day, and he made an off-hand remark about how he was probably a distant memory on here by now.

As if!

Keep the boy in your thoughts and prayers, please.  He still has some R & R that needs to happen.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2007, 04:26:07 pm »
Can someone PM me as to why Joe don't post here much anymore?

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2007, 05:20:52 pm »
Nothing should remain the same.  I know that *I* for one started posting MORE after we had all the defections.  Sort of stepped up kind of thin.... wait, i see your point now.  IM NOT THAT BAD!

Jonathan, Joe and Tim continue to blog...check them out. They are not hard too hard to find if you choose to look for them. You can still hear their voices.

As Loyd Benson said to Dan Quayle in the 1988 V.P. debates, "I knew Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator you are no Jack Kennedy." ;)

Offline sweetasmeli

• Love what you are...
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 05:39:09 pm »
Especially for my friend Jonathan:

YOUTH - by Samuel Ullman

Youth is not a time of life; it is a state of mind; it is not a matter of rosy cheeks, red lips and supple knees; it is a matter of the will, a quality of the imagination, a vigor of the emotions; it is the freshness of the deep springs of life.

Youth means a temperamental predominance of courage over timidity of the appetite, for adventure over the love of ease.  This often exists in a man of sixty more than a body of twenty.  Nobody grows old merely by a number of years.  We grow old by deserting our ideals.

Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.  Worry, fear, self-distrust bows the heart and turns the spirit back to dust.

Whether sixty or sixteen, there is in every human being's heart the lure of wonder, the unfailing child-like appetite of what's next, and the joy of the game of living.  In the center of your heart and my heart there is a wireless station; so long as it receives messages of beauty, hope, cheer, courage and power from men and from the Infinite, so long are you young.

When the aerials are down, and your spirit is covered with snows of cynicism and the ice of pessimism, then you are grown old, even at twenty, but as long as your aerials are up, to catch the waves of optimism, there is hope you may die young at eighty.

Keep up your beautiful writing and keep on living with passion, Jonathan.

Much love

Your friend
Melia X
/\___/\       /\__/\
(=' . '=)    (=' . '=)
(,,,_ ,,,)/   (,,,_ ,,,)/ Cats rule!

The difference between cats and dogs is that dogs come when called, whereas cats take a message and get back to you.

Yeia kai hara (health and happiness) to everyone!

Offline OzPaul

• 40 year, Long Term Survivor/LTNP
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 08:13:25 pm »
It's wonderful to hear from Jonathan again ! He is so eloquent and moving. I too miss him here at the forums. He has a blog linked to AM  at Poz magazine and he posts from time to time. His voice is as clear and strong as ever though he has not been well lately.

Thanks Peter for drawing this to our attention.

I hope you're feeling better these days Jonathan and that your visit with your Mom was good. I'll look forward to reading your latest blog entry to see how that went and how you're doing too.

Cheers
Paul

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 09:33:55 pm »
It's always good to hear from Jonathan. I hope he reads this thread so that he knows he is always well thought of.

What he writes is always eloquently twisty, an authentic voice which informs and sometimes mystefies. Cool.

Keep 'em comin', Jonathan. Happy New Year!   
Andy Velez

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 11:07:17 pm »
I just spoke to the man himself moments ago!  I told him all about this thread and all the kind words from each of you!  He is still in a recovery mode right now, ya know. 

I'm going to see him tomorrow!  I'm so excited, I could just POP !!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2007, 11:13:49 pm »
Give him my love, Tim. And tell him I was expecting a photo of his... insides.  :o  ;D

Jay
Her finely-touched spirit had still its fine issues, though they were not widely visible. Her full nature, like that river of which Cyrus broke the strength, spent itself in channels which had no great name on the earth. But the effect of her being on those around her was incalculably diffusive: for the growing good of the world is partly dependent on unhistoric acts; and that things are not so ill with you and me as they might have been, is half owing to the number who lived faithfully a hidden life, and rest in unvisited tombs.

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2007, 11:20:18 pm »
Thunter, give him my best wishes when you talk to him.

R

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2007, 11:26:25 pm »
Will do!  I read all the replies to this thread to him awhile ago & let him know all of the people who have been asking about him!  Thanks, Rich! 

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Lou-ah-vull

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007, 12:35:44 am »
Add me to the ever growing list of friends who read his blog faithfully and think and pray for him daily.  Ever since I sat across at dinner from him in Montreal at AMG I have recognized what a special person he is.  I know he feels like he "blends into the woodwork,"  but his unique and extraordinary talent is such that he will always stand out.  I am praying for some real genuine recovery for him.

Gary
Diagnosed Oct. 2005
10/05:  367 (26.2%), 24556 VL
01/06:  344 (24.6%), 86299 VL
04/06:  374 (22.0%), 87657 VL
05/06:  Began HAART 05/15/06, Combivir/Kaletra
07/06:  361 (27.8%), 1299 VL
10/06:  454 (32.4%), 55 VL
01/07:  499 (38.4%), UD
02/07:  Switched to Atripla 2/8/07
04/07:  566 (37.7%), UD
08/07:  761 (42.3%), UD
06/08:  659 (47.1%), UD
01/09:  613 (43.8%), UD
07/09:  616 (47.4%), UD
01/10:  530 (44.2%), UD
07/10:  636 (48.9%), UD
01/11:  627 (48.2%), UD
07/11:  840 (52.5%), UD
01/12:  920 (51.1%), UD
07/12:  857 (50.4%), 40
10/12:  UD
01/13:  710 (47.3%), UD
07/13:  886 (49.2%), UD
01/14:  985 (46.9%), UD
06/14:  823 (47.2%), UD
01/15: 1366 (45.2%), UD
07/15: 1134 (50.7%), UD
02/16: 1043 (55.1%), UD
08/16:  746  (55.4%), UD
08/16:  Switch from Atripla to Genvoya

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2007, 12:43:46 am »
thanks, gary!  i am going to make a point of making sure he is aware just how deeply his absence has been felt here!

everybody who will:  say a prayer, send a vibe, wish on a star or do whatever it is you feel led to do to focus some healing power toward jonathan.  he means a great deal to me...to many of us, obviously.   
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2007, 07:51:00 am »
Tim,

Please give Jonathan a HUGE HUG from me, and tell him how much I miss him around here!   Also, I hope he received my Christmas card.

Jonathan is such a unique person, and he means so much to a lot of us.   I always keep him close to my heart, and in my prayers daily.

Hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2007, 10:38:03 am »

Jonathan, Joe and Tim continue to blog...check them out. They are not hard too hard to find if you choose to look for them. You can still hear their voices.

As Loyd Benson said to Dan Quayle in the 1988 V.P. debates, "I knew Jack Kennedy, Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator you are no Jack Kennedy." ;)

You're funny!  Who wants a corndog?

RIDE!!!

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2007, 09:15:05 am »
Thanks Peter.... ;)

And a Big Thumbs Up for Jonathan! 
Keep it coming and don't think we don't miss you. :-*

Did she say who's Jonathan?  OMG! ::)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 03:39:19 pm »
I am wondering why you rolled your eyes because I asked who Jonathan was? I have only been here since October. From everyone's post it seems like he is a great person. Since I'm somewhat new here, it would be logical to ask who he is...*rolls her eyes*
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2007, 06:01:57 pm »
(In my best Olympia Dukakis voice)  Well, I can report that he IS a great person! 

He is every bit the sweetpea that you'd expect him to be from reading his blogs and posts.  And such a little cutie also!  Got to meet him in person yesterday.  As you may know from reading his blogs, he is still in a recovery mode.  I shared with him the well wishes from this thread and elsewhere, just FYI.  I can honestly say that he has touched me as personally and deeply as any other writer.  I hope the powers that be at POZ Magazine are taking due notice of the fan base this fellow has here and the treasure they have in their grasp.   

PS- Got to meet the ferrets also!   ;D
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2007, 07:08:17 pm »
He sounds like a sweetheart, Thunter. I will have to spend more time in the blog section. I send all my positive vibes his way, I have more than enough to share. ;D
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline lydgate

• Virgin, can't drive
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2007, 10:28:48 pm »
Just chatted with Jonathan and he says to say hello. Yep, he's slowly getting better. So, if we haven't forgotten jkinatl2, he hasn't entirely forgotten the forums either.  :)

Jay

Offline Iggy

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2007, 11:55:08 pm »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2007, 11:27:51 pm by Iggy »

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2007, 03:48:53 am »
Sorry Ms Queen....silly ole me ;) :-*
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2007, 04:21:11 am »
Hello Jonathan,

I have never really been in much communication with you, throughout these past couple years, but I want you to know, that I have a great respect for you, and admiration. There has been so much, that you have been through.  I do make it a point , to read all your blogs.

I hope that you had a a good visit and stay at your mothers for this past holiday, and that you were able to find some peace within yourself. I know the holidays can be very emotional for some, and know they have been for me. kind a glad there behind me .

I sincerely wish, that 2007, brings you peace, contentment, happiness... and fulfillment.

Wishing you well-------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Christine

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2007, 11:39:20 am »
Jonathan,
This line is extraordinary: "Youth makes me believe that we are necessary in that passionate future." You have a gift from God. Thank you for sharing it with us.

Good thoughts and prayers going out to you that you start to feel better soon.
Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.