Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:10:09 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 718
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 631
Total: 631

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Contemplating Treatment, Reyataz or Prezista?  (Read 3511 times)

Offline AverageJoe

Contemplating Treatment, Reyataz or Prezista?
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:52:29 am »
So Hello, my first question to you as a member.

I found out I was + in March 2010.  I have had bloods done every 3 months since.  My CD4 is always roughly around 500 and VL always roughly 4000.  I don't know when I was infected. I have some resistance so cannot take Atripla due to resistance to sustiva portion.

My consultant in my London clinic first suggested Prezista, norvir, Truvada.  When I asked more recently what combo she would start me on now she said Reyataz instead of Prezista.  I assume this is because of London consortium guidelines and budgets etc.  Anyways I'm sure I could still have Prezista if I
wanted.

My main question is does anyone have opinions or information about which is best?
Speaking to a nurse at the clinic, he reckons Prezista is " slicker" than Reyataz.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.

Offline buginme2

Re: Contemplating Treatment, Reyataz or Prezista?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 12:03:27 pm »
They are both fine.  Did you ask him what his definition of "slicker" was? 

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 12:07:20 pm »
Reyataz can make your body turn yellow, though it's generally only a temporary effect and goes away after a couple of weeks, though I've also known it to last much longer.

I've been on Prezista now for five years and found it to be side effect free, so my personal preference would be with this.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 12:25:49 pm »
Prezista. Having been on both this is my personal preference and it as, erm, as the nurse put it slicker (better side effect profile so far).

If you want to get on Prezista all you have to say is you don't like the risk of kidney stones from Reyataz. This is uncommon, but does happen, and in terms of consent you don't need to be completely rational about your reasons to refuse Reyataz if that's the way you wanna go, just believe the risks outweight the benefits.

I think if you asked any London doc which of the two they would prefer to use as 1st line therapy they would say Prezista.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline AverageJoe

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:37:14 pm »
Appreciating this feedback, wish I had registered earlier.

Im definately veering towards trying Prezista.  I have been researching both drugs, but it is good to hear others personal opInions and anecdotes regarding this.

Otherwise for now I am also deciding whether to start or wait and watch my numbers.   But that's a whole another topic entirely.

Offline nixsmail

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 01:15:23 pm »
have been on prezista, norvir and truvada since going on meds. nothing in the side effects department and am happy to take once a day. was offered atripla but declined and after much discussion about possibilities decided to go with that combination. haven't regretted it once. just my 2 cents worth.
09/05/07 Officially diagnosed +4yrs at the time
11/06/07 CD4 624 (18%) VL 43,200
05/04/09 CD4 272 (15%) VL 521,190
06/10/09 CD4 127 (13%) VL 626,376 Started Truvada/Prezista/Norvir
07/15/09 CD4 849 (20%) VL 379
09/09/09 CD4 594 (21%) VL 68
01/28/10 CD4 706 (23%) VL 127
05/27/10 CD4 655 (22%) VL 322
07/29/10 CD4 750 (22%) VL 220
10/22/10 CD4 669 (23%) VL 65
12/27/10 CD4 720 (24%) VL 270
03/08/11 CD4 644 (23%) VL 631
07/27/11 CD4 694 (23%) VL <20
03/09/12 CD4 601 (20%) VL UND
11/07/12 CD4 693 (23%) VL UND
04/17/13 CD4 559 (23%) VL UND
11/07/13 CD4 846 (24%) VL UND
03/28/14 CD4 869 (24%) VL UND

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.