Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:19:13 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 227
Total: 227

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Could I still be infected  (Read 9464 times)

Offline Difficult

Could I still be infected
« on: April 05, 2007, 10:38:19 am »
Hello everyone, 
   The last 14 weeks have been incredibly hard for me and I have nothing but respect and compassion for the people that post on this board and help out people who are having hard times with thier virus or the potential of having a virus.
  With that said my situation is as follows.
Sex with HIV positive person,
about 3 days later, a feel a sore throat coming on, this was followed by some joint pain. At 5 days I developed a red rash on hands feet and knees, followed by penis pain. I then came down with a high fever for the next couple days and was unable to eat. At about 8 days I had an outbreak of HPV, that I never had noticed or seen before. This was followed by what was identified as three mollusks on my neck, and red dots on my stomach that still remain. One week later I felt fine, but was scared and went to an ID who gave me a cd4/cd8 count and bdna. My count was normal cd4 990, cd8 447, and bdna was undetectable. I ran another one of these at 7 weeks with an elisa, still undetectable and non reactive ( I know too much testing, I was very scared). Throughout this whole time, i developed an ear infection that was resistant to antibiotics and tonsilitis which persists too this day, but is getting better. I know have had very dry skin in the last 6 weeks and am having trouble getting rid of another skin rash. Which brings me to my negative 14 week oraquick. I just don't know what to think. Could hiv be hiding somewhere, would I have tested positive by now. Any suggestions, comments, thoughts. I was almost over this but it just keeps manifesting as something else. Thank you all for your comments

Offline RapidRod

Re: Could I still be infected
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 10:44:40 am »
Whatever your problem, it's unrelated to HIV. See your dermatologist. You are negative.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 11:07:13 am »
No, HIV doesn't "hide." You have reliably tested negative for HIV. You are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

If your risk involved unprotected intercourse then you need to learn from this experience. In the future you should always be using condoms for intercourse. No exceptions.

As for your symptoms, you've reliably eliminated HIV as a factor. So you and your doctor(s) need to sort out what the real causes of your symptoms maybe.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 11:10:04 am »
If all those symptoms were related to HIV as you say,  the virus would be wreaking havoc on your body and therefore be completely detectable by the test.   

You are reliably negative.   Talk to your doctor about your symptoms as they have nothing to do with HIV.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Difficult

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 11:17:51 am »
I really like your quote.

Offline Difficult

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 12:08:43 pm »
People never test positive after 14 weeks these modern days? Never?

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 12:13:35 pm »
Why do you think you have HIV?
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 12:52:55 pm »
Unless you are IV drug user who has shared needles or have a collapsed immune system due to cancer treatment or the like, the CDC considers 13 weeks a reliable testing point.

You are free to argue with them and nurse this unwarranted fear as long as you want to. It's not our job to do more than give out information as accurately as we can. How you use it is up to you.

You're HIV negative. Period. End of story.
Andy Velez

Offline Difficult

still can't shake it need more advice
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 12:52:34 pm »
I printed my story a couple days ago, and was told no way I have it because of my 14 week negative oraquick. But i guess my question who does seroconvert after 3 months?
and what about Queen Akasha?
Can the HIV virus hide in your system without making antibodies or being in your blood.
I have spots all over my skin had an erythema multiforme rash and didn't have herpes and am getting more scared everyday.
I just don't know how to explain my symptoms.
I do appreciate everyone's help, I am just so scared.
I have still have a sore throat for 3 months and the spots are still over my stomach and back for 3 months. HELP? Any Ideas?

Offline Difficult

Re: still can't shake it need more advice
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 02:10:25 pm »
Please someone

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 02:32:36 pm »
PLease keep all of your entries here and don't start anymore new threads.

You've already been told there is no reason to be concerned nor any need for further testing. You're not going to hear anything different from us about what you have described.

You are HIV negative. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Difficult

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 02:46:53 pm »
Thanks Andy, is that it 13 weeks and no one can have HIV, can I rest easy. Would you say that I can donate blood ( I am not going to). What else could possibly be wrong with.
1 week after sex with someone who is HIV +, I develop all these symptoms, and linger and the rashes, and I find out I have no virus and no antibodies. It is nice to swallow, just very hard to believe

Offline beefbud

• just some flesh caught in this big broken machine"
    • cubster dot com
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 03:07:13 pm »
A rash could be an indicator of other things as well.  Be happy your hiv is negative however did they test for Syphilis?  This is also an STD however is treatable with penicilin, left untreated can be very very serious.  Something you may want to look into getting checked for.
"first impressions are cheap auditions"

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2007, 03:18:06 pm »
You have reliably tested negative for HIV. You are HIV negative. Period.

Discuss your symptoms with your doctor. Whatever is going on has nothing to do with HIV. Even if your mind tells you otherwise. Thoughts aren't facts. A negative test result is a fact.

This is not an HIV situation. Period.
Andy Velez

Offline Difficult

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 11:47:27 am »
I know everyone has said this is not an HIV situation, but symptoms persist and everything else has been ruled out.
Is it true that 13 weeks is it if you have a good immune system. What about the chance that HIV lies dormant in your system, is active but supressed, or is supressed your blood before you have the chance to produce a detectable antibody response. I am freaking out,  I just don't know what else could be causing this.
Thank you all for your patience with my problems

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 12:07:45 pm »
Again I say if the virus is wreaking havoc on your body and causing all of these symptoms the viral load and antibodies would be through the roof and would CERTAINLY be picked up by the test.  You cant have it both ways, your symptoms cannot be because of HIV without the antibodies and viral load being there its physically impossible for something that is hiding out/laying dormant/supressed to have a DRASTIC affect on your body. 

Please tell me you get that.  I cant make it any simpler.  I assure you you have NOT ruled out EVERYTHING else.  You need to keep working with your Dr. to determine what is ACTUALLY wrong.

You are 100% conclusively HIV NEGATIVE! 
RIDE!!!

Offline Difficult

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 12:25:25 pm »
I am only currently and since being tested having a sore throat and dry skin which has resulted in another red rash. I just can't shake the thought of those people who claim to have only made antibody responses in a year 2 years or 5 years, whether they are lying or not, and then the theory of dormant or supressed virus without antibody response

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 12:40:04 pm »
You Said:
"Sex with HIV positive person,
about 3 days later, a feel a sore throat coming on, this was followed by some joint pain. At 5 days I developed a red rash on hands feet and knees, followed by penis pain. I then came down with a high fever for the next couple days and was unable to eat. At about 8 days I had an outbreak of HPV, that I never had noticed or seen before. This was followed by what was identified as three mollusks on my neck, and red dots on my stomach that still remain. One week later I felt fine, but was scared and went to an ID who gave me a cd4/cd8 count and bdna. My count was normal cd4 990, cd8 447, and bdna was undetectable. I ran another one of these at 7 weeks with an elisa, still undetectable and non reactive ( I know too much testing, I was very scared). Throughout this whole time, i developed an ear infection that was resistant to antibiotics and tonsilitis which persists too this day, but is getting better. I know have had very dry skin in the last 6 weeks and am having trouble getting rid of another skin rash. Which brings me to my negative 14 week oraquick. I just don't know what to think. Could hiv be hiding somewhere, would I have tested positive by now. Any suggestions, comments, thoughts. I was almost over this but it just keeps manifesting as something else. Thank you all for your comments"

So dont say that only currently since being tested you've had a sore throat and dry skin.  It contradicts everything you've said so far and screams of you trying to make your symptoms FIT into an HIV mold....which they DONT.

First of all, HIV does NOT lie dormant or supressed, it was theorized that it did early on in the pandemic but that has been proven FALSE in multiple experiments since then.  There are people who are called Long Term Non Progressors who actually keep the virus in check but they still test positive for HIV. 

You do NOT have HIV.  Your symptoms, which are in no way HIV related, have persisted too long to be ARS related AND you've reliably tested negative.  Could you please explain to me how the virus is causing all of the trouble with your body and is undetectable at the same time?  Keeping in mind the significant damage it has to cause to the immune system (other than seroconversion) to manifest itself physically.

It is completely illogical.  Not to mention YOU TESTED NEGATIVE.
RIDE!!!

Offline Difficult

« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 01:04:18 pm »
If I read my post, looking at my testing and numbers, I too would say that HIV has been ruled out, I just laughed when reading your post, but it is so real, and whenever I go back to think what could have happened, I only come up with one plausable solution.
I will continue to see a doctor at 6 months and retest for HSV which i have never had lesions to try and figure this mess out, but I really do appreciate your help, sometimes it just helps to type about it.

Offline ACinKC

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2007, 01:12:24 pm »
If I read my post, looking at my testing and numbers, I too would say that HIV has been ruled out, I just laughed when reading your post, but it is so real, and whenever I go back to think what could have happened, I only come up with one plausable solution.
I will continue to see a doctor at 6 months and retest for HSV which i have never had lesions to try and figure this mess out, but I really do appreciate your help, sometimes it just helps to type about it.

No.  You are coming up with an IMplausible solution!

If you need to test for your own piece of mind then do it.  But you dont need to.  Based on your thread I would say your anxiety is deeper and you may need some guidance as to how best to negotiate it.  I would suggest you may want to speak with a therapist if you keep coming back here in denial and do not accept your results.

Good luck.
RIDE!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 01:26:45 pm »
Difficult, we've told you what we know. You are HIV negative.

It's time to stop returning here with stuff that's going on in your mind that has absolutely no basis in HIV science. As AC has suggested, go see a therapist or other professional to sort out your concerns about HIV.

We've done what we can do for you. Now you're in danger of being given a time out for just coming back and repeating the same old stuff. Get on with your life and/or get some professional help. 
Andy Velez

Offline Difficult

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 01:33:52 pm »
Thank you I am sorry, I didn't mean to disturb the controlled calm on this board, my anxiety has gotten the best of me, that is one thing that is for sure

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 03:31:58 pm »
Anxiety, fears and feelings are transitory. They aren't facts. Negative rest results, especially one at 14 weeks, those are facts. So factually you know you are HIV negative.

Your fears and doubts continue. Those are feelings. It's not about you disturbing the "controlled calm" here, whatever that is. It's about you doing some work to get to the real cause of your unwarraned concerns, be it with another doctor checking out your symptoms and/or a therapist to deal with the emotional aspects of the situation.
Andy Velez

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.