Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:18:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 802
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 687
Total: 687

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Gynecomastia  (Read 4398 times)

Offline ryeguy

Gynecomastia
« on: April 06, 2009, 12:36:44 pm »
Over  the passed 5 years my doctor has prescribed decadurabolin to me in order to regain more strength in my lower body. This helped for a short period of time, not only did it improve the strength in my legs but in my entire body. I gained approximately 10 Lbs. of leans muscle mass and felt better than I could remember.

When I was content with my lower body strength I stopped take decedurabolin. As a result, over the years I lost the lower body strength and developed a minor case of Gynecomastia.

I go to the gym a couple times a week but am still very unappeased with my physique and lower body strength. My num-nut doctor wants to put me back on decadurabolin, which I refuse. I am convinced that this would just make the gyno worse with time.

Therefore I will try a low-carb diet in combination with more sport and high repetition chest program.

I would appreciate any suggestions from others who have gathered experience with GYNE.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:38:33 pm by ryeguy »

Offline weasel

Re: Gynecomastia
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 08:38:56 pm »
HI ,
     I had to GOOGLE  to get info on  Gyn. .

The information makes it SOUND  like an outpatient  surgery !

YOUTUBE  has several   cases on it !

I hope you are well  and that you can find a good  source  for  the problem !

Sorry I can NOT  offer any personal  info .

be good , be healthy ,
                                                                         Carl   
" Live and let Live "

Offline rick21007

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 03:12:42 pm »
Ryeguy----Have you had a conversation with your MD about gynecomastia?  First of all there is true gynecomastia which involves the excessive development of mammary tissue---not just fat.  Diet and exercise will not impact this condition.  There is pseudo-gynecomastia which involves deposits of fat tissue in the breasts.  This can be a form of lipodystrophy.  Atripla is one hiv med tha can cause pseudo-gyno for example and I would bet any hiv med regiimen which can cause lypodystrophy could be the culprit as far as causing false gyno.   Gynecomastia is most commonly caused by alcohol or cannabis use or as a side effect of medications such as zantac which people take for acid reflux disease or as a side effect of anabolic steroid use.   You also might want to think about getting a testosterone level done because low testosterone levels can also be involved.   All this is to say that the etiology, diagnosis and treatment of gyno can be complex and difficult.  One more thing:  a work out routine that focuses on developing the pectorial muscles may or may not give you the results you are looking for.  Increasing pectorial muscle development will in effect push your breasts forward and give them natural support so they in fact can become even more prominent.  On the plus size increasing the muscle mass above your breasts and increasing the muscle mass in your shoulders and upper arms will make your breasts appear smaller by comparison.  Increasing and toning muscle mass has no effect on actual mammary tissue where there is true gyno BTW--the muscle tissue anatomically lies behind and above the mammary glandular tissue.  I would talk to a physical trainer about this.    This may not be what you want to hear but hope it is helpful.

rick
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 03:17:43 pm by rick21007 »

Offline lipoenvy

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 12:51:50 am »
My own experience was that gynecomastia developed suspiciously soon after an 11-week course of testosterone and nandralone injections.  This required surgery, which had to be listed as a "biopsy" so my insurance wouldn't kick it back as cosmetic surgery (!), which in turn required a mammogram beforehand.  Every man should have the surreal experience of going for a mammogram in Texas.  ("Sir - WHAT are you here for??"  Yes, the receptionist actually asked me that.  "Well, you're gonna have to fill out these forms yourself, cuz I don't know what to put."  Yes, she said that too.)

I, too, was unable to retain the lean mass gained.

I'm curious - why a low-carb diet?  Have you ended up with high percent body fat?  Have you considered instead eliminating refined carbohydrates?

lipoenvy

Offline jportland

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 02:41:39 am »
It is very suprising to me to hear that this happened to you and is sad as it's very basic info and common knowledge on how to prevent gyno. Most people on any kind of steroid and or the docs that put you on them would know about gyno and how to easily prevent it.  It's called PCT ( Post Cycle Therapy.) It is VERY well known and discussed on any website for years that gyno or "bitch tits" as they are referred to are a very real possiblility after doing any kind of steroid.  Weather or not steroids are done under a doctor or illigally it is common knowledge how to rid oneself of getting gyno and is ALWAYS recommended to take anti estrogen pills after ANY cycle of steriods to easly prevent on onset of gyno.   If this were not the case than all the millions of men and boys that do steroids would all have gyno.  You take them for one month. Clomid and Nolvadex.
                            Any bodybuilding website or steroid site can tell you about them and PCT. I included a passage from just one of them below.  You MUST take them for a few weeks RITE after you stop taking  steroids because if you wait and get gyno and do it after you already have gyno than it's to late and the anti estorgen pills won't work and you will be stuck with the gyno unless surgically removed.  So I am sorry your doc didn't inform you of this and it is an outcry that he did not as again it's common knowledge in the body building world that you MUST take clomid or Nolvadex after you stop taking steroids.  If you did a cycle for 12 weeks or were on them for 5 years straight it wouldn't matter, all you woulda have to done was take anti estrogen pills or PCT for one month to not get gyno.
                           I would actually sue the doctor almost for not telling you.  It'd be like going to the doctor and getting stitches and the doc not telling you that they don't dissolve and that you have to come back in to get them removed.  It is astounding that you were not told of this or put on anything rite after you stopped taking steroids by your doctor.  A very basic search on the internet regaurding steroids before you started taking them would have given you this elementry info. I am sorry you were not informed about this prior to being on roids. Best of luck to you.  Here is one article of many on this issue.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" Problems of gyno can show up after  a cycle, the use of 20-30 mg of nolvadex should take care of the problem, and this quantity of nolvadex should be used just to be safe. 100mg of clomid, the weaker counterpart of nolvadex, can also be used to contain these problems. Using anti-estrogens or aromatase inhibitors during cycle will reduce your gains, so they are not recommended to use concurrently unless gyno or estrogen related symptoms show up while on steroids. Exceptions to this are for users who are highly sensitive to estrogen (for example those with a genetic predisposition to gyno), or those using highly aromatizing substances.

Once a cycle of steroids is finished, post cycle therapy should always be included in order to bring back normal levels of testosterone production which have been suppressed for the length of the cycle and to prevent gyno. If only oral steroids were used, post cycle therapy should start immediately. If short acting esters or water based injectables were used, PCT should start within 4-7 days after the last injection was made, and if longer acting esters were used, PCT should start 1.5-3 weeks after the last injection (depending on the specific steroid). The length of PCT normally runs between 3-5 weeks. The general rule of thumb is that the longer acting the product cycled was, the longer the therapy should be. When used properly, nolvadex can help the athlete regain natural production and normalize all other factors fairly quickly. Doses of both clomid and nolvadex are tapered down. "
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 03:25:55 am by jportland »
2001 tested neg
8/2002  seroconvert
9/2002 Tested Poz
No Meds
2/2003 302/25% 76K
9/2004 463/23% 14K
8/2005 342/22% 19K
7/2006 381/29% 24K
3/2007 386/34% 34K
3/2008 230/21% 269K
3/2008  Started Meds
7/2008 485/23% VL 140
9/2008 465/24% VL Undetectable
1/2010 581/29% VL Undectectable

Offline newbernswiss

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 04:33:32 am »
RYeguy,
I have the same problem. My chest looks like Dolly Parton ::). No lie. I get comments at work all the time and when I'm out in public lots of staring, :P especially if I wear a tight shirt, which is not often. I wear very loose clothing to help concel the problem. I do laugh at myself at times especially when I hear women bitching about how small their breast are. If they could see mine, how jeously they would be.

Anyway, I've tried everything, my next option is surgery. Breast reduction. Who would have ever thought, me a man, having breast reduction.  I've already spoken to the doctor about breast reduction, when I get up the courage I'll have it done. What would Pamla Anderson think?  ;D ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 05:21:36 am »

"bitch tits" as they are referred to

I've never heard them called that - I've always heard "man-boobs", which sounds a little better, but maybe I'm just sensitive to the word "bitch". ;)

I would actually sue the doctor almost for not telling you.  It'd be like going to the doctor and getting stitches and the doc not telling you that they don't dissolve and that you have to come back in to get them removed. 

I had my daughter by c-section and the surgeon sewed my inner (and outer) incisions with non-dissolving stitches. While he told me about the outer ones, he didn't say anything about the inner ones - he probably didn't realise the mistake he'd made. I discovered the error when I started having bits of filament pop through the skin on my belly (and yes, it was verified by a doctor that this was what was happening). I'd seen a few officials about suing this guy, as this wasn't his only mistake during the c-section, and was told the queue for malpractice litigation concerning him was several years long. Wish I'd known that before I chose him as my doc! (sorry for the hijack, but you reminded me...)

I know several men with man-boobs as a result of meds - but none of them seem too concerned about it. Saying that though, they don't normally go shirtless, but they didn't before this happened either.

I also know a few men who have man-boobs as a result of the vast quantities of pot they smoke. Never knew alcohol was also implicated (as Rick21007 mentioned). It makes me wonder, Rye, do you smoke pot or drink much?

Hope you get something sorted soon.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline ryeguy

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 06:58:21 pm »
No pot, some wine often at diner with my boyfriend but not excessive.

I would like to sue the doc at least for the cost of the operation as here in Germany it will not be covered by the normal state medical insurance. The problem is that in Germany it is very hard to sue a doctor.

Thankyou all for the info's you have given me, I just got off a12 hour shift I will write more and answer questions when I have slept.:-)

X
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 01:31:57 pm by JimDublin »

Offline freaky_dream

• mmm
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 09:18:46 pm »
I've never heard them called that - I've always heard "man-boobs", which sounds a little better, but maybe I'm just sensitive to the word "bitch". ;)

"Btich tits" is body builder slang. Guys who roid up to build muscle always run the risk of getting gynecomastia due to the hormone effects of the steroids. Anyways I read somewhere the male breast reduction surgery is actually very common(one of the most common male cosmetic surgeries I believe) so I wouldn't feel too ashamed of getting it done.

Freaky "Only double A, thinking triple X" Dream

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 05:15:54 am »
"Btich tits" is body builder slang. Guys who roid up to build muscle always run the risk of getting gynecomastia due to the hormone effects of the steroids. Anyways I read somewhere the male breast reduction surgery is actually very common(one of the most common male cosmetic surgeries I believe) so I wouldn't feel too ashamed of getting it done.

Freaky "Only double A, thinking triple X" Dream

Cheers. I feel all enlightened n'shit. ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.