Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:42:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 215
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Symptoms symptoms symptoms  (Read 14399 times)

Offline Gigou

Symptoms symptoms symptoms
« on: November 20, 2008, 04:23:05 pm »
Hi guys! I am 20 years old uncircumcised male from Europe. I had unprotected sex with prostitute in Beijing five weeks ago,oral and vaginal.I started with condom but was drunk and lost my erection so I pulled off condom and continue without it. Stupid,I know that now,unfortunately! A day after that two small red dots show up on the head of my penis. I was at the doctor urologyst 2 weeks after that and he said that that was iritation and that I am ok. Although he gave me some antibiotics just in case that I didn't catch any bacterial STDs. Four weeks after encounter I had night sweats for one week and developed some strange rash on my forehead and small warts on my right hand. I was tested for HIV and other STDs 7 weeks after my exposure-all negative!!! I found only some bacterias(Enterococcus faecalis and staphylococcus-two small red spot on the glans) and I took antibiotics for them. Also I did CBC and I found out my lymphocytes was 20%(normal range 20-46%). But two days after my testing i had flu-like illnesses(two people in my family had the same at that time),my temperature was low grade(max.was 37.8 C),runny nose,swollen lymph node under my chin and in the groins,ulcer on my lip,flu last one week,i had no sore throat,no diarrhea,I lost 4 kilos since my exposure and i have white tongue since then,and my temperature is in range 36.8-37.2 C except when i had flu. I also woke up one day with terrible abdominal pain that last a half of day. After I took antibiotics for bacterias,my glans and foreskin became so red and itchy,it was balanitis. Lymph nodes in my groins became painful. I took anothe rapidr test for HIV 11 weeks after encounter and it came back negative. Staphylococcus and enterococcus bacterias didn't go away so I took antibiotics again and diflucan and cream for balanitis and that gone away now. Also I took standard elisa test 12 weeks after encounter,I waited results a week and it came back NEGATIVE again. I did also my CBC and now my lymphocytes are 49 %. This is very stressful period for me,I cannot eat anything,still have swollen lymph nodes in groins and one under my tongue,confirmed by doctor. My questions are:1) Should I take my 12 weeks result as a conclusive or I should wait another 3 month?. 2) Should I be worried about my high lymphocytes?
P.S. sorry for my bad english

Thank you very much!

Offline Gigou

Re: Symptoms symptoms symptoms
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 04:31:37 pm »
Not 5 weeks!!! It was 14 weeks ago now

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 04:34:49 pm »
3 months post exposure will give you a conclusive test result.

Offline Gigou

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 04:38:49 pm »
My last test was 12 weeks after encounter. Is that good enough? Should I be worried about different subtypes in Asia?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 04:51:28 pm »
You are worrying needlessly. In the US 13 weeks is recommended by the CDC but in many other countries a negative at 12 weeks is considered reliable. So no, you do not need to re-test again.

You are reliably HIV negative. Period. End of story.

If you have ongoing symptoms that's something to discuss with a doctor. They have nothing to do with HIV.

You do need to learn from this experience. Mixing casual sex with excessive drinking leads to just what you did -- having intercourse without a condom. Fortunately you scooted by safely this time. As long as you always use a condom it doesn't matter where you are or whom you are with, you will be well protected against HIV.
Andy Velez

Offline Gigou

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 05:01:52 pm »
Thanks Andy,you're the boss!!!
Should I be worried about my lymphocytes,they are pretty high 49%??? Is that a sign of viral infection? Could they be high from HIV???

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 05:44:02 pm »
You're conclusively negative so your lymphocytes have nothing to do with HIV.

Offline Gigou

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 06:09:21 pm »
Ok,I understand that,thank u Rod! I am curious about one thing. If the test after 3 months is 97% reliable,how can anyone know that he/she won't be in that group of 3%? So how can test at 3 months be conclusive,there are still 3% chance that someone could be infected???

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 06:15:11 pm »
Because the 3% are those on chemo, anti-rejection drugs for transplants and those that are chronic IV drug abusers. I'm sure you don't fall in that group.

Offline Gigou

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 06:27:16 pm »
No,I am not but I think that liverpool77 in "I just tested positive" not either. I know that this is the internet and that we cannot believe in all what we read but what if this guy is honest and that what he said is true. He tested positive after 4 months negative.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 07:44:32 pm »
Gig,

Liverpool has not been confirmed as hiv positive. I fully expect him to test negative on his Western Blot. He's not even been back - he's probably already tested negative.

You've tested conclusively hiv negative. It's time for you to move on with your life. And it would be a good idea to stay out of forums that have nothing to do with you.

And don't bother bringing anymore "case studies" back here to this forum from that forum. It's rude if nothing else. How would you like people talking behind your back? Sheesh.

Ann
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 07:46:35 pm by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Gigou

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2008, 01:12:17 pm »
Can you tell me please in which year is the window period changed from 6 months to 3 months?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2008, 02:22:54 pm »
It's been years since the CDC changes from 6 months to 3 months. All generations of tests currently in use yield a reliable result at 3 months.

The only test that matters as far as HIV status is an HIV test. Not lymphocytes and not anything you are squirreling around about to scare yourself about unnecessarily. Give up the drama now and get on with your life. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Gigou

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2008, 02:51:04 pm »
Thank you Andy on your response!
My biggest concern are my swollen lymph nodes in groins and one big node under my chin. They started swollen in very bad time,after my unprotected exposure,and they cannot be swollen without reason...
I will repeat my test next week just to be sure.
But once again,thanks Andy!

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2008, 04:39:56 pm »
As you have already been told this is not an HIV problem.

Just for your information the lymph nodes that most frequently swell are in your neck, under your chin, in your armpits and in your groin.

For inflamed or swollen lymph nodes, in most cases, can be treated by over-the-counter (OTC) pain killers.

BTW..my husband has swollen lymph nodes at the moment, he has the flu, is HIV negative and on pain killers.

Jan
« Last Edit: November 23, 2008, 04:41:48 pm by anniebc »
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline Gigou

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 05:22:29 pm »
Ok,he has the swollen lymph because he has the flu and his nodes will probably be swollen no longer than a month,but my nodes are swollen for more then 3 months now. My doctor confirmed that and he doesn't know what is wrong with me. Because of that my the biggest fear is HIV!!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 05:29:41 pm »
Whatever is causing your symptoms has nothing to do with HIV. You have a conclusive negative result.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 05:32:02 pm »
...and no matter how much you carry on about them, swollen lymph nodes are NOT an HIV specific occurrence. Period.

Plus the minor detail you continue to ignore that you have reliably tested negative.
Andy Velez

Offline Gigou

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 09:13:07 pm »
I am sorry if I am boring but I can't help myself,I have to ask. I have read on this site that rare cases are those that have transplant, IV drug users people on chemotherapy but nowhere in a medical journal has it been stated explicitly that when the CDC says rare cases that it only applies to these group of people. They would only say in rare cases.If  97% of people will show up in 3 months then we can't be too sure who the 3 % will actually be and we could all be gambling the health of our partners because we don't know for sure who is the rare case. And the rate of acquisition of anti-HIV antibodies may vary from one HIV subtype to the other, and may be slower with CRF Subtype A/E. What do you say about this?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 09:29:47 pm »
I say you need to stop this mental handwringing. You have reliably tested negative. You ARE HIV negative. Your swollen lymph nodes are something to discuss with your doctor.

And by the way you need to keep your hands off of them as squeezing, pressuring and otherwise molesting them is the perfect way to create a problem where nothing serious exists.

Stop searching the net for material to feed your fears with. We've been around the block on this stuff for quite a while. If we had ANY doubts about your status we would say so.

Give it up, let it go and get on with your life. And make sure that in the future you use a condom everytime you have intercourse. No exceptions until if and when you're in a securely monogamous relationship in which both partners have reliably tested negative together.
Andy Velez

Offline Gigou

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2008, 10:39:44 am »
I hope you have right Andy,thanks a lot! Still,my anxiety is on a very high level so I will take one more test this week and that will be that. Once again,THANK YOU!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2008, 07:54:47 am »
Yes well, feelings are not the same things as facts. And the fact is you have reliably tested negative. Your next test result is a slam dunk to be negative again as far as I am concerned. Hopefully that will give you the peace to move on with your life.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Gigou

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 06:17:49 pm »
Hello again! I took the test today 4 months after exposure and it was NEGATIVE!!! Now I can move on with my life and I will, definitely. I just want to thank you all especially to you Andy. You have right when you say that I have to stop searching the net. I see that now.

I wish you all the best!

Cheers!!!

Offline Gigou

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 06:22:23 pm »
Andy rules!!!!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 07:34:21 pm »
Good for you, Gigou. Enjoy it and protect your status by always using condoms for vaginal and anal  intercourse.

Good luck to you.
Andy Velez

Offline Gigou

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 09:01:05 am »
I know that I promised to stay out from this forum but my fear came back now and I will tell you why... :(  First,my lymph nodes are still palpable in my groins and neck,especially the one under my jaw which is visible now. I remind that my doctor saw all of that and he thinks that they are not worrisome because I am very skinny person( I have 191cm and my weight is 73 kilos) but he proposed biopsy if I remained concerned.
Second,what makes me crazy is symptoms of my girlfriend. About three months ago we were kissing and suddenly my nose started to bleeding and I didn't notice until she told me that and then it started to bleeding heavily. I know the ways of HIV transmission but she obviously tasted a lot of blood in that situation. And yes,we have sexual intercourses but they are all protected. She has stomach aches and headaches all the time(which I never had),and 2 weeks ago she had some spotting before her menstruation. What scares me the most is the rash which she has now. It is the same rash which I had on my forehead and palms. And she also had some aphthous ulcers 3 weeks ago. They are a lot of symptoms and she doesn't know about my encounter so it can't be from anxiety and stress.
 My doctor seems to know not very much about HIV,she thinks that HIV is mostly transmitted between gays so I have done with her. I read about some cases who tested negative on antibody tests but has the positive viral load. Can that be possible? Should I take a PCR because of these symptoms? Can the biopsy of lymph node help conclude what is wrong with me? Can HIV be detected by biopsy of lymph node? What should be my next step???

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 09:11:32 am »
We're not going to discuss your symptoms with you over again and nonsense like biopsies for HIV when you have reliably tested negative. You're HIV negative and that's the end of the story no matter what your scary thoughts about it say otherwise.

Your girlfirend should see her doctor if she has any physical concerns. They can't be about HIV from you because you can't pass something you don't have.

If you continue to return here with more cmpulsive and unfounded fears you're going to end up getting a Time Out. You are HIV negative and that's all there is to that. Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Gigou

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 09:37:38 am »
Ok Andy!
It's so hard to move with my life when I have a lot of symptoms for which I cannot find the reason.
I know that you gave me all what you can do in this situation. I won't post anymore.

Good luck to you again!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2009, 10:19:53 am »
Use the doctors for diagnosing symptoms and not your fears.

And if you really can't let go of this unwarranted concern then perhaps you ought to consider talking with a therapist or other professional to get some support with the emotional aspects of the situation.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 03:32:21 pm »
margo96, you recieved a warning on MedHelp for going over and over again about a conclusive negative test so here is your one from this website.

Anyone who continues to post excessively, questioning a conclusive negative result or no-risk situation, will be subject to a four week Time Out (a temporary ban from the Forums). If you continue to post excessively after one Time Out, you may be given a second Time Out which will last eight weeks. There is no third Time Out - it is a permanent ban. The purpose of a Time Out is to encourage you to seek the face-to-face help we cannot provide on this forum.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.