Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 04:12:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 309
Total: 310

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just received results - help with understanding  (Read 5757 times)

Offline jaxondc

Just received results - help with understanding
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:59:54 pm »
Hi all,

I tested positive on 10/18 and this past week I just received all the results back from the gallon of blood my doctor took from me. They tested everything (full panel, lipids, std's, etc.) and my numbers are perfect across the board (yay!).  However since I'm new with this, I don't know how to interpret the "big two":  Viral Load and WBC count.  My WBC is 3.2 and my Viral Load is 53,039. Considering I am recently infected I know it would be high. I have decided to start medication on my next appointment (next Monday) and will eventually be Undetectable. 

Can anyone explain to a newbie if these numbers now are low/high/normal?  Thanks!
10/18:  Tested positive
11/18:  VL 53039

Offline Almost2late

Re: Just received results - help with understanding
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 08:14:24 pm »
Hi Jax and welcome :)

WBC is white blood cell count and 3.8 - 10.8 is considered normal.. Viral Load is the amount of copies of HIV in your blood and under 50 is considered Undetectable which is where we want to be.. Once you start meds I'm sure you will be UD in no time.. Hope that helps.

Offline jaxondc

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 08:21:21 pm »
Thanks!  I had an idea about the ranges, but with my numbers...is that "normal" for a month in?  I know everyone is different, obviously, so there may not be an answer at all right now.

Offline AusShep

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 08:28:57 pm »
Glad you're going to start meds right away.

Usually the CD4 count (and %) is the other lab to look at in the beginning.  Ideally, you want it to recover to or stay above 500.

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 08:37:33 pm »
Aus is right, what you want to keep an I on is your cd4's and if they're over 500, I wouldn't even worry about them anymore

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 09:05:39 pm »
However since I'm new with this, I don't know how to interpret the "big two":  Viral Load and WBC count.  My WBC is 3.2 and my Viral Load is 53,039.
the only time your wbc is probably going to be of any interest is if you have some other infection or cancer.

the big two numbers are actually the Viral Load and Cd4 Tcell count. the cd4/cd8 percentage isn't even really important any more - though before you start meds, this number could help you understand exactly how damaged your immune system is. A new report out suggests that starting meds immediately may be the way to go rather than waiting until a certain percentage or a certain cd4 count. In other words starting before HIV does any more damage at all ;) However, up to now, the recommendation has been to start meds when your tcells are at 500 or less.

don't get to distracted by the cd4 number. here's what you need to know. It can literally change by 100 pts in a single day - so there really isn't that much difference between say 400 and 500. We do know that under 200 is when opportunistic infections may happen. we also know that "normal" range is anywhere from 400 to 1200. that is a HUGE range and that's why as long as your count is over 250 or so, you shouldn't freak out too much. (Almost and Aus say 500, and don't I wish. LOL I haven't have 500 in 28 yrs (or maybe ever!) and I yet haven't been back in a hospital in 18 yrs since I was under the 200 mark.) As most of us never even dreamed of getting a cd4 count done BEFORE being infected by HIV, there really is no way to know what your "normal" was or what it should be now.

successful treatment is to have a Undetectable viral load, which not only may also result in 0% transmission rate; but certainly allows your immune system to recover to whatever point it may recover to. (that point is pretty unknown by us as your immune system is based on your genetics). However your 50+K viral is fairly high and, unless you were very recently infected, it suggests that you probably should begin meds soon.

so all you need to know to understand you and HIV is your viral load and cd4. those are the "big two". any other number (Blood pressure, kidney functions, wbc, cholesterol, triglycerides, etc) is related to blood pressure, how your body is processing your meds, or cancer and/or other infections.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 09:08:30 pm »
oops! I meant to tell you to read through the LESSONS section here. (from the dark gray toolbar under TREATMENT). all you need to know about the tests, the drugs, etc is there. Of course, we're always here to answer questions; but knowing about your illness and how to properly treat it is part of YOU being a good patient and advocating for yourself and your health care. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline jaxondc

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 11:34:22 pm »
Thank you all so so much, that was extremely helpful and will become more clear once I speak to my doctor next week.  I assumed my viral count would be high since it's only been a month since I tested positive...three months before that I was negative.  This is nerdy of me (and trying to stay optimistic amidst the circumstances) but I'm looking forward to graphing the results of subsequent tests to chart the day I'm finally undetectable!

Offline jaxondc

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 11:42:30 pm »
Also, my CD4 is 44.1% and from what I've read, that's good...?

Offline pittman

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 11:58:17 pm »
Also, my CD4 is 44.1% and from what I've read, that's good...?

Yes, very good.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.