Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:26:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 209
Total: 210

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: High grade AIN  (Read 7718 times)

Offline wolfter

High grade AIN
« on: May 27, 2011, 03:59:04 pm »
Back from the surgeon's office.  He said it looks like everything is healing nicely.  (thankfully, he didn't take a look deep inside).  His primary concern is high grade AIN.  He already contacted my ID doctor and scheduled an appointment for me to see him in 2 weeks to review the pathology reports.  He was hesitant to discuss it further as he said my doctor has a better understanding and can discuss all the options with me.  That in itself kinda worries me as I understood  intra epithelial neoplasia to simply means that it is pre cancerous.  So I'm going to be wondering why I need immediate options?

I'm not needing advice as much as wondering if anyone has personal knowledge and can perhaps explain it in  layman's words.  I was getting headaches trying to research it on the net.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: High grade AIN
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 05:20:43 pm »
I recommend using the search function hear and look for "anal dysplasia" as there are several where it's fully discussed, mostly with input from myself and edfu, as well as many useful links.

Other than that, and as I've personally not familiarized myself with what you've written in other threads about what's going on with your doctor, is it safe to assume that you just had a colorectal surgeon give you an anoscopy? What exactly did he do? I'm also not sure why the colorectal surgeon wouldn't just lay out a prospective treatment plan with you instead of sending you back to your ID doctor, but whatever.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 05:46:33 pm »
I had the surgical procedure 2 weeks ago to have dysplastic internal hemorrhoid removed.  They removed some tissue around some internal fissures and removed some internal warts also.  I had a biopsy done during a colonoscopy last month that lead to meeting with the surgeon.  These pathology reports indicated I have high grade AIN. 

I left there quite confused but knew I had the appointment scheduled with my doctor so I wasn't too concerned.  But waiting 2 weeks might start gnawing at me.  Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can find some other posts here on the issue.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 05:55:50 pm »
1) don't let the term "pre-cancerous" scare you, just call it "high grade anal dysplasia". It generally develops slowly, and pre-cancerous just means that if it's untreated it can possibly lead to anal cancer.

2) so whatever they found, and going by the process you described that delivered these results, I must assume the next step for you would be an anoscopy, which is just a device that allows them to observe the first couple of inches up your poop chute. They'll then decide how far along the lesion is and how to treat it. When I had this same thing they monitored it for 12-18 months and then went in and zapped it with a laser.

3) I'm still not sure why he's sending you back to the ID, as it was a colorectal surgeon who did my anoscopy and laser surgery. I guess you'll find out why they're doing it this way. Maybe he's not a colorectal surgeon that has done much of that process and wants you to go elsewhere, dunno.

So short answer is there's no reason to freak out about waiting two weeks, you shouldn't keel over and die. Go pour yourself some vino. Once you know more come back and write in this thread what else you found out, or feel free to PM me.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 05:57:35 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 06:08:17 pm »
The dysplasia part of this I researched prior to the surgery.  The concern is the AIN.  This pathology report  determined it is neoplasia.  I'm not scared, just trying to do some research before I meet with the doctor so I can be more knowledgeable.

Offline eric48

• Standard
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2011, 06:28:45 pm »
Absolutly not my turf but I remember this:

AIN is not invasive anal cancer

which I read here:

http://blogs.poz.com/joseph/archives/2011/03/_kaposis_sarcoma_ks.html

and has a chapter titled

A word about anal intraepithelial neoplasia - AIN:

hope this info helps you

Eric
NVP/ABC/3TC/... UD ; CD4 > 900; CD4/CD8 ~ 1.5   stock : 6 months (2013: FOTO= 5d. ON 2d. OFF ; 2014: Clin. Trial NCT02157311 = 4days ON, 3days OFF ; 2015: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02157311 ; 2016: use of granted patent US9101633, 3 days ON, 4days OFF; 2017: added TDF, so NVP/TDF/ABC/3TC, once weekly

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2011, 06:37:05 pm »
Maybe I'm not making myself clear enough. Anal dysplasia and anal intra-epithelial neoplasia are (as far as I know) interchangeable terms. There's low grade, and then there's high grade. Obviously higher grades need more frequent monitoring and/or treatment as I described.

I'm not sure if I answered your questions in that respect.  If you want pages and pages of explanations it's easy to google this, and like I said there's been several threads on the same topic here. What exactly are you not understanding?

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2011, 08:27:55 pm »
Maybe I'm not making myself clear enough. Anal dysplasia and anal intra-epithelial neoplasia are (as far as I know) interchangeable terms.

Right....and if I was perfectly clear, I wouldn't be researching. I didn't ask for pages, hence asking for a lay person's understanding.  I only was told this today and I'm pretty sure I can use google, I was just hoping for some first hand accounts of similar experiences. 

Nothing is "obvious" to me at this point, but thanks for pointing out that I have less knowledge than most .  It was very beneficial to my original post.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2011, 08:30:28 pm »
I did, in fact, give you my own experience with the issue. I'm sorry you didn't appreciate it. I won't bother the next time.

I also apologize for my initial confusion about what you did and didn't know about the subject. It was difficult to glean from your first post, but I suppose that's my fault as well. ::) All I was trying to do was ascertain what you did or didn't know about the topic, and/or what you were told by your doctor. I fail to understand how you saw that as unreasonable, or why you're now being defensive and choosing to attack me personally.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2011, 08:37:03 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline wolfter

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 12:11:17 am »
I did, in fact, give you my own experience with the issue. I'm sorry you didn't appreciate it. I won't bother the next time.

I also apologize for my initial confusion about what you did and didn't know about the subject. It was difficult to glean from your first post, but I suppose that's my fault as well. ::) All I was trying to do was ascertain what you did or didn't know about the topic, and/or what you were told by your doctor. I fail to understand how you saw that as unreasonable, or why you're now being defensive and choosing to attack me personally.

You know bud, I really enjoy you.  I wasn't aiming to create chaos.  It took a couple of beers and a fair amount of internal searching to put it in perspective.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 12:18:44 am »
It took a couple of beers and a fair amount of internal searching to put it in perspective.

Hair of the dog that bit ya again?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 12:22:04 am »
Right....and if I was perfectly clear, I wouldn't be researching. I didn't ask for pages, hence asking for a lay person's understanding.  I only was told this today and I'm pretty sure I can use google, I was just hoping for some first hand accounts of similar experiences.  

Nothing is "obvious" to me at this point, but thanks for pointing out that I have less knowledge than most .  It was very beneficial to my original post.

You know bud, I really enjoy you.  I wasn't aiming to create chaos.  It took a couple of beers and a fair amount of internal searching to put it in perspective.

Wolf, you know I like you, and I will say this without any ill intention.  What you said before to David was not nice at all and was totally unwarranted. Not even using the alkie as an excuse justifies the way that you barked back at someone who was sincerely trying to help you.  Just sayin'.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 12:28:53 am »
Poor form, Wolfie.

David has forgotten more about AIDS than most of us will ever know. When he tells you a thing, you should pay attention.

You certainly shouldn't insult him.

MtD

Offline wolfter

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2011, 12:38:24 am »
Fuck you guys.  I tried to extend an olive branch where I shouldn't have and you act this way.  Go ahead and say what you need, this was a post about what I was/am dealing with, and if you think it's best to move forward in this manner.....Using any tidbit of information you've accumulated with the intent of an attack is so fucking declasse.  Worn out loosers, said with a self imposed time out. 

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2011, 12:40:08 am »
Fuck you guys.  I tried to extend an olive branch where I shouldn't have and you act this way.  Go ahead and say what you need, this was a post about what I was/am dealing with, and if you think it's best to move forward in this manner.....Using any tidbit of information you've accumulated with the intent of an attack is so fucking declasse.  Worn out loosers, said with a self imposed time out. 

Sleep it off Wolfie. When you come back, we'll start again like it didn't happen.

MtD

Offline wolfter

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 12:41:03 am »
Poor form, Wolfie.

David has forgotten more about AIDS than most of us will ever know. When he tells you a thing, you should pay attention.

You certainly shouldn't insult him.

MtD

Shut the fuck up.  You're an idiot too.  Was that insulting enough for his gallery?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 12:42:12 am »
Shut the fuck up.  You're an idiot too.  Was that insulting enough for his gallery?

Whatever, doll. ::)

MtD

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 12:42:32 am »
Shut the fuck up.  You're an idiot too.  Was that insulting enough for his gallery?

Uncalled for.  And reported.
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 12:54:55 am »
Thanks for the abuse, Wolf.  Not sure who is advising you on behaving like this, but tomorrow you'll look at these posts with shame. The very people that you're attacking will probably still be here for you.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline David Evans

• Standard
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2011, 01:55:35 am »
Wolf,

You've got a seven day time out. I can understand feeling stressed out about this, but you went way too far and it seems like you need time to cool off. You might also want to consider how you're going to apologize when, or if, you come back.

David

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2011, 12:27:00 am »
  Not sure who is advising you on behaving like this,

I'm not sure either but you can be sure someone is.

Wolfie I'm not sure when you will get to read this, but I hope you do, it's been so nice finally getting to know you through PM's and now this happens, this doesn't sound like you at all, if there is anything you want to talk about you know how to get in touch with me...take care of you.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.