Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:55:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 358
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 332
Total: 333

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: From Atripla to Truvada/Isentress...AWESOME!  (Read 16025 times)

Offline beefbud

• just some flesh caught in this big broken machine"
    • cubster dot com
From Atripla to Truvada/Isentress...AWESOME!
« on: December 10, 2009, 02:38:26 am »
Hello,
I battled switching Atripla to something else.  I was of the mindset that its working so don't mess with it until finally enough was enough   Met with my doc and was actually expecting a switch from Atripla to Truvada, Reyataz, Norivir but my ID suggested Isentress and Truvada.

BEST SWITCH I COULD HAVE DONE!
I knew I was having serious side effects from Atripla but thought they mostly occurred within the 4 hour window of taking the pill...not so...it was effecting me all day long every day and up until I stopped taking it did I realze how much better I felt off of it.  Friends have actually made comment on how much happier i seem to be now, some knew of the switch, most did not.

The new combo has had NO side effects at all with the only downside being its a twice a day combo not just once (Isentress that is.)  Adherence isn't really an issue for me, its just another pill.

New labs came back and show that VL is still UD so all appear to be working as it should be...its nice to not have that fucked up feeling of Atripla anymore.
"first impressions are cheap auditions"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Re: From Atripla to Truvada/Isentress...AWESOME!
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2009, 04:09:14 am »
Amen!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline AboutToStart

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2009, 08:21:44 pm »
beef - you're giving hope to all of us!! How long were you on atripla b4 switching? was it your first line med?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 09:45:23 pm »
Beef,

I had a similiar experience when I switched from Atripla to Truvad/Nor/Prezista. The doc wanted to switch me because she thought I wasnt going UD quick enough. I balked and really wanted to stay on Atripla. However in the end I switched and am amazed at how much better Tru/Nor/Prez is for me. Zero side effects compared to Atripla where I had the drunk/dizzy feeling 4 hours a day, they werent that bad for me, more of a nuisance, but I am glad they are gone now!

I don't want to be an Atripla basher, But I am SO glad I am not on it anymore (jsut my experience).

-Will
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:47:56 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline beefbud

• cubster dot com
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 08:32:48 am »
Hi all!
@abouttostart   I was on Atripla for 8 months and yes it was my first line of treatment.
@Willy  I agree, not meaning to bash Atripla as it works wonders for many many people!  Unfortunately the side effects were just too much for me to deal with.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 08:34:24 am by beefbud »

Offline WildcatCC

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 12:47:30 pm »
Beef, thanks for this post. This is indeed the same decision I am currently grappling with. I'm not going to UD fast enough and it appears Atripla is not strong enough for me. My original combo of Pres/Truv/Nor left me with side effects I could not deal with.

I think I will be making the switch after the first of the year. One more set of labs to review before the final decision.

Thanks for your inspiration. 
Apr  08 - Diagnosed
Apr  08  cd4 8, vl 150k
Meds: Prezista/Norvir/Truvada
June 08 cd4 250, vl 1600
Aug  08 cd4 275, vl 450
Meds: Atripla
Nov  08  cd4  386, vl 255
Jan   09  cd4  415, vl 2100 (spike?)
Feb   09  cd4 460, vl 212
May   09  cd4 515, vl 1200
Aug   09  cd4 717, vl 1535 % 23
Sept  09  cd4 535  vl 1710 % 18
Oct   09  genotype shows mutation. Discussing w/ ID Doc
Nov  09   cd4 480  vl 650   % 19
Dec  09 genotype slight mutation to Epivir and Retrovir
Jan 10   cd4 508 vl 250 (21%)  low vitamin d - on supplement 2000 iu/day
Mar 15 Change to Isentress and Truvada
May 5 cd4 498 vl 1485
June 16 cd4 550 vl undect!!!! (finally dammit)

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2009, 02:46:06 pm »
Beefbud:

I am also on Isentress + Truvada. Glad it's working out! It means a lot that your friends notice the change.

-Steven (aka  8) megasept)

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 12:01:52 am »
I was on Atripla for 9 months as my first line treatment and it was horrible. I believe that it should never be offered as a first line. It's dose is too high and toxic that what the cns side effects are from is the dose is too high.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline bufguy

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 09:15:12 am »
I was on Atripla for 9 months as my first line treatment and it was horrible. I believe that it should never be offered as a first line. It's dose is too high and toxic that what the cns side effects are from is the dose is too high.

Some people do have side effects, I did for 1 week, but for the last 18 months its been great. For the vast majority Atripla works great. It is not necessarily more toxic than other meds and its once a day dosing makes adherence a no brainer. Its components are also proven over many years....Sustiva and Truvada.
I'm saying this because reading all the issues people bring to this forum scared me. What I've found is that most don't have them. People don't generally write in to a forum with no problems. Stating it shouldn't be offered as a first line treatment is just wrong.
5/29/08 confirmed HIV+
6/23/08 Vl 47500  CD4 511/29% CD8 .60
start atripla
8/1/08 Vl 130  CD4 667/31% CD8 .70
9/18/08 Vl un  CD4 not tested
12/19/08 Vl un CD4 723/32% CD8 .80
4/3/09 Vl un CD4 615/36% CD8  .98
8/7/09 vl un CD4 689/35% CD8 .9
12/11/09 vl un CD4 712/38% CD8 .89
4/9/10 vl un CD4 796/39% CD8 1.0
8/20/10 vl un CD4 787/38% CD8 1.0
4/6/10 vl un CD4 865/35% CD8 .9
8/16/10 vl un CD4 924/37% CD8 1.0
12/23/10 vl un CD4 1006/35% CD8 .9
5/2/10 vl un CD4 1040/39% CD8 .9
8/7/13 vl un CD4 840/39% CD8 .
11/29/18 vl un CD4 1080/39% CD8  .86

Offline antibody

• "every man thinks his burden is the heaviest"
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 11:24:50 pm »
that is just my opinion. the drug is horrible. I have no problems saying it should not be offered as first line. agree or don't you will not change my opinion. I've taken this drug and experienced it's horrid side effects.
Timbuk      <50/ 794  CD4 10/06 
                 <50/ 1096 CD4 3/07
                 <40/ 1854 CD4 4/09

Started Atripla  7/14/06
Switched to boosted Reyataz Truvada 3/28/07

*Ask me about Medical Marijuana and how it can help you!*

Offline buffaloboy

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 07:52:41 am »
After postponing and postponing starting treatment I eventually caved in and started Atripla.  After nearly three weeks of feeling like a zombie I had to stop. Shamefully, my doctor didn't even have a conversation with me about the CNS side effects. I can honestly say it was the worst experience of my entire life and has made me even more wary of taking any other HIV drugs.

I find it hard to believe that it's a first line treatment given that it's central nervous system side effects are so widely experienced.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 09:14:18 am »

Stating it shouldn't be offered as a first line treatment is just wrong.

I have long wondered why it (the Sustiva component in Atripla) is offered as first-line too. I think at the very least, patients should be better vetted for a history of depression and more closely monitored when they do start. If there are CNS problems, they should be switched without fuss. I say this from a standpoint of watching far too many suffer unnecessary Sustiva side-effects with little or no help from their doctors.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2010, 09:40:42 am »
Of course your doctor should vet you for depression issues and advise you of possible CNS factors.  I went on sustiva a decade ago and even then my doctor did this, so if your doctor didn't do it in the year 2009 I really don't know what to say, other than that would be a huge flashing red light for me.

As far as I'm concerned Reyataz should be the preferred treatment at the moment, not Sustiva based Atripla, but they do the later because of the dosing.  For some reason everyone now thinks once a day dosing is the end all be all, but I think it's retarded.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:42:32 am by Miss Philicia »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Pozibilities

Re: From Atripla to Truvada/Isentress...-Side Effects
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2010, 06:19:09 pm »
EDIT-I moved my question to another area.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 02:03:57 am by Pozibilities »

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 12:30:34 pm »
Well after five years on Atripla I have decided to stop and start a new regimen with Isentress and Truvada.

I had sleep issues with Atripla and could not shake them. I then started taking the drug during the day and found an increased sense of anxiety and felt my mind to be racing due to the anxiety. I also felt foggy at times.

I hope this will be a good switch for me. I just started my new combo today and will report back with any problems or success the new combo may bring. Wish me luck.
Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline Pozibilities

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2010, 12:32:42 pm »
Good luck with it! I made the switch this past Sunday and am hoping for the best.

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2010, 05:04:46 pm »
Food increases efavirenz absorption and therefore may produce increased CNS side effects.
CNS side effects are extremely boring, but (unfortunately) which meds have no side effects ?
It is as such important to take efavirenz on an empty stomach before giving up with it to switch to something else.
Just saying.

Offline MYSTERY

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2010, 06:52:44 pm »
John2038,

I took the medication before I went to sleep for years. Because of the fact that I woke up just after a few hours of sleep I tried Ambien and some other sleep aids. I hated Ambien and it made me feel depressed and after awhile I felt like it made me have amnesia. So, I stopped taking the meds before I went to sleep and changed my dosing time to 11 am, and I had nothing to eat for at least 14 hours before dosing.

I thought this would take care of the sleep problem but it didn't. I also felt more anxiety throughout the day and felt more depressed. I also on some days felt like a zombie and would forget things with a fuzzy brain feeling. Not good.

I was on Atripla for just over 5 years and decided enough is enough and made the switch to Isentress and Truvada. In time we will see if it was a good change. If not, I will change to something that works better.

For years I was under the impression if the Atripla worked well for me as far as controlling my virus I should stick with it, but after awhile my quality of life was affected and I decided that none of us know how much time we have, so I decided to try and change the quality of my life.

From the forum, I read about allot of people that were happy with the change from Atripla to Isentress/Truvada so I decided to give it a chance, and it is now considered a first line treatment.

God knows I tried everything I could to make Atripla work short of standing on my head before taking it, and I am not going to stand on my head... ;D

Atheist don't believe in GOD, but GOD believes in them and loves them. Never let the failure of man conflict with your love of GOD.

Offline John2038

• Happiness is a journey, not a destination.
    • HIV Research News (Twitter)
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 08:28:25 pm »
MYSTERY

there are no reasons to not do the switch. In more, you have provided excellent reasons, especially after 5 years on Sustiva.

This study could maybe interest you also:
http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/170/1/57

For those suffering from the horrible side effects of Sustiva, just try first to take it at least a week on an empty stomach and see if things improve.

It has for me. As far as I remember, the Sustiva level in the blood is increased by 78% with food (and something like 36% for viread), no matter if it is fatty or not.

Just sharing.

Offline waldo59

• "you wanta put what.....where"
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 08:48:36 pm »
Ditto on all for me too. Based on what I read on this forum. I was keen to switch from atripla to truvada issentres. My doc agreed and all I can say is wow. I never realized what a haze that sustiva had me in

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 09:21:31 pm »
I've been increasingly depressed lately (which is unlike me) but didn't think it might be the Sustiva until I read these posts...will talk to my doctor about this during my next visit...

Offline beefbud

• cubster dot com
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2010, 08:10:13 pm »
MYSTERY

there are no reasons to not do the switch. In more, you have provided excellent reasons, especially after 5 years on Sustiva.

This study could maybe interest you also:
http://archinte.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/170/1/57

For those suffering from the horrible side effects of Sustiva, just try first to take it at least a week on an empty stomach and see if things improve.

It has for me. As far as I remember, the Sustiva level in the blood is increased by 78% with food (and something like 36% for viread), no matter if it is fatty or not.

Just sharing.

Hi John,
Just for the record I tried everything I could to determine what was causing it.
I tried it with my stomach grumbling (hunger pangs) no difference
I tried it with food...no difference
I tried to take it right before going to sleep....dreams way too fucked up.
The lapses in short term memory were SCARY! 
The only time I didn't get that fucked up feeling was when I had a good booze buzz going on before "dropping" (yeah to me its like taking acid) the pill.

Believe me, I tried to determine what it was that set it off and just couldn't pinpoint it...enough was enough for me.
The difference in me after being off of it is night and day.

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 11:20:49 pm »
John2038,
I was on Atripla for just over 5 years and decided enough is enough and made the switch to Isentress and Truvada. In time we will see if it was a good change. If not, I will change to something that works better.

Mystery

Any update on the switch? My doctor never mentioned other meds to me because I was a candidate for Atripla. If the fogginess goes away, I too would be interested in switching at some point even if it means having to take more than one pill each day...

Offline Billy B

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2010, 10:15:20 am »
Mystery

Any update on the switch? My doctor never mentioned other meds to me because I was a candidate for Atripla. If the fogginess goes away, I too would be interested in switching at some point even if it means having to take more than one pill each day...

Hello Elzorro- I made the switch after only a few weeks because the Atripla was so nasty. No side effects from I&T except some bad gas if I eat mexican food. Several of my + friends have also switched after they saw what a difference there was between the two treatment options concerning my mental health.
Peace,
Billy
VL 4420 CD4 340 CD4% 24   3/15/10 Started I&T
VL  UD   CD4 340 CD4% 26.5 05/13/10
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.1 08/3/10
VL  UD   CD4 310 CD4% 28.4 11/22/10
VL  UD   CD4 420 CD4% 27.9 02/11/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 26.4 06/08/11
VL  UD   CD4 360 CD4% 27.7 09/23/11
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.3 01/20/12
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 28.8 05/11/12
VL  UD   CD4 370 CD4% 28.1 09/07/12
VL  UD   CD4 390 CD4% 32.3 03/14/13
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 29.8 09/10/13
VL  UD   CD4 430 CD4% 31.0 04/29/14
VL  UD   CD4 520 CD4% 34.8 11/05/15
VL  UD   CD4 440 CD4% 33.5 03/10/15
VL  UD   CD4 450 CD4% 30.5 08/23/16
VL  UD   CD4 510 CD4% 34.0 07/21/20  (Biktarvy)

Offline ElZorro

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2010, 10:30:16 am »
Thanks so much for the reply, Billy!!! It really means the world to me. My doctor and I never talked about any other meds than Atripla and I didn't think I was experiencing side effects. Now, I suspect I have been and writing it off to stress or depression...

I have to admit, that now, I'm in a quandry. I have responded very well to Atripla but I know my mind is "different". I'm a software consultant and design systems and just feel like I can't concentrate and follow things like I used to. I didn't realize it before, but it sounds like this may be a side effect from Atripla. Also, I have noticed myself being a little short tempered from time to time (not constantly grouchy; just "off" and not usual lovable self).

I see my doctor in July and I guess I'm going to have to have this conversation.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 10:32:52 am by ElZorro »

Offline Billy B

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2010, 04:51:20 pm »
Thanks so much for the reply, Billy!!! It really means the world to me. My doctor and I never talked about any other meds than Atripla and I didn't think I was experiencing side effects. Now, I suspect I have been and writing it off to stress or depression...

I have to admit, that now, I'm in a quandry. I have responded very well to Atripla but I know my mind is "different". I'm a software consultant and design systems and just feel like I can't concentrate and follow things like I used to. I didn't realize it before, but it sounds like this may be a side effect from Atripla. Also, I have noticed myself being a little short tempered from time to time (not constantly grouchy; just "off" and not usual lovable self).

I see my doctor in July and I guess I'm going to have to have this conversation.

I was an evil bitch on the Atripla! Your body is already accustomed to the Truvada so you will just be getting rid of the Sustiva and adding the Isentress. My ID Specialist is now starting all treatment naive patients on Isentress & Tuvada because it is so easy on the mind and body. Peace,
Billy

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2010, 01:11:15 pm »
 What are you guys talking about?  Are you switching from Atripla to other drug?  Wow, I never thought of changing this med.  I believe this drug did a lot to me.  It even cured me from other disturbances I had through out my life before.  I think it is because of this drug now I am okay from such diseases as Harpies simplex, hemorrhoids, pneumonia etc... Since after I started taking this med like nine months ago my CD grows substantially and my VL drops to UD.  So, what would I need else?  Regarding the side effects, I don't know what kind of side effects you are talking.  Take it during bed time after eating your lunch two hours earlier.  All the bad stuffs will be vanishing during sleeping. May be you don't adher to the prescription as to the med should be taken. The only side effect is I don't know my be its COST. It is damn expensive.  Are other meds expensive like Atripla.  :'(
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 01:15:22 pm by metekrop »
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2010, 01:50:01 pm »
Meketrop
Sustiva/Stocrin a component of Atripla is known to cause various freak outs and unpleasant side effects in some people.  Just because you are among the many people who do well on Atripla does not mean that the minority who can't handle it well are doing something wrong in their treatment.  The chemical doesn't play nice with some people.  End of story.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline sam66

• Keep The Faith ; Fight The Fight
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2010, 05:59:54 am »
Hi all

What are the side effects of Isentress. Does anyone know the relative costs of Atripla and Isentress/Truvada in UK.  ( cost to the NHS ) I ask this because if I did want to switch I,m sure cost will a factor on the NHS

Sam
december 2007 diagnosed +ve ,

Offline scotti2427

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2010, 12:31:41 pm »
Hi Sam,

I just switched from Atripla to Truvada/Isentress and am in the UK also.

The consultant took a little convincing, once I explained how much the side effects were bothering me on Atripla and that I really wanted the Isentress she agreed to the switch.

Will take a while for the Sustiva to get out of the system but I cant wait to get rid of those nasty Atripla side effects.

Scott

Offline Billy B

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2010, 01:17:51 pm »
Hi Sam,

I just switched from Atripla to Truvada/Isentress and am in the UK also.

The consultant took a little convincing, once I explained how much the side effects were bothering me on Atripla and that I really wanted the Isentress she agreed to the switch.

Will take a while for the Sustiva to get out of the system but I cant wait to get rid of those nasty Atripla side effects.

Scott

Hello Scott- It took about a week to get the Sustiva out of my body. Under my ID specialist directions, I took only Truvada during that week and then on the fifth day started the Isentress & Truvada in the AM and then the single Isentress in the PM.
Billy

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.