Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:09:33 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 340
Total: 341

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Eating with Atripla.  (Read 14480 times)

Offline Matthew

• Livin' the fullest life possible!
Eating with Atripla.
« on: November 25, 2007, 02:58:29 pm »
Hi,
I am new to posting on this board, but I have been on it reading since my diagnosis 2 years ago.

I started Atripla about 1 week ago, and I was wondering if everyone who takes it on here avoids food for 2 hours prior? Is it necessary for absorption, or to limit side effects?

Thanks.
It is worth reminding ourselves that what brings us the greatest joy and satisfaction in life are those actions we undertake out of concern for others.

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: Eating with Atripla.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 05:24:51 pm »
Welcome

Side effects

Food don't affect how the drug works against the virus

- matt

PS - good name  :)
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline PJC0510

• Life is worth living, so live it while you have it
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2007, 10:22:08 am »
Hello Matt!

I started Atripla 2 weeks ago today and have found out that taking the pill about an 1 1/2 hour after I eat and about an hour prior to bedtime cuts down on the woozy feeling I was having.

I feel a little woozy should I need to get up in the middle of the night for thwe bathroom.  But by the time I get to work I feel fine!

Good luck to to you!

Peace Love and Happiness!

Peter!
I may never beat HIV, but then again, it will NEVER beat me!

Offline vokz

• efavirenz junkie
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 02:31:18 am »
Food certainly wont limit how the drugs work; but eating (especially fatty meals) in the couple of hours before you take your Atripla is likely to elevate the level of the Sustiva element of your Atripla to way above the necessary therapeutic levels and thus exaggerate the side effects (especially that woozy / drunk / high feeling).

During the first month, or so, you are almost certainly going to feel woozy no matter what you do; but in the longer term you will probably find that you only feel that way when you don’t avoid food in those couple of hours before you take your meds.

Offline Atripla_User

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 11:13:42 am »
i eat ice cream, or pizza or whatever i want before bedtime if i am hungry and then i take my atripla, for a year now, with splendid results, once you get used to it, you should be fine, see what works for you. !!!

Offline strykern

• Oh. I see...
    • Strykern Journey
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 06:15:31 pm »
Hi,
I am new to posting on this board, but I have been on it reading since my diagnosis 2 years ago.

I started Atripla about 1 week ago, and I was wondering if everyone who takes it on here avoids food for 2 hours prior? Is it necessary for absorption, or to limit side effects?

Thanks.

Hey Matthew, I am 3 weeks into Atripla and the first two weeks, I had to struggle to eat due to the foul, metallic taste in my mouth that started after the metal moved out of my head  :P - I personally avoid food after about 7:30 and take it at 9:00 every night and crash/sleep about 10:30.  Up at 5:30 and really hungry but I have felt really good since about day 14.  It was almost like a light switch.  Ok... 3 weeks in is no expert but optimistic here for us both!
It is what it is...

I am what I am...

Offline MIPOZ

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 01:57:23 pm »
I agree, I have been taking Atripla for about a year & I have no ill effects what so eve. Great Medication

Offline mplsdoubled

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 08:41:23 am »
Have been on it for a month and now I don't worry about when I eat - it doesn't seem to effect me and I have no side effects.  No wooziness, no "stoned" feeling, no problems.

Good luck.

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 10:07:06 am »
A little drunkennes from Atripla a few hours after I take it, if I am still awake,  But nothing that is a real bother.  Eat, drink and be merry.

Offline mrtallguy

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2008, 07:47:53 am »
Hey Mathew,

Atripla was the first combo I took for a year.  I took it at night and it kept me awake....very sensitive sleeper here.  So I switched to a morning dose which helped my sleep but I had to stay away from any fatty foods for 4 hours after I took it.  One day I took the Atripla around 7am and around 10am at work I started munching on some pistachios....an hour later I got this insane "high" which was so bad I almost went to the ER.  After posting a link on the forums I found out that fatty foods increase the absorbtion rate of anything in your system.   As you can see most people report great results with Atripla....I eventually switched off of it due to the return of sleep issues and I could not work during the day with the high sensation. 

Every med effects each of us differently so if it works for you....be grateful and don't mess with it.   Just know that there are many options and if this does not work....it is not cause for alarm....you just have to find what works for YOU!   I switched to Truvada/Reyataz/Norvir combo it works great.

Thanks for being a part of this great forum!

Craig
I AM DETERMINED TO SEE THINGS DIFFERENTLY!
--ACIM

Offline BreakerOneNine

• Myspace
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 09:10:08 pm »
I have been on Atripla for a couple months and I had to move my dose to a 10am dose because it was affecting my sleep...now I really have no problems at all...I also dont eat 2 hours before or prior to taking it....I have breakfast at 8, my pill at 10 and lunch around 12 or 1....I for some reason like the daytime dose better.
poz 96 and med free til now.
Sept 2007 cd4 280 28.37% and VL 19,200
Nov 2007 cd4 230 25.87% and VL 38,000
Dec 2007 start Atripla
Jan 2008 cd4 490 32.5% and VL 119
Feb 2008 cd4 450 28.4% and VL less than 50
April 2008 cd4 510 28.6% and VL less than 48
July 2008 cd4 570 30.2% and VL less than 48
Dec 2008 cd4 570 32.0% and VL less than 48

Offline LordBerners

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2008, 09:52:16 am »
I just recently tried Atripla for about a week and though I did have very little sleep, that was nothing compared to the primary difficulty - I couldn't eat anything.  I lost all appetite, and even to force feed myself was very difficult, as food seemed to have the texture of cardboard, and seemed to have disgusting flavors.  Also I found it extremely difficult to swallow, and could only do so by making a sort of pill of the food and swallowing with ice water.  I lost 12 pounds in a week. 

Thankfully now I'm off the Sustiva, which was apparentely causing this, and will soon drop the meds entirely.
Please, just call me Berners.. or Baron.

Offline kennyboi

• Have a laugh or at least a smile!!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 11:47:23 am »
Matthew,

I've been on Atripla for just over a year and a half.  It is recommended to avoid foods with a high fat content for two hours before/after taking the drug due to increased absorption which aren't harmful but increase the side effects like dizziness or feeling "woozy".  I have definitely found this to be the case.  These effects are related to the Sustiva component (efavirenz) in the combo.  In addition, if I eat and then go to bed I get some of the most bizzare dreams.  Not horrible, just weird.  Like many of the other posts, I try to take the drug and get to sleep within an hour to an hour and a half because I don't care for the buzzed feeling from it.

Peace,

Ken  :)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.