Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:39:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 485
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 487
Total: 487

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Testosterone therapy  (Read 18173 times)

Offline wolfter

Re: Testosterone therapy
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 05:07:34 pm »
Indeed my dear Wolfmeister, they do! Can't you tell?

And if you think I'm a nasty vile person you should have seen me when I had deca injections in my butt cheeks for four years. Though eventually tamed the beast with handfuls of klonnie.

ps: and once I gained the weight back I have to say even though I was on 1/4 of the stuff this other guy is on my body looked four times as muscular.

OH HELL NO, I wouldn't want to witness that.  A lifetime ban is a LONG time. ;D

I'm the other end of the gay spectrum, my focus has always been on staying lean and trim.  I don't want no bulging muscles, I want my partner to be able to easily flip me all over the place.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:09:41 pm by wolfter »
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

MilburnCreek

« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 05:09:23 pm »
Girl, you are quite the rebel. Bet you jaywalk and remove the tag off your mattress under penalty of law.

ROFLMAO!

GUILTY AS CHARGED!!!!

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2013, 05:12:14 pm »

I'm the other end of the gay spectrum, my focus has always been on staying lean and trim.  I don't want no bulging muscles, I want my partner to be able to easily flip me all over the place.

It was actually a lean and muscular/cut look. Not that out of proportion, unappealing water-bloated look.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline buginme2

« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2013, 05:34:22 pm »
At my last HIV appointment my doctor said he was going to add the testosterone test at my next blood draw (In March 2013).  He has never tested me for it before however I have been having some fatigue issues and this feeling of just.....blah.  After trying a couple different antidepressants with zero help, he said he was going to test the testosterone level.

After reading this thread, god I am hoping they are in the normal range.  Kinda nervous about it now. 

Side note, we also discussed ditching Atripla if there is no other reason discovered for the fatigue.  Waiting and seeing.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Iggy

« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2013, 05:35:20 pm »
I'm revisiting this issue myself.

I started using testim about 2-3 years ago for below normal levels of testosterone which I asked to be tested based off of energy (sleep 8-9 hours and still be really tired in the day).

After a few years I'm not sure that there has been that much of an effect/change.   

I see my new doctor at the end of the month and plan to revisit the issue.   It's never been debilitating (lack of energy), and willing to try going off it for a while (under md supervision - mainly to test levels) for the a while to see if it is even worth the co-pay.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2013, 06:11:02 pm »
btw, I'm quite sure my years of testosterone injections caused me to have high blood pressure and take medicine for same by the age of 40. Good times.

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2013, 11:05:58 pm »
Is this a Southern thing? I've not seen this either in Philly or the DC area. Do you folks swing by the Pill Palace on your Medicare scooters afterwards for some Oxy?

It's not just a Southern thing.  Testosterone replacement is increasingly seen as a competitive advantage, beyond the realm of just sports.  For example, the financial markets industry:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/68015bb2-51b8-11e1-a99d-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2Hv1eZWCx
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2013, 11:14:50 pm »
It's not just a Southern thing.  Testosterone replacement is increasingly seen as a competitive advantage, beyond the realm of just sports.  For example, the financial markets industry:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/68015bb2-51b8-11e1-a99d-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2Hv1eZWCx

No, that's not what I meant. I meant doctors putting up billboards for it, as in that's all of their business that they do.

ps: your link is only for registered users

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2013, 11:32:05 pm »
No, that's not what I meant. I meant doctors putting up billboards for it, as in that's all of their business that they do.

ps: your link is only for registered users

I haven't seen any billboards here in Austin.  Billboards or not, though, it's not hard to imagine unscrupulous doctors building a practice on this.

Sorry about the link -- the damn Financial Times thinks their content is so special.  Here is another article that is a good summary.

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-02-09/wall_street/31040591_1_testosterone-therapy-hormone-therapy-financial-crisis

Hmmm... look at this clinic in Austin:

http://www.agelessmenshealth.com/locations/austin-testosterone-replacement-therapy-clinic/

Oh, wait, they have location in several states, including New York -- Midtown and Wall Street locations, not surprisingly.  65 Broad St, Suite 1804.

http://www.agelessmenshealth.com/locations/newyork-testosterone-replacement-therapy-clinic/
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2013, 11:34:03 pm »
There are a couple of clinics in the Atlanta area that advertise in the gay rags for testosterone therapy. They often also do Botox and other cosmetic things.

Can't say that I was never tempted, in my club and AIDS activism days, when my costume of choice was a spandex unitard and cape, to juice. I am grateful beyond words that the opportunity never presented itself when I was vulnerable to that. I've seen firsthand the results when someone is juicing, and  have seen the results when they finally stop. The former tends to create a beautiful outside and a monstrous inside; the latter does the reverse.

IMHO it's just one step on the destructive level down from Crystal Meth.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline mikeyb39

« Reply #60 on: January 14, 2013, 12:25:50 am »
Well thanks guys for all the info, its really good to hear the pros and cons.  i dont think im going to bring it up again to my doc anytime soon.  Althouugh i do have HUGE low hanging testicles that i wouldnt mind making little smaller.  its so hard to adjust sometimes..

Miss P, yes there is quite a few clinics for  testosterone clinics here in dallas in all the gay rags....its the going thing here it seems

i think i willl do without for a while longer anyyways.
11/02/2010  cd4-251, vl-591000
12/09/2010  started Atripla
02/18/2011  cd4-425, vl-800
06/10/2011  cd4-447, vl-70
10/10/2011  cd4-666, vl-80
01/05/2012  swiched med (prezista,norvir ,isentress, )
02/10/2012  cd4-733, vl-UD  Viread removed
06/10/2012  cd4-614, vl-UD
12/14/2012  cd4-764, vl-UD
09/01/2013  cd4-785, vl-UD
03/06/2014. cd4- 1078, VL-UD
09/05/2014  cd4-850 , VL-UD
09/05/2014 switched meds isentress, prezcobix -still only two antivirals
10/14/2015  cd4-600 , VL-UD

Offline Iggy

« Reply #61 on: January 14, 2013, 06:46:53 am »
Charlotte's started getting those billboards about a year ago.  I've seen them on both I-77 coming into the city from the North and off of South Boulevard.The company behind them is ReNEW Man (yes - caps like that). 

I googled e to see if I could find any of the billboard images, but only found several  "do it for her" type things.   The one in Charlotte is has a huge black and white picture of guy's chiseled torso with six pack. 

I don't remember any mention of of "her" in our billboard, but then again, I may not have been reading the print portion of it either  ::)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 06:49:57 am by Iggy »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #62 on: January 14, 2013, 04:57:19 pm »
Is this a Southern thing? Do you folks swing by the Pill Palace on your Medicare scooters afterwards for some Oxy?

Yes... we do, and sometimes we bring a friend...

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:01:08 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

MilburnCreek

« Reply #63 on: January 14, 2013, 09:50:13 pm »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.