Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:10:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 458
Total: 458

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Aging may beat the alternative, but it still sucks.......  (Read 10577 times)

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
Aging may beat the alternative, but it still sucks.......
« on: November 25, 2012, 10:09:39 pm »
OK -- so maybe age had nothing to do with it.  Was walking, backwards, down our steps when I missed the last two.  Went stumbling into the living room -- when I landed, it was all on my right big toe.  I may have just lost over 17 lbs, but that is still alot of weight on one single toe.  It bent as I landed and tore the skin where the nail meets the toe.  Blood gushed (and I mean GUSHED) out -- I was so worried about bleeding on the carpet, that I jumped into the kitchen (not the smartest move ever).  Slid a bit and whacked the toe again. 
So........................  broken toe!  The doc said I needed to go to an ortho because the open wound complicates things.  If I get an infection, it could get into the fracture....  blah, blah, blah.  Well, I no longer need to worry about how I'm going to spend the rest of the money in Flexible Spending Acct by end of year.
On hydro-codone for the pain and antibiotics to avoid infection.
Thankfully I got most of Christmas shopping done this weekend.

Mike

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: Aging may beat the alternative, but it still sucks.......
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 10:15:24 pm »
.  Was walking, backwards, down our steps

uh... why?

Sweetums, you are not a 16yo ballerina anymore, so please cut the shenanigans out.

I'm really sorry about your toe, that's got to hurt like the dickens, I scream bloody hell whenever I stub my toes. Get well soon.

-W

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline bocker3

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 10:22:32 pm »
uh... why?

Sweetums, you are not a 16yo ballerina anymore, so please cut the shenanigans out.

Well, we have a split level house and I walked up 3 steps (half way -ish) to toss something up toward the bedroom.  Instead of turning around, I just stepped down the 1 step I thought I had climbed -- unfortunately there were 2 more.
Truth be told, I was being piss-y at Sid -- he left his shoes in the middle of the floor (again....) and I was flinging them upstairs to him, while being not too nice about it.  Guess karma bit my ass............  Although, in my defense, I hadn't had my coffee yet -- I can be a bit grumpy until I do.

Good thing I read that ballerina crack before bed and not in the morning -- before coffee.   ;)

M

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 10:24:50 pm »

piss-y at Sid -- he left his shoes in the middle of the floor (again....) and I was flinging them upstairs to him, while being not too nice about it. 

Then you broke your toe. I guess you showed him!!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline wolfter

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 11:07:41 pm »
You sure are breaking a lot of bones lately.  Sorry to hear of it yet again.  I'd have told Sid I tripped on his shoes and played it for all it's worth. ;D

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 07:25:53 am »

Guess karma bit my ass............ 

Um, no, it bit your toe.

Ouch. Hope you heal quickly - and I hope you taught Sid a lesson about where to leave his shoes. After all, you ARE going to make him wait on you hand and toe foot while you're healing, right? ;D
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline bocker3

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 07:38:59 am »
Yes -- I do plan on being waited on for a while.........   ;)

I do, however, think the universe is paying me back for something with this toe.  The pain drugs were doing just fine last night -- thought the weight of the covers might be painful, but they weren't.  Then, in the middle of the night, Charlie (our cat) decided he wanted to sleep with his daddies.....  so he jumped on the bed --- landing square on my FUCKING TOE.  This cat flew back down the stairs when he heard me bellow -- scared the crap out of Sid too.
That is soooo not a good way to be woken up out of a sound sleep.

Ah well -- off to work.  Will make my Ortho appt later, hopefully can get in tomorrow morning (today is the only day all week, that I HAVE to be in the office -- end of year performance mgmt "stuff" and I have to be sure that my direct reports get properly represented).

Mike

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 01:56:29 pm »
Hmmmm, This story doesn't make sense to me.  I bet he got his toe caught in a sunroof.  Much more likely.

Hope everything heals quickly and with minimal pain!

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 02:15:34 pm »
Hmmmm, This story doesn't make sense to me.  I bet he got his toe caught in a sunroof.  Much more likely.

I was going to suggest that perhaps his toe got whacked by a ceiling fan.   ;)   Or he was re-enacting the intro to the Dick Van Dyke show, and something went horribly wrong.

I hope your toe heals quickly, Mike.  Happy Holidays!
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 05:53:54 pm »

Mike,

Does it really hurt bad?  My dad use to say breaking the big toe is the most painful bone to break, dunno why though.  Having broken both a toe and collarbone myself, I think the latter is much more painful. 

By the way, I believe your story from start to finish.  My wife leaves crap around and it gets under my skin too.

Hope you feel better.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 06:59:49 pm »
  Or he was re-enacting the intro to the Dick Van Dyke show, and something went horribly wrong.

LMAO ;D
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 07:38:55 pm »
Hope you start feeling better soon.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Jody

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 09:48:50 pm »
Sorry to hear of your painful injury Mike.  Hoping for a speedy recovery buddy.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline bocker3

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2012, 10:20:25 pm »
Ok -- here it is.... 

And Skeebo -- Yes, it hurts like a motherf&%*er.  Don't know if it is worse than a collar bone, cuz I ain't broke that yet, but it hurts a lot more than a wrist!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2012, 10:38:09 pm »
Sheot, it's broken alright.  I did that as a teenager and still remember being grossed out when the nail came off. 

Sending you positive wishes.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2012, 10:41:59 pm »

Stop projecting your experiences on me ---  I burn far too easily to be in a compromising position with the sunroof open!!     :o

Or he was re-enacting the intro to the Dick Van Dyke show, and something went horribly wrong.

Well, this could happen -- Sid does have far too many ottomans and I never know when one might turn up in a new spot........

M

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2012, 03:05:21 pm »

Oh HOLY shit. That pains me just to look at it. Geez Mike.

PS- but you do have some cute Barney Rubble toes.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2012, 04:06:06 pm »
That looks dreadful. :(
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline bocker3

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 05:05:38 pm »
PS- but you do have some cute Barney Rubble toes.

I am not sure how to respond to this.............   Have you gone cold turkey from your high fat diet?? ;)

That looks dreadful. :(

The sad part is -- it hurts even worse than it looks.....  thankfully I have my drugs to let me sleep. 

M

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 05:31:46 pm »
Ok -- here it is.... 

And Skeebo -- Yes, it hurts like a motherf&%*er.  Don't know if it is worse than a collar bone, cuz I ain't broke that yet, but it hurts a lot more than a wrist!

You ought to get that photo printed up on a bunch of business-card sized pieces of paper that you can tape to things Sid leaves lying around in the middle of the floor. I'm sometimes guilty myself of leaving things where they can be tripped over and that photo has cured me, that's for sure!

It sure looks freaking sore. Glad it's not my toe - but sorry it happened to you.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2012, 08:29:44 pm »
Ok -- here it is.... 

OUCH!!  That looks awful, but luckily, it takes attention away from those other hairy toes.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2012, 10:16:35 am »
Stop projecting your experiences on me ---  I burn far too easily to be in a compromising position with the sunroof open!!     :o

Don't you know anything?  You make out in cars at night!  Seriously hope you're already beginning to feel better but I guess it's probably too soon for all of that.

Offline bocker3

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2012, 10:12:47 pm »
Don't you know anything?  You make out in cars at night!  Seriously hope you're already beginning to feel better but I guess it's probably too soon for all of that.

Sorry, darling --- I need to see who I'm doing.  No bumping in the dark for me.

BTW -- the toe is feeling better -- still hurts, but I don't find myself grimacing quite as much.  I see the orthopedic doc tomorrow........

M

Offline Anqueetas

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2012, 11:58:43 pm »
OUCH!!!! That graphic and looks painful

Get well soon!
ARS, hospitalized for very high fever-July 2011
diagnosed HIV positive - October 16 2011
CD4 460 19.5% VL 49000 - late October 2011
CD4 625 19.5% VL 50030 - January 2012
CD4 369 19% VL 69000 - March 2012
Start Sustiva+ Truvada - April 17 2012
CD4 524 24.5% VL UD - August 22 2012
Switch to Nevirapine+Truvada
CD4 490 26% VL UD - November 2012
CD4 539 29% VL UD - February 2013
CD4 621 28% VL UD - May 2013

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2012, 02:46:07 am »
Wow, that looks just awful.  Hope you heal quickly and the pain doesn't last too long.  I stubbed my big toe a few years ago and hurt bad--the nail fell off.  But, that was nothing compared to your pic.

Take care.  All I can picture is you accidentally hitting it on something, or someone or something stepping on it. 

Offline wolfter

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2012, 10:55:27 pm »
Did you manage to get to the doctor yet?  How is it coming along?

Offline bocker3

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2012, 11:33:47 pm »
Did you manage to get to the doctor yet?  How is it coming along?

I did see the doctor on Thursday afternoon.  He said that, because the nail pulled away, I technically have a compound fracture -- the outside has a path into the inside.  He said, however, things looked good and that he has never seen an infection develop with this sort of injury.  Given that I have been maniacal about keeping it covered and using Neosporin, plus I'm on 10 days of antibiotics, just in case -- I'd say I am good there.  He also said that, aside from going over on it again (which he strongly recommends avoiding), I can do whatever I can tolerate.  Even play tennis, he said -- although, he said that might go beyond what I can tolerate for a while.  I will say that it is feeling much better -- wore sneakers all day today and spent the day walking around Busch Gardens Williamsburg.  I suspect I'll be on the tennis court by next weekend.

So -- here is the latest pic -- SO MUCH BETTER:

Mike

Offline wolfter

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 12:22:25 am »
That's healing nicely.  I'll post some simple shoe box designs I've made.  With them, there's never an excuse for shoes to be laying around everywhere. 

If I remember correctly, it took about 6 weeks for my big toe to completely feel normal.  But I was able to do most activities within a couple of weeks.

Take care buddy

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2012, 12:21:59 pm »

It definitely looks like it feels better.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.