Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:18:21 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 688
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 659
Total: 659

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: 20 years old college student in NYC and tested poz  (Read 7483 times)

Offline leopoz93

20 years old college student in NYC and tested poz
« on: March 15, 2014, 09:20:18 am »
Hi you guys

Im a 20 year old college dude in NYC and i found out i was positive on March 3rd this year...its sorta weird and surreal to me being that i was my first HIV test ever...im waiting for ASC to file my ADAP application and for them to send my info to callen lorde. Still havent done blood work or genotype type testing.

Im very worried about medication and what will happen next in my life.

So if any of you guys can share anything please do i would really appreciate it

Offline xinyuan

Re: 20 years old college student in NYC and tested poz
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:51:19 am »
Sorry you need these forums, but glad you found us.

You are doing the right things. Establishing care and getting appropriate testing and treatment are very good first steps. There will be a lot of changes in your life. But hopefully all in a better direction.

I hope you find a doctor you like. S/he will test your viral load (VL) and CD4 and help you decide on the urgency of starting antiretroviral therapies (ART). S/he will also help you decide on the best treatment regimen.

While shingles is more frequent with HIV, it is not a defining opportunistic infection. However, its presence suggests greater urgency in measuring your CD4 along with the VL. http://www.aidsinfonet.org/fact_sheets/view/509

Remember to take things one day at a time. At less than 2 weeks from diagnosis, it is still a lot to absorb.

For me, it's been a whirlwind since my diagnosis in November. Finally undetectable (<20). And hope you get there, too.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:54:15 am by xinyuan »

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 12:09:55 pm »
Hey Leo,

As Xin says, sorry you need us but welcome to the community.

Being worried is a very natural reaction, and getting educated is a great way to put your worries at ease.  You should know that HIV is a very manageable disease now and you are going to be Ok and live a very normal life.

If you haven't seen this already, here are some lessons from this site that provide a good overview of treatment:

www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Introduction_4702.shtml

Medication was the one specific topic you noted -- is there something more specific that you would like to know?  In general, there are multiple meds that will keep your viral load down and with the current generation of meds very few people have side effects.  By all means let us know what your specific concerns or questions are and someone on here will be able to help.

Also, please don't let this slow you down in the short term or in the long term - you can and should live and enjoy life to its fullest.

Best,
JM
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD
??/??/2017 Descov & Tivicay
2017 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850
2018 VL UD, CD4 stable around 850

Offline Dan0

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 12:26:22 pm »

Im very worried about medication and what will happen next in my life.

Hi Leo - and welcome!

You'll find a lot of members on here that are 'twenty-somethings' to share your experiences with, lots of more 'seasoned' folks that will give you good sage advice and a compilation of information on these threads than you can't probably find anywhere else.  READ.  READ OFTEN.

Here is what will happen next in your life.  Not to downplay your situation because we've been there, but you will take a pill and honestly, not much will change.  You'll have some higher maintenance, have to think about things a bit more carefully and take care of yourself consistently but aside from this the life you wanted or expected pre-diagnosis is very much still the same life you can and will have!

You're in college so you're used to studying. You'll have to add one more course to your roster, however. That's learning about HIV, how it works and how it is treated.  This is the best place to start.  In the coming weeks you'll hear a lot of terms you've never heard before from your doctor, nurses, etc. Don't be afraid to ask questions and if you forget to ask, come on here and do a search.  I can almost guarantee someone along the lines has asked the same thing.

Lastly, don't think that there is some branding on you now.  There is no shame in this or anything that is going to mark you for life and separate you from it. Generally, most don't go around wearing sweatshirts with the big POZ sign on it. There is a fair amount of discretion like anything personal and how you handle that comes with time and acceptance.  I guarantee, you'll have a LOT of time.

Most colleges have some type of support group, if that's something you'd be interested in. If not, come on back here and read!  You'll find a lot of supportive people here that only want the best for you!
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline leopoz93

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 04:15:24 pm »
Hey you guys its me leo lol

Ummm tomorrow im going to gwt my bloodwork done and genotype testing...hopefully i will be assigned a doctor once my ADAP application is submitted

If there are any books that you guys can recommend me fiction or non fiction please do so or anythingfor adolescence

I want to knw a much i need to know and i think that will help me feel better

Offline Dan0

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 06:25:53 pm »
If you're referring to books on HIV, perhaps someone else would have some insight. I personally find them to be usually dry as dust.  Most of the information I get now....I get right here on this site from the menu bar on top. 

There are some very well written articles, testimonials and accounts. Particularly "Poz Stories".  Very insightful and you will certainly come away with the realization that you're not alone!
"Honey, you should never ask advice from a drunk drag queen who has a show to do." - JG

06/2002 DX
10/2006 Atripla UD
10/2013 Stribild Still UD
04/2016 Genvoya UD

Offline leopoz93

So today i got my ADAP application submitted
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 07:08:33 pm »
So today i finally got my ADAP application submitted...once i get my member # which i hope will be soon...im going str8 to callen lorde so i can get an appointment with a doctor...how long does it normally take though

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 07:21:50 pm »
Hi Leo ... Its good to hear you are making headway on getting into treatment so keep up the good work . Im sure someone will be along to answer your question shortly .

I merged you new thread into this, you didn't do anything wrong but it will help you and us if we can keep all your post in one spot about testing positive and getting into treatment . If its all in one place it its easer to see the progression on how things are working out and being addressed . You can still post elsewhere but its not necessary to start more than one thread on the same subject, thanks and best of luck .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline kevinazus

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 03:54:36 am »
Hi Leo, I tested positive 5 weeks ago and just started on meds - Stribild - a week ago.  Have had no side effects and can't even tell I'm taking it.  I went through all the applications for Ryan White and ADAP, and ultimately have not had to pay for any doctor visits or labs or anything.  I even got my first month of meds (which cost $2000) for free.  My caseworker says my insurance premiums and deductible will even paid by the county program.  Feel really lucky that these programs exist as I would never have been able to afford all of this on my own.  Hope all of that works out for you as well.  A book I recommend is "100 Questions & Answers About HIV and AIDS," by Joel Gallant, MD.  My caseworker gave me a copy and I found it really helpful.

Offline ShadesOfGrey80

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 01:11:46 pm »
Hi Leo,

I'm sure you've had to process a lot of information in the past 2 weeks. As everyone has said, you're following the right steps. Now it is important for you to learn more about this condition as this will ease a lot of the tension and anxiety you might experience. Besides reading just on the medical conditions, I found reading information written on the Newly Diagnosed section of the website has really helped me to think about things on not just a medical point of view, but also social, financial, etc. Besides this website, you should also check out http://www.thebody.com where you can also find some useful information as well.

Don't forget to reach out to your local AIDS/ HIV organizations for further information. Remember, knowledge is power! Read up!

I was tested Poz just before New Years Eve, it is now March and I have been on meds for 2weeks. So far it really hasn't disrupted my life. Remember to keep a positive outlook and it really helps speaking to people on here or meeting people in support groups to gain more insight.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.