Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 07:32:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773275
  • Total Topics: 66346
  • Online Today: 451
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 405
Total: 406

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Halloween  (Read 10227 times)

Offline wolfter

Halloween
« on: August 07, 2011, 10:01:33 pm »
I've put so much focus on our trip that I forgot we have just over 2 months to come up with the perfect costumes.  Usually by this point I already have an idea and start working on it.  What to be, what to be?  We should have some sort of contest. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: Halloween
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 11:40:07 pm »
I was actually working on my Halloween costume today, choosing some paints. I am doing a steampunk costume this year but have not yet finalized the design. I have an aviator concept with a rocket pack and ornithopter wings. I also have a more frightening steam-borg idea.  Here are some inspirational photos I pulled off the net. This first guy does amazing costumes.

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 12:33:27 am »
I was actually working on my Halloween costume today, choosing some paints. I am doing a steampunk costume this year but have not yet finalized the design. I have an aviator concept with a rocket pack and ornithopter wings. I also have a more frightening steam-borg idea.  Here are some inspirational photos I pulled off the net. This first guy does amazing costumes.

My vote is for you to go with the first one --- would love to see you in that. ;)
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 01:01:51 am »
My vote is for you to go with the first one --- would love to see you in that. ;)

Yeah, I think #1 (with a slightly smaller hat) is a good fit for Ford.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 01:27:51 am »
I wish. My costume will not be that elaborate or detailed. I have no idea how this guy fabricates some of his costumes.

Crazy.

cospro by steampunkoverlord, on Flickr

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 09:24:47 am »
I wish. My costume will not be that elaborate or detailed. I have no idea how this guy fabricates some of his costumes.

Looks to me like he frequents second-hand shops and probably junk-yards as well for raw materials. There used to be a second-hand shop where I live that had a back room with all sorts of old mechanical and electronic bits and bobs, as well as old brass musical instruments. Antique shops sometimes have this kind of stuff too. Good luck with the costume - steampunk is such a funky look, I for one love it. Can't wait to see the photos! :)
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 10:09:29 am »
Ok for the steampunk but for halloween make it a scary steampunk!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 10:23:00 am »
I am working on a steampunk outfit myself. Nothing as metallic as that, more shit that lights up. And luckily, small battery-operated stuff is pretty cheap these days.

I think the deal is to find, discover or invent as large a world/universe/multiverse as you can to contain your character, then make the outfit work for that character. Make everything functional to you. Immerse.

That, a junkyard, and some glue will make it all come together. If you are in the USA I would add that its probably going to be rather warm on Halloween. Might want to take that into consideration.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2011, 11:27:12 am »
Ford, you might also want to have a look around the sites I link to below for ideas on the basic clothing involved. If you get the foundation of your costume right, the rest shouldn't be that difficult.

http://steampunkfashion.moonfruit.com/

http://www.steampunkemporium.com/steam.php

http://steamfashion.livejournal.com/

I'm really looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Your costumes over the years have become the highlight of Halloween for me. :)

edited to add...

http://hubpages.com/hub/Steampunk-Halloween-Ideas

One site I perused suggested making some bits and pieces out of polymer clay and painting them with silver, gold or brass coloured craft paint.

Also, Army & Navy surplus stores can be a source for some items like goggles.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 11:38:30 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2011, 04:40:16 pm »
Thanks, Ann! Those are some great sites. I need make some decisions and get cracking!

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 10:20:04 am »
We don't celebrate Halloween but around halloween there are some weird festivals and I will be appearing on stage in one in drag as a back up to a legendary gender bender.  So I want to go soimewhat inspired as Janis Joplin at Monterey Pop.

Meanwhile, I never bought myself a nice pair of pumps, which I suppose every guy needs in his wardrobe. 

(Janis wore a sort of low talon open healed Alladin slipper at Monterey, so if you have a tip where to find these, thats great too.)

So. Does anyone know a trusty transvestite mail order source.  Meaning you have actually ordered and its good quality?  Thanks.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline wolfter

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 07:10:10 pm »
They have a doggy contest every year at Dawes.  So I also have to come up with a costume for Miss Lily.  I'm hoping to come up with something that coordinates so we can win that contest!  I am fortunate that I live riding distance to Dawes Arboretum.  It's one of the most beautiful places imaginable.  Here is a link to their home page if anyone wishes to see.

http://www.dawesarb.org/
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 10:14:26 pm »
My halloween costume is complete! I had a lot of fun putting it together and I'm pleased I was able to approximate the vision in my head. Now I have to pack it and ship it to Los Angeles. TSA probably would take issue with bringing it on the plane.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT1KrFzxdKw

I recommend viewing in HD with full screen.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 10:40:29 pm »
My halloween costume is complete! I had a lot of fun putting it together and I'm pleased I was able to approximate the vision in my head. Now I have to pack it and ship it to Los Angeles. TSA probably would take issue with bringing it on the plane.

Good lord Ford, you've outdone yourself this year! I'm loving the video. But one thing... I'm not too sure that your Energy Injection Conduit is properly fitted and leads to the correct area - it seems to be a bit too far north. I could be wrong, but you may want to closely inspect that aspect. Or have your other half check it out for you.

Thanks for sharing. Too good to miss! :-*

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 10:57:58 pm »
I love those long, thick tubes and pipes.... they look so good on you.  So, hard, yet flexible, so powerful.... just simply mesmerizing ---- nothing like a good looking man with a long, strong, thick, hard...... 

Oh, and the costume looks good too.   ;D
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2011, 10:58:25 pm »
My halloween costume is complete!
totally awesome and kudos for the video too!
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2011, 01:21:30 am »

Wow!  I wish I were that creative.  You designed this and got all the parts yourself?  Wow!  I could probably get a sheet and cut holes for eyes--For a Ghost people!  But, I'm sure I would cut the holes all wrong and they wouldn't line up with my eyes. 

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2011, 09:12:03 am »
I could probably get a sheet and cut holes for eyes--For a Ghost people!  But, I'm sure I would cut the holes all wrong and they wouldn't line up with my eyes. 

Make it work!

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2011, 01:31:40 pm »
Ford, you are amazing.   Once again, you've outdone yourself....hope you have a FABULOUS Halloween.

Hugs, Alan

PS - I liked your 'professor' photos BEFORE putting on the aparatus....wonderful!
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2011, 03:35:50 pm »
Excellent realization off initial concept Professor Winthrope, perhaps you may choose to travel home in the attire catching the moment cinemagraphically. It would be an educational maelstrom for all the bearers, porters and underlings at LAX.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 07:40:56 pm »
Most excellent costume and video . You make me almost ashamed that on Halloween my plan is to pull the blinds tight , turn off the lights and hide in my bedroom so I wont have to give candy to kids . Who can blame me though , razor blades have gotten so damn expensive in this economy .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 09:12:17 pm »
AWESOME! THat costume is the shit!

and I too am now embarresed with my $1.99 plastic mask from Walmart  ::)

-Will

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 10:08:17 pm »
Wow!  Love the costume and the video really rocked.  You really do love Halloween -- so much effort.  Sid and I are going to go walk around a mall and avoid any rogue trick or treaters.

Mike

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 10:15:18 pm »

Good job Ford, it looked like the real thing.... :D
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 06:07:49 am »
wow amazing bravo

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 01:05:22 am »
Thanks to everyone!

Alan, my partner helped me take the "Professor" photos. He usually barely tolerates my Halloween costumes but this year he was very encouraging and got into it. He is a reality TV fan, so telling him we could pretend it was Project Runway: Halloween Challenge helped him relate. Also not wearing makeup this year was something he was completely in favor of-- he kind of freaks out when the bathroom is covered in red body paint! 

Back yard by GSOgymrat, on Flickr

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 01:18:21 am »
Very cool. You look convincingly 'austere and severe' in the reading chair.  :D
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 01:18:37 am »
LOL....you look amazing Ford, we don't really do Halloween here, but if we did I'd be calling on you for advise.. ;D

Costume is just great...and I loved that last photo, that's some back yard.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2011, 12:11:14 pm »
Need a last minute Halloween costume and have a friend who will loan you her iPad? Here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6p5mbp_M98&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2011, 03:28:17 pm »
Ford, I think that hat is called a "pith helmet" and is very appropriate for your costume/photos....

Hope this is a great year for you!

HUGS   :-*
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2011, 04:30:45 pm »
Ford, I think that hat is called a "pith helmet" and is very appropriate for your costume/photos....

Hope this is a great year for you!

HUGS   :-*

Thank, Alan. I had never heard the term "pith helmet". "Excuse me, let me put on my pith helmet" has a certain ring to it.

Offline mecch

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2011, 04:44:49 pm »
Jealous of all you bitches having fun on Halloween.  And this year I had a great costume having successfully received the pumps and silicone "mature woman's hanging breasts" I mentioned this summer, for a little floor show two weeks ago.

I sick and feel like I once did on a HS ski trip.  We arrived and i promptly got a huge fever while all my bubbies were having a blast in the cold nights and on the slopes all day. We had smuggled beer, cold duck, and Wild Turkey.  Must have been 14 or 15 years old.  I was delirious and all I remember was the Brady Bunch on TV and it was the mysterious and spooky Hawaiian episodes. All messed up cause of my fever.  And the Love Boat theme over and over in my head, loudly, and Joanne Worley.  Horrific.

Offline mecch

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2011, 04:53:30 pm »
and this, boo!

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2011, 05:02:12 pm »
I'm going as the New Wonder Woman  :D 
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 05:47:24 pm »
I'm going as the New Wonder Woman  :D 

LOL...God!!! Wonder Women has let herself go a bit, too many doughnuts maybe... ;D

Aroha

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2011, 05:57:04 pm »
Ford  the Pith Helmut, is also known as a sun helmut, my father wore one when we lived in Aden.

For some light reading... ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pith_helmet#Colonial_period.

Aroha

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 03:58:21 am »
Had a fun Halloween in West Hollywood! There were some great costumes this year. My costume was a big hit and I got lots of compliments. Most people got that it was steampunk, or at least a Victorian jet pack, but some people couldn't seem to get the concept even when I explained it. Of course there were some other steampunk people there and I got some recommendations of groups and websites, but for me this is just Halloween. The pack wasn't that heavy, maybe 40 lbs, but after almost 5 hours of walking around carrying it the straps were killing my trapezius. Here are some of my fellow steampunkers and a link to the rest of the costumes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36088371@N00/sets/72157627908091995/

Halloween 2011 (122b) by GSOgymrat, on Flickr

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2011, 06:32:08 am »
Wow!!!...you guys really are into your halloween aren't you, I loved all the costumes and photo's thanks for sharing Ford, I loved your Steampunk costume.

Aroha

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 06:51:50 pm »
I've come back home to bags of leftover Halloween candy. This doesn't bode well for all concerned.

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 07:01:10 pm »
awesome pix, as usual, of Halloween. ;) Thanks for sharing those again this year.
I always get a kick outta seeing what you and all those other peeps get dressed up as.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.