Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:54:57 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773217
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 497
Total: 499

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: DNA Test For Med Metabolism  (Read 2251 times)

Offline tednlou2

DNA Test For Med Metabolism
« on: July 24, 2013, 01:01:00 am »
I was at a non-HIV doc yesterday.  Before I left, they said they wanted me to participate in this DNA test.  I was confused what they were wanting.  I was told it was an DNA test to test my genetic enzymes, that metabolize medications.  I was told some are poor metabolizers, some are normal, and some are fast metabolizers.  They said this could help determine whether someone needs less, the same, or more of a medication.  Or, whether a med doesn't really work at all for you. 

So, I had my cheek swabbed.  After I left, I did feel I should have asked more questions.  I did the test having no idea how my DNA could be used for other things.  I should have asked more questions and an agreement that it would only be used for the purpose stated.  I didnt even have to sign a consent form, but I digress.  My partner joked I've freely given loads of DNA, without worrying how it would be used..lol.

I've always thought people probably process meds differently, and not just based on weight or sex.  I began wondering what implications this could have for HIV prescribing.  We've seen people frustrated they are having a hard time getting UD, even months after starting therapy.  Others complain of side-effects. 

I'm curious what your thoughts are on this?  If someone is a poor metabolizer, could this be responsible for taking a long time to become UD?  I mean, would a poor metabolizer still have enough med to not develop resistance, but just take longer to become undetectable?  Would a higher dosage benifit them?  And, could a rapid metabolizer get too much of the med, which may be responsible for side-effects?  I am curious whether a test like this could allow patients to adjust their dosage to fit them?  I realize many HIV meds don't have various dosages, like you would have for Prozac, for example.  Not being on meds, I'm still not that familiar with the fixed dosages of HIV meds.  Or, would this not be of value when it comes to HIV meds, because HIV and the meds just work so differently? 

Of course, you may find this totally unfounded science and just a money scheme.  I was told my insurance would pay for it, so I assumed there must be enough science behind it.  We know insurance companies don't cover things, that are especially questionable.  I've just started to research it.

http://www.consumer-health.com/services/NewGeneticTestsHelpDoctorsPrescribetheRightMedicineforYou.php

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
Re: DNA Test For Med Metabolism
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:34:41 pm »
hmmm...

On balance, useless for HIV meds.

The test looks at some liver pathways that break down meds (and other things) and one of these it tests for is the one that is affected by Norvir. Which, as we know, boosts nearly everything that goes through the liver.

The test can't help you now to adjust your HIV meds dose, or indeed any other drugs that your HIV meds might affect, the science isn't there.

The practical way to test drug levels is via a test called therapeutic drug monitoring, which measure how long it takes to a maximum high, and how long it takes to a non-therapeutic low, for a dose of medicine in your actual body (via a blood draw or two).

This said, in future, yes these tests will be useful, but there need to be studies to show, eg this gene means use less/more. There are none for HIV meds at present, apart from some small scale basic science investigations. << for example, genetic propensity to have over high efavirenz levels can be tested at a research laboratory, but the test isn't validated for general clinical use

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.