Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 06:22:04 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 216
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New to this  (Read 3651 times)

Offline Fosbery

New to this
« on: February 19, 2007, 11:48:39 am »
Hey every one, I'm new to this site so I hope this finds it's way to the place. I found out last year that I was positive, and I'm not on meds yet but my doctor says that I will be looking at it by years end, or early next year. I have a bit of a complicated situation and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced it or heard of it. I have always been tested every year for the last 12 years and come back negative and I have always practiced safe sex, or I thought was safe sex. I always wore a condom, however while practicing oral I did not, I thought that was so low risk that I should be fine. Now I have been suffering with strep throat for some, well it seems like forever, and because I have had some bad cases of it my doctor says that I was one of the unlucky guys that was infected.

Scared and need answers

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Re: New to this
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 12:09:27 pm »
Welcome Fosbery.

It doesnt matter how you became infected.  That is the past.  Your Doc shouldnt be telling you a year in advance when he is planning on you starting meds.  What were your numbers?

My jedi powers sense something troubling with this one.  While I think you may be fishing for something entirely different with this post, I hope you are here with good intentions.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Robert

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 12:27:57 pm »
Hi Fosbery.

Welcome.  YOu'll find a lot of support and information here to help answer any questions you have.  But we need to know a little bit more about you.  You mentioned it was a year ago you were diagnosed.  Do you know when you were exposed?  What are your numbers?  If you've been seeing your Dr for the last year, you should know what your VL is and your CD4 (t-cells) count is.  You should be seeing your Dr every 3 months and he should be giving you this information.  It's important to keep track of these to notice the trends so you know when to start your meds.  Before we can help you, we need to know your numbers.  Can you tell us?

robert

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 12:57:27 pm »
Welcome to the forum !

I have only been on here for three months but have learned a lot from everyone.  It's a great place to ask questions and get concise, crisp answers from people who are know what is going on. 

The one question I have concerns your doctor.  What is his specialty?  You might think about shopping for a doctor who has experience treating HIV.  It doesn't sound like he's got it figured out totally.  Also, the reoccuring strep would be a signal to find a different doc. 

Tom
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 01:05:58 pm »
Hey Fosbery,

Welcome to the forum.

I was diag. about a year ago as well and likely to start soon.

Like AK said, it doesn't matter how you got it, but I know it's frustrating.   Don't let it get to you because the important thing is to focus on your health and life.

I'm assuming you've had several labs done since then?   My info is below.   If you want to share those with us we will be able to help answer your questions bettter.

Wesley

Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline Ihavehope

• Yes, I'm a cry baby, AND WHAT?
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 01:28:53 pm »
Welcome buddy.

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Please focus on your present and don't think about how you got it because you can't change the past. You need to take control of this virus now. Glad you found this forum and hope you continue with us and share your experiences. hugs

AL
Infected: April 2005
12/6/06 - Diagnosed HIV positive
12/19/06 - CD4 = 240  22% VL = 26,300
1/4/07 - CD4 = 200 16% VL = ?
2/9/07 = Started Kaletra/Truvada
3/13/07 = CD4 = 386 22% VL ?

Offline Fosbery

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 05:13:42 pm »
Welcome Fosbery.

It doesn't matter how you became infected.  That is the past.  Your Doc shouldn't be telling you a year in advance when he is planning on you starting meds.  What were your numbers?

My jedi powers sense something troubling with this one.  While I think you may be fishing for something entirely different with this post, I hope you are here with good intentions.

I guess your all right, it doesn't matter how I got it, but I have unknowingly infected my partner and the guilt is just unbearable, I guess I wanted something more to give him. I am on here with nothing but the best intentions. Guess I'm just bad at getting things across properly.
My last labs were CD4 380 and VL 24000, the CD4 seem to go down by 20 every 3 months, faster than I thought they would,my doctor is the top HIV doctor here and I have total Faith in him, I have had him as my doctor for 15 years, my last neg test was April 2004. I was tested poz a year ago, met my partner November 2004.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 05:16:56 pm »
I'm sorry to hear about you and your partner.  But having a back story wont help.  Bottom line is you are positive and so is he and now you have found some support.

Try not to dwell in the past as it will do you no good, and will change nothing.  There is no right way or wrong way (other than CSI: NY) to catch this blasted virus.

Look forward to hearing more from you.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 05:31:06 pm »
Hey Fosbery,

Welcome to the forums. I hope they offer you as much support as they have me.

As others have said, don't dwell on the past. The bottom line here is you are positive now.

Sounds like you have great faith in your doc, which is always a good thing. Keep an eye on those CD4s.

For now, pull up a chair, make yourself comfortable and at home. This is a great site and the people here will help in whatever way we can.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 05:33:02 pm »
Thanks for posting, Fosbery.  I guess that I am a bit confused.  You tested positive from some form (active or passive) of oral sex, so one of your questions is about the likelihood of this happening?  The problem is that while it is possible, it is less likely than, say, passive anal intercourse.  If the person were on antivirals and viral load undetectable, less likely.  From a practical standpoint, understand that researchers are always stuck with only what they can know for sure, and without being able to track each and every person and know as a fact what sex he or she engaged in, it's impossible to be clearer than 'it's possible.'  It sounds as though the strep throat is current so I am not sure if you had a question about that as well?  The guilt, some post it as guilt and shame, you will find threads about all over here to offer you a wide range of reactions about it.  As for your doctor's opinion, some doctors do look at patients as though they were all graphable, as in 'my patients tend to start meds. X months/years about becoming infected, take the following meds. and get the following results.  The problem, of course, is that each of us is different and while we might like to see general trends, we don't want to lose that everyone is different in his or her experience after infection.  Best, Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline Fosbery

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 06:57:18 pm »
Hey Everyone,

I want to thank you all for the support, it helps a great deal.  You are right I have support from him at this time, however he is very angry and judgemental, but I do understand that.

Thanks again for all your input.

Offline dtwpuck

• дано мне тело, что мне делать с ним?
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2007, 08:34:34 pm »
Hey... I am very sorry to hear about your diagnosis.  Best of luck to you, although I question your doctor's methodology.  It seems a bit odd that he would just point blank throw a dart at a calendar and tell you when he's going to start you on meds.  If I were in your shoes, I would seek a second opinion on that one.  Or at least a second bedside manner.

I echo what the others say in that how you got it doesn't matter.  Focus on the here and now, on how your future can be fulfilling and there's a better chance you will find happiness.  Keep healthy and keep posting.

all the best,
puck
Floating through the void in the caress of two giant pink lobsters named Esmerelda and Keith.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.