Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:02:54 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772953
  • Total Topics: 66311
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 474
Total: 474

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: im so confused.. really need help.  (Read 5788 times)

Offline soCONFUSE

• just trying to be happy...
im so confused.. really need help.
« on: April 07, 2007, 12:44:46 pm »
I don't know if I'm infected what I knew is that I have STD for almost 7 years.. I haven't cure it because I'm really shy. Please tell me what to do to know if I'm infected.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: im so confused.. really need help.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 12:57:46 pm »
Hold up!  You have had an STD that you are aware of for 7 years and haven't sought treatment?!  I don't care which STD it is, you must- MUST- get yourself to some medical attention immediately.  This is not the time for shyness.  You need to put on your brave face and see a doctor.  There can be serious physical consequences for leaving STD's untreated.  This can lead up to and including death- and that is not even HIV I am talking about here.  Even an STD like syphilis can have dire physical and psychological consequences if left untreated.

Get to a medical facility NOW.

And while you are there, request an HIV test.  All it takes is bravery for that one single visit.  Once you get in the door, you can get the ball rolling on all of these potential problems at once.

You owe it to yourself to do this.  You deserve it.  Now go do it.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline soCONFUSE

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 01:02:25 pm »
I thank you for that. I'm just hoping that tomorrow is that day.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 01:04:46 pm »
You must make it tomorrow.  In fact, I would like to see a post from you tomorrow confirming that you indeed make the trip to see a doctor. 

Meantime, can you tell me what makes you think you have an STD? 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 04:31:17 pm »
As Hunter has told you, if you are uncertain about your HIV status the only thing which can clarify that is by having an HIV test. As long as it is 13 weeks or more past the most recent possibly risky incident you will get a reliable result. Many sites these days offer the quick result test which you can get in less than an hour.

Stop playing doctor with yourself without a license. That's bad for your health. What you are calling an STD may not be any such thing, but only a doctor can tell you for sure.

By the way, what it is that you did which makes you think HIV is an issue? Please clarify.
Andy Velez

Offline soCONFUSE

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 08:40:45 pm »
I was 12 when I had my first intercourse then my boyfriend told me that he is infected with STD. That time we didn't do anything to cure it because we're so shy and we're too young. Now I'm 19 and we already separated but until now I didn't do anything to help myself. What can I do? Even if I want, I can't go to a doctor because of lack of money. I don't have a job right now and I really can't ask help to my friends and even to my family.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 08:51:37 pm »
I was 12 when I had my first intercourse then my boyfriend told me that he is infected with STD. That time we didn't do anything to cure it because we're so shy and we're too young. Now I'm 19 and we already separated but until now I didn't do anything to help myself. What can I do? Even if I want, I can't go to a doctor because of lack of money. I don't have a job right now and I really can't ask help to my friends and even to my family.

OK.  There's still a lot of info I don't have here.  First, the boyfriend told you he was infected with an STD.  Did he say which one?  How did he know for certain he was in fact infected with one?  Had he seen a doctor himself?  If so, he would likely have been treated for it.  Also, I don't know precisely how to advise you on the medical thing because I don't know where in the world you are exactly.  In the US, you cannot be denied medical treatment due to inability to pay.  There are free clinics available in most cities that can offer you help.  You can almost certainly get STD tests provided to you- and I seriously doubt that any positive result for any STD would not be met with an offer of treatment.  Many other countries have nationalized healthcare systems, so an inability to pay in those places won't be an issue anyway. 

Your right to privacy should be respected at any medical facility.  You are over 18, so there shouldn't be any worry about your medical information being passed along to your family.  I don't want you to feel you need to divulge everything about yourself here in this thread, but the more information I have, the more I might be able to point you towards proper help.

PS-  Thanks for letting me know you had responded.  I asked you to follow up and let me know what happened; I am happy that you did.  I was hoping you would write back telling me/us that you had gone to seek medical attention.  Perhaps you need a bit more guidance to point you toward how to do that.  Let's work on that.  Just promise you will do so.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2007, 08:54:12 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline soCONFUSE

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2007, 09:06:38 am »
He has hes check up maybe 6 years ago and it's confirm that he is infected with STD (he didn't mention what kind of STD) when he told me that, I really don't know what I'm going to do for he is blaming everything to me.I know I didn't have any intercourse with other man.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2007, 09:24:52 am »
He has hes check up maybe 6 years ago and it's confirm that he is infected with STD (he didn't mention what kind of STD) when he told me that, I really don't know what I'm going to do for he is blaming everything to me.I know I didn't have any intercourse with other man.

You say "he is blaming everything to me".  That sounds like you two are still in communication.  If so, ask him specifically which STD he says he has.  I'm still kind of questioning whether or not this STD thing might really be the case and if you are genuinely infected with one.  It seems odd to me that in all this time your boyfriend has never revealed which STD he has- or that he could have been diagnosed with one and not been given treatment.  And you seem to be basing your belief that you have an STD entirely on your boyfriend's statements.  You don't indicate that you have experienced any particular physical problems that might indicate an STD.  There's still an awful lot of vagueness to your posts and missing information. 

I have not abandoned you on this thread, though.  I'm just not sure yet where exactly to direct you for treatment in the Phillipines.  There will be additional posts here later as the moderators and others view the thread.  Keep checking on it.  It won't go unanswered.  If you are truly concerned about an STD infection- especially HIV- you will need to schedule an appointment to have a medical check up and get tested. 
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 10:35:09 am »
Call your local Board of Health or any other health-related facility. Often there are volunteer organizations which provide free medical care. You may very well be worrying needlessly about an STD, but until you get tested you won't know for sure.

Obviously you are worried about this and there's no reason you have to live with this kind of concern without having it addressed. If you are in school there maybe a nurse at the school you can discuss this with. OR you can go to the emergency room of any hospital in your area.

For that matter, since you seem to have computer access, you can google on the computer to see what health and service organizations there are in your area.

Andy Velez

Offline soCONFUSE

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 12:01:32 am »
I'm sorry I can't deliver my words clearly because It's hard for me to speak in english fluently. I'm so thankful as in really thankful to find this kind of organization.

I have a question, Does STD can lead to HIV?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2007, 07:47:17 am »
You won't get HIV from another STD. However, if you have an STD it can make you more vulnerable to becoming infected with HIV if you have unprotected intercourse.

Given the information you have reported so far it does not seem that you would have had an STD during that incident several years ago.

However, you do need to get tested. Living with anxiety and uncertainty for so many years is not good for your health either physically or emotionally.

Even if you're frightened and embarassed you need to do the right thing for yourself and get tested. You may very well be worrying needlessly, but either way you need to know what's up.

Keep us posted and good luck with your test.

Andy Velez

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2007, 12:41:51 pm »
Thank you for taking the reins, Andy!
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.