Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:39:26 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 354
Total: 355

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: AZT Phobia  (Read 5583 times)

Offline arabboy32

AZT Phobia
« on: November 22, 2008, 09:04:21 am »
Hi everybody, I am new to the forum. Actually this is my first post. I am almost loosing my mind and I really need your help. I am 32 yo, I have been hiv positive for 5 years or so. I started meds 2,5 years ago with a viral load of over a million and CD4 count of 250. My first combo was epzicom and sustiva. My VL dropped rapidly to undetectable and CD4 count went up to 650. 2 months later my VL went up to 1000. A resistant test was taken and showed resistance to sustiva and some resistance to 3tc. I was offered to switch to AZT and Reyataz. I refused to take AZT because of Lipo association. I ended up taking Ziagen, Viread and Reyataz. VL went undetectable and CD4 count went up to 950. Since then my VL started going up and down between 60 and 100. VL from 950 to 1100. My doc was trying several times to get a resistance test but it was impossible with such a low vi. That is until 3 days ago when the lab managed to maximize my VL of 60 copies and found resistance to Ziagen. My doc gave me 3 options.
1- Tenofovir, AZT and Darunavir ( which he put me on 4 weeks ago anyways)
2- Tenofovir, FTC, Reltegravir, Darunavir
3- Tenofovir, Ftc, Etravirine, Darunavir
He thinks if I keep refusing taking AZT that I am compromising my future options since we will have to use 2 of 3 new drugs available in option 2 and 3.
Now, I have not been sleeping in 3 days, can not study at all ( I am in University studying Biomedical Science with Microbiology) I do not know what to do. It is so hard to choose between the quantity and the quality of life. If you guys can help me with any ideas or thoughts about my situation I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Re: AZT Phobia
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 10:09:07 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum!

I can't tell you which meds to go on but I would say put your health first and don't let fear of lipo compromise your treatment. Remember not everyone gets lipo. Also I'm surprised you would even want to switch combos with a VL between 60 and 100 and (what I assume you met) CD4 between 950 and 1100. Those are good numbers.

There are people on here who know a lot more about medications than I but that is my 2 cents.

Offline arabboy32

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 10:36:46 am »
Thanks for the reply GSOgymrat. By the way, I have read and listened to your interview on The Body several times. I also checked out your website. I just wanted to thank you for sharing your experience with others. You have been an inspiration to me and probably to many others to never give up.
Well, my doc does not want me to stay on my current meds for the fear of possible resistance since my VL in not under 50 copies. But does it really matter if my VL is 60 to 100 and not 50, I am not sure. Such a minimal VL should not really make a difference. I am really thinking about taking AZT and hope for the best.

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 08:14:09 am »
Arabboy:

Welcome to our forums!  Do you know what kind of resistance test your doctor ordered?  If it's hard to get in touch with him, you can always call his office and ask them to mail you a copy of the results for your records.  I always do this when I go for appointments, and I keep a file of all my blood results.

The reason why I'm asking is that it might be worth getting a 2nd opinion on this.  It would be great if besides a phenotype resistance test, you also had a genotype done.  That way, you could get a better sense of your resistance situation to the NRTIs (like Ziagen, etc.).

Often times, a person might have "partial" resistance.  In other words, folks are not always just resistant or not -- there's a big in between.  I take Truvada, even though I'm partially resistant to one of the drugs in this combo NRTI pill.

FYI -- you've got plenty of time to make a decision.  Your VL is extremely low, and there's no need to switch therapy at this time if you don't have to.

If you did get a genotype done, please post all the results here, and we'll give you a 2nd opinion.  There are some cool online tools for calculating your resistance profile based on your genotype results.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.