Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:20:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 227
Total: 228

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Pretty Sure I'm HIV+  (Read 23621 times)

Offline IAmScared

Pretty Sure I'm HIV+
« on: June 06, 2010, 11:25:37 am »
Hi everyone.  I appreciate that you have an area of your forum dedicated to those who are in limbo, waiting for HIV test results.

I want to first express that I am not a person who kissed and made out with somebody and now thinks they have AIDS.  I have a very real concern I would like to discuss with all of you.

I had an unprotected sexual relationship with a diabetic Black man, age 23, from the East Coast.  The relationship lasted through April and May.  In late May, I began to develop symptoms of an STD/STI.  I tried to tell myself that it was a Urinary Tract Infection, but I started to realize it wasn't when I developed vaginal discharge.  My symptoms were burning urination, itchy vagina and anus, and runny, white, vaginal discharge.  I don't have insurance, and I freaked out and went to the ER late one night, where the doctor tested me for gonorrhea, chlamydia, and trichomoniasis.  It turns out that I had trichomoniasis, and the doctor gave me Flagyl pills for treatment.  At some point, there was a breakdown in communications, because I THOUGHT I was instructed to take one pill per day, for four days.  It turns out that I was supposed to take all four pills at one time.  I think the ER doctor gave me the wrong instructions, but I guess I could be wrong and it was my mistake.

Either way, so, when I was on my four-day run of Flagyl, I did feel symptom relief from the trich, especially on the fourth day, when my burning urination FINALLY went away.  But my itchy vagina still persisted, and there was minimal discharge.  I researched trichomoniasis cures on the internet, and discovered I took my medication wrong!  So, yesterday I went to Planned Parenthood and got more testing.  She tested me for trichomoniasis, gonorrhea, chlamydia and yeast infection.  She said she didn't see trich any more, but she wasn't 100% sure, and she said I needed to take my medication again, PROPERLY, this time.  So she gave me the four pills.  She said I had a yeast infection, and she gave me Fluconazole.  It's a one dose treatment, but she gave me three pills, just in case.  After I requested it, she tested me for HIV, as well.  It was a blood test, which I wont get the results for until June 23, 2010.

You may be wondering how I assume that all of this means I have HIV. 

Well, after my four-day run with Flagyl, sadly, I developed symptoms of HIV.  All of them. 

First, it started with a little scratch in my throat, which freaked me out from the onset.  I tried to convince myself that it came from the A/C blowing on my face at work, in the car, and at home, but that scratch in my throat developed into horrible heartburn like I've never experienced. 

One of my bigger indicators is that I developed angular cheilitis, and probably oral thrush.  I will be totally honest and say that I've always had pretty horrible hygiene.  I don't really brush regularly, but I try to brush at night.  When I'm in high spirits, I take care of myself.  When I'm feeling sad, I couldn't care less about my teeth.  I finally went to brush my teeth one morning before work, and that's when I noticed angular cheilitis and my yellow and white coated tongue.  I am sure it's angular cheilitis.  Cracked mouth corners, crusting on top of it, no actual bump like with cold sores, just typical angular cheilitis.  I didn't associate angular cheilitis with oral thrush until I researched it.  Then, I saw that oral thrush was a main symptom of being HIV+ and that is how I came to this conclusion.  Like I said, my hygenine is not good.  I've had a greenish tongue before from not brushing, but never a yellowish white tongue.  I've never had angular cheilitis either.  It all started after Flagyl, and after possible exposure to HIV.  There also was some white stuff along my teeth, which didn't brush off easily like plaque, and my teeth bled more than normal when I brushed.  Normally they don't bleed, but they have bled before in the past, but this was a lot of blood.  It should also be noted that the area where my teeth were bleeding is an area where I've always had gum deterioration.

I haven't washed my hair in days, either, and if I scratch my head, I can get little picky things to come off.  I've had flaky scalp in the past, but it went away.  Now it's back.

So, with the trich, angular cheilitis, oral thrush, vaginal thrush, flaky scalp, sore throat and heartburn, I'm in fear that I've contracted HIV.  It's mostly the oral thrush, though.  Oh, and the lymph nodes.  I am not totally sure, but it's possible that my neck lymph nodes could be the cause of my throat issues.  I don't know if they are swollen, but it doesn't feel good / normal in my neck.

I guess it could be spoken to that I've been living in almost unbearable fear since I found out about the trich.  The stress that I have now is unlike anything I have ever experienced.

Who here can give me an honest opinion and tell me what you genuinely think?  Do you think I have HIV?  Do you think I am HIV negative?  Someone help me, please.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Pretty Sure I'm HIV+
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 12:03:28 pm »
After that long report you haven't talked about doing the one and only thing which will give you the answer you need: taking an HIV test.

You are not qualified to diagnose any symptoms you may have and in any case neither the presence nor the absence of symptoms will ever tell you anything accurately about your HIV status. Only an HIV test taken at 13 weeks past the most recent unprotected incident can give you that answer reliably.

As for your so-called symptoms, you should be discussing them with your doctor. There is nothing HIV-specific about any of them.

You also need to learn for the future to not put yourself at risk as you have in the past. What that means is very simple. Anytime you have vaginal or anal intercourse the guy you are with has to be wearing a condom. Everytime. No exceptions. That way you will be well protected against the sexual transmission of HIV.

So quit all the drama and speculation and get tested at the proper time. You can do an initial test at 6 weeks. If you test negative at 6 weeks then the likelihood is that you will continue to test negative at 13 weeks.
Andy Velez

Offline IAmScared

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 01:22:36 pm »
Sorry Andy, I know my "report" (lol) was long, but it's because I am nervous and scared, as my name indicates.

I did get tested for HIV, and I mentioned it in my post, but I guess that part got lost in the wall of text I wrote.  It was a blood test done by the Planned Parenthood clinic.  My results wont be back to me until July 23rd at 11:00am.  I am here in the meantime for advice, thoughts, peace of mind, and the whole nine yards. 

I didn't mean to offend anyone by my post, and if I have done so, I apologize.

By the by, I cannot discuss these "symptoms" with my doctor, because I don't have a doctor.  I'm uninsured and I just started an entirely new career, and don't have much money at the present time.  If it does turn out that I am HIV+, would it be financially impossible for me to obtain medication without insurance?  Would insurance companies turn me away because of my status?  I know that I haven't been proven to have HIV, but I am still concerned about this.

It's good to hear you tell me that my symptoms aren't HIV specific.  I took my test yesterday, which is around ten weeks.  I believe it should give me an accurate result, although I'm not opposed to going back for further testing if I receive an HIV- result.

As for the condoms, you couldn't be more right.  All of this would be prevented if I weren't such a slutty, horny dumbass who couldn't wrap it up, and I know that for a fact.  It's just illogical that I didn't use a condom.  Absolutely moronic.  At this point, I want to abstain from sex for as long as possible, and when I start having sex again, I guarantee it will only be with a person I have been tested with and am using a condom with.  Hopefully I'm HIV- and will have another chance to do the right thing.

So, Andy, do you not want to speculate on what my result will be?  I'm just so damned worried.  I already took the test, though, I can assure you of that. 

Offline IAmScared

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:37:07 pm »
Hey guys, I'm just updating the status of my health quest.
Still no results from my HIV test, but that was only yesterday, and the results aren't due in until two weeks from yesterday.
But, I really do have oral thrush.  At least, I think I do, anyway.  I have clumpy white stuff at the back of my mouth and throat, and a yellowish appearing tongue.  When I rinse my mouth with water, I spit out yellowish white stuff that looks just like previous vaginal yeast infections I've had.  Sorry for the TMI, but that's where I stand, and as I mentioned before, I took Flagyl all wrong, and spread it out over 4 days, when I was supposed to take four pills at once. 

I thought I should mention that the person who gave me trichomoniasis also recieved treatment for it, and he also took the pills wrong, per my dumbass instructions.  Whoops.  I hope he doesn't still have it.  I hope he is okay, even though he gave me an infection.  I haven't been able to contact him because I, being the super-genius that I am, spillled Cup of Noodles on my iPhone and it hasn't been working since.  Because of the privacy settings on my phone, I can't even retrieve his number from Google Contacts!  Frustrating.  I'm not much of a Facebooker, so I will have to stop by his house to tell him to get re-treated.  I think it would be wise to take him with me to get tested, but we haven't been getting along since the trich.  I am almost sure he would go get an HIV test with me, as he said he would, but I haven't really made the strong attempt to get him to go.  I just have been doing this on my own.

Aaanywho. I know you guys are rolling your eyes at me worrying, but I'm really not.  I'm actually very scared and angry at myself.  As SOON as I finish writing this, I'm going to head on down to the ER, AGAIN.  I am hoping to get the same doctor that prescribed me the Flagyl, but that's unlikely.  I have to go because I am sure I have oral thrush.  It is actually listed as a potential side effect from Flagyl, and being as though I took it improperly, I think I need to seek treatment.   Oh, and I just read the instructions that came with my prescription, and yes, I took it wrong and it's all my fault.

From what I understand, you can't just wait out oral thrush, right?  I mean, I could just eat a crap load of plain yogurt (which I love anyway) and hope for the best, but something is telling me to go see a doctor! 

I'm hoping the doctor at the ER will give me a rapid HIV test, but I know that's not going to happen.  I should have just paid for the rapid HIV test at the clinic yesterday.  Now I have to go back to the ER tonight and back to the clinic tomorrow because I decided to have unprotected sex with a guy I shouldn't have trusted.  I used to pride myself off of how "smart" I was and how educated I was.  What a dumbass I am.

I will let you know what happens at the ER.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 09:04:56 pm »
It's not clear if  your "blood test" was an HIV test or something else.

In any case, if you were still having unprotected sex in May then you are significantly less than 13 weeks from the last unprotected incident. Hopefully you will test negative. If you do you still would need to re-test at 13 weeks for conclusive result.
Andy Velez

Offline IAmScared

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 11:06:01 pm »
Hi Andy, I know you're irritated with me, but I really need to first thank you for hoping for the best for me.  It may be lame to you, but that actually means something to me.  I hope I test negative, too.

With that said, what do you mean, "it's not clear"? 
*nervous lol*
Here's a copy and paste of what I wrote, which you can scroll up and read: "she tested me for HIV, as well.  It was a blood test"
That's a direct copy and paste.  I think that's pretty clear! 

I understand that you get a lot of annoying and upsetting questions through the days on this website, but there's no reason to be upset with me!  I didn't make you skim my thread, lol.  First you said I didn't mention an HIV test, which I did.  Then you said I wasn't clear about it being an HIV test, which is was.  Don't be mean to me.  I know you guys are mean to a lot of the repeat offenders, but don't be mean to me.  I'm a nice girl, and I'm here for advice, comfort and support, which is what I need at this time. 

Because I'm not in the medical field or aware of being infected with HIV, I am not sure about all the technical names of the different tests.  I called it a blood test, because they drew blood.  I only called it a blood test AFTER explaining that it was an HIV test.  You're treating me like some dummy who came on here asking if I could get AIDS from kissing.  I'm the other dummy - the unprotected-sex-having dummy. 

Also, I am aware that I haven't made it to 13 weeks yet.  I think it's still wise that I took an HIV test.  It has at least been 10 weeks since my first unprotected act of vaginal intercourse, and I think that's a good starting point for my testing.

I already know you will find a way to skirt around what I'm saying, but I am not mad at you for that - it's a natural human reaction to accusatory tones.  Actually, I don't mean to sound rude my own self, it's just that it's annoying on my end to repeat something which people can scroll up and read.  Anyway, I'm the dove with the olive branch if you want to start over.  If not, then keep being mean to me.  I still wont be mad at you.  :)

Anyway, I'm going to carry on with my story now.

So, I went to the ER today, and yes, I was correct - I have oral thrush.  It isn't making me feel any better about this whole situation.  But the Doctor was wonderful, and she told me that it happens sometimes with Flagyl, and even if I did have HIV, it wouldn't have effected my immune system that strongly that quickly.  So that was some sense of comfort.  I asked her to check if my glands were swollen, and her answer was, "Well.... MAYBE A LITTLE BIT from the infection on your tongue."  But I'm kind of starting to feel like they're not swollen, and it's all in my head.  Maybe they are a little bit, like the Doc said, from the thrush.  She said that stress probably weakend my immune system some, too. 

Another interesting thing is that she didn't run any tests on me, she just examined me visually, and then diagnosed me.  I asked if there was going to be a test, but she said no, she only needed to examine me visually.

Anyway, I don't have the thrush in my throat.  I made her double check.  It's just on my tongue, mostly.  So the medication I'll be taking is an oral medication that I swish and spit.  And I must continue taking my oral yeast infection meds, too.  I hope I start feeling better, and can regain focus at work, at least until I go back to the Health Clinic to recieve my test results, and get tested again.  The ER doctor did reccomend that I get HIV and Hepatitis testing, which kind of concerned me, and she took notice, and told me that she wasn't asking me to get a test because she thought I had HIV, she explained that she encourages everyone, especially those with STDs, to get an HIV test.  She was going to give me one right then and there, but the ER wont do it.  So, I can go to the testing truck downtown tomorrow morning and get an oral swab test, or I can just wait for my results from the Health Clinic.  I think I will wait, but I haven't totally made my mind up about it.
What do you guys think?  Should I go for it this week, and get a an OralQuick test (or whatever the 30 minute test is called), or should I just wait, since I've already tested?  Any calming advice?  Thank you all for reading.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 12:18:28 am »
Hi Andy, I know you're irritated with me, but I really need to first thank you for hoping for the best for me.  It may be lame to you, but that actually means something to me.  I hope I test negative, too.

With that said, what do you mean, "it's not clear"? 
*nervous lol*
Here's a copy and paste of what I wrote, which you can scroll up and read: "she tested me for HIV, as well.  It was a blood test"
That's a direct copy and paste.  I think that's pretty clear! 

I understand that you get a lot of annoying and upsetting questions through the days on this website, but there's no reason to be upset with me!  I didn't make you skim my thread, lol.  First you said I didn't mention an HIV test, which I did.  Then you said I wasn't clear about it being an HIV test, which is was.  Don't be mean to me.  I know you guys are mean to a lot of the repeat offenders, but don't be mean to me.  I'm a nice girl, and I'm here for advice, comfort and support, which is what I need at this time. 

Because I'm not in the medical field or aware of being infected with HIV, I am not sure about all the technical names of the different tests.  I called it a blood test, because they drew blood.  I only called it a blood test AFTER explaining that it was an HIV test.  You're treating me like some dummy who came on here asking if I could get AIDS from kissing.  I'm the other dummy - the unprotected-sex-having dummy. 

Also, I am aware that I haven't made it to 13 weeks yet.  I think it's still wise that I took an HIV test.  It has at least been 10 weeks since my first unprotected act of vaginal intercourse, and I think that's a good starting point for my testing.

I already know you will find a way to skirt around what I'm saying, but I am not mad at you for that - it's a natural human reaction to accusatory tones.  Actually, I don't mean to sound rude my own self, it's just that it's annoying on my end to repeat something which people can scroll up and read.  Anyway, I'm the dove with the olive branch if you want to start over.  If not, then keep being mean to me.  I still wont be mad at you.  :)

Anyway, I'm going to carry on with my story now.

So, I went to the ER today, and yes, I was correct - I have oral thrush.  It isn't making me feel any better about this whole situation.  But the Doctor was wonderful, and she told me that it happens sometimes with Flagyl, and even if I did have HIV, it wouldn't have effected my immune system that strongly that quickly.  So that was some sense of comfort.  I asked her to check if my glands were swollen, and her answer was, "Well.... MAYBE A LITTLE BIT from the infection on your tongue."  But I'm kind of starting to feel like they're not swollen, and it's all in my head.  Maybe they are a little bit, like the Doc said, from the thrush.  She said that stress probably weakend my immune system some, too. 

Another interesting thing is that she didn't run any tests on me, she just examined me visually, and then diagnosed me.  I asked if there was going to be a test, but she said no, she only needed to examine me visually.

Anyway, I don't have the thrush in my throat.  I made her double check.  It's just on my tongue, mostly.  So the medication I'll be taking is an oral medication that I swish and spit.  And I must continue taking my oral yeast infection meds, too.  I hope I start feeling better, and can regain focus at work, at least until I go back to the Health Clinic to recieve my test results, and get tested again.  The ER doctor did reccomend that I get HIV and Hepatitis testing, which kind of concerned me, and she took notice, and told me that she wasn't asking me to get a test because she thought I had HIV, she explained that she encourages everyone, especially those with STDs, to get an HIV test.  She was going to give me one right then and there, but the ER wont do it.  So, I can go to the testing truck downtown tomorrow morning and get an oral swab test, or I can just wait for my results from the Health Clinic.  I think I will wait, but I haven't totally made my mind up about it.
What do you guys think?  Should I go for it this week, and get a an OralQuick test (or whatever the 30 minute test is called), or should I just wait, since I've already tested?  Any calming advice?  Thank you all for reading.

I've never known Andy (or anyone else who responds in AMI) to skirt around what people say. He has answered you directly and clearly.

Meaness? We provide no nonsense down to earth advice in a civil, if occasionally terse, manner. I suspect you're mistaking our intolerance of bullshit for being mean.

You need to be tested for HIV 13 weeks from your last episode of unprotected anal or vaginal sex. As for the type of test, well that's a matter for you and/or your clinician. Just make sure it's an approved ELISA test.

You need to understand that this forum is not a replacement for counselling or therapy. We simply provide no fuss assessments of HIV risks. If you need someone to talk to, I encourage you to contact a counsellor or therapist. We cannot provide you with that sort of support.

Also we don't need to know every excruciating detail of your recent medical history so if you could restrict yourself to the relevant facts, it would be appreciated.

Finally I encourage you to read our Welcome Thread which contains links to our HIV testing and transmission lessons as well as the posting guidelines.

MtD

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 08:33:53 am »
A negative test result at 10 weeks is very unlikely to change to positive at 13 weeks. You can test again now or as many times as you like between now and 13 weeks, but it is that 13 week negative result that matters as a conclusive result. And again, I expect you will test negative.

Thrush is not in any way an HIV specific occurence. So your having it should not be interpreted as a sign of HIV infection.

Given your negative at 10 weeks it seems you are likely to scoot by safely this time. You need to learn from this experience. In the future you can have intercourse without whomever you like. You just need to do it the safe way which means the guy needs to be wearing a condom. No exceptions no matter what you think you know about him or how you feel about it. A condom is always a must.

Good luck with your 13 week test. 
Andy Velez

Offline IAmScared

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 12:40:38 pm »
Okay, I see.  Understood. 

I think you're right that I shouldn't associate thrush with having HIV.  I'm just going to stop all of this nonsense until I can get my test results back.  There's really nothing else I can do (besdies take the thrush medication in the meantime).  There's no reason for me to be this worked up about it.  All I can do is learn from this, hope for the best, and again, LEARN FROM THIS.  Hopefully I still will have that opportunity.

Thank you for showing concern and providing me with the advice I needed.  I will share my test results with you all when I recieve them.

Offline IAmScared

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 12:44:24 pm »
Oh.  =(  PS  - Andy, lol, no offense buddy, but you read my post wrong AGAIN!  I never said I tested negative at 10 weeks.  I said I tested.  I haven't gotten my results back yet.  It's irrelevent though.  I'm going to leave you guys alone until I get my results back.  I can tell you don't like it when people come on here bothering about all of their symptoms.  Please wish me the best of luck and health.  I wish the same for all of you.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 12:53:51 pm »
Thanks for the clarification about the 10 weeks. If you test negative that will be a very strong indication that you will continue to test negative.

Good luck.
Andy Velez

Offline IAmScared

Re: Pretty Sure I'm HIV NEGATIVE
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2010, 07:52:39 pm »
Today I went ahead and tested again, using an Oral Swab test called OraQuick.  I TESTED NEGATIVE!  I couldn't take not knowing for 15 more days, and besdies, a bit more time has passed.  I am excited about this good news, and I will test again on National HIV Testing Day on the 27th, and again in a couple of months.  I'm still scared a little bit, because I know I'm not out of the woods.  But, at least I know the reason for all of my funky health issues is not related to HIV.

I sincerely appreciate the attention that you gave me in this forum, and I wish everyone here happy health.

Thank you!

I will update my test results as I get them.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 08:15:18 pm »
Scared,

Don't forget that for a conclusive result, you need to test at three months past your LAST unprotected incident of anal or vaginal intercourse. If your latest result is six weeks or more after your last incident, then your conclusive result is highly unlikely to change.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline IAmScared

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 08:43:22 pm »
Thank you Ann.  I will DEFINITELY keep that in mind as I wait for time to pass.  I will never, EVER forget this experience.  In fact, I'm on my social networking site RIGHT NOW talking about HIV awareness and prevention, and trying to convince people to get tested.  I will never forget this.

<3
<3

Offline IAmScared

Re: Pretty Sure I'm HIV negative
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2010, 12:06:39 pm »
Hey guys,
I have a couple questions, and I'm sorry to bother you again.
I told you guys about the HIV test I took - I tested negative, which was great and awesome news.  I took an OraQuick test.  I went back and looked at my calendar and I see that my first sexual contact was about 10 weeks from when I tested, and my last sexual contact was like 3-4 weeks from when I tested.  I know the best time to test is at 6 weeks after potential exposure, and then again at 3 months.  My question is - is there a percentage of how accurate my test would be at 10-3 weeks after exposure?  Like, number wise, is there a percentage of accurate diagnosis?  I know OraQuick is about 99.98% accurate, but for someone who is testing too early like me, is there a percentage of accuracy?  I'm asking because I am still afraid of HIV infection and I want to know if my fears are founded or not.  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2010, 12:09:37 pm »
IAS,

The percent doesn't matter. What matters is a conclusive result and you've got about eight more weeks to wait for that. However, I'm not expecting your result to change.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline IAmScared

Re: Pretty Sure I'm HIV-
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2010, 02:46:05 pm »
Oh, okay, thanks Ann.  I understand.  That's good to know.  Thanks!

Offline IAmScared

Re: Pretty Sure I'm HIV.... + or -
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 08:43:48 pm »
Hello again everyone,
I'm back again with my worries.  I haven't been tested again yet, I'm trying to get my partner to test and I'm trying to wait a while before I rush into testing again when it's not time.  My partner said he got tested and he's waiting for his results but I don't know if I believe him.  If he does come back negative, it will prove to me once and for all that I am not infected with anything else he gave me.  I feel like he's a bit of a dishonest person, though.  Anyway.  So I realized something... I was having sex with this guy from April 03rd or so, to about May 20th or so.  Then I got tested on June 07th.  I know that's not enough time for definite results.  I need to go back on the 27th (National HIV Testing Day).  I have a question for you, though.  I hope you guys know the answer.

So... remember I was saying how I got oral thrush and a yeast infection?  Well, I still have the yeast infection... kind of.  It's a bit persistent.  I got the oral thrush and yeast infection during the last days of May, early days in June, after taking antibiotics.  Then I tested negative on June 07th.  Does that mean that it's impossible for my "symptoms" to be HIV related, since I tested negative after the symptoms began?  I'm trying to see if these "symptoms" are totally unrelated to HIV or if it's possible that they could be related.  My neck began hurting the other day, and I know Andy and everyone keeps telling me that symptoms are no way to gauge whether or not you're infected.  But I just want to put it out of my mind that this dang yeast infection that WONT GO AWAY has anything to do with HIV infection.  If I got it before I tested negative, that means that it's unrelated to HIV, right?  The area of my neck that is sore is possibly an area where the nodes are... I know you guys get this shit all the time.... I hate that I keep coming here bothering everyone.  It's sore, not swollen.  Should I be getting freaked out again, or is it still possibly likely that I'll test negative again on the 27th?  That would make it like six weeks after my LAST exposure, which would give me a better result.  I just don't want it to be the result I've been dreading ever since the first time I had unprotected sex.  Could my nodes be sore because I'm stressed out?  Does that happen?  I never paid attention to these little pains before... or maybe I just never had them before.  Hard to tell.  I wish there was a testing center open 24 hours so I could just go now.

Offline IAmScared

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 04:55:01 pm »
I went to the Whitman Walker Clinic today and got another test.  I don't know what it was called, but it came out of an OraQuick packet and she pricked my finger for blood that she dipped into some container. 

I came back negative!  Again!  I am very happy about that, but I don't feel as happy as I want to. 

Today is June 25, 2010.  My unprotected sexual relationship lasted from about April 03, 2010 to about May 20, 2010.  Do you think I can breathe a sigh of relief that I tested negative, or does my test mean absolutely nothing considering the timing?

On another good note, my partner SAYS he got tested, and he SAYS it came back negative.  I have been monitoring that situation as closely as I can.  I let him borrow my car to go to his doctor, and I hassled him about it every day.  He claims that he called the doctor today and the doctor said there were no viruses in his blood.  I'm not sure if I should believe him.
What do you guys think about my situation?  Do I need to shut up and stop worrying like most of the other people in this forum, or do I still have a reason to be majorly concerned?  I know that my results aren't conclusive until 13 weeks post unprotected sex.  Did I take all these tests for nothing, or are they a majorly good sign I will test negative some more in the future?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 05:42:40 pm »
Any negative result is a happy thing. It would be more meaningful at 6 weeks as a negative at that point points strongly to continuing to test that way at 13 weeks.

As for your bf's result, you guys need to continue using condoms when you have anal intercourse. From where I am sitting, your relationship hardly sounds like a securely monogamous one with the kind of knowledge of and trust in each other that warrants considering not using condoms. AND you two have not yet both tested negative at a reliable testing point.

Andy Velez

Offline IAmScared

« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 04:36:17 am »
Thanks Andy.
I just want to clarify some things.... We're not having anal intercourse.  Just vaginal.  Actually, we're not having ANY intercourse.  Haven't had any since the trich problem.  And although it's safe to say we're in a monogomous relationship, that doesn't mean that I trust him in other areas of life - example:  I don't trust him to tell me the truth about his status.  Also, it has been more than six weeks (it's been like 10 weeks) since we first started having sex, and it's been about four weeks since our last unprotected sex.  IF we do begin to have sex again, we will use condom, and I don't even have an excuse not to because I already caught an STI/STD from this guy.  I already have a huge stash of condoms from being in the clinics so much lately.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 08:02:53 am »
It's clear from what you have written that your present situation is not one that I would call a "securely monogamous one in which both partners have tested negative at a reliable point." So that means for the indefinite future as you two get to know each other better, using condoms everytime for vaginal and anal intercourse is a must.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline IAmScared

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 01:59:51 pm »
Thanks Andy.
As I mentioned before, I'm not having sex at all with this guy since I caught Trich from him.  We're not having ANY sex.  None.  I don't even want to use condoms with him because I don't want to have sex with him in the first place to even need a condom.  The only way I MIGHT reconsider having sex with him again is if I see his test results on paper, in which case, as I mentioned, I have condoms and I know now I need to use them and I would use them.  I know he's not having sex with anyone else.  But the only reason why that would even matter to me is because I don't want him to pass his diseases around to other girls.  But he's not, I know he isn't having sex with other people.  His "monogamy" is not at all in question, it's his HIV status that I question because I contracted an STD/STI from him at the start of our "relationship" and then began to develop some immune system problems.  Regardless as to all of that BS, I'm not having sex with him or anyone else.  And my sexual relationship with a guy I'm not having sex with any more is not the reason why I asked for your help, lol.  But thanks though, I appreciate the kind responses.  I think my original question was more about the validity of my HIV test results from yesterday.  From what I take from you, Andy, my test results are not conclusive, but are still a good sign for now.  Right?  Since I tested 10-4 weeks post unprotected sex, that means that my test results aren't reliable enough for me to assume I don't have HIV?  Or does it mean I will likely continue to test negative since I'm almost at the 6 week point?  I hope so... =/

Offline IAmScared

« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 02:13:00 pm »
Oh, another question.  Yesterday when I was at the clinic, I remembered what you guys said about oral sex and it only being a theoretical risk.  So I asked the test administrator if that was true, and she gave me a funny look and asked me what I meant, so I said that I heard you could swallow someone's semen and that your saliva would be like a barrier against transmission.  Her response to me was that you can get HIV through oral, and not to brush your teeth before oral sex because you can open up cuts in your mouth etc, etc.  I didn't press the issue, but it made me think that what you guys were saying could still be right, because the test-admin seemed to insinuate that you could only get it through oral if you were bleeding in your mouth.  She didn't speak to the saliva thing I mentioned.  She also said that she tested a girl who caught HIV from having only oral sex.  Was the test-admin... wrong?  Or was she just covering her ass because that's what all test-admins have to tell you about oral sex?  Or are you guys wrong about oral sex?  When I said, "theoretical risk" she had NO IDEA what I was talking about, lol.  Just wondering, because until I came here, I always thought you could get HIV from oral, because that's what I always heard in school and in college etc and during AIDS/HIV awareness weeks, etc. 

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 03:05:59 pm »
IAS,

Just because a person claims their only risk was oral doesn't make it true.

There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline IAmScared

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 05:43:38 pm »
Ann,
I believe what you're saying.  That makes sense.  My question is, why do you think the test administrator told me that you could get it from oral if you simply can't?  Does the Whitman Walker Clinic or the government or someone REQUIRE that they tell you non-factual information?!  Or is it a new finding that oral can't give you HIV?  Or is it just that she was incorrect and misinforming people?  And Ann, what do you think I should do about my test results?  Should I assume nothing about my status based on my two tests which were negative, the most recent being 10-4 weeks after my first and last unprotected encounters?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 07:02:13 pm »
We're not here to explain why other sites or sources give out information which may differ from ours. In many instances they are being super cautious. At other times we've found they are simply not up-to-date.

We stand behind what we've said. Could you become infected through oral? Theoretically yes. But in the real world of HIV we have found that claims of infection in that manner, for a variety of reasons,  just don't hold up.

But I always tell people that sexually they ought not do anything they aren't comfortable with. So if you are going to worry and fret about giving unprotected oral, then either use condoms to do it or don't do it. You have to decide what level of risk you are willing to tolerate. 
Andy Velez

Offline IAmScared

I'm HIV Negative.
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2010, 12:03:45 am »
I went to the doctor with my partner today, and he got tested.  He tested negative!  I was there while the doctor read the test results, so I know this is a fact.  I'm going to end my worrying about HIV, and probably get tested again in a couple months just to make sure, but at this point, I am satisfied that he did not ever have HIV and never gave it to me.  I've tested negative twice, and he's tested negative as well, so I don't think I have any reason to believe this is an issue.  Thanks for your help.  I wont be worried like this again, because I'm not going to be having sex without condoms again.  I learned my lesson.  Condoms would have prevented all of this worry that's been going on for a month now.  Although we both still have other health concerns that are related to this incident, it's refreshing to know that HIV is not part of those concerns any longer.  Second chances are wonderful things.   :)

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2010, 07:28:22 am »
Negative results are always a happy thing.

That's a good plan about using condoms consistently in the future. And that's what you should continue to do until if and when both partners decide to be in a securely monogamous relationship and have reliably tested negative together for HIV. 

Good luck to you.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:30:16 am by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline IAmScared

I'm HIV Negative.
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2010, 11:01:44 pm »
Thank you very much, Andy.  You helped me a lot over the past couple of weeks.  Condoms will be a big part of my future.  The good thing is that I learned a lot about HIV, who has it, how it's transmitted, and what it does to the human body.  I am thankful for that, and I'm thankful that now I have the right information to share with my friends. 
Thanks everybody.

Offline IAmScared

I'm HIV Negative.
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2010, 11:53:24 pm »
Oh, I have one last question!

Do you guys know of a good forum like this one that talks about curable STIs? 

I have a question.  Do you guys feel comfortable answering a question about curable STIs?  I've been tested already and so has my only partner, if that makes a difference as to whether or not you feel it's right to answer.

Offline Matty the Damned

Re: I'm HIV Negative.
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2010, 11:56:28 pm »
Oh, I have one last question!

Do you guys know of a good forum like this one that talks about curable STIs? 

I have a question.  Do you guys feel comfortable answering a question about curable STIs?  I've been tested already and so has my only partner, if that makes a difference as to whether or not you feel it's right to answer.

We don't usually do STIs, but since you've asked nicely I'll see what I can do.

What would you like to know?

MtD

Offline IAmScared

« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2010, 12:20:30 am »
Thanks Matty, I appreciate it.

Since my last intercourse, I've had 3 STI tests for gonorrhea, chlamydia and trich.  I tested positive for trich the first time, got treatment for me AND my partner, and I tested negative for all three STIs twice afterward.  A couple days later, my partner got tested, and tested positive for gonorrhea and chlamydia.

Should I be getting tested again for these?  Is it possible that he had gonorrhea and chlamydia and just didn't give them to me? 
I developed a yeast infection during this time.  Is it possible that I received false negatives for the STIs due to the yeast infection itself and/or the suppository that I used to treat it? 

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2010, 12:37:26 am »
Thanks Matty, I appreciate it.

Since my last intercourse, I've had 3 STI tests for gonorrhea, chlamydia and trich.  I tested positive for trich the first time, got treatment for me AND my partner, and I tested negative for all three STIs twice afterward.  A couple days later, my partner got tested, and tested positive for gonorrhea and chlamydia.

Should I be getting tested again for these?  Is it possible that he had gonorrhea and chlamydia and just didn't give them to me? 
I developed a yeast infection during this time.  Is it possible that I received false negatives for the STIs due to the yeast infection itself and/or the suppository that I used to treat it? 

The medications used to treat thrush are not effective against gonorrhoea or chlamydia. So I doubt the medication (or the yeast infection) would have skewed your other test results.

The treatment for trichomoniasis (metronidazole) can suppress the bug that causes chlamydia.

Given the potential seriousness of chlamdyia and gonorrhoea in women and noting that your partner has tested positive subsequent to your negative test results I'd recommend you be restested for both chlamydia and gonorrhoea.

I suggest you take any further non-HIV related questions up with your doctor.

MtD

Offline IAmScared

« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2010, 01:16:53 am »
Thanks Matty, that makes perfect sense.  You're right, I will do that.

I kind of knew I was going to get tested again due to his results, but I was also kind of thinking that my prior test results would be proof enough that I was negative, considering that I didn't have sex again.  But it doesn't matter, testing again will confirm everything.  I'll ask the clinic doctor about all of the other things I don't understand about this.

Thanks very much.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.