Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:16:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 589
Total: 589

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: What did you think about the Oprah show on AIDS?  (Read 14371 times)

Offline iana5252

• Administrator
  • President, Smart + Strong
What did you think about the Oprah show on AIDS?
« on: October 26, 2006, 05:25:08 pm »
Regan and Marvelyn were awesome. Kudos to them and the rest of the brave women on today's show.
POZ.com | HepMag.com | CancerHealth.com | RealHealthMag.com | TuSaludMag.com | SaneMag.com

Offline Cliff

Re: What did you think about the Oprah show on AIDS?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006, 05:40:37 pm »
I wonder if it will be on the internet.  I'm sure Oprah is on here in the UK, but I have no idea what channel or time (nor if it's a day or so behind the US).

Offline Peter Staley

• Founder & Advisory Editor, AIDSmeds.com
    • AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006, 05:59:16 pm »
Ian -- you corporate shill!  LOL. 

Welcome to the forums, Ian.  I hope all our forums members will give a warm welcome to Ian, Smart+Strong's General Manager (kind of like the 2nd in charge).  Even though he sits high in our MASSIVE corporate tree, he's actually a really nice guy.  And he was genuinely impressed with Regan's and Marvelyn's appearance on Oprah today, as was I.

Peter

Offline Lis

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006, 06:03:37 pm »
Dang it... i just posted in Peters thread..... GOOD SHOW!!!!!!
poz 1986....

Offline Teresa

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 06:09:08 pm »
What I saw of it (damn tornado's 200 miles from me and they interrupt to tell about it) I thought it was very good. 
The one thing I was hoping they would talk about is the price of the meds. If they did I missed it during the warnings of the tornado over 200 miles away!

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Barb

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 07:00:10 pm »
I was at the show and I feel that this episode really "played it safe".  Obviously Oprah chooses not to address the real issues of HIV in our communities.  The ladies were wonderful, but there was no discussion of hardships in life, drug addiction or sex work.  Dr. Smith kept it real with her comments.  The offensive part to me was when black men on the "downlow" were referred to as murders.  Those of us who work in the field know that the majority of folks we work with do not choose to go out and intentionally give HIV to people.   Individuals with serious mental health issues may do such a thing, but ultimately I have HIV because of my choice. 

Any way...very sugar coated in my opinion.  Keep it safe and comfortable for the upper class white female audience that Oprah chooses to reach.  She really could have been so much more effective. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 07:03:46 pm by Barb »

Offline Lis

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 07:09:09 pm »
I agree that alot of the hard shit didn't come up... the old saying "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time"
there is a world audience  perhaps just 1 or 2 will test and make themselves safe... i say it was a success!! wish that would have been on in 1986!!!

lis
poz 1986....

Offline Veanderschild

• SisterLove, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006, 09:07:26 pm »
The group of HIV+ ladies was awesome. I wish the show focused more on them, what they've learned, how they are dealing with those in their lives, their community, etc...  It was obvious that more was discussed. Would really be interesting to see all of it.

The doc was fabulous!!  While she didn't have time to go into detail she laid it (why women are at risk) out there. Excellent job.

The minister had me screaming at my TV!!!  Culture of promiscuity?  WTF???  Again America (white America) is given the impression that AIDS is affecting those with loose morals.  First gay men, now women. If only we'd keep our legs closed huh? Is that THE solution? Folks like the Reverend are gonna make me loose my mind! I guess I shouldn't be surprised given his focus/vocation but dang-it, when will we stop stigmatizing and blaming? 

Also it is sad that Oprah is sorta fascinated with this 'downlow' thing. If she is going to continue to focus on it she needs to REALLY address it, really discuss the homophobia that keeps folks closeted and the irrelevance of it all.  The topic that we should focus on is prevention, is safer sex and that means safer sex ALL THE TIME.   If we protected ourselves  it wouldn't matter if our man was slipping and sliding with another man or another woman. It is about prevention!!!

But, like someone posted....this is a positive step forward, albeit small.  We just have to make sure this isn't the ONLY message/coverage of the issue.  I am thankful that Oprah covered the topic once again.

Peace!

Offline cph9680

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006, 10:36:16 pm »
I think that aside from that bullshit about Magic Johnson being the face of AIDS, it was very interesting, the ladies were fantastic and I even learned a thing or two...

As for M.J. - I don't see how anyone with that much money, corporate backing, and poor grammar (!!!) could represent the face of AIDS, or at least not anyone I've ever met.  Find someone working class, struggling through the system and then maybe you have the face of AIDS

Corey

Offline sophievt

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006, 10:44:39 pm »
It's great to see that Regan is back with her blog.  I watched the Oprah show and thought the all the women on there were so great.  I wish Oprah would do more shows on HIV in the US.

Offline livingpositively

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006, 10:53:47 pm »
I was extremely disappointed with the show.  I thought the part with the six women was pretty ok, but not what I expected.  I, too, would be very curious and interested to see what happened that hit the cutting room floor.

As for the rest of it, I thought it COMPLETELY SUCKED!!!

Next on Animal Planet: Horse flatulence
4/6/07   CD4 450, % 23, No VL
2/19/07 CD4 487, % 26, VL 47,500
1/4/07   CD4 357, % 27, No VL
10/3/06 CD4 500, % 26, VL 18,000
7/6/06   CD4 530, % 29, VL 83,800
4/6/06   CD4 555, % 28, VL 13,000

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006, 11:38:02 pm »
My big thing was manageable versus unmanageable. I was on pins and needles. So I want to give a small thumbs up to Magic Johnson for saying something to the effect of I don't want people to think just because I'm doing well, that HIV is no big thing, they can get it and take meds and everything will be fine. It's not true. The virus will affect everybody differently. The side effects will be different for everybody.
IMHO, he could have gone deeper but he didn't. Overall,  I agree with earlier posts ---the show played it safe ---it could have done much much more. Magic also said something to the effect of Millions have died since this epidemic started. Millions will continue to die. I don't know how middle America took to all this. The face of HIV in 2006 blends in much more easily than the face of AIDS of 1986. The show was so "Oprah" ... That's the easiest way for me to sum it up :-\  :-\
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 12:33:52 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline simon2

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2006, 03:48:27 am »
Regan is terrific. It is very interesting indeed to hear her account of how incredulous people are to hear she is HIV Positive. How I would love a long talk with this intelligent woman!
I would like to propose a new category of Blogger...."How Did I Get Infected?"
As a gay male who only practiced very safe sex, I will never understand how I got infected. Although it shouldn't really matter, it DOES, to me, and I simply cannot figure it out. What it makes me think is that there are perhaps more ways to become infected than we ever realised.....I have never taken drugs, never had unprotected sex, etc. etc.
If anyone else has had this puzzling experience, I wish they would contact me, as I believe if we pinpointed the infection moment, we might save a few more lives.
An incredulous POZ person,
simon2blues@yahoo.com.uk

Offline ChaplinGuy

• Eat my left foot
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2006, 07:07:18 am »

Selfishly, I think that I enjoyed and found comfort watching the show because it made me feel better knowing that these people are out there, they are successful, strong and healthy. And I don't think anyone can discount the importance of giving those of us living with HIV the hope that we need to keep going and to keep our eyes on the ball for the future. But Magic said it himself, it's a blessing and a curse. I think that if I wasn't HIV positive I would have seen that show out of the corner of my eye and thought, "wow, look at these hot women and Magic doing so well - medical science has triumphed again!"

I guess I struggle with where to lay blame on how best to balance those two messages, because hope and reality are both very key to caring for those infected and preventing future infections. And the more I think about it, the responsibility lies with the person out there. If someone out there wants to watch a 1 hour program and have unprotected sex this weekend because they think HIV is not a threat, well ... we're all here because we made that same mistake and nothing anyone says or does will stop that from happening.

I think (hope) that a lot of people will make both choices: some that saw the show will down the line be less careful and others will be more.

Off the subject, I had no idea that Regan was such a babe! She's extremely good looking...

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006, 11:12:05 am »
FYI -- Regan & Marvelyn just posted blog entries about their experience on Oprah.  Use these links to get there:

Regan's Blog

Marvelyn's Blog

Offline Iggy

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006, 11:25:03 am »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:11:42 pm by Iggy »

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006, 11:29:34 am »
Knowing just how difficult it really is to present "Meat and Potatoes" to an Oprah audience that is usually so very interested in Tom Cruise, rather than testing to see if maybe, just maybe, their husbands might have brought HIV home with them from that very tiring business trip that they just returned from; I think overall, it was just fine.

Regan and Marvelyn's participation was the crowning touch.  Magic Johnson, not so much.  I would have enjoyed a whole hour with the six women who were chosen to do this show.  I think Oprah missed an golden opportunity to really drive the point of HIV in Middle America home and made far more of an impact than to have a "Ball Player" sit there and make an attempt to use the language with much difficulty.  His use of English is the second worst I have ever witnessed, the first being our current president.

Overall, like Lis said, small bites first, then maybe we can devour the elephant.

This was a very needed show, and the six women present were masterful in their use of the opportunity to not miss a beat.  I especially enjoyed the dismay that Oprah showed when each of the respondents were pointing out how many pills they have taken and continue to take.  That was priceless.  Poor woman nearly fell out.

Regan, Marvelyn; you both really rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Thanks and Humility in the face of real power.

P.S., Yes Iggy, it would be nice if they did take the time out of their very busy schedules to acknowledge the comments.  I didn't respond, mainly because I didn't expect any response in the Blog Comments section.  It is one of the most sparsely used forums on this site.  I guess we are the ones that might be able to change that, but I don't know how.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Christine

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 12:27:12 pm »
I would have like to have seen more of the six women, more about what living with hiv truly is. The day-to-day realities of life with hiv. I don't think Magic Johnson is the typical face of Aids. I did find that statement to be offensive. MJ is blessed to have wealth, and access to healthcare. He is not the average hiv+ person, he is not the average American.

Perhaps another show where the focus is on safe-sex, and pounding the point that everyone is at risk.

Christine

I forgot to add, I did like the statement the one lady made: "Rejection is Direction..."
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 12:29:23 pm by Christine »
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline Peter Staley

• AIDSmeds.com
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006, 12:29:04 pm »
Will they actually be responding to comments or are we just letting everyone know to read?

Iggy -- we don't require members of Smart+Strong staff to participate in the forums (let's face it -- even I'm not in here that often!).  That said, they are bloggers, and I want to find a way for them to respond on occasion to comments on their blogs.  We will be switching soon to a system where folks leave comments IN THE BLOGS, not in the forums -- and this should help (I hope).

That said, you should know that there are MANY prominent blogs on the Internet where the comment sections are NOT used by the bloggers themselves.  They blog, others comment, they blog again, etc.  In the end, it's really up to Regan & Marvelyn how much interaction they decide to do within their blogs.

Peter

Offline Iggy

Re: What did you think of Oprah today?
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006, 12:40:50 pm »

« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:11:21 pm by Iggy »

Offline Marvelyn

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006, 01:04:56 pm »
Thank you for all of your support. I hope the show changes some perceptions about HIV/AIDS in America.

I have a lot of responsibility as some of you and understand that we can not reply to every single message that we receive but I do read them and appreciate them.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 04:51:37 pm by Marvelyn »

Offline Iggy

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006, 01:09:52 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:11:04 pm by Iggy »

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 01:36:46 pm »
I did not see the show. But. It is very easy to discount Magic because of his wealth and access to great medical care but think about what he gave up. He was the Tiger Woods of his time. He did not have to come forward and tell the world that he had HIV. He could have kept it a secret and continued to play basketball. He ended his own career and there is no more powerful drug than being at the top of the sports world.
Yes his wealth and connections did enable him to move his career successfully in another direction, but he did make those choices. He could have given up and sat at home. Magic may not be the face of HIV, but he is an excellent of example of how we should take life on by not giving up and trying to be the best we can be each day.
I am pissed that because of Magic, palming the ball,traveling,and the double dribble are not illegal anymore.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006, 01:43:35 pm »
I think Magic is just as much a face of AIDS as anyone else.  Just because he's wealthy, or doesn't have great command of the English language, doesn't mean that he should be prevented from speaking publicly about the disease.  All of us come from different backgrounds and we ALL represent the face of AIDS.

Iggy,

What do you mean, when you say some bloggers use the blogs as corporate p.r.?

Offline Iggy

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006, 04:24:29 pm »
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 08:10:41 pm by Iggy »

Offline tryingforhope

« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2006, 04:28:58 pm »
I saw the show and it was ok. As a newly diagnosed woman I was a looking for maybe a little more from the show. We only saw a bit of what MJ's life was and I would have liked to see what one of the "normal" women on the show dealt with meds etc on a daily basis. Of course my ridiculous sister saw the show and started yelling at me on the phone about me eating fatty foods and then told me that I would die in 10-15 years so hmmm not sure what she got out of the show.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2006, 04:55:28 pm »
I said I would record the show and I missed it. From reading the posts, it seemed like it got mixed reviews. Honestly I wanted to see Marvelyn, I read her blog when I first found the site, it was what made me respond to the forums etc. Thanks Marvelyn!

I have noticed that Magic has problems speaking but he is not the only one, try listening to Mike Tyson. The pitch of his voice is like nails on a chalkboard to me and I'm partially hard of hearing! :o
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline Bizmark33

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2006, 05:07:09 pm »
Well....
Seems to be alot of anger towards Magic Johnson on here. Being new to the diagnosis I don't quite understand that exactly. I think when people say he is the face of HIV, what they are trying to say that anyone can get it. Let's face it, it helps to have a famous person with the disease. It gets money, it get's politicians involved. It gets treatment centers with his name on it. Ultimalty it helps. Do I think he REPRESENTS me? No. No more than ANY politician does, and none of them do.
     Having said that, it was good to see the gals on there. They helped to put a real face on HIV, and that it is a disease, a virus anyone can get. What I try to tell all MY friends is...."look....we all have viruses....do what you can to protect yourself from this one".
     The ladies (and that's what they represented themselves to be) did very well. This disease is spreading despite education, despite treatment. When need to reach people upstairs (in the head), and talk, talk about it more.
     Lets face it....an hour wasn't enough. I'm sure they spent more time on it, and they edited it to thier liking. So.......at least the info was put out there. .....just need to keep going. A baby step.

Offline cph9680

« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2006, 05:39:55 pm »
than to have a "Ball Player" sit there and make an attempt to use the language with much difficulty.  His use of English is the second worst I have ever witnessed, the first being our current president.

So I'm not the only one who noticed.  It was a cringe-worthy affair for the first thirty minutes.  But I think Marvelyn, Regan and all the other ladies did a phenomenal job.  Hopefully those that needed to watch this did so!

CH

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2006, 06:19:51 pm »
Unfortunately I missed the show because I was at IN THE LIFE studio taping an HIV-related segment for future airing. (Don't know the date yet).

It sounds like some good stuff happened. The real issue to me is that this kind of show is almost always a once in a blue moon event instead of a regular, ongoing part of what Oprah and any other such program and news program ought to be doing. I mean look at the magnitude of this epidemic and we're getting thrilled because Oprah did a single show. HIV/AIDS should be a regular part of the what she covers on her show several times a month. And I ain't gonna be satisfied with anything less.

As for Oprah being shocked at the number of pills people have to take -- that is a perfect example of how inadequate the coverage of the epidemic is that such a basic piece of information comes as news to one of the most powerful women in America who lays claim to being involved in social issues.

Maybe I'm being too harsh here, but shame on her that she is not up on something like that!

I am usually so grateful when I see almost any kind of coverage -- except when some talking news airhead gives out with another "new hope for AIDS victims" number, smiles, shuffles some papers, smiles again and turns to the weather report. That always makes me furious.

Yes, I am grateful Oprah had the show but it's a drop in the bucket of what needs to be on the air and in the media.

I want HIV to have more coverage than Paris Hilton's drunkenly crashing her car. Yes, I do. And I am not settling.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 06:21:34 pm by Andy Velez »
Andy Velez

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2006, 07:01:34 pm »
Marvelyn and Regan were fantastic, as were the other ladies in the group.   I enjoyed that segment of the show the most.

Magic Johnson inspires me to try to do better (as in GO BACK TO THE GYM!) in taking care of myself.

I wish the show had hit on other topics, such as the high cost of the drugs, the difficult time we have trying to get care, the Ryan White Act woes, etc....
but all in all, I think it was a positive message and hopefully, will do much good.

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2006, 09:07:12 pm »
When I was in the hospital with my AIDS diagnosis, PCP and everything else, I lost everything I had worked for in my entire life.  My company let me go because it too risky for the nations front runner in workers' comp reform to take a chance on one of their top management people going out on a wc claim.

I made a decision after hearing that my life expectancy was short and to settle up my personal affairs.  I called a friend and asked for my laptop computer so I could beging working on a project.

That day I began the design of a competing product line and for the past 10 years, have been working on this project on days I feel like being someone.  I opened my own company in 1998 with clients in New York and Chicago.  Went bust in two years, after some success.  For the past couple of months, I have been redesigning my work to accomodate small companies and building a web site to market such a product line.  I expect Industrial Safety Consultants to be open for business and online by March.  I don't have time for television programs.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline Ric Wilke

• I joined AIDSmed.com 10/2002.
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2006, 09:21:46 pm »
Well, I watched my recorded episode tonight.  I will take my bumps for what I have to say, but I was not impressed.  Magic Johnson and six straight women do not make up the face of HIV/AIDS in America Today.

The many faces of this disease include those of long-term survivors like Rocky and Joe.  They also include those younger (no offense guys) who are recently diagnosed.  They also include people like me, a five-year survivor.

Oprah, you missed the boat on this one.  I thought the show lacked any substance and did not educate anyone.  Now I understand why I don't watch your show.  It's a total "Chick Show".

Oprah, if you'd like to talk to me about my feelings, please join the Forums and send me a PM.  I'd like to tell you my side of the story.

Just my thoughts, Ric

« Last Edit: October 27, 2006, 09:33:07 pm by Ric Wilke »

Offline Teresa

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2006, 10:33:12 pm »
I think the straight women do make up the faces of Aids in America. The "new" faces. Women are becoming one of the fastest growing groups to be infected with HIV. It shows that this is not just a gay or drug users disease. HIV affects everyone.

Hugs
Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2006, 11:09:40 pm »
I have to agree that women are getting infected more than men, especially in the black community. I saw this on the Primetime Special a few months back.... They said the average death from AIDS for black women is age 44, that was shocking to me considering I'm 37 now. I refuse to think that all I have is 7 good years left in me. Considering that I have been poz for 9 yrs without meds kinda makes me think I still have some time left, especially after being here and seeing posts where people are still here after 20+ yrs. LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!!! ;D
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Cliff

« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2006, 05:57:18 am »
I have to agree that women are getting infected more than men, especially in the black community.
One would think so by looking at the media.  However, it's simply not true.  Black men represent 2/3's (63-66%) of the total infections in the black community.  And the vast majority of the infections in black men are with gay/bi black men.  But no one will do a show on the AIDS crisis among black men, because they are not deemed vulnerable by society.  And gay/bi black men are invisible to the larger black community and the larger gay community.

Of the 19,000 infections (in 2004) in the black community, black men represented 12,000 of that numer.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/resources/reports/2004report/table5b.htm

Having said that, Oprah is a show owned and produced by women for women.  So it doesn't surprise me that her show would focus primarily on HIV among women.

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2006, 10:52:34 am »
I too missed the show but my feeling is akin to Cliff's. It is a chick show and from what I gather to White women who don't work.  It is part of the spin that we all have time on our "busy lives" to enjoy the simple things from a multi million dollar person.
I can't but think about when Howard Stern played repeatedly a phone call from a Black man who kept calling her " Negro woman of the South" as he complained she didn't so enough for the Black community.
Saying all that my feeling is I don't I don't care much for this "soundbite-new face of AIDS."

For one thing there is a whole continent of women dying of AIDS.
For another, while the media and politicians used HIV to spread homophobia, many women and children have died from the disease without any notoriety here before 2004.
And last the pigeon holing of people with for a  disease, which doesn't care what nationality, age, color , religion, sexual preference it wrecks havoc on.
As a White Irish gay  47 year old guy who got infected recently I am just as much the new face of HIV , just as everyone one of you are who has been recently diagnosed no matter what catergory you check when describing yourself.

My question is did anyone bring up the failure of curtailing the disease- the fact that the so called party who is pro life isn't pro our life. That this government can waste billions in Iraq, compared to what is spent on the health ( pick your disease) in this country?
From what I gather the women chosen along with MJ seem to be doing well financially, did a question of the relationship between poverty ever come up?
And did Oprah bring up the forgotten face of HIV those in prison?
Just my thoughts
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2006, 11:11:56 am »
many women and children have died from the disease without any notoriety here before 2004.

yup, without notoriety *and* high profile cases too e.g. Kimberly Bergalis, Gia Carangi, Elizabeth Glaser (and her daughter) - God rest all their souls

As a White Irish gay  47 year old guy who got infected recently I am just as much the new face of HIV , just as everyone one of you are who has been recently diagnosed no matter what catergory you check when describing yourself.

well - you're fierce in drag LOL  :D  :D (kidding- I know the avatar isn't of you  ;))

From what I gather the women chosen along with MJ seem to be doing well financially, did a question of the relationship between poverty ever come up?

Well Magic certainly. I don't know about the women.

As for financial costs of meds/poverty - From what I remember, "re-infection" got more airtime than financial costs of meds (if it was even mentioned at all) 
:(  :(
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 09:21:05 pm by allopathicholistic »

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2006, 04:08:39 pm »
One would think so by looking at the media.  However, it's simply not true.  Black men represent 2/3's (63-66%) of the total infections in the black community.  And the vast majority of the infections in black men are with gay/bi black men.  But no one will do a show on the AIDS crisis among black men, because they are not deemed vulnerable by society.  And gay/bi black men are invisible to the larger black community and the larger gay community.

Of the 19,000 infections (in 2004) in the black community, black men represented 12,000 of that numer.

http://www.cdc.gov/hiv/topics/surveillance/resources/reports/2004report/table5b.htm

Having said that, Oprah is a show owned and produced by women for women.  So it doesn't surprise me that her show would focus primarily on HIV among women.

Thanks for responding Cliff. I have no link to offer you but this was the information being given on a Primetime special a few months back....AIDS in Black America was what it was called. Peter Jennings had started the report but when he passed someone else picked up the torch. The only thing they said was that with black men in jail that it rose significantly because in some states it is not manditory to test for HIV when incarcerated. My mind is not what it use to be but I will see if I can locate that on ABC news page or something....
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline jamesjohn

« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2006, 05:21:30 pm »
I thought it was Amazing. I am so happy this finally happen. Oprah should do more about this topic. Because millions and soonier or later bilions will be living with this illness. She should have done more about accepting people with HIV because it is hard to come out for being gay, but being gay and having HIV is Harder. There should of been more talk about negative partners who love there positive partners, so all in all it was wonderful to see ms. brown and regan on the show. The show was a god send

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2006, 07:02:47 pm »
I was comforted by the face of a man from my era who still looks, and sounds like many of our brave members here.
He keeps it real, and seems not to judge.
I snored through much of the remainder of the show.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline tsw923

« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2006, 07:15:33 pm »
I have the episode queued up on TIVO and plan to really watch it later this week.  However, from what I have read and understood from what has gone on, its a great first step.  Whether we want to believe it or not, having folks sit around and talk on shows like Oprah is what we need to start getting the face of AIDS (new, old whatever) out there.    We have to crack through the old stereotypes and I think that's what Marvelyn and Regan did or began to do. 

Truly, it is only a one hour show so you can't expect them to cover every topic of importance.  There are a heck of a lot of them.  But we have to get the dialog really started.  What I would hope to see is that we get folks on other talk shows and that Oprah does a followup show to focus on other particular issues. 

For those of you that want to tell Oprah what you think, she does have a message board....
Help find a cure for leukemia, lymphoma, and other blood-related cancers by sponsoring me as I walk a 1/2 marathon as a part of the Maryland chapter of Team in Training.  To find out more and to donate, please click on the following site:  http://www.active.com/donate/tntmd/tswtntmd

Offline al

« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2006, 09:19:15 pm »
Hi, I missed the Oprah show, I wish I would have seen it, maybe next time.This is my first time, I hope someones out there. I spend a lot of time alone and thinking about living with Hiv. I love reading the answers.

Offline Jenna

« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2006, 03:16:09 am »
I applaud Oprah for realizing the extreme importance of educating people about HIV and AIDS. However, this is just the beginning. We MUST have many more shows pertaining to this raging pandemic. This is a very important issue to me as my mother was one of the very first women infected with the disease through a blood transfusion. It doesn't matter how she contracted HIV/AIDS. What's important is the shame, stigma and fear she felt. So she kept her illness a secret.

The show certainly heightened awareness. I did know 99% of what was said on the show about AIDS. I talk about it to groups of people. I feel it's necessary to help people understand that we are in the midst of the worst health pandemic the world has ever seen. I'm always amazed at the lack of knowledge people have about AIDS.

Magic Johnson cautioned people that just because he looks healthy doesn't mean that all people with AIDS are going to look like him. People have different immune systems as well as different strains of the virus. Yes, one can be re-infected by sexual intercourse with another HIV positive individual. I also agree with his statement that we have a "Little Africa" in our own country. So very true!! I'm so delighted that Oprah realized the importance of airing this show. The women must have certainly shocked people watching at home. And they NEED to be shocked and informed to save their lives.  From my experience, many people are still in the dark about AIDS. AND this is the 25th anniversary of the beginning of the AIDS pandemic. It's certainly time to talk about it OPENLY!

Hopefully, young and old listened to the wonderful women who said that they sometime did not insist on having their partner use a condom. Also, that one woman didn't know that much about HIV. This is so very sad. Our government and especially the media have not done an effective job in educating people about this heinous disease. It seems no one wants to talk about it on television for fear of offending people. This was the situation in 1981 when the disease first struck. But after 25 years, one would think that we are able to handle the straight facts about prevention. I believe the churches in the Black community can certainly reach people. They have such an important role to play. Schools are not doing enough to educate the young people. Oprah did an excellent job in discussing this subject with her guests. It's a beginning. More must be done. Being the 25th year anniversary of AIDS, I thing Oprah should have a show around World AIDS Day to recognize some of those people who  died in silence....ashamed to reveal their illness. They suffered in silence due to the social stigma of HIV/AIDS. My mother felt that way. I had to keep it a secret from friends and my own sons. She felt like a leper. No one should have to feel that way. She was 69 when she died. My elderly mother died an emotional death long before she died a physical one.

I thank Oprah for taking on the subject of AIDS in America. We have a lot of catching up to do. Great show and please keep more shows like this coming. Viewers need to be educated so more lives won't be lost to such a preventable disease.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2006, 12:58:07 pm »
I agree with tsw, let the Oprah Show know how you feel about it.   I did.

(been writing to her for years, I'm a big fan)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline MzGee40

« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2006, 05:38:22 pm »
That show was a joke, Regan and that other girl from Poz basically took over the show.

I was very interested to hear from the young lady who lives in California, to be infected all those years

and not know it!

Regan, you don't have a clue and neither does Oprah, HIV is not cute, it is a very devastating illness.

Just because you came out with your status does not make you an expert.

Where was River Huston? Now she keeps it real.

Where were the Hispanic Ladies? It is happening in that community almost as fast as the black

community.

And last but not lest...I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THE SO CALLED DOWNLOW MEN.

What about the Women who don't disclose their status? Why aren't we calling them out?

In the future I hope if Ms. Winfrey wants to tell our story, she should make the whole show about us.

But please leave out Regan and what's her name.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.