Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:39:31 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 363
Total: 365

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them  (Read 8718 times)

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them
« on: December 11, 2009, 06:41:02 am »
Well that was the 2003 book by Al Franken
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies_and_the_Lying_Liars_Who_Tell_Them
It was a great response to the increasing amount of sheer bullshit lies that we must put up with in public life, he was talking about the media, news and commentators, of course.
The quantity of lies raining out of the health care "debate" process by our own elected senators is extremely discouraging, coupled with the lies of big insurance and pharma creating phony "public action" movement to protect their business interests.  

Here's my question - since I sero-converted, and it involved a pretty skanky lie, and came after the bust op of a long-term relationship, where both my ex and his new lover where skanky lying bastards to everyone around them, and all the damage all this lying seems to cause......

I just can not deal with lies.  But we kind of have to put up with little lies everyday, going about our professional and social lives.  I teach, and the students are often lying.  Makes me really appreciate trying to create a classroom and methodology and relationship where its just not necessary.  But the school rules often force them to lie.  Colleague lie flat out to each others faces.  The other day, I got ripped off in a mobile phone scam and the phone company and the scammers lied flat out.  Lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies.  I went online to find some sex and people I know for years are lying lying lying. Or tell the truth and people lie back to you. "Friends" lie to me.  Even close ones sometimes.  Sometimes its white lies, sometimes its not.  

WTF   How do you all deal with all these lies????

Anyone know a good book about lying and society - maybe put this back in perspective for me?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 06:43:04 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline skeebo1969

Re: Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2009, 06:46:57 am »

I am here man...  I am here :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDbG02_p00A

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2009, 12:44:09 pm »

Anyone know a good book about lying and society - maybe put this back in perspective for me?

Here you go :

http://www.amazon.com/Lies-Lying-Liars-Tell-Them/dp/0525947647

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2009, 08:28:36 pm »
Thanks skeebo.  But that's the book I linked too and put in my title!  Its about political liars.
I like the serenity prayer until it gets all christian.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2009, 11:53:51 pm »
Thanks skeebo.  But that's the book I linked too and put in my title!  Its about political liars.
I like the serenity prayer until it gets all christian.

LOL I hear you mecch..however, I guess you did not see my comment on the video link I supplied.

Offline whatever1

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2009, 04:05:44 pm »
haters are goona be haters WTF, keep smiling and moving .

Offline jm1953

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 01:28:04 am »
Well that was the 2003 book by Al Franken
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lies_and_the_Lying_Liars_Who_Tell_Them
It was a great response to the increasing amount of sheer bullshit lies that we must put up with in public life, he was talking about the media, news and commentators, of course.
The quantity of lies raining out of the health care "debate" process by our own elected senators is extremely discouraging, coupled with the lies of big insurance and pharma creating phony "public action" movement to protect their business interests.  

Here's my question - since I sero-converted, and it involved a pretty skanky lie, and came after the bust op of a long-term relationship, where both my ex and his new lover where skanky lying bastards to everyone around them, and all the damage all this lying seems to cause......

I just can not deal with lies.  But we kind of have to put up with little lies everyday, going about our professional and social lives.  I teach, and the students are often lying.  Makes me really appreciate trying to create a classroom and methodology and relationship where its just not necessary.  But the school rules often force them to lie.  Colleague lie flat out to each others faces.  The other day, I got ripped off in a mobile phone scam and the phone company and the scammers lied flat out.  Lies lies lies lies lies lies lies lies.  I went online to find some sex and people I know for years are lying lying lying. Or tell the truth and people lie back to you. "Friends" lie to me.  Even close ones sometimes.  Sometimes its white lies, sometimes its not.  

WTF   How do you all deal with all these lies????

Interesting topic you brought up.  My sister lies all the time to my father, to me, I would suppose to her own family.  Generally lies always catch up with the person telling them.  Right now I'm trying to keep my distance from her and not let her hurt me or others I care about.

I guess for me distancing myself from liars helps.

Wish I had the magic answer!
Positive 29 years. Diagnosed 10/1987.  Current CD 4: 720: Viral load: almost 100.  Current drug regimen, Tivicay, Emtriva, Endurant, Wellbutrin, Clonazepam, Uloric, Losartan Potassium,Allegra, Ambien, Testosterone, Nandrolone, Vicodin, Benedryl, Aspirin, lots of vitamin supplements.

Offline staranise

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 11:00:05 pm »
visit mindglobal.org and type Rwanda health care reform. On TV last week I saw a program where Bill Clinton, Bill Gates and a Yale Professor instituted health care reform in Rwanda. They even trained non health workers to go from house yo house to check on patients daily and give them AIDS meds. They weigh the children, parents and care givers to make sure they are not wasting. Workers are able to fix their homes, grow crops, and open businesses w/ the stipend they receive. The girls and boys have their own schools equipped w/ teachers. Last, plastic and Styrofoam is not allowed in the country.

Offline whatever1

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 11:50:30 pm »
great

Offline darkerpozz

• I'll be with you in a sec...
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2010, 11:57:23 pm »
My personal thoughts on liars is to realize that may be their truth in that they can not face the real truth so they create one which eases their mind and just don't allow their lie to become your truth but know that your ability to see what lying does to a person is a powerful tool in keeping you out of their arena of lies. I guess I'm saying is look at it as a teaching blessing,just don't let it get too close

Offline next2u

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2010, 02:00:20 pm »
cause it aint easy to deal with our truth and life all the time. but eventually it is best to woman up or man up. i have found myself on the other side of the fence lately, telling white lies to protect my feelings/ego.

this is diametrically opposed to my beliefs. i have put myself in a bad place and have worked on correcting the situation by outing myself and giving more information. i have also gone back to my former ways. if i do not want to tell something i simply do not. if i care greatly about the person i ask for more time or space. if it is critical or will hurt me then hopefully i will be human enough to get hurt then get through it.

as a general rule of thumb i do not lie. unfortunately, it can be slimy and slippery and an easy way out. fuck easy ways out. i am ready to suffer the consequences of most my actions and will sleep in the bed ive made.

confessions of a recent white liar.
midapr07 - seroconversion
sept07 - tested poz
oct07 cd4 1013; vl 13,900; cd4% 41
feb08 cd4  694;  vl 16,160; cd4% 50.1
may08 cd4 546; vl 91,480; cd4% 32
aug08 cd4 576; vl 48,190; cd4% 40.7
dec08 cd4 559; vl 63,020; cd4% 29.4
feb09 cd4 464; vl 11,000; cd4% 26
may09 cd4 544; vl 29,710; cd4% 27.2
oct09 cd4 ...; vl 23,350; cd4% 31.6
mar10 cd4 408; vl 59,050; cd4% 31.4
aug10 cd4 328; vl 80,000; cd4% 19.3 STARTED ATRIPLA
oct10 cd4 423; vl 410 ;); cd4% 30.2
jun11 cd4 439; vl <20 ;); cd4% 33.8 <-Undetectable!
mar12 cd4 695; vl ud; cd4% 38.6
jan13 cd4 738; vl ud; cd4% 36.8
aug13 cd4 930; vl ud; cd4% 44.3
jan14 cd4 813; vl ud; cd4% 42.8
may14 cd4 783; vl *; cd4%43.5
sept14 cd4 990; vl ud; cd4% *
jun15 cd4 1152; vl ud; cd4% *
july15 - STRIBILD
oct15 cd4 583; vl 146; cd4% 42
mar16 cd4 860; vl 20; 44

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 04:59:35 pm »
For me lying and withholding the truth in close relationships is a betrayal, and betrayal hurts deep.

I do not cope at all well with it, time helps lessen the hurt but if I get tired/depressed I can obsess, when I have lied  my guilt makes me fess up pretty fast

It is very hard to realize that the betrayal is often due to the others weakness , lack off empathy and selfishness not just an all out attack on one.

I hate it Meech and cannot get used to it.
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 08:29:49 pm »
I hope to develop the serenity to accept those things, that I cannot change and to affect change where I can.  And the knowledge to know the difference.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.