Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:45:43 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 222
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I need a suggestion  (Read 3854 times)

Offline cd4lover

I need a suggestion
« on: March 04, 2012, 05:37:54 pm »
Hey guys, i need a suggestion to find a good book/movie to be able to fully understand the whole history of HIV and past and modern treatments.

No matter how hard it could be xD...i'm a chemist.
Last update: 20th February 2012

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: I need a suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 05:51:09 pm »
Hi CD4,

You might get more responses to this if you post it in Living With HIV which is a higher traffic forum.

MtD

Offline buginme2

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 06:16:54 pm »
Watch PBS's Frontline special called "The age of AIDS".  You can watch it online, just check the Frontline website
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline cd4lover

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 08:17:04 pm »
Watch PBS's Frontline special called "The age of AIDS".  You can watch it online, just check the Frontline website

Wow i can watch it even from Italy :D...that's awesome :O

@MtD:
Thanks for the help, but i really don't know from where to start :/...maybe also LTS section could help?

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 09:39:58 pm »
Wow i can watch it even from Italy :D...that's awesome :O

@MtD:
Thanks for the help, but i really don't know from where to start :/...maybe also LTS section could help?

Well I'll flag it for moderator review and mayhap it will be moved to Living With. Unless you diagnosed in 1996 or before you're not allowed to post in LTS.

We don't want to over-excite the old dears with our youthful exuberance. ;)

MtD

Offline cd4lover

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 10:00:22 pm »
Oh xD...i'm not going to disturb the Zeuses of HAART :P

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:52:29 am »
CD4lover, I like your username.  ;D
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline cd4lover

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 07:05:01 am »
haha ty spacebarsux

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:04:38 am »
CD4lover, I've moved your thread into Living for you. :)

I did the same thing when newly diagnosed - I read everything I could get my hands on about the early days. The first book that comes to mind is And The Band Played On by Randy Shilts. It's also been made into a movie.

I have quite a few good books, but for the life of me I cannot remember the titles or authors. My books are currently all packed away in boxes awaiting a house move, but I'll try to remember to revisit this thread when I unpack them in late April.

There are also some good online sites which deal with the history.

http://www.actuporalhistory.org/

The above link includes an interview with our very own Andy Velez, and an interview with the AIDSmeds founder, Peter Staley. Well worth a look. 

More history is available on the ActUpNY website.

Also google "history of aids" and you'll get plenty of hits.

One word of caution - you may come across books and sites published by what are known as hiv or aids denialists. They are very dangerous people who are responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people around the world. I suggest you also include the AIDStruth website in your reading so you can recognise aids denialist for what they are - liars.

Happy reading! I wish more newly diagnosed people would take the time to learn about our history, so kudos to you. :)

edited to fix broken linky
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 11:06:54 am by Ann »
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline liketheboat

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 03:09:00 pm »
I just read "And the Band Played On" I highly recomend reading it. Its a very good history of the early days of the AIDS epidemic. I also just started reading "My Own Country" by Abraham Verghese. Its an ID doctors account of the early days of AIDS in a Tennessee town. I am only about a fourth of the way thru it, but it gives a great history of it, and the human side of treating the infection.
Aaron
Memorial Day 2010 Seroconverted
Labor Day 2010 tested positive
Oct 2010 cd4 359 vl 6,500
Dec 2010 cd4 vl 306
Jan 2011 started Atripla
Feb 2011 cd4 250 vl ud
April 2011 cd4 399 vl ud
June 2011 cd4 293 vl ud
October 2011 cd4 354 vl ud
March 2012 cd4 561 vl ud

Offline cd4lover

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 03:53:41 pm »
Oh...thank you Ann and liketheboat :)

Actually i was considering to find the movie...but maybe i'll read the book prior watching the movie ^^.

Well Ann...don't worry....on April i'll send you a PM XD.
I've just finished watching Frontline's 4 hrs special...wow...extremely interesting.

Don't worry about denialism...i'm a 100% scientific person...and it's a fact that all the denialists now are "terra per i ceci"...as we say in Italy ....earth for beans :/

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 08:42:29 am »
You're welcome, CD4lover.

The AIDSTruth website I linked you to has sections that just might tickle your inner geek - there's quite detailed scientific info published there if you dig around a bit, including links to peer-review papers and studies.

I'm happy to hear you're already wise to the denialists and I love your Italian saying. I suppose an English/American equivalent would be "they're pushing up daisies". Unfortunately, they're not all pushing daisies. There remains a very vocal minority who still recruit new members - often newly diagnosed and very vulnerable people - to their ranks.

We had a forum member here a while ago who had been seduced by denialists and he paid for it with his life - just about a year ago. Very sad, very unnecessary. I feel for the loved ones he left behind, which included two young boys who looked up to him.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline cd4lover

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 09:38:45 am »
Oh well that's a pretty similar saying :D. But there is also someone which is very offensive and would fit perfectly on denialists.
I cannot believe that today in 2012, nothing (maybe just a little) has been done against these people...who are not only scamsters, since they sell unverified papers, but also criminals, since at least here in Italy (where, we all know that justice is like a broken immune system  :D) it's "Suicide assistance" and people could be jailed for many years.

Fortunately, HIV denialism here it's not too much active in the last times, maybe because people are starting to understand the truth.
Unfortunately, we costantly have bastards who exploit people weaknesses (due to more frequent illnesses than AIDS, or losses) in order to make tons of money.
One of the biggest and most recent examples here in italy, is Wanna Marchi's case...a bitch who has scammed thanks to remedies against evil eye, millions of euros from every kind of people. Rich and poor people who had suffering in common.
If you didn't buy her products, then you'd have expected a new illness, progression, or death of you or of a important person.

This people suck...especially when by convincing a person to don't take meds, you kill someone.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.