Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:44:50 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 494
Total: 495

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Question about Vitamin D levels...  (Read 4285 times)

Offline d-boy86

Question about Vitamin D levels...
« on: March 25, 2011, 09:00:55 am »
So my Vitamin D levels came back sort of low. My doctor said since I've only been positive for a year that most likely they were low before my seroconversion. She recommended that I take a Vitamin D supplement daily, however, are there any foods that work just as effectively? I rather do the natural thing, so that way my body is actually "producing" the vitamins so-to-say than just placing them in me.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Question about Vitamin D levels...
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 10:52:14 am »
I rather do the natural thing, so that way my body is actually "producing" the vitamins so-to-say than just placing them in me.

huh? 
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 12:02:50 pm »
As I understand it you can eat oily fish mushrooms in the sun shine for every meal but you will still need to add pure vitD if your body is not producing enough. It is quite common amongst HIV folk.

I suggest you goggle vit D, that will also help you with see how important it is in guarding against your bones weakening.   Leading to osteoporosis.
theyer
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline surf18

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 12:27:03 pm »
I take one little pill a day
5000 whatever they use to measure vit d
Just take the pill

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 01:00:08 pm »
15 minutes of sun will help you with your low Vit. D levels. I only have to take a supplement during the winter months.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 01:59:44 pm »

D-boy, your doctor may be right about your low levels of vit D being caused by seroconversion.   Low levels of vit-D have been linked to various autoimmune diseases which seem to sometimes manifest short-term during seroconversion.   My doc originally thought I had thyroid disease if I can remember correctly instead of HIV like I suspected.   Anyways, here's a link to some info on vitamin D.

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/are-you-getting-enough-vitamin-d
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 04:06:28 pm »
Dboy,

Check out the vitamin D thread here:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=26322.0

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 05:58:49 pm »
Vitamin D supplements are hard to get into the body.

Natural way: sunlight, proper fats (unsaturated), oily fish, eggs, decent dairy, dark greens and exercise. Plus: less/no smoking, less/no alcohol (so the boring, healthy way that applies to everyone).

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 12:13:04 am »
I couldn't get my doc to even check my levels even after I talked to him about fatigue, how most people and especially HIVers have low levels, and how Vit D has an affect on depression--among many other things.  "Experts" will give different opinions saying every cell and organ in the body uses Vit D while others say they don't really know the benefits of having higher levels or exactly how much one should have.  I remember one saying they usually just say 2,000 IU a day, because they aren't sure.     

I get different views on taking supplements.  I have had some docs tell me you can't just take the supplements alone.  Well, they will do some work, but they said you need sunlight to activate all forms of Vit D, whether you get it in food or supplements.  Others have said that isn't true.  And, some have told me the D3 supplement is the already activated form, which doesn't need sunlight.  So, I don't know.  I guess I need to start Googling and do some research.  I know I and most people say they feel better after they've been in the sun for a while.  So, I would think sunlight is a very important part in all this.     

BobF

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 12:30:28 am »
My endocrinologist has me on D3 daily to help with osteoporosis and lots of stress fractures.   Seems to help.   Good luck!

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 07:03:35 am »
I am currently perscribed  Calcichew-D3 Chewable lemon floured tablets---yum yum
t
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline d-boy86

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 10:42:25 am »
Vitamin D supplements are hard to get into the body.

Natural way: sunlight, proper fats (unsaturated), oily fish, eggs, decent dairy, dark greens and exercise. Plus: less/no smoking, less/no alcohol (so the boring, healthy way that applies to everyone).

- matt

Thanks Matt.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.