Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 01:14:10 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 159
Total: 159

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Do I need to test?  (Read 18099 times)

Offline Gummy

Do I need to test?
« on: December 22, 2007, 10:07:02 am »
Hello guys. I just want to make some inquiries about the likelyhood of infection while giving oral sex to another guy (I'm male too) during a time where I'm not sure how well my oral health was doing.

I'll try not to delve into too much detail and keep it simple. On and off I'd had bad Gingivitis which started about a month ago. I've had treatment twice but in the last month I have given Oral sex about 3 times without ejaculation into the mouth.
I'm very uncertain as to the state of my teeth at the time, because the LAST time I performed it was a day after treatment and my gums didn't seem to bleed at all and they felt quite healthy. Since then though they seem to have gotten worse, and I'm wondering if any infection could have impeded the healing process?

Funny thing is, I didn't know I was in a risk zone at the time, I feel so naive now. Just after I was finished with my last oral sex act I went into a room with safe sex info and THEN found out what I had done was (at least) low risk! To say the least I shat myself and already tried to contact ACON (lol). I know. DRAMA QUEEN.

I was just hoping if I'd be able to find a little more info hear about the amount of risk I put myself in. I called a guy about PEP that night too and explained the situation. He'd been working in that field for 20 years and felt I wasn't a candidate for PEP. Oh I hope to DEUS he's right!!! The anxiety, as you can guess is pretty extreme, but I'm holding in there.

I just hope that, in the small time that I did perform oral with less-than-satisfactory gum health, that the recievers were negative! It would suck that in the little vulnerable window I was in, the wrong virus might have just been waiting for the right moment.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Bad Gums and Oral Sex
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2007, 10:21:44 am »
OK. It's very understandable that you're concerned about this issue. Living as we are in the age of the epidemic you'd be foolish to not stay aware of the issues.

There have been a very, very few cases which have attributed transmission to giving oral as the source of infection. They have consistently been of questionable reliability. By contrast, there have been extensive longterm studies of sero-discordant couples both gay and straight where there was lots of mutual unprotected oral and always protected intercourse. Not one sero-negative partner has become infected.

Additionally, your saliva has natural and potent inhibitory elements which essentially make HIV non-viable if in fact it's even present.

Given that giving oral is one of the most common sexual activities, if it was a serious risk we would have known that long before today. Should you excercise some caution? Of course. Some consider that giving oral without ejaculation is safer and to avoid doing oral if there is problematic oral care. Here it comes down to what level of risk you are prepared to accept.

In your case I agree that instituting PEP would absolutely have been an overreaction. And I don't even see a need for testing in relation to this incident. In general we do recommend that anyone who's sexually active ought to have a full STD panel done regularly -- at least annually.

If you find yourself worrying about this incident then I suggest you get tested for peace of mind at 13 weeks and collect the inevitable negative result.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Gummy

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2007, 10:38:59 am »
Hey Andy, thanks for the reply. Just so happens I get STI results this coming Monday. And yes, I'm still going to get tested in 3 months. I'll need to do it for my piece of mind (if I haven't gotten over the paranoia).
Yes I have heard hear and there about the HIV inhibiting enzymes etc. I'm hoping they've found enough evidence or proof that they certainly do knock the HIV viruses on their collective ass in time before entering any possible entrances I may have had in my Gummy Bears.
I do know as well that the two last guys I performed oral on had also only recently ejaculated, which from my experience, maked precum with me seem much less likely (I usually stear clear of that anyway).
I tell you one thing though, the prospect of celibacy has never looked so good!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 11:31:06 am »
Well, clearly you have considered various sides of the question. I expect you to test negative when you do that in 13 weeks.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline Gummy

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 09:20:40 am »
I think I have been infected. I'm getting swelling glands on the side of my neck. HIV is the only infection to do this isn't it? It's been about 25 days since one of my encounters. I think I'm seroconverting. :(

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2007, 09:23:23 am »
No, it isn't.

Offline Gummy

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2007, 09:25:46 am »
Can any other STI's cause swollen lymph nodes?

Offline Gummy

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2007, 09:32:16 am »
Please help :(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2007, 09:47:46 am »
Gum,

ANY infection in your head/throat area can make the lymph glands in your neck swell. It is possible to get gonorrhea in your throat - but you'll have to see a doctor for a swab and diagnosis.

Whatever is going on, it's very unlikely to be anything to do with hiv. Seriously.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Gummy

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2007, 09:52:53 am »
So gonorrhea can cause lymph node swelling? I think my gums were very bad when I did fellatio :(

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 09:55:43 am »
Gummy,

ANY infection in the head/neck area can cause the lymph glands in your neck to swell. The ONLY way to find out what is causing your lymph glands to swell is to see a doctor. We cannot diagnose you here.

You need to know that constantly touching your lymph glands can actually make them swell and keep them swollen. Keep your hands OFF and go see a doctor.

Again, whatever is going on is unlikely to have anything to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Gummy

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 10:04:04 am »
So it's possible to have gonnorhea without any symptoms in the genitals?

I'm just scared because it's happening around the time you usually seroconvert with HIV.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2007, 10:13:21 am »
Gum,

You can get gonorrhea in the genital tract and/or the rectum and/or the throat. It all depends on where/what you put/put into the infected penis/vagina/anus. Gonorrhea is only one of several that can infect the throat following giving a blowjob. As this is an hiv website and not a general STI website, I'll give you some links.

http://www.dph.sf.ca.us/sfcityclinic/stdbasics/stdchart.asp

http://www.thedramadownunder.info/

One more time, the ONLY way to know what is causing your glands to swell is to see a doctor about them. We cannot diagnose you here. We can tell you, however, that whatever is going on is very unlikely to have the slightest thing to do with hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Gummy

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2007, 10:42:18 am »
Sorry about this. I'm just freaked about the coincidence of the oral sex plus when these lymph nodes appeared.

Is it normal for signs of gonorrhea to show up about 10 days after exposure?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 10:45:42 am »
Enough already. You have a concern see your doctor.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2007, 10:46:24 am »
Gummy,

Read the links I gave you. This is an hiv website, not a general STI website. See a doctor about your throat concerns. Whatever is going on is unlikely to have anything to do with hiv.

Ann
(who feels like she's repeating herself an awful lot in this thread.)  :-\

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Gummy

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 11:09:05 am »
Sorry. It just came on suddenly and it will be some hours until I get my STI results back. These nodes were a slap in the face for my peace of mind. I was doing well earlier today.

Just wondering though, with early infection of HIV, can seroconversion cause your body to take longer with healing physical wounds or cuts? Like my gums for example. Can a recent infection cause the healing process to go a bit slower?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2007, 11:20:07 am »
You're still busily focusing on the wrong things. The answer you want will come with your test result which I expect will be negative.

Cut out all this frabber jabber guessing and get busy with other things in your life. You'll be amazed at how that can work if you make the effort and how effective it can be.

Really.
Andy Velez

Offline Gummy

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2007, 12:12:43 pm »
I am? Oh ok. I guess I'll have to take you word for it for now. The people who aren't in a state of panic, afterall, think more clearly about the situation. I have seen other frightened people here with uncanny coincidences STILL testing negative.
Thanks for denying my paranoia. I can see how tired you guys must be of having to do that.

Offline Gummy

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2007, 08:09:41 pm »
Well. Got my STI results back. I've caught absolutely nothing in that regard. Zero. I've been invited back in 4 weeks to check for HIV. These lymph node thing is puzzling. Though I have heard there is a strange flu going around. Mind you I only heard that from the woman at the sex clinic.

If I haven't contacted STI's I guess I can see that as upping my chances these guys weren't even HIV+?

Offline Gummy

« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2007, 12:40:09 pm »
I dunno. Now my joints ache. I'm having that funny feeling that the people in the experiment had very healthy gums at the time of performing oral. I don't even know how well saliva inhibits HIV. I just don't have that much info. I really am hoping I have just caught some odd virus. I'm trying to weigh up the odds of WHAT is more likely. Catching HIV at a gay sauna or a rare virus out of nowhere. Grrrr my head  >:(

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2007, 12:56:26 pm »
Grrrr your head indeed! You're hanging out behind enemy lines when you're stuck in there. It's all just guesswork to no good purpose.

Get busy right now with other things. Really. And the time will pass and then you can collect what I expect will be a negative test result. Also really.
Andy Velez

Offline Gummy

« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2007, 01:16:49 am »
Get busy right now with other things.

Thanks for the advice. It's just a little difficult though when walking becomes difficult due to weak knee joints plus weakness everywhere and damn nodes that just won't go down (but have stopped hurting thankfully).

Just a question. It is true that swollen nodes due to HIV aren't painful? Mine started out painful for about the first 24 hours. And yes I have seen a doctor about it, but he didn't even bother to really FEEL the nodes that were obviously hurting a bit and simply gave Demazin for cold and flu relief. I'll admit the nodes stopped hurting after taking them and getting some sleep. Hopefully that's some kind of sign.

Pardon the intrusion again. If I was one of those people who got a blowjob from a stripper or sex worker I wouldn't be here. I'm not THAT ignorant. And I'm not a hypochondriact by nature! I'm trying hard to shut my mind off until I get my test, and I'm sure I can promise to quit worrying once these symptoms go away (I know that's a false sense of security, but that's the best I can do until test results). But while they're here, they keep reminding me of my fears. If it wasn't for them, I'd most likely have moved on by now. I wasn't even EXPECTING to get swollen nodes.

Offline Gummy

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2007, 06:55:54 am »

ANY infection in the head/neck area can cause the lymph glands in your neck to swell. The ONLY way to find out what is causing your lymph glands to swell is to see a doctor.

Thanks also for the advice. Still trying to find that special doctor to clarify what the damn thing is. STI's have been ruled out. As long it's a mystery to me I can't help but assume the worst.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2007, 07:09:10 am »
You can assume all you like you just won't be able to keep assuming it here.

Offline Gummy

« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2007, 09:54:09 am »
Ooh. Also. Where's the best and latest source I can find about the HIV-inhibiting proteins and enzymes found in saliva? I'm finding bits and pieces around the place but I'm looking for something solid!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2007, 12:02:45 pm »
You can google for any of the subjects you're interested in.

However, you'd be much wiser to spend your time staying productively busy elsewhere instead of allowing your anxiety to drive you to surfing the net and feeding your fears and uncertainty. All to no good purpose of course.

Doing that will not give you the ultimate answer that only an HIV test can.

Andy Velez

Offline Gummy

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2008, 12:57:28 am »
Honestly though. In all seriousness. There hasn't been evidence of ANYONE at all contracting HIV through like, REALLY BAD oral care?
I'll be straight with you. I didn't just have moderate gingivitis. I had a slight case periodontitis where some parts of my gums were wide open. And they still are!
You guys are honestly convinced this isn't anywhere near a risk as vaginal and anal sex? If you're right about this, I'll be quite astounded. And if I test negative, I'll accept it, but not without total and utter astonishment.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2008, 01:01:11 am »
Move on.

Offline Gummy

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2008, 10:52:28 am »
Hmmm. Well, hopefully I can do that soon. In the past couple of hours my lymph nodes have deflated HEAPS, so the anxiety's wearing off. I just hope it's a good sign  :) It at least makes me FEEL HIV-, whether I'm infected or not. I guess there's no way to prepare for a bad result anyhow.

Offline Gummy

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2008, 09:30:10 am »
Hi everyone. I'm pretty much at the 3 month mark since I first had my scare. Since my last post I haven't really experienced any anxiety about HIV.
Mostly because the second last time I saw my sexual health doctor she said it shouldn't really be anything I need to test about.
Though on my last visit, I came to see her about an STI concern. Before leaving she suggested getting tested for HIV because of the fact oral is still considered a low to almost zero risk.

What do you guys think? Am I being too complacent if I don't bother testing?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2008, 09:35:15 am »
Gummy,

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Gummy

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2008, 11:42:12 am »
In your case I agree that instituting PEP would absolutely have been an overreaction. And I don't even see a need for testing in relation to this incident.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2008, 11:54:59 am »
What your point Gummy? What Andy said is correct. You didn't fall within the guidelines of PEP.

Offline Gummy

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2008, 12:08:05 pm »
No problem.
So you think things are looking ok? Would it be ok to disregard my sexual health doc's advice and not worry about testing for HIV?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2008, 12:14:02 pm »
Reread all the replies that have been given you.

Offline Gummy

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2008, 12:26:33 pm »
*re-reads*

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2008, 12:28:58 pm »
Gummy, You have been given all the needed information. Move on with your life.

Offline Gummy

« Reply #38 on: December 24, 2008, 11:16:13 pm »
Hi guys. I'm just curious about something. I had another HIV paranoia when I was feeling funny symptoms a while back. I didn't have time to go to a proper sexual health clinic so I went to a hospital to get a blood test.
The doctor said I appeared normal and my lymphocyte count was pretty much as NORMAL as you can get.

I'm planning on getting a proper HIV check-up soon, but I was wondering if a normal lymphocyte count was a good indicator of being HIV negative?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2008, 09:02:01 am »
A good lymphocyte result is fine but it has absolutely nothing to do with determining HIV status. Only an HIV-specific test can accurately give you your status.

If you keep coming back here while you're toying with this stuff you are going to end up getting a Time Out.

As Rod said, get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline Gummy

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 06:51:06 pm »
Ok. You guys were right. After ALL of this stress and worry you were right all along!

I tested negative a few weeks ago. Sorry for bothering you guys. I didn't want to but man, this HIV fear seems to be a (mental) virus itself in a funny way. You just CAN'T seem to shake it. Lord, the stories I've heard about WORSE worried wells from my sexual heatlth doctor! Apparently I was a light-weight compared to them :P

Don't worry though. I have 100% faith in my results and was instantly 'cured' of my fear. I just thought I'd leave a few details for other WW's who may come across this thread:
Yes, you can't believe everything you read on the internet, but I thought I'd let you know that when I had my risk, I had pretty much a HOLE in my gum! My gum was even disconnected from two of my teeth! I gave oral sex twice at a bathhouse and I'm NEGATIVE. With a whopping fat capital 'N'!

Seeing how WW's can be I'm not sure if even this can be of reassurance to the more chronic types around here, but I thought I'd give it a shot, as I know how bad the anxiety can be. But even then, for the people who doubt their own negative results I'm not sure what anyone can do  :-\

Anyway. A big Thank You to the mods here. Would just like to say that, even though I'm officially negative, I haven't forgotten about this virus, or the people who live with it. I look forward to the days when HIV is truly no longer a real threat.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 08:15:57 am »
You're welcome. Of course that negative test result is just what we would have expected.

Remember to always use condoms for vaginal and anal intercourse and you'll be well protected as far as  HIV is concerned.

Time to get on with your life.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Gummy

Do I need to test?
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 09:52:50 pm »
Hey guys. I've been here before with a scare that turned out to be ok.

This time I'm just wondering if I need to test.

This time I was with a guy who was wearing a condom as I was the 'bottom' partner. He finished but as I noticed him pull out, I noticed the condom had broken.

I'm unsure when it broke. And he seemed genuinely disconcerted when it happened. He said he's also only been with 3 guys and was always safe with them. And yeah, I know that what they say isn't always truthful. I just hope it's one of those times he's right!

So does anyone think HIV was a big risk here? I'm not feeling anxious right now. But I'd like to think I'm not being too complacent either  :)

Thanks in advance people.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
Re: Do I need to test?
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2011, 07:00:12 am »
I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread. It doesn't matter how long it has been since you last posted in your thread or if the subject matter is different.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

Any time unprotected intercourse occurs, there has been a risk. So yes, you do need to test.

The earliest you can test is at six weeks, as the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by this time. The average time to seroconversion is only 22 days. A negative result at six weeks must be confirmed at the three month point, but is highly unlikely to change.

Please read through the condom and lube links in my signature line. A correctly used condom rarely breaks. The two main causes of condom breakage are not making sure there is no air trapped in the tip of the condom and not using enough lube.

Good luck with the testing. You do stand a very good chance of testing negative following this one-time incident.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.