Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:47:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 229
Total: 230

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Vitamin D  (Read 75180 times)

Offline veritas

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
Re: Vitamin D
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 11:12:11 am »
Hi,

According to my last blood test, My vitamin D was low. So, the doctor wrote a prescription for Vitamin D 50000-IU capsules.

I started today. I am to take one capsule a week, for 4 weeks, and then one capsule a month thereafter. We'll see how this goes.

Take care---Ray

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 02:30:04 pm »
One capsule a week?  I get a prescription as well, and it's 2 capsules a day (total: 1000 mg calcium, 400 I.U. Vitamin D) -- my doctor has me take it because I've been on Viread for 8 years (actually Truvada for 5 years) and Viread has the potential side effect of bone issues.  I'm curious, and concerned Ray, that if you're already testing deficient in this regard why your doctor has you on such a minimal amount when you're also on Viread like I am.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 03:22:28 pm »
Hi,

One capsule a week?  I get a prescription as well, and it's 2 capsules a day (total: 1000 mg calcium, 400 I.U. Vitamin D) -- my doctor has me take it because I've been on Viread for 8 years (actually Truvada for 5 years) and Viread has the potential side effect of bone issues.  I'm curious, and concerned Ray, that if you're already testing deficient in this regard why your doctor has you on such a minimal amount when you're also on Viread like I am.

J.R.E's doctor is right actually.

Vitamin D is fat soluble, which means it accumulates in the body. Essentially, it doesn't make much of a difference to take one large dose weekly or smaller doses daily.

A dose of 50,000 IU a week is 7142 IU per day, which is fairly high.

The R.D.A for vitamin D is 400 IU, which is what you are taking - 1/17th as much. The R.D.A is way underestimated, IMO, and certainly not enough to make up for any deficiencies caused by medications.

Without knowing your respective vitamin D levels, it's hard to know the best D supplementation dose you need to take. I had several vitamin D blood tests taken. My first one was at 12ng/ml - where normal is 30-100. This was considered a severe deficiency. I started around 800 IU/day, and it did squat. 6 months later I was at something like 13 ng/ml. I had to increase the doses gradually and get several more levels. Today I am taking about 5000 IU/day, every day of the year. My D levels are in the 40 to 65 ng/ml depending on the season. I get the levels checked at least twice a year. My deficiency is caused by several meds that I take daily : prilosec and tegretol, as well as the fact that I am very sedentary and seldom get out in the sun. If I ever get on HIV meds I may have to increase my D supplementation beyond 5000 IU.

When it comes to D supplements, all are not equal. There are several things that are helpful to know.

1) D3 is better than D2 . Most over the counter D supplements are D3 . That's because the D3 is the natural form, and the D2 needs to be converted by the body. The prescription ones with high doses like 50,000 are usually D2. So, the OTC ones are actually better !

2) For D3 supplements, the softgel forms have much better bioavailability than most tablet forms.

The D3 supplement I have settled on is from NOW foods, and is a single 5000 IU softgel that I take daily. That's the highest IU D3 supplement I could find in a single gel. A one-year supply runs me only $27 at iherb.com.

You can also buy good D3 supplements at most drugstores - just make sure to buy the softgel form. Walgreens sells some 1000 IU and 2000 IU supplements in softgel form that are usually affordable and often on sale (buy 1 get 1 free). The NOW foods 5000 IU is still a better deal, but you have to order it online. If you need less IU than 5000, just don't take it every day.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 07:26:42 am »

Had this in my mail box today ;

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/157181.php

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 08:26:12 am »

And a little more from Aidsmeds...

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_vitamind_bone_1667_17003.shtml

July 29, 2009

High Prevalence of Vitamin D Deficiency in HIV-Positive Men
by David Evans

Nearly half of a group of HIV-positive men in New York City had abnormally low levels of vitamin D—potentially leaving them at risk for developing bone problems, according to a study presented at the Fifth International AIDS Society (IAS) Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention in Cape Town.

Bone problems are a growing concern for people with HIV. This is partly because researchers are finding that people with HIV have bone problems at a younger age than their HIV-negative counterparts. In addition, people with HIV are also living to the age that uninfected people begin to have bone problems. Vitamin D is a critical part of bone health. Without it, the body cannot absorb calcium, which makes up the structure of all bones. Vitamin D deficiency is common in Northern latitudes because of the lack of sunlight during winter—the sun is a main source of vitamin D for our bodies.

To determine the prevalence of low vitamin D levels, David Rubin, MD, from the New York Hospital Queens, and his colleagues enrolled 62 HIV-positive New York City men into a study: 92 percent were on ARVs, nearly half were Hispanic, and 16 percent were black. The average age was 48, and the men’s body mass index—a calculation of weight and height—was 26.4, just slightly heavier than the normal range. A low body mass index is associated with poorer bone health.

Overall, 42 percent of the men in the study had vitamin D deficiency, with 11.3 percent having severe deficiency. After considering factors such as low CD4 count and BMI, researchers found a trend toward greater vitamin D deficiency in people who had taken non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NNRTIs), such as Viramune (nevirapine) and Sustiva (efavirenz) compared with protease inhibitors. Smoking also was highly correlated with extremely low vitamin D levels.

The authors recommend routine clinical screenings for vitamin D in HIV-positive patients. They also call for further research to explain or debunk the connection between NNRTIs and vitamin D deficiency.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline veritas

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 03:46:37 pm »

Offline AboutToStart

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 07:49:32 pm »
how low of vit D is considered a defficiency that needs be treated? I tested 30.3 (normal 32-100).. Is that low enough to get treated and if so - would a normal 400-600 iu found in an average multi suffuce or do I need the "stronger" stuff??

Offline veritas

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 06:05:03 am »

AboutToStart,

Here is a good overview about vitamine d --- a long read but worth the time. 30.3 seems low. My Doc
wanted me to be in the 50 range. To maintain that level I had to take over 1000 iu/day. Of course review with your own ID.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminD/

v

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 01:08:33 am »
how low of vit D is considered a defficiency that needs be treated? I tested 30.3 (normal 32-100).. Is that low enough to get treated and if so - would a normal 400-600 iu found in an average multi suffuce or do I need the "stronger" stuff??

You are not really deficient. You are just at the bottom range. There is no urgency to do anything. If you want to have a higher D level, in the middle of the range, you will probably want to take a bit more than 400-600 IU. Maybe 1000-2000 IU. But it varies depending on how much sun exposure you get, what meds you take, etc. You'll need to experiment with your D intake and check your level again to find what's best for you. You'll need to have your level checked again to do that.
D levels tend to be lower in the winter so that would be a good time to recheck. You might come out deficient then if you make no changes to your D intake or sun exposure.

Offline AboutToStart

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 08:17:16 pm »
what number is considered deficient then? and also - what time intervals in testing can show changes in D levels (for example: if I started taking a 400-600 iu multi vitamin or a stronger 1000-1200iu one - would one month retesting show the new level I reached or does it take longer??)

Offline veritas

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 05:35:40 am »

AboutToStart,

Some info on vit d levels:

http://www.easy-immune-health.com/Normal-Vitamin-D-level.html

Of course review with your Doc.

v

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 05:43:54 am »
what number is considered deficient then?

My Kaiser labs say the normal range is 30 to 100, almost the same as your lab which says 32 to 100 . At 30 you are really just at the bottom of the range, but not deficient.

and also - what time intervals in testing can show changes in D levels (for example: if I started taking a 400-600 iu multi vitamin or a stronger 1000-1200iu one - would one month retesting show the new level I reached or does it take longer??)

You probably want to ask your doc about it, there are just a lot of factors that affect absorption and depletion of vitamin D. I would recommend you don't wait too long for your test. 1 - 2 months may be OK. But not 6. You will need several tests to determine how much you need per day to maintain your target D level.

I was diagnosed with severe deficiency with a level of 11 back in 01/2007. I took from 800 to 1200 IU daily. My repeat test was at 6 months, in august, and my level was only at 12 ! Basically the small 800 - 1200 IU dose wasn't doing anything. In retrospect I should definitely not have waited that long to retest. My doc and I just thought the doses were OK since they were 2 - 3x of RDA, but the RDA for vitamin D is way underestimated IMO. I think vitamin deficiencies were tested by the CDC on military personnel, which must have been out in the sun quite a bit. The RDA clearly doesn't match for sedentary office workers like me !

I then switched to taking much larger doses, to about 5000 IU per day. That's what I still take right now. My highest level has been around 75, my latest one was only 44 which I thought was quite low for summer, it's the lowest level I have for over a year. I get very little sun exposure. I may switch to an even larger dose next winter.

Offline AboutToStart

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 10:23:49 am »
Thanks veritas and madbrain.. great info!!

Offline AboutToStart

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 06:52:00 pm »
Just an update:

I saw my ID Dr today and of course I brought up the Vit D issue (i.e. my blood levels being slightly below minimums). He said he wants me to start taking 4000iu a day for a month and then 2000iu thereafter. Retesting in 3 months (with routine lab work) to assess results. He also prescribed me Calcium 600 and Niacin 500 (the latter due to slightly elevated LDL>100).

Offline veritas

« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2009, 08:52:16 am »

About,

Niacin will also help to raise your HDL- good cholesterol.

http://www.bing.com/health/article.aspx?id=articles%2fgs%2fpages%2f4%2f1473-1170.htm&br=lv&q=niacin

Good luck with this. My lipids have slowly increased and I'll probably be joining you pretty soon on this regimin.

v

Offline AboutToStart

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2009, 03:21:29 pm »
About,

Niacin will also help to raise your HDL- good cholesterol.

http://www.bing.com/health/article.aspx?id=articles%2fgs%2fpages%2f4%2f1473-1170.htm&br=lv&q=niacin

Good luck with this. My lipids have slowly increased and I'll probably be joining you pretty soon on this regimin.

v

Are you taking any supps? hiv meds?

Offline veritas

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2009, 07:44:57 pm »

About,

My meds are Isentress,Prezista/Norvir,Truvada. 

As for vitamins -- a multi vitamin, vitamin d, NAC, ALA, Acetyl-l-carnitine and calcium. Will probably start Niacin do to low HDL. Also, omega 3's.

v

Offline fearless

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2009, 03:59:33 am »
why wouldn't you just get your vitamin D free from exposure to the sun?
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline veritas

« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2009, 04:45:32 am »

fearless,

During the summer is not a problem, during the winter can be somewhat tricky since I live in NE.

v

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 06:43:29 pm »
why wouldn't you just get your vitamin D free from exposure to the sun?

For me, it's because I work 11:00 pm to 7:00 AM , five days a week.  :) And sleep during the day. I get very little sun on the two days I have off. But, I guess it for the best anyways, considering all the skin cancers I've had in the past.  Can't take too many chances these days.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline veritas

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2009, 04:51:33 am »

Are we getting enough vitamin d ?   Maybe /maybe not !

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18458363

v

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2009, 08:10:33 am »

Il find out how my vitamin D is on my next blood test-  10/19/09

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline veritas

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 07:11:53 am »

More vitamin d wonders:

http://www.renalbusiness.com/hotnews/vitamin-d-improves-insulin-resistance.html

I'm beginning to wonder if 1000iu of D3/day is enough !

v

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 05:51:55 pm »

I'm beginning to wonder if 1000iu of D3/day is enough !

v

There is no single answer that works for everyone. Get your level checked and find out.
But 1000 IU is not a very high dose.

FYI, from http://health.usnews.com/articles/health/living-well-usn/2008/06/23/time-in-the-sun-how-much-is-needed-for-vitamin-d.html

"If you're fair skinned, experts say going outside for 10 minutes in the midday sun—in shorts and a tank top with no sunscreen—will give you enough radiation to produce about 10,000 international units of the vitamin."

So 1000 IU is the equivalent of about one minute in the sun under those conditions. It's really not all that high of a dose.

Offline fearless

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 01:38:46 am »
"If you're fair skinned, experts say going outside for 10 minutes in the midday sun—in shorts and a tank top with no sunscreen—will give you enough radiation to produce about 10,000 international units of the vitamin."

I'm not sure where (as in what location) they would recommend such exposure. I live about 33 degrees south of the equator and that amount of sun in the middle of the day would be way too much and lead to sunburn.
These are the general recommendations in Australia - the US is spread over a similarly vast range of latitudes. Hence I asked my question re the need for supplements as it seems so easy to get the required amount from normal lifestyle acitivities.

Vitamin D
The sun's ultraviolet (UV) radiation is both the major cause of skin cancer and the best source of vitamin D.
How much sun do we need for healthy bones?
The best source of vitamin D is UV-B radiation from the sun. UV radiation levels vary depending on location, time of year, time of day, cloud coverage and the environment.

For most people, adequate vitamin D levels are reached through regular daily activity and incidental exposure to the sun. During summer, the majority of people can maintain adequate vitamin D levels from a few minutes of exposure to sunlight on their face, arms and hands or the equivalent area of skin on either side of the peak UV periods (10am to 3pm) on most days of the week.

In winter in the southern parts of Australia, where UV radiation levels are less intense, people may need about two to three hours of sunlight to the face, arms and hands, or equivalent area of skin, spread over a week to maintain adequate vitamin D levels. In winter in northern parts of Australia, people will continue to maintain adequate vitamin D levels going about their day-to-day activities, so it is not necessary to deliberately seek UV radiation exposure.

Who is at risk of vitamin D deficiency?
Some people may not be able to access the sun exposure required to help them maintain their vitamin D levels. These groups may be at risk of vitamin D deficiency. They include:

naturally dark skinned people - who need more UV exposure to produce adequate levels of vitamin D as the pigment in their skin reduces UV penetration
people who cover their skin for religious or cultural reasons
the elderly and people who are housebound or in institutional care
babies and infants of vitamin D deficient mothers, especially breastfed babies
patients with osteoporosis.
People in these groups should consult their doctor for advice on whether they need to take a vitamin D supplement.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 01:40:31 am by fearless »
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline veritas

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 06:09:03 am »

madbrain,

I believe we are in agreement on this issue. By the way I, of course, had a vitamin test done and the reading was 50ng/ml which puts me in the optimal range. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_D

[edit] "Measuring nutritional status
A blood calcidiol (25-hydroxy-vitamin D) level is the accepted way to determine vitamin D nutritional status. The optimal level of serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D is 35–55 ng/mL (or 90-140 nmol/L); with some debate among medical scientists for the slightly higher value.[25]

For instance, a later classification is:[30]

0-14.9 ng/mL = Severely deficient
15.0-31.9 ng/mL = Mildly deficient
32.0-100.0 ng/mL = Optimal
>100.0 ng/mL = Toxicity possible "

My concern is that I'm leaning toward the belief that these values are still too low and that there is benefit to be derived from a higher vitamin d level. What are your thoughts ? The more research being done on this vitamin, the more evidence there seems to promote this belief.

fearless,

What are the ranges used in Australia ? Have you had your levels checked? I agree that outside activity is probably the best way to get the right amount of this vitamin, however, that's not always practical here.

v

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 07:51:29 am »

Quick question guys, how often do you get your vitamin D levels checked?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 08:16:20 am »
Did you get your Vitamin D level through a Nutrient Panel (I think that is what it is called)?  I asked my Dr about having a Nutrient Panel done but he was very, very hesitant because it is so expensive.  Is there another test that can be done?

Offline veritas

« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2009, 09:58:20 am »

skeebo,

I only had it done once because I was taking calcium and vitamin d for osteopenia.

GNYC09,

The entire nutrient panel is expensive and really not necessary unless you are having problems. You can have your vitamin d measured alone using a blood calcidiol (25-hydroxy-vitamin D) level. See:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003569.htm

Not a difficult test and I'm sure you can coach your  Doc to give it to you for many reasons.

v

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2009, 09:58:50 am »
Did you get your Vitamin D level through a Nutrient Panel (I think that is what it is called)?  I asked my Dr about having a Nutrient Panel done but he was very, very hesitant because it is so expensive.  Is there another test that can be done?

It was just another test added to one of the quarterly blood draws for me -- the report gave two results for:
Vitamin D 25-Hydroxy
Vitamin D 1,25 DiHydroxy
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline GNYC09

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2009, 07:00:20 pm »
Thanks for this info. I will definitely ask my doctor about this (and the pneumovax mentioned in another post)!

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 10:54:01 pm »
Did you get your Vitamin D level through a Nutrient Panel (I think that is what it is called)?  I asked my Dr about having a Nutrient Panel done but he was very, very hesitant because it is so expensive.  Is there another test that can be done?

No. I just get the vitamin D level checked specifically. My doctor never had an issue ordering that test because I take several medications that deplete vitamin D (tegretol, prilosec). I get it checked at least twice a year if not more.

Offline poz2008

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 04:55:39 pm »
Got my blood drawn last week (I go every 3 months)  Got the results today CD-4: 385 VL: Undetectable.  Started on Atripla and have been on it for 1 1/2 years.  Bloodwork showed very low Vitamin D level so Dr. wrote me a prescription for Vitamin D.
5/1/08 - PCP Pneumonia - Started Bactrim
8/1/08 - Started Atripla
11/1/08 - CD4: 200 VL: 30,000
2/8/09 - CD4: 285 VL: Undetectable
5/8/09 - CD4: 327 VL Undetectable - Off Bactrim
8/8/09 - CD4: 404 VL: Undetectable
10/13/09 - CD4: 384 VL: Undetectable

Offline veritas

« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2009, 05:56:51 am »

Offline confidentIwillbeOK

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2009, 11:45:26 am »
Per this article Vitamin D is a miracle drug!   :o  Glad I started taking it.....

Our national “health” officials (if you can call them that) are making a crucial mistake with the swine flu. Instead of ordering more vaccines, they should be recommending vitamin D supplements to the population. For less than the cost of the vaccines, we could provide vitamin D supplementation to every man, woman and child in America. We would not only end the swine flu pandemic, we would also see cancer rates plummet!

Perhaps that’s why our health authorities don’t dare recommend vitamin D — the financial impact on the cancer industry would just be too great. The vaccine makers would lose billions, and the cancer industry could lose tens of billions. Diabetes rates would fall, depression would fade away in many people, kidney function would improve and a long list of other diseases would be prevented or reversed following adequate vitamin D intake.

Vitamin D is the answer to our national health care problems. Just one nutrient, if distributed freely to everyone, could probably slash our national health care costs by one-third within five years, I believe.

Offline madbrain

• My personal site
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2009, 06:03:18 pm »
The debate goes on ---- you be the judge:

http://www.prisonplanet.com/sixty-million-years-of-evolution-says-vitamin-d-may-save-your-life-from-swine-flu.html

v

That article seems rather low on evidence. While I'm not going to knock down vitamin D - I take plenty of it myself, I haven't seen any proof that it is as efficaceous as preventing the flu as a flu vaccine. I'll take both the D and the vaccine, thank you very much.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2009, 06:43:57 pm »
That article seems rather low on evidence.

Well yeah, prisonplanet.com is a right wing fringe conspiracy theorist web site.  Like a modern day John Birch Society type place.

Offline poz2008

« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2009, 07:31:45 pm »
Just got my Vitamin D prescription of 50,000 units once a week for 12 weeks then they will check my blood level again.
5/1/08 - PCP Pneumonia - Started Bactrim
8/1/08 - Started Atripla
11/1/08 - CD4: 200 VL: 30,000
2/8/09 - CD4: 285 VL: Undetectable
5/8/09 - CD4: 327 VL Undetectable - Off Bactrim
8/8/09 - CD4: 404 VL: Undetectable
10/13/09 - CD4: 384 VL: Undetectable

Offline veritas

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 04:14:04 am »

madbrain,
Evidently, there is some anecdotal evidence it might help against the H1N1==== Canada is doing a study:

http://www.emaxhealth.com/1275/83/33165/vitamin-d-might-protect-against-h1n1-flu.html

More and more research is being done on it. I will still get the vaccine also.

poz2008,
That dose should take care of any deficiency you might have. Your doctor will probably lower the dose for maintenance. Let us know what your level is after the 12 weeks. Good Luck!

Miss P,
Do you know how to do research? Your comments are lacking substance.

v

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 08:47:19 am »
Miss P,
Do you know how to do research? Your comments are lacking substance.

On the contrary  evaluating the credibility of a source is a key component of research.  Posting links to sources without evaluating the credibility of those sources provides no added value above that afforded by a search engine. 
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline veritas

« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 08:59:36 am »

A,

Your evaluation must be backed-up by some reference.  If not, it is just your opinion and meaningless. Evidently, if you had read my second link, you would have realised that there is some validation to vitamin d and H1N1. Look beyond the obvious ! You must have missed my statement:"You be the judge".

v

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2009, 09:23:41 am »
A,

Your evaluation must be backed-up by some reference.  If not, it is just your opinion and meaningless. Evidently, if you had read my second link, you would have realised that there is some validation to vitamin d and H1N1. Look beyond the obvious ! You must have missed my statement:"You be the judge".

v

Oh come now, V.  You published a link to a source full of hyperbole.  That sort of a reference doesn't make any opinion meaningful.  The next several posters commented on the overstatements in that link. 

That there is research going on into the validity of a hypothesis does not validate that hypothesis.  Vitamin D has been the subject of many claims of improbable capabilities -- research into which of those claims might have some basis is a good thing -- but it does not imply validation.
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2009, 10:22:30 am »
On the contrary  evaluating the credibility of a source is a key component of research.  Posting links to sources without evaluating the credibility of those sources provides no added value above that afforded by a search engine. 

exactly

Offline veritas

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2009, 10:32:20 am »

A,

And where do you see that I have validated their research and statements? I am providing information on a topic that has just come to light fairly recently and enough researchers are interested to take the studies to the next level.
Of course they exaggerated the claims, however, when claims like this are made, there is usually a modicum of truth and come to find out that truth does exist based on the next level of research being done. I believe the second link validates that. Will it work ? The trials will tell.  Don't ever dismiss information outright without further investigation,  especially if the info concerns a timely topic in the mainstream.
I hope people use discretion when reading these posts and certainly make no decision until running it by their IDD. You have to be the judge as to what you read in these forums. Further research is usually needed to make that judgement.
By the way, have you ever read some of the hyperbole that comes out of clinical trials?
If you still have concerns about the level of vitamin D studies ---- try this link

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=Vitamin+D
Looks like they may not be that far off.

v

Offline Assurbanipal

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2009, 01:45:58 pm »
Hi V

Just to clarify, I think there are legitimate studies suggesting that people with HIV may suffer from vitamin D deficiency.  And personally, based on a link to a study (posted by Miss P, BTW) I went down the whole road of testing for osteoporosis and then looking for causes including vitamin D deficiency.  I was tested by my doctor, diagnosed as deficient, and am on a supplement.

There have been more studies suggesting potential vitamin D deficiency in poz folks since then.  I heartily encourage all poz people to get their vitamin D levels tested.  It's could be important for a lot of us. 

But I also think that some of the more outlandish claims should be treated more warily.  Links like the one you published encourage people to just add vitamin D for all of the (untested) good effects, regardless of whether or not they are vitamin D deficient.  And frankly, given that a test for deficiency is simple, inexpensive and can be added to the regular blood tests that poz people are getting anyway, it doesn't make sense to me to encourage people to take vitamin D before finding out whether they are deficient in it or not.

Regarding "And where do you see that I have validated their research and statements?"  sorry if you took away the wrong impression.  You had said: "Evidently, if you had read my second link, you would have realised that there is some validation to vitamin d and H1N1. Look beyond the obvious "  Your second link pointed to a study of the efficacy of vitamin D in swine flu.  My response to you said "That there is research going on into the validity of a hypothesis does not validate that hypothesis."  It was not intended to indicate any belief that you had personally validated the research and statements.

Regards
A
2014 VL UD - 48

Offline veritas

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2009, 02:29:18 pm »

A,

Peace !

I have to admit that the more I read about vitamin d, the more interested I become. I'm just not sure what the right dose is. Madbrain seems to be on the right track and I'm toying with doubling my dosage.
Well that's something I'll have to work out.

v

Offline confidentIwillbeOK

« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2009, 10:36:06 pm »
There was a blurb about vitamin D in a story about osteoarthritis today in the Globe:

...At Tufts Medical School, Dr. Timothy McAlindon, chief of rheumatology, is wrapping up a clinical trial of vitamin D on 146 patients and its potential effect on heading off osteoarthritis by building up cartilage. His curiosity was piqued after reviewing historic data from another study involving heart disease and found that patients who took higher levels of vitamin D appeared to fend off knee osteoarthritis.

Some of McAlindon’s earlier osteoarthritis research involving glucosamine and chondroitin - he analyzed 15 studies on the supplements - found mixed results.  McAlindon is focusing his research on relatively safe over-the-counter supplements to build cartilage because, he said, that’s what consumers seem to be searching for.

For his own osteoarthritis patients, McAlindon said he finds many have inadequate levels of vitamin D, so he often prescribes booster courses of the supplement.  “Vitamin D is important for bone health, but it may be important for other aspects of health,’’ he said. “You can never tell until you do that controlled, clinical trial.’’.....

Offline BM

« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2009, 11:42:11 am »
This link (and the rest of the site) might be of interest:

http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/science/research/vitamin-d-and-hiv-and-aids.shtml

BM (whose chronically inflammed tonsils have reduced in size since he started taking 4,800 I.U. vitamin D per day)

Offline tommy246

• Standard
« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2009, 02:41:20 pm »
The dr gallant /johns hopkins website says for him the most important supplements to take are vit d and calcium and says a multi vit wont do you any harm but a very high % of his hiv patients lack vit d and calcium. This guy really knows his stuff and it prompted me to get a bone density test ,vit d and calcium test ,results pending. At the same time i tested for selenium which apparently alot of us lack and testorone,i will let you know the results.
jan 06 neg
dec 08 pos cd4 505 ,16%, 1,500vl
april 09 cd4 635 ,16%,60,000
july 09 ,cd4 545,17%,80,000
aug 09,hosptal 18days pneumonia cd190,225,000,15%
1 week later cd4 415 20%
nov 09 cd4 591 ,vl 59,000,14%,started atripla
dec 09  cd4 787, vl 266, 16%
march 2010  cd4 720 vl non detectable -20  20%
june 2010  cd4  680, 21%, ND

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.