Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 04, 2024, 04:05:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773404
  • Total Topics: 66363
  • Online Today: 307
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 281
Total: 281

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: New Meds: Isentress, Truvada, Norvir and Prezista  (Read 5857 times)

Offline pozguy44

New Meds: Isentress, Truvada, Norvir and Prezista
« on: November 08, 2007, 03:25:49 pm »
Okay, I got the results back from my Geno and Pheno tests and know I am resistant to just about everything out there except for some new meds.  My Doc has me starting tomorrow (Friday) on Isentress,Truvada, Norvir and Prezista.  I'm a little freaked out about what the side effects might be.  Anyone else resistant like me?  Anyone else on this combo?  It kind of pisses me off that I was undetectable for the past 6 years (most recent combo of Epzicom, Lexiva, and Norvir) and now I'm detectable.  Hopefully (my Doc thinks anyway) with the new comb I will become undetectable again pretty soon.

Offline risred1

• My Source for Supps - www.newyorkbuyersclub.org
Re: New Meds: Isentress, Truvada, Norvir and Prezista
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 04:14:25 pm »
I asked my doc about Isentress and he did state that it is very well tolerated. code for, not as bad as the other stuff people had to take.

I can't comment on the others.

One of my complaints about Aidsmeds is that they seem to always list the same side effects, but they don't really comment on the frequency or severity of those side effects. And of course, some may have few or adapt quickly to their meds and others can't live with the problems that these meds represent. The tough thing is that you may do great on this combo or you may have issues.

Since PI's tend to be aligned with severe digestive effects, you may want to prepare your digestive track for this change. Yogurt/Probiotics, Glutamine and even Immodium may be required for the initial stages of adaptation.

good luck!
risred1 - hiv +
02/07 CD4 404 - 27% - VL 15k
10/07 CD4 484 - 31% - VL 45k
05/08 CD4 414 - 26% - VL 70k
01/09 CD4 365 - 23% - VL 65k
05/09 CD4 291 - 23% - VL 115k - Started Meds - Reyataz/Truvada
06/09 CD4 394 - ?% - VL 1200 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
07/09 CD4 441 - ?% - VL 118 - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
09/09 CD4 375 - ?% - VL Undetectable - Boosted Reyataz with Norvir and Truvada
12/09 CD4 595 - ?% - VL Undetectable - VIT D 34 - Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 06:42:10 pm »
The prescribing info for each drug has extensive tables on side effects, including frequency.

"For subjects in the PREZISTA/rtv [Norvir] 600/100 mg b.i.d. [2 x day] arm and the comparator PI arm in the pooled analysis for Studies TMC114-C213 and TMC114-C202, diarrhea was reported in 19.8% and 28.2%, nausea in 18.3% and 12.9%, headache in 15.3% and 20.2%, and nasopharyngitis [a cold or the like] in 13.7% and 10.5%, of subjects, respectively.

"In the randomized trials, rates of discontinuation of therapy due to adverse events were 9% in subjects receiving PREZISTA/rtv and in 5% of subjects in the comparator PI arm." (from the Prezista prescibing info)

Isentress - most common side effect frequencie in the table attached.

- matt

[attachment deleted by admin]
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 07:08:19 pm »
I came across an article in Positively Aware, wrtitten by Daniel S. Berger, MD, in which he states, regarding integrase inhibitors (Isentress), " there is no human homologue or enzyme counterpart of HIV integrase that exists within human cells, so integrase inhibitors are not expected to have toxicities to human cells."

If this turns out to be accurate, that's pretty amazing.

This is a link to the whole article, which has a lot of very good information overall:

http://positivelyaware.com/2008/08_05/buzz.html

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.