Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:02:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37650
  • Latest: rovipa
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773277
  • Total Topics: 66347
  • Online Today: 275
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 274
Total: 274

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: First Labs in today  (Read 3201 times)

Offline Cojo

First Labs in today
« on: July 06, 2011, 09:05:14 pm »
The wait is over. First labs came in today:
CD4  330 16% VL 181,000

Doc does not seem concerned and will do second set in early fall. I however, AM concerned! Shouldn't I be statrting meds now? Isn't normal CD4 500-1200? Help..
May 2011 - Tested Positive
June 2011 - CD4 330   16%   VL182,000 no resistance
Oct 6, 2011 - CD4 300  20%  VL 60,000
Oct 7, 2011 - start Truvada / Isentress
Nov 29, 2011 CD4 280 26% VL 54
Feb 7 2012 CD4 260 25% UD!
Mar 20 2012 CD4 400 28%
June 2012 CD4 330 26% UD
Sept 2012 CD4 450 32% UD
Dec 2012 CD4 310 28% UD
May 2013 CD4 500 32% UD
Oct 2013 CD4 460 33% UD
May 2014 CD4 360 33% UD
Aug 2014 swap out Isentress for Tivicay
Oct 2014 CD4 320 33% UD
Feb 2015 CD4 420 30% UD
Jul 2015 CD4 480 32% VL51 !!
Sep 2015 UD
Feb 2016 CD4 460 35% UD
Aug 2016 CD4 378 33% UD

Offline Jody

Re: First Labs in today
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 09:45:41 pm »
Hi Cojo, there are many fine and knowledgeable folks here on these forums to assist with any questions you may have but you don't say how long ago you had your diagnosis.  Have you discussed with your doctor that most in the medical profession believe that starting early on meds is the best way to go to keep the virus at bay.  Are you ready to begin meds and stay on a strict regimen that is required to keep the VL undetectable? And sadly it must be asked whether you have the insurance to pay for the meds or qualify for the programs available from government that do not have that unconscionable waiting list.

Good luck and be well.

Jody

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 09:49:14 pm by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:51:00 pm »
I agree with you re: concern, but a second set of results, and a resistance test, before starting treatment  is worthwhile.

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 01:02:35 am »
I agree with you re: concern, but a second set of results, and a resistance test, before starting treatment  is worthwhile.

- matt

^ what he said.  The VL is high and CD4 is medium, but not enough to warrant treatment beginning right away.  I was at much higher and lower numbers on my first set of bloods and still we waited for a resistance profile.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:19:54 am »
Doctors are always so nonchalant aren't they?  I had three sets of labs before my doc started me on meds.  The others are right.  Your numbers are not great but they aren't scary either.  Hopefully your doc ordered a resistance test and at your next set of labs you'll be ready to go. 

I know where you're coming from.  I'm sure a lot here do.  Your nervous and anxious to start.  I couldn't stand the wait.  I kept thinking something was going to happen, that the other shoe was going to drop.  Its not. 

Oh ya, yes 500-1200 is a normal cd4 count,  sorry pal but you're not normal anymore.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 10:07:35 am »
Cojo, you mentioned elsewhere that you suspect you're dealing with a new infection and those numbers are consistent with a new infection. Chances are very good that by the time you have your next labs done, you will see an improvement. Hang in there - you do have time to wait and see what happens in time. It's all about the trends, not one single result.

It's still a good idea to have the resistance test done now, so you're prepared either way.

You're going to be ok, really you are.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Cojo

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:15:55 am »
Thanks again folks for your replies and assurances.
The part I don't understand Ann is how the numbers may get better in next labs when I am not on any meds yet? You are correct that I believe it to be a recent infection.
May 2011 - Tested Positive
June 2011 - CD4 330   16%   VL182,000 no resistance
Oct 6, 2011 - CD4 300  20%  VL 60,000
Oct 7, 2011 - start Truvada / Isentress
Nov 29, 2011 CD4 280 26% VL 54
Feb 7 2012 CD4 260 25% UD!
Mar 20 2012 CD4 400 28%
June 2012 CD4 330 26% UD
Sept 2012 CD4 450 32% UD
Dec 2012 CD4 310 28% UD
May 2013 CD4 500 32% UD
Oct 2013 CD4 460 33% UD
May 2014 CD4 360 33% UD
Aug 2014 swap out Isentress for Tivicay
Oct 2014 CD4 320 33% UD
Feb 2015 CD4 420 30% UD
Jul 2015 CD4 480 32% VL51 !!
Sep 2015 UD
Feb 2016 CD4 460 35% UD
Aug 2016 CD4 378 33% UD

Offline funkycj

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 10:25:35 am »
dont worry to much if you were recentley infected the VL will appear much higher while it is beginning to take over your immune system, its should level out hopefully by your next bloods , i was diagnosed in 2008 and am only just starting meds , but i do have a decent CD4 and VL i have just been getting viral infections constantly for a year so am starting treatment to improve my immune system to fight of the opurtunistic infections, try not to worry to much i know its harder sed than done and try and read up so you fully understand HIV and how it works, gud luck at your next labs
Until the rainbow burns the stars out of the sky
Until the ocean covers every mountain high
Until the day that eight times eight times eight is four
Until the day that it's the day that I'm no more
Did you know that true love asks for nothing
Their acceptance is the way we pay
Did you know that life has given love a guarentee
That last through forever
Another day

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 11:03:05 am »
Cojo, numbers like yours are very typical in a new infection. In time (typically within six months or so), your body will adjust and your numbers should improve on their own. This is what happens for most people.

Some can go for years without needing meds because their body does a good enough job of controlling the virus on its own. I'm one of those people - been poz for fourteen years and I'm not yet on treatment, but probably will be in the next year or so (although come to think of it, I've been saying that for about two years now already).

A small percent of people will need treatment within a couple years of being poz. A larger percentage can go around five to ten years without needing treatment, and a small percentage can go for years and years. Some people also turn out to be Long Term Non-Progressors (LTNPs) or Elite Controllers and never need treatment.

The thing you really need to keep in mind for now is that it's all about trends over time, not just one single result on its own. Hang in there, it gets easier in time.

If you haven't already, I urge you to check out the Lessons section of this website. They're written in plain, easy to understand English and contain a wealth of information. Go easy though, you don't have to learn everything all at once. If any questions arise while you read, please feel free to come back into the forums to ask.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.