Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:14:25 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 590
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 582
Total: 582

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: tomorrow (6/14/2006) in la: ahf social marketing public forum  (Read 7078 times)

Offline rk@aids-write.org

• aids-write.org
chers—

tomorrow in la: ahf social marketing public forum

kearns to speak on panel, offer open poem & propose yearly prevention anthology, “the state of aids” to the june,14, 2006 ahf-hosted community forum / discussion about the social marketing campaign “hiv (not fabulous)” at plummer park from 6-7:30 pm (324)

http://aids-write.org

i.

had a boyfriend.

what catch of phrase
what diaper
what dance
what social marketing
would have saved
his bluer-than-sky eyes?

hiv hurts?
he knew already

aids will kill you?
aids always kills someone else

goodbye. i love you
how dieth the wise man? as the fool

i say
die responsibly

ii.

my name is richard kearns
i am a gay man
living with aids in
los angeles

do you deserve to know?
why?

do i deserve to know?
are these just deservings?

what is it we know
when we know?

what does it mean to have aids?

aids. i said the word
you say
not me not i not here not now not ever no--
i will die of something else
before i die of aids
anything else
i said it too

it changes everything
& nothing &
makes our blue eyes
brown, don’t it?

iii.

does it kill?
do you kill?
have you killed?
have i?
do i know?
can i know?
once i know
will i hurt?
how will i
account it?
whom shall i
blame?

meanwhile
are we
killing
each other?
am i
killing you?
will you
kill me?
shall we
kill the ones
we’re with?

how do
we love?
with
what-colored
eyes
do we see?

position staqtement

ultimately, i’d say the ahf “hiv (not fabulous)” campaign was flawed and inadequate to our needs for hiv prevention, but was a start in the right direction. i applaud it. however, stopping the spread of aids is not like running an initiative campaign or selling chewing gum. ultimately, this is social medicine. if it were pills, we’d see if the negative side effects outweighed the benefits.

stigma is a horror. so is new infection. the same horror. not either/or. that’s a problem with ads that unintentionally stigmatize hivers. that’s a problem with ads that are not brutally and unflinchingly honest in warning the uninfected.

my conclusion from the discussions during and after the aids-write.org politics & poetry forum in january: the most effective prevention program is one that supports a one-on-one prevention effort. one that informs one-on-one prevention. one that encourages the infected and the uninfected to work together.

i recommend ahf commission, compile, select, edit, produce, advertise and distribute a yearly multimedia anthology, “the state of aids in los angeles & the world,” with contributions from regionally-, nationally- and internationally- known writers, thinkers, visual artists, journalists, scientists, musicians, physicians, clinicians, researchers, public health policy officials, community leaders, ngos and whoever else is willing to tell his or her story of life with hiv/aids. give the public an accessible knowledge base of our experiences.

it would be the new aids quilt, commemorating not our deaths, but our lives. stopping the spread of the disease by making our experiences with it part of the cultural landscape.

i am a practicer of cultural activism, so to me, the ahf social marketing campaign represents a significant opportunity to dramatically improve the character and effectiveness our current prevention enterprises by telling our stories. we need to change minds and move hearts. that won’t happen because of statistics or court orders or legislated morality or self-righteous outrage. our stories of our lives with hiv/aids are much more powerful tools for social change than mere political confrontation. take a look at my blogsite, http://aids-write.org.

hope that’s clear and short enough. ok for off the top of my head. i suppose i’ll use it with the post of my poem for the forum tonight.

looking forward to this. catch you later.

rk

the unconfirmed list of panel members deya forwarded on the internal document includes:

Moderator – Deya Smith-Starks
Panelists:
• Michael Weinstein, AIDS Healthcare Foundation President and Founder
• Karen Mall, Director, Director of Prevention and Testing
• Les Pappas, President of Better World Advertising
• Gil Mangaoang, Spokes model HIV (not) Fabulous Campaign
• Duane Cramer, Campaign Photographer
• Richard Kearns, Community HIV Advocate

i will post her confirming document when i receive it.

hope to see you there.
–lyr
dark and bright
deep and clouded
sinister and resilient
sung and un
piece by piece
picture the truth

http://aids-write.org

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.