Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:20:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37614
  • Latest: bondann
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772947
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 741
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 513
Total: 515

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Poll

Will there be a cure?

Yes, in the near future
73 (37.6%)
Yes but not in the next 5 years
26 (13.4%)
Yes but not in the next 10 years
33 (17%)
Yes but not in the next 20 years
14 (7.2%)
Yes but not in the next 30 years
6 (3.1%)
Yes but not in the next 40 years
2 (1%)
Yes but not in the next 50 years or more
12 (6.2%)
No
16 (8.2%)
No Idea
12 (6.2%)

Total Members Voted: 194

Author Topic: Do u think HIV/AIDS will ever have a cure?  (Read 100296 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Do u think HIV/AIDS will ever have a cure?
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2007, 04:02:28 pm »
Wow, I missed that too.  I'd just as soon be six feet under than have my orgasm taken away.  I mean really -- what the point?

testify!  hell, i wouldn't even want just the CUM to be taken away- even if we still had the big O.

but i'm nasty like that, so...
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline a2z

« Reply #151 on: September 06, 2007, 07:37:02 am »

testify!  hell, i wouldn't even want just the CUM to be taken away- even if we still had the big O.

but i'm nasty like that, so...

Yeah I was just referring to the cum as opposed to the orgasm.... I didn't always ejaculate when I had orgasms for the first few years I had sex.

Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline a2z

« Reply #152 on: September 06, 2007, 07:40:10 am »
Wow, I missed that too.  I'd just as soon be six feet under than have my orgasm taken away.  I mean really -- what the point?

Anti-ejaculate, not anti-orgasm.  ;) 

Condoms are ultimately the answer, but I'm sure there are some places (like say...prison) where I can see such an idea cutting down on the HIV infection rate.

But then again, I'm not a scientist.
Dates are blood draw dates:
3/12/15: CD4 941, 36.4%, VL UD
9/4/14: CD4 948, 37.9%, VL 150
5/23/14: CD4 895 --.-% VL UD - Truvada/Isentress
09/21/09: CD4 898 27.0% VL 120 - back on track, same meds.High level enzymes, but less so
06/15/09: CD4 478 21.8% VL 1150 - high liver enzymes... looks like I may not be resistant
05/22/09: Fixed insurance, resumed medicine
04/17/09: Ran out of medicine, could not resolve insurance problems
04/01/09: CD4 773 28% VL 120 - high liver enzymes
12/01/08: CD4 514 23% VL 630
10/17/08 started Reyataz, Norvir and Truvada. -- possibly minor neuropathy, but otherwise okay.
9/10/08: CD4 345 17%, VL > 78K
8/18/08: CD4 312 18%, VL > 60K (considering meds)
12/19/07: CD4 550 28% VL > 100K (no meds yet)
Diagnosed 10/23/07

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #153 on: September 06, 2007, 07:42:03 am »
a2z,

I don't want to seem disrespectful, but are you HIV positive?

MtD

Offline dico

« Reply #154 on: November 02, 2014, 04:32:02 am »
it is funny to see that back in 2007 majority of forumers thought there will be a cure within 5 years...

Now that we will enter 2015, we know there is no clinical trial yet of therapeutics that has shown success in preclinical trials...

But 3 clinical trials are of some importance :
- Andrieu's vaccine (nearly 100% monkeys protected)
- Picker's vaccine (60% monkeys protected and 50% completely cleared of HIV)
- Baltimore's VIP vaccine (100% monkeys protected)

The first trial will begin in February/March 2015
The second trial will begin sometime in 2016
The third trial will begin sometime in 2015

the Phase I results will not be known before 2016/2017...

So back in 2007, people were really optimistic lol
And maybe us too we are...

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #155 on: November 02, 2014, 07:09:42 am »
A majority is more than half. The poll you revivified out of its grave was 39.5% for "within the the next 5 years."
177 members voted. That was far from enough to say the poll represented the total number of Forum Members, let alone the opinion of such.

Happy Halloween!   ::)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 07:19:57 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline dico

« Reply #156 on: November 02, 2014, 08:00:05 am »
A relative majority yes and not far from an absolute majority

Offline zach

« Reply #157 on: November 02, 2014, 08:09:31 am »
yes, though not soon. i'm won't holding my breath, but i'd welcome it when it gets here

don't spin the numbers, it's not necessary

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #158 on: November 02, 2014, 08:22:47 am »
I predict there will be a cure by 5 central time this very eve ! I have been wrong before though .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #159 on: November 02, 2014, 08:32:45 am »
So back in 2007, people were really optimistic lol
no, that's simply the incorrect conclusion based on those choices. The results of that poll we took just showed how under-educated HIV positive people were (and still are IMHO) as to how drugs are created, tested, approved, and eventually marketed. Anyone looking at the status of trials in 07, especially with a minimal understanding of the drug-manufacturing process, should have easily understood that another decade would go by before anything like a cure might have become marketable - and that it would only happen in a best case scenario.

Frankly looking at the the progress today toward potential candidates for a cure or vaccine, and trying to predict an unknowable future, I would bet that we're probably still a decade away . . . at least.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline dico

« Reply #160 on: November 02, 2014, 10:08:41 am »
And what about creating another thread with the same poll ? I dont know how to do that

It will be interesting and within 5 years another new pozie will come and say "look at how optimistic people were..."

It's like a circle.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #161 on: November 02, 2014, 11:39:59 am »
let's not and say we did
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Ptrk3

• Global Moderator
« Reply #162 on: November 02, 2014, 11:53:24 am »
Or do and say we didn't :o

By-the-bye:  haven't seen much from Irish lately.  Are his knickers in a twist over the scolding he go a couple weeks back?  I do miss his posts, though.  He is a unique spirit.  Irish, come back.
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline absopozilutely

• Love to chat/text/talk/encourage!
« Reply #163 on: November 02, 2014, 04:04:37 pm »
Or do and say we didn't :o

By-the-bye:  haven't seen much from Irish lately.  Are his knickers in a twist over the scolding he go a couple weeks back?  I do miss his posts, though.  He is a unique spirit.  Irish, come back.
Irish sends his regards ptrk, however he will not be returning due to said knickers. Lol.
12/18 Infected
2/4 12:22pm tested POZ via ORAquick
2/19 WB Confirmation
2/4-2/19 VL 104,678 CD4 407
3/2 Genotype back, and Started Complera
4/2-CD4 688 38% and VL 1,600
5/1-CD4 592 42% and VL 336
5/22-CD4 732 31% and VL 109 :( STILL NOT UD!
5/31 Switched to Stribild :( I'll miss you Complera!
6/19 CD4 508 35% and VL UD!!!!! Crying at work like a baby.
9/19 CD4 799 46% VL UD yayyyy
5/1/19 CD4 1100 VL still UD.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #164 on: November 02, 2014, 04:31:49 pm »
Do I think there will be a cure for hiv: yes

Estimated time of arrival: 25 years

I'm not really worried about it.  If there is, there is.  If there's not, there's not.  It's not the end of the world, anymore...used to be.

I kind of consider arv's to be the cure.  They do the job.  Only thing a cure will do is let me stop taking them.  But if my quality of life is good taking them, the benefit of that is minor.

I am looking forward to a monthly injection.  That would be convenient if you could do it yourself. 
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline dico

« Reply #165 on: November 02, 2014, 04:54:51 pm »
The question is do drugs eliminate hiv transmission ? No

So a cure is needed

Offline mecch

« Reply #166 on: November 02, 2014, 05:07:14 pm »

So a cure is needed

Hello? Treatment as prevention have you heard of it?  Done correctly it works. 

Listen its fine to be hopeful for a cure AND in the meantime we got to get on with living.

A cure for HIV is not a panacea for living a good life.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline buginme2

« Reply #167 on: November 02, 2014, 05:13:25 pm »

So a cure is needed

Where have you been?  Yeah they do

Offline dico

« Reply #168 on: November 02, 2014, 06:23:56 pm »
Wow. Some people think that the negative partner will take Prep all its life to fuck with his poz partner. which world are you living in ? Who can afford to buy Truvada every month ? Prep is not free in the great majority of country. And what percentage of people will accept to live with a pozie and take Prep all their life ?

Second, majority of infected people are not able to take ART because it is too expensive. So a vaccine could save lots of lives. let's not forget them.

Third, we are not sure if there is really zero transmission with an undetectable poz . What we know for sure is that it happened in the past and even undetectable elite controllers have transmitted the virus.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #169 on: November 02, 2014, 06:30:38 pm »
Wow. Some people think that the negative partner will take Prep all its life to fuck with his poz partner. which world are you living in ?

PrEP is very effective
Wow. Some people think that the negative partner will take Prep all its life to fuck with his poz partner. which world are you living in ? Who can afford to buy Truvada every month ? Prep is not free in the great majority of country. And what percentage of people will accept to live with a pozie and take Prep all their life ?

Second, majority of infected people are not able to take ART because it is too expensive. So a vaccine could save lots of lives. let's not forget them.

Third, we are not sure if there is really zero transmission with an undetectable poz . What we know for sure is that it happened in the past and even undetectable elite controllers have transmitted the virus.

Many insurance plans do pay for PrEP ... it’s not the end all but an important tool in the arsenal .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #170 on: November 02, 2014, 06:35:13 pm »

Treatment as prevention is HAART for HIV+ people.   The HIV - sex partner DOESNT NEED TO TAKE PREP. 
HELLO?

PREP is a slightly different set-up.  Nobody is counseling people in sero-discordant relationships to take PREP for the rest of their lives....

May I ask what country you live in so I can know the context of your statements about the price of treatment and access.   Where is this majority of people who cannot take treatment because of cost?  USA?  Or, where? It would help all - some specifics, will help us understand your reasoning.

You are throwing a LOT of diverse issues into this soup of a justification, you realise that?

And have you seen the price of the HEP C cure.  Don't count on an HIV cure being an exception to the rule, and freely available to everyone around the world.

Offline zettainaoru

« Reply #171 on: November 02, 2014, 08:49:21 pm »

Just adding information.
Latest research said that its effective to take Prep only 2 days before and 2 days after having unprotected sex.

Offline Giancarlo

« Reply #172 on: November 03, 2014, 03:59:24 am »
Last July UNAIDS issued a report in Melbourne in which they describe their strategy to end the AIDS epidemic by 2030.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/07/16/us-health-hiv-unaids-idUSKBN0FL0RX20140716

This strategy does not involve a vaccine, or a cure, because nothing such is available right now and we have no guarantee that it might become available in the near future.
So, their strategy is only about providing a wider access to effective antiretroviral therapy (ART).
Thanks to ART:
- no more HIV transmissions
- no more HIV+ persons progressing from HIV to AIDS

If this strategy proves effective, I don't think that finding a cure or a vaccine will be a priority anymore, as it was in the last decades. So I'm afraid that there will not be a lot of funding for this kind of research.
Although I would love to be cured someday, I am afraid that it might never happen, unless someone makes a big discovery "by chance" in the next 5-10 years.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #173 on: November 03, 2014, 08:03:08 am »
I think dico was referring to resource poor countries in his post, where we must remember the majority of new infections (and old) are always going to be.

35 million cases globally, only 2.5 million of those are in resource rich countries. Basically PrEP is irrelevant in that context. However this will change eventually once the patent expires globally, but I've read that will not happen until 2021 for Truvada.

edit: August 2013 FDA approved a generic Truvada for use outside of the US-only under PEPFAR due to shift in WHO treatment guidelines/cd4 threshold. Still, it remains to be seen how this would apply to PrEP in such settings.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 08:08:12 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Almost2late

« Reply #174 on: November 03, 2014, 12:54:45 pm »
I am looking forward to a monthly injection.  That would be convenient if you could do it yourself.

Yes!.. Even better, once every three months to coincide with the doctors visits :)

Offline mecch

« Reply #175 on: November 03, 2014, 01:31:14 pm »
I think dico was referring to resource poor countries in his post, where we must remember the majority of new infections (and old) are always going to be.

35 million cases globally, only 2.5 million of those are in resource rich countries. Basically PrEP is irrelevant in that context. However this will change eventually once the patent expires globally, but I've read that will not happen until 2021 for Truvada.

edit: August 2013 FDA approved a generic Truvada for use outside of the US-only under PEPFAR due to shift in WHO treatment guidelines/cd4 threshold. Still, it remains to be seen how this would apply to PrEP in such settings.

Here is my motivation for my posts in this thread.

I perceive Dico to have high anxiety about living with HIV. (true or false I don't know) 

Some of us have poked at the reasons he (she?) maintains this anxiety - because I guess we think it might be a good idea to come down to earth.

Dico mentions a number of "rationales" for why the Cure is so important - but these seem to show insufficient awareness of the current facts about living with HIV.

My impression is that a lot of Dico's "arguments" are free-floating, anxious-making "rationalisations", but not based on reality.

I wonder the real reasons? If its due to unnecessary fatalism about HIV then its a pity.

Dico you can think what you want or feel what you want.  And it might be best if you could educate yourself enough to know when your "rationalisations" -- taken from the "general experience" don't hold water. Are they used to justify your anxiety - which is based on what, exactly?  Better to search within for why: this high anxiety (if that is what you have - I dunno) and this over-investment in the cure.

As far as "most HIV+ people in the world are too poor to have treatment" - I think this is an old truth, but now threatens to be a stereotype because it seems in very recent years this is changing (has changed) quite a lot.   

Some people in developing countries list the combos available to them, through national socialised schemes - and its not always the old "crappy" meds anymore.  Also, intense roll-out of sponsored treatment in the very poor nations.

So its probably best to not cling to old "images" that only make the HIV epidemic and the fight to end it seem more hopeless or negative than it is. 

As other members have pointed out, there are plans to END the epidemic NOT based on the availability of a cure.

finally this one particular justification or rationalisation, ("we need a cure for HIV because most people are too poor to afford treatment)  if held by a member of a rich nation, seems to have a LOT OF PROBLEMS attached to it.  Do I need to go into them?

Dico of course I don't know what country you are from so I am not assuming anything.

Finally - I know that poverty and unequal distribution and access to health care is a problem in the HIV epidemic.  But let's just not assume anything who is poor and who does and doesn't have something, and make generalisations based on.... anything but facts...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 01:45:45 pm by mecch »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #176 on: November 03, 2014, 03:23:44 pm »
Meech, all that may be true but is this board a form of the Inquisition? If dico isn't willing to engage in a discussion of such matters then what is the point? I agree it's an important topic to bring up with someone, but to do it over and over and over serves no purpose. If and when he realizes that's what he's been doing the damage will be so great he/she will only benefit from engaging a professional therapist, not people on a message board with no training in such things.

Offline buginme2

« Reply #177 on: November 03, 2014, 06:10:34 pm »
Meech mentioned this and I think it's probably the most important aspect of this discussion.  The END of the hiv epidemic is already in the works with the current treatment and prevention methods in place.

Treatment as prevention, prep, pep, and safer sex practices combined with increased testing have a real chance in ending hiv.

Hillary Clinton and President Obama have talked of it among many others.  Ending the hiv epidemic may have nothing to do with a cure.

If the epidemic is over, is a cure even necessary? 

Offline mecch

« Reply #178 on: November 03, 2014, 06:14:55 pm »
Meech, all that may be true but is this board a form of the Inquisition? If dico isn't willing to engage in a discussion of such matters then what is the point? I agree it's an important topic to bring up with someone, but to do it over and over and over serves no purpose. If and when he realizes that's what he's been doing the damage will be so great he/she will only benefit from engaging a professional therapist, not people on a message board with no training in such things.
Agreed.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.