Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:13:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 240
Total: 241

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pfizer HIV tablet gets approval  (Read 5088 times)

Offline Markmt

Pfizer HIV tablet gets approval
« on: August 07, 2007, 04:46:04 am »
NEW YORK (AP) - Pfizer (NYSE:PFE) Inc. said Monday the Food and Drug Administration granted accelerated approval to the company's oral HIV medicine Selzentry.

Accelerated approval is given to medications that provide a meaningful advantage over existing treatment for life-threatening diseases. Pfizer said more long-term data will be required for 'traditional' approval of the drug.......

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/AFX-0013-18699618.htm
"Live to love and love to live."

Leo Buscaglia

Offline ronaldinho

Re: Pfizer HIV tablet gets approval
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 10:41:24 am »
So, this makes Selzentry the first entry inhibitor to be approved since Fuzeon, a long time ago. Next in line for approval are the integrase inhibitors. Maturation inhibitors will take a little longer. New medicines, new classes of medicines. Le us see  what kind of therapies will be possible with this arsenal of ARVs.

Offline JamieD

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 12:20:31 pm »
How do you know if you will benefit from a CCR5 receptor antagonist (Is that what they are?)? Which people are most likely to benefit from them? Those recently infected? Treatment experienced? I thought it was going to be called "Celestri"

Offline JPinLA

• Cheers!
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 03:07:38 pm »
Jamie-

My understanding is that this drug is currently approved for treatment experienced HIVers (or at least those with multiple drug resistance, which is predominantly those who are treatment experienced)..although I think that it's use in treatment naive subjects is being explore.  I might be off on this, but I'm pretty sure. 

If you are a candidate, you can have a tropism test done to see if your virus is CCR5 tropic, CXCR4 tropic or dual tropic.  You can find more info on the drug here:     http://www.aidsmeds.com/archive/maraviroc_1629.shtml.

Over all, it's a great new therapeutic, with it's own sets of limitations, but anothe rto add to the arsenal.

JP
11/06 - Diagnosed - VL/5784 & CD4 326
2/07 - VL/6000 & CD4 290 2/07
3//07 -Began Truvada/Viramune 
4/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 320 22%
7/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 286 22%
11/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 302 26%

Offline trellium

• stArk raving Borg
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 03:13:18 pm »
Monogram's HIV Co-Receptor Tropism Assay is used to determine the tropism of the virus.
http://www.trofileassay.com

Maraviroc will only work as long as your virus is CCR5-tropic.  It is not yet approved as a starting first-line therapy for treatment-naive patients but that might change 'cos studies have shown that 80-85 percent of people newly diagnosed with HIV and previously untreated with HIV therapy have dominant CCR5-tropic virus.  This drops to 50-60 percent in patients who have been treated before with HAART. 

IAS: Maraviroc slightly less effective but more tolerable in treatment-naive patients (compared to Sustiva)
http://www.aidsmap.com/en/news/4646E7C1-BBAF-4255-BCE8-6E4F6AD8AB2B.asp

Brand name is Celsentri in Europe, and Selzentry in the US

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 10:01:33 pm »
I didn't like where it said, Pfizer also warned that studies counted more cardiovascular problems, including heart attacks. But if you are at the end of your treatment options I believe I would take the risk. 

Offline powerpuff

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 02:34:04 pm »
so if your duo tropic you can'tbenifit from this drug. what else are your options??

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.