Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:04:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 236
Total: 237

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Does anyone here bodybuild?  (Read 10269 times)

Offline jtgymguy

Does anyone here bodybuild?
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:26:42 pm »
i lost over 100lbs and i hpe to do my first bodybuilding competition in 2013!

Offline keat85

Re: Does anyone here bodybuild?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 02:26:51 pm »
To make the muscles strong and prominent  it necessary to do the workout as much as you can. If someone is in the initial stage and just start doing workout to make the muscle then it should do lite weight and for few day to make it's stamina for the heavy weight.

Offline surf18

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 08:42:08 pm »
Lift in a rep range of 8-10 for best muscle gain. When the weight becomes difficult at 10 but not complete failure (don't go to failure) then up the weight and shoot for 8 reps.
There is lots of programs out there to do. Push/pull, full body, or body part split. As a newbie I feel full body is best to start out on and then follow a split.

Offline surf18

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 08:43:36 pm »
Full bodies are done 3 times a week, working one exercise for every muscle. Never lift consecutive days when following a full body. So you could do like a mon, weds and friday. Do other stuff on the other days, boxing ,cardio whatever. Stay active.

MilburnCreek

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:32:10 am »
jtgymguy,  I am a bodybuilder.  Would be happy to chat with you.  Will not give you ANY advice without knowing alot more about you though, such as Age, Stats, general Health issues, and goals.  After all, *ALL* advice on bodybuilding MUST be based on those preliminaries.  I work out a lot differently now than I did a few years ago, and WAAAY different than when I was in my 30s (I'm 53 now).  But if you'd like to share a bit more about who you are, where you're at, and where you wanna go, I'd be happy to chat with you, online or through pms.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:25:32 am »
I'm curious.  When did "fat on steroids" become a new definition for "bodybuilder"?  Just wondering.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:35:46 am »
I think it was yesterday at Yesterday at 09:32:10 PM . I would be happy to discuss your curiosity Rev . Moon but I must first know allot more about you first , until then I wont discuss ANY thing about your curiosity . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 07:06:59 pm »
I'm curious.  When did "fat on steroids" become a new definition for "bodybuilder"?  Just wondering.

LMAO

Between my Mexican Food binges I'm a body builder, and I will be glad to discuss my regimin with anyone.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 07:29:59 pm by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 07:20:44 pm »

Must be like all those men with swimmer's builds and 8" online.

LMAO

Between My Mexican food binges Im a body builder, and I will be glad to discuss my regimin with anyone.

I certainly hope your regiment includes something to regulate those lipids.

don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 08:05:12 pm »
LMAO

Between my Mexican Food binges I'm a body builder, and I will be glad to discuss my regimin with anyone.

Me, too.  I'm concentrating on building my midsection these days.

ROTFLMAO.

Seriously, girl!  She's taking everything but vitameatavegamin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AZK2-Tfc84
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 08:06:58 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

MilburnCreek

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 11:10:59 pm »

Is it really important to be antagonistic when I'm simply trying to become a member of this online community?  I have only answered questions openly and honestly, and some use that as an occasion to be catty and unnecessarily nasty.

How about we just coexist and embrace the fact that what we have in common is our desire to kick HIV's ass?

MilburnCreek

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 11:17:48 pm »

Left: May 31, 2012 (went from 225 lbs to 180 by Sept 1, purely through cardio & diet)

Right: Nov 20, 2012 (Increased to 200 pounds, weightlifting w/ supplementation.)

Offline RWR

• if You think You can’t you can’t
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 12:46:58 am »
Hey Melburn You look good.  I am doing kettlebells and loving it three hours a week.  Also doing Brazilian jiu jitsu two times a week and loving it.   Am sore sometimes.  Am taking oregano oil two times a day in a capsule to keep me from getting staph from the mat.   Keep up the good work.

Hugs Bobby
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

MilburnCreek

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 08:29:29 am »
Our gym just got some of those kettlebells, and I've watched some guys use them but I havent done so myself yet.  I'm too afraid I'll screw up and end up throwing one through the window or hurting myself! LOL!

Offline RWR

• if You think You can’t you can’t
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 09:34:00 am »
I started with a weight smaller than the girls. In a short time moving up.  It is intense being done by a certified. Instructor. I am the second oldest in class.  The oldest is 68.  He goes from that class to a advanced jujitsu class.  I admire Him. 

Hugs Bobby
Hiv+ 1986

Bobby

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 10:12:48 am »
I don't work out and my body looks better than what I'm seeing here. Maybe we just need to see more visual proof. I know you girls can come up with something.

That said, in my younger days when I religiously went to the gym five days a week with a rigorous routine, my nickname was Barbara Biceps. Fortunately I didn't start working out having to lose weight from a life as a fattie, I was always trying to gain weight. I even use to fly to Miami with a cheap electric blender in my carry-on so I could make protein shakes in my hotel room. Not many people do that.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline scotty54

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2013, 10:27:02 am »
Hey there Milburn.....looking toned.  I used to be a serious work-out guy a few years back.  OK, maybe a few decades. LOL.  More cardio/machines these days for me but still enjoy the routine (physically and keeps my head straight too.)  Best to you. ;)
I may not agree with you, but will always defend your right to disagree.

Offline Mishma

• HIV drugs are our Allies but hardly our Friends
    • Marquis de Vauban
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 03:44:28 pm »
Studies at Tuffs University and others demonstrated quite convincingly that strength and muscle mass could be improved at virtually any age with resistance training. Earlier studies didn't push their older subjects as much as their younger study participants, consequently they didn't gain mass and strength accordingly. I'm pushing 60 but I'm still pumping iron. I use isotonic abdominal crunches to keep my abdomen flat.

In Columbus Ohio, where I had lived for awhile, my father and I would go to the down YMCA. My dad would kick everybodies asses (including my own) in racket ball or handball  and I would lift. I'll never forget this poster of an absolutely "ripped"  half naked, 75-80 year old man hanging on the wall. I hope I live long enough to become a similar man (plus you're more attractive to the younger guys and gals).

Advice as given by Milburn plus a physician's check up. Age appropriate tests such as a stress test may be necessary. I had to take a stress in order to use the gym at the VA.

I use Arnold's Schwarzenegger most excellent bodybuilding book as a general guide. These days I'm doing the 6 day split routine and jump on the bike trainer (It is winter here) if I can't make the gym. My preference has always been for free weights. During the summer I'll lay off the weights and bike and swim. It certainly helps if you are a little masochistic , you get out what you put into it. If it was easy everybody would be doing it. Good luck. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 04:15:19 pm by Mishma »
2016 CD4 25% UD (less than 20). 30+ years positive. Dolutegravir, Acyclovir, Clonazepam, Lisinopril, Quetiapine, Sumatriptan/Naproxen, Restasis, Latanoprost, Asprin, Levothyroxine, Restasis, Triamcinolone.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.