Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 27, 2024, 01:20:11 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772928
  • Total Topics: 66309
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 115
Total: 115

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: tummy  (Read 13659 times)

Offline netta

tummy
« on: April 07, 2010, 12:49:20 pm »
Has anyone had any luck with losing the fat around the stomach, tummy, through exercise ?????? I am very petite, but have this stomach that makes me look pregnant, even when I lose weight, I still have this fat tummy. It starts right under my breast! what if any, have you used as far as exercize, weight training, etc has worked?
"to thine own self be true"

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
Re: tummy
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 02:45:23 pm »
Hi Netta,

I am presuming your tummy is a result of lipohypertrophy, right? That is what it sounds like.

If it is lipo, I have had absolutely no success reducing it with exercise, per se. Exercise may help you hold your tummy in, but it probably won't reduce the fat amount because the fat is visceral rather than subcutaneous.

One thing to consider might be a more lipid-friendly drug regimen. I switched to Isentress/Truvada. My lipids dropped rapidly and there was some reduction in the fat deposits in my belly and my buffalo hump and horsecollar neck.

But they didn't go away. I have found that losing a few pounds seemed to help a little bit as well. I good goal might be to make sure you fall below the maximum BMI for someone of your height.

My doctor wants me to fall somewhere in lower end of the BMI range for my height.

There also are some drugs in the pipeline that might be helpful, including human growth hormone. But be warned, these may or may not work and, once started, must be continued or the problem returns. At least, that is what they are saying in many of the news articles I have read.

Overall, some of the best things you can do is to try to eat a low-fat diet, keep your weight within the healthy range, exercise regularly and maybe even talk to you doctor about a med switch.

Make sure you let your doctor know what's going on and what you plan to do. That way if there is something he is concerned with he can let you know.

Hope this helps.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline darkerpozz

• I'll be with you in a sec...
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 07:22:04 pm »
I too have noticed this paunch in the belly and I am muscular and excercise regularly and it doesn't seem to help and I have come to the conclusiion that other factors are in play. I hear and despise the unwanted bellyfat that doesn't move with exercise. I can hold it in but it isi always there, damn.....

Offline alicedaddy

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 09:52:04 pm »
I haven't been diagnosed with lipohypertrpohy, but am wondering if this bloated feeling and distended gut, which feels vaguely like constipation, is a result of my meds.  I exercise regularly and have taken up eating more veggies and fruit with yogurt, hoping that the probiotics help with digestion.  My diet is good and I have no wasting or abnormal fat elsewhere.  I guess it could be middle-aged spread, but the feeling of not having evacuated completely is uncomfortable but not painful.  Does this sound familiar?  I'm undetectable with T cells of over 900 and very healthy otherwise.  I've been pos for approx. 23 years.  Wondering if it's time for a colonoscopy or something.  I also take ibuprofen daily due to neck and back pain and have read that this may cause limited GI motility.  Any ideas for me? 

Offline aztecan

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 12:46:05 am »
Hey Alicedaddy,

Since you say your diet is pretty good, and you are eating probiotics, etc., the problem might be something to do with your meds.

Which meds are you taking?

I know some of the older meds, particularly AZT and Crixivan, used to make me feel bloated.

It is possible this is the onset of lipohypertrophy. Again, it really depends on your ARV history and what you are taking now.

I had the colonoscopy this year after postponing it for three years. It wasn't a big deal. I shouldn't have worried about it.

Have you talked to your doc about the bloated feeling and distended gut?

HUGS,

Mark

Offline elf

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 11:04:25 pm »
The only way tummy fat will go away is hiking, jogging and running.
Also, a low carbo diet is more effective than a low fat diet. ;)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:06:54 pm by elf »

Offline aztecan

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 09:06:33 pm »
The only way tummy fat will go away is hiking, jogging and running.
Also, a low carbo diet is more effective than a low fat diet. ;)

Not if its lipohypertrophic in nature.

Also, if someone is experiencing lipohypertrophy, there is a good chance they also are living with hyperlipidemia.

If that is the case,  a low carb, high protein (presumably animal protein) diet would not be beneficial.

HUGS,

Mark

Offline alicedaddy

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 02:11:44 pm »
Thanks for the input.  I've got an appt coming up and will bring it up.  I do wonder, however, how likely it is that the symptoms would come and go if I do in fact have visceral fat deposits.  Seems to happen after eating and resolves by the next morning, only to happen after eating again.  I'm taking methimazole for hyperthyroidism and will talk to my endocrinologist about the possibily that this is some sort of interaction or side effect of that.  Maybe its just bad gas.  That would be embarassing and a relief at the same time!  Maybe I just need a really good fart.  ;D

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 12:48:57 pm »
Not if its lipohypertrophic in nature.

Also, if someone is experiencing lipohypertrophy, there is a good chance they also are living with hyperlipidemia.

If that is the case,  a low carb, high protein (presumably animal protein) diet would not be beneficial.

HUGS,

Mark

I don't understand why a low carb diet wouldn't reduce visceral fat. I have hyperlipidemia and have lost fat when I restrict my carbohydrate intake.

Offline alicedaddy

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 11:59:01 pm »
Well...things have changed and the abdominal swelling/pressure/pain is weird.  I weighed 170 at my last Dr visit about 3 weeks ago, and yesterday I weighed in at 184lbs.  My guts are sore from feeling stretched.  Is Celiac disease something that HIV people get?  It sounds like a suck ass situation.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 02:23:55 am »
Well...things have changed and the abdominal swelling/pressure/pain is weird.  I weighed 170 at my last Dr visit about 3 weeks ago, and yesterday I weighed in at 184lbs.  My guts are sore from feeling stretched.  Is Celiac disease something that HIV people get?  It sounds like a suck ass situation.

Celiac disease is as far as I know completely genetic.

Offline alicedaddy

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 05:39:43 pm »
If I stop eating gluten, how long should it take to know if it's working or not?  Does it stand to reason that it might take a few days to get it all out of my gut and get relief, or is it a pretty quick response?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 07:01:06 pm »
If I stop eating gluten, how long should it take to know if it's working or not?  Does it stand to reason that it might take a few days to get it all out of my gut and get relief, or is it a pretty quick response?

I don't know what makes you think you all of a sudden have Celiac disease.  This is something that should be discussed with a doctor.

Offline alicedaddy

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 08:15:06 pm »
I didn't self-diagnose.  I spoke with him (Dr) after seeing my endocrinologist and we decided to try gluten-free for a week to see if there's any improvement.  I now know it takes months to heal from the gluten exposure (if that's even what it is ) and we figure if there's any marked change, then we'll go from there.  He also believes it might be lipo, but the fact that it resolves overnight and reappears upon eating indicates that it probably isn't that.  It is possible for celiac disease to manifest in middle age.  God...maybe it's just a freak idiopathic thing that will resolve and never resurface.  Time will tell.  One way or another, my Dr is great and will work with me to figure it out.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.