Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 07:21:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772787
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 232
Total: 234

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Thai "treatment"  (Read 68016 times)

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
Re: CURE NEWS
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2011, 11:47:08 pm »
There's no way that big business is going to come out with a real cure for the most profitable virus in human history.
of course not, well not yet anyway. See I remember back 30 yrs ago to the beginning of this epidemic. Thirty short years in which they didn't even know why gay guys were dying from weird cancers to now having a once-a-day pill that practically guarantees a "normal lifespan" with minimal side effects all the time conforming to FDA and NIH testings and approval guidelines.

In the past 20 yrs that I've had AIDS, I been extremely happy to see how fast the drug companies have moved from AZT (with it's horrible 4x4hrs daily schedule) to a crazy mix of 28 pills and tablespoons of meds that I took throughout the day to the newer meds like my once-a-day Reyataz/Truvada/Norvir combo. When you actually had to live through the last 30 years watching your friends die and then moving from the early meds to the newer improved meds, you really have a sense of how fast the science has moved along improving the lives of HIV positive people, and how fast it's still moving to a cure.

It's not too damn shabby coming from an unknown disease with no drugs and deaths by the 1000s to Atripla with hundreds of scientists searching for a cure (when so many other diseases aren't cured either) and a death rate from AIDS around the lowest it's ever been. I'm still expecting a cure (well a vaccine first and then a cure) but real medical science takes time.
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2011, 05:16:53 am »
Well, Kelly, I thank you for clarifying your background thoughts behind your excitement about the radio show, and your creation of the thread.

Listen, its healthy to have a skeptical attitude about big business, the food industry, the pharma industry, for profit medicine and so on and so on.

But you mostly throw ALL your concerns into the same pot and draw out spoonfuls of tasty soup - well-blended opinion statements, but you are calling the spoonfuls "fact".

You'll need to answer these question, if you want to be taken seriously as a skeptic about the cure - vis-a-vis business.

1) National Institutes of Health, in so many countries, are interested in a cure because they work for the government and a government does NOT want a nation of sick and dying people, and does not want to pay for lifelong treatment.   Unless you feel governments are evil and protect medicine as a business and pharma as a business to the expressed sufferring and death of its own citizens.. That's your explanation?

2)  Research scientists at universities and institutes around the world are NOT in the pockets of BIG PHARMA, at least not always.  And there is amazing professional glory to finding the cure. Just as there was professional glory to the early researchers who identified the virus.   There is NO conspiracy that can block honest, brilliant, good, scientists from their work. NONE.

3)  If big business is to find the cure, they will also find a way to sell it.   If witch doctors and alternative medicine find the cure, then you can be sure they, too, will be very happy and proud and want the world to know they beat big business.  And that alternative is the best way.  So, the cure will be announced globally and embraced and HIV+ people will riot in the street, laughing and singing that all along, it was some common element ingeniously applied, such as THC.  Or some amazonian tea.  Or malted milk eggs. Or whatever.

If you can't answer to these three reasonable retorts to people like you, who hold conspiracy theories, then you aren't worth the argument.  It's crackpot territory.  

Do you want to be among the crackpots???
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:25:13 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2011, 01:21:36 pm »
Everything I say is based on proven scientific fact actually. And I don't know if the raped cows are good to eat...I wouldn't want to eat them. Call your local dairy farmer. Maybe they'll give you one of their recently deceased so you can butcher her yourself.

Yeah I could probably do that Kelly.  But knowing my local grocer he would probably sell me a virgin cow at raped cow's prices. 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline kellybryana

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2011, 03:58:28 pm »
We're going to have to agree to disagree. I think you're ignorant, you think I'm crazy, and that's fine. I'm done with this thread, and actually these forums. I wish everyone the best of luck in their endeavors.

Offline mecch

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2011, 04:19:55 pm »
What a cop out.  You practically ordered us to go spend time giving your ideas a good faith listen, and yet when asked for some frank discussion, you bolt.  How lazy, finally.  How sad. 

Why would you want to be the victim of such a flimsily shored-up conspiracy?  Its not government right? Its not research science?  So its pharma and somehow the food industry and the illuminati pulling the strings from on high?

I had thought you were a clever fighter and nobody's fool.  Instead, you say we're all victims of a conspiracy, including yourself.  No thanks, honey, count me out.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline kellybryana

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2011, 05:08:13 pm »
I'm not copping out, I just don't have the patience or emotional capacity to debate with people who haven't done any research on these subjects. When my boyfriend and I were diagnosed with HIV 7 months ago, we immediately took to the books and documentaries and Internet in order to learn what we could do to make our quality of life as happy and robust as possible. 7 months of 2 peoples extended research led me to my current opinions.

I began with reading and listening to audio tapes about health and wellness through proper nutrition and It led me to learn about all the lies I've been told my whole life about what is "healthy" for me. In learning about all this, I felt compelled to read books and watch  documentaries on other subjects. So when you've done thorough research and still feel the way you do about my "crack pot" conspiracy theories, then come back and talk to me. Until then, I don't want to get heated talking to people I really don't know or care about who have done no investigation besides what they see on tv and read in the newspapers and magazines.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2011, 05:24:42 pm »
WOW!  This thread is AWESOME.

I tell ya...every time I go away for a few days and come back, AM never disappoints.

Until then, I don't want to get heated talking to people I really don't know or care about who have done no investigation besides what they see on tv and read in the newspapers and magazines.

Ah!  Well that might be the problem right there:  the difference in the "care factor" between yourself and the others posting in this thread (myself included).  It's precisely because we DO care - even for those we don't "know" or may never meet - that we give these little gems such scrutiny.

And really...you've got a shit pot of nerve addressing these folks this way.  You are talking to an audience of people who have years more knowledge and in the trenches experience with this disease than you do.  

« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:27:31 pm by thunter34 »
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2011, 05:26:39 pm »
I'm not copping out, I just don't have the patience or emotional capacity to debate with people who haven't done any research on these subjects. When my boyfriend and I were diagnosed with HIV 7 months ago, we immediately took to the books and documentaries and Internet in order to learn what we could do to make our quality of life as happy and robust as possible. 7 months of 2 peoples extended research led me to my current opinions.

I began with reading and listening to audio tapes about health and wellness through proper nutrition and It led me to learn about all the lies I've been told my whole life about what is "healthy" for me. In learning about all this, I felt compelled to read books and watch  documentaries on other subjects. So when you've done thorough research and still feel the way you do about my "crack pot" conspiracy theories, then come back and talk to me. Until then, I don't want to get heated talking to people I really don't know or care about who have done no investigation besides what they see on tv and read in the newspapers and magazines.

Kelly

I'm sorry if we have offended.  But you know in many ways TV and magazines, vulgar and often wrong as they are, have a much better track record on HIV cures than internet sources, particularly internet sites of web gurus who have moved out of the country to a place where fraudulent medical claims are outside the reach of the postal authorities or the FDA.  

A lot of people have died following quack cures.

We don't want you to be among them.  

So if we have teased or prodded too hard it is with that in mind, for you and for the broader audience that reads these forums.

Not kidding now
A
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2011, 05:30:48 pm »

Probably this forum isn't for you. As I mentioned above we're into orthodox medicine and sciencey type stuff around here.

Alt.Health, quack remedies and scambait really aren't our thing. If those things are what bake your cake, then you might be happier elsewhere. There are plenty of alt.health bolt holes on t he inteynets.

This is just my personal opinion, mind. An opinion formed after many years of membership here. So don't go racing around shrieking "MATTY TOLD ME I HAVE TO LEAVE!"

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2011, 05:30:55 pm »

The problem is what you're accepting as "fact" has little or no basis in science.  That's what the others are trying to communicate to you.  If there were a cure for HIV it wouldn't stay a secret for long.  If pot were a cure for HIV trust me like 60% of the people on this forum would be blissfully smoking away their HIV on a regular basis.  No one made any personal attacks against you they just dispute the validity of your beliefs, which are actually just a relayed version of someone else's ludicrous claims.

In order to be taken seriously you must provide some sort of hard scientific evidence as to the nature of this so-called cure.  Otherwise you better believe we'll be skeptical.

Offline zach

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2011, 05:33:34 pm »
humble that one is...

i care for you kelly, i don't know you, but i know you're struggling to wrap your head around the same thing i am... and i see you're new to it, just like me, just looking for answers to make sense of this

and at the end of the day, that is why i come here

to lean, to support, to listen, to vent... we're all positive, lets stay positive about it
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 05:45:41 pm by zach »

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2011, 05:45:49 pm »
When my boyfriend and I were diagnosed with HIV 7 months ago, we immediately took to the books and documentaries and Internet in order to learn what we could do to make our quality of life as happy and robust as possible. 7 months of 2 peoples extended research led me to my current opinions.
Kelly, I've lived with AIDS for 20 years now and watched innumerable friends die and two partners. I've been on 18 different HIV meds as they have improved through the years. I'm actually healthier than I've been in the last 30 yrs even with 50 approaching in less than a year.

Your internet "extended research" of barely half a year (maybe a yr if you and the BF researched different stuff) doesn't hold a candle to the 20 yrs of research and experience I've had actually living with this disease and waiting for a cure. If you want to believe some crackpot who didn't even present his "cured" cases at the conference like he bragged about in that video (i mean you told us to listen to him and then he didn't even follow through with his promises and yet you seem to believe what he said sight-unseen), then you need to seriously continue with your research.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2011, 06:03:37 pm »
Dont bail out of here just because others do not agree.  I watched the clip and have my own opinions about it but the unscientific basis on which the theory was formulated is too weak to call a cure.  I expect a cure will be found at some point and honestly I wish it was this.  One of my favorite pasttimes has been doing my bong hits and feeling the euphoria afterwards.

Thanks for the link.  It was interesting. 

Offline CaptCarl

• Located in the Palinsville subdivision, JesusLand
« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2011, 06:41:58 pm »
Wow. Just Wow!
   Kelly, no offense, but you 've been in this boat for a whopping 7 months, and somehow seem to have become an expert on what is and is not honest treatment for HIV. Like others have pointed out, the total sum of your intense research comes to about a half a year. May I be so bold as to inquire if you actually researched the research you read? Did you verify it's sources? Or did you just take it at face value, assuming that nobody would lie about things of such importance, other than Big Pharma that is? I'm sorry, but you ar coming across as just a bit naive here, both in your questionable methods, as well as your reactions at anyone who doesn't agree with you.
   I cannot for the life of me understand how on one hand you can scream about pharmacuetical companies being wrong simply because they are profit based, while on the other hand, going down the garden path holding the hand of someone of dubious merit who, oddly enough, also seeks to profit from you?
   If you want to behave like a five year old throwing a temper tantrum jst because you find that the majority of people don't agree with you, then fine do so. One of the hardst lesson we learn in life is that if enough people tell you the same thing about yourself, be it positive or negative, then maybe it just might be true. It can be a painful experience, but some valuable lessons come from it. Lessons that will strengthen you and help you to grow. I would suggest that you use your energy actually LISTENING. Instead of getting all pissed off that people don't agree with you, spend the energy to listen to the reasons WHY, and figuring it out for yourself why you just might actually be wrong. You have gotten to the point that you have lost your objectivity and your ability to think critically, the only thing that matters to you at this point is being right, not being sensible. There are plenty of denialist websites out there, you'd probably be happier there. They will be happy to accomodate anything you care to come up with, no matter how unrealistic they might be. There have been a number of people here at this site who have left here in a snit, and gone to those other places to find support for thier positions. If you want to know how well that works out, Just ask Emory Taylor, screen name: Etay. He'll tell you that he felt just great right up until he died. You are also going to need to toughen up considerably. Considering how fragile  you are when things don't goyour way, doesn't bode well for when you have your first major battle with this illness. If you want to survive, you need to be a lot stronger than you are right now
   This virus does not fuck around. And it will make short work of anyone halfwitted enough to think that they can prevail without the aid of western medicine. Very short work.
  When you finally grow up enough to be willing and able to have a true exchange of information and ideas, as well as the ability to take constructive criticism. When you want REAL information based in rational thought, by all means, come here. That is what support is all about. Until then though, you may wish to stay away.
   Good luck to you...

CaptCarl
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:13:54 pm by CaptCarl »
The only thing I can do straight is shoot..

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2011, 07:18:27 pm »
This forum is populated by members from around the world; members with varying levels of education; varying levels of years of being positive; and varying degrees of understanding regarding research findings.... but one thing I will tell you, is there is not a member on here who is going to simply refute a claim - particularly a claim of a cure ---- hell, that is what we all want.

So, members who have substantial experience living with this virus, members from around the world, members of various educational levels and backgrounds - do listen, do research (to varying degrees), do verify, and do debate.

To be so bold as to think that you and your boyfriend, with 7 months positive each - have absorbed and understood a 30+ year old virus, the various research studies that have been done on it, prevention of it, treatment of it, and, yes, even those looking for a cure for it --- let's me know that you still are struggling to come to terms with this diagnosis.  And that is okay.

I really don't think people the world over are being misled by a conspiracy to keep a cure out of our hands - yes, big pharma makes big money --- however, governments, employers, and dare I say it, insurance companies are losing big money.  Also, whoever discovers the cure - even if it were to be through THC/marijuana is also going to make big money.

It is really important to always look at both sides, sometimes even more than both sides in order for research to be successful.

It is also important to know everything possible about the source providing information --- I am reminded of a woman who years ago put out a book and video talking about moderation management for alcoholics.  She laid out a plan as to how alcoholics did not need treatment, did not need AA - they could follow her simple recipe and continue drinking but do so successfully.  She made millions of dollars on lecture tours, book signings and sales.  She told her story of how her method was successful.  How it was working for her.  Everything was all gravy, until she wrapped her car around a tree driving drunk one night.  Further investigation of her background, showed that she was a housewife from the suburbs.  An alcoholic housewife from the suburbs - who did not want to listen to years of research about alcoholism, did not want to believe in conventional treatment approaches, did not want to believe that she had to quit drinking --- she had found a cure - a cure that still allowed her to drink.

So, if you want to discard all of the years of research that have occurred and are occurring around HIV  - its treatment and progress towards finding a cure; if you want to discard the experience and knowledge of members on these forums - many who have done hundreds and hundreds of more research than you, me, and your boyfriend could have even hoped to do in 7 months or 2+ years; then so be it -- that is your choice.  Just know all you can about the source of the information - verify, verify, verify and be open to other sources of information (minds are like parachutes, they function only when open).  Just be careful and don't let anyone cause you to "wrap your car around a figurative tree."

Be open to debate - be open to learning - even things that are comfortable to learn.  And yes, I did watch the video - to be honest, as much as it would be great to believe what the man is saying, I have to say that there is too much science from around the world that refutes what he is saying.  While him and his partner  may be doing well now - time will tell ---- unfortunately, I have been on these forums long enough (even in the short time I have been here) to see what unfortunately, usually happens to people who pursue and believe these types of theories and this type of research.  I suggest you do a search on a member named Etay - read his threads..... also, read where his name has been added - it's  one of the names that's been added to the Memorial Thread (Emory).

Best to you no matter what decision you make.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2011, 07:44:16 pm »
All I know is I don't care whether the cow is raped or not, I just want the Ribeye cut out of it and slapped on my plate (Medium rare with Blue Cheese Sauce please)
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2011, 07:45:59 pm »
All I know is I don't care whether the cow is raped or not, I just want the Ribeye cut out of it and slapped on my plate (Medium rare with Blue Cheese Sauce please)

Heck yea!  Thats my favorite too.

Offline drewm

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2011, 08:07:38 pm »
I just wanted to drop in and say that I have nothing to contribute to this thread. Nothing snarky, nothing constructive...nothing...nada other than to say this was more interesting than most 420 'stories' I have observed.
Diagnosed in  May of 2010 with teh AIDS.

PCP Pneumonia . CD4 8 . VL 500,000

TRIUMEQ - VALTREX -  FLUOXETINE - FENOFIBRATE - PRAVASTATIN - CIALIS

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2011, 08:11:41 pm »
I just wanted to drop in and say that I have nothing to contribute to this thread. Nothing snarky, nothing constructive...nothing...nada other than to say this was more interesting than most 420 'stories' I have observed.

Interesting in what way Drew?...just curious.

Aroha
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline drewm

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2011, 09:02:22 pm »
Interesting in what way Drew?...just curious.

Aroha
Jan :-*

Just interesting in that I find most, nearly all 'cure news' interesting...

:)

Numbers consistent since 12/2010 - VL has remained undetectable and CD4 is anywhere from 275-325

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2011, 10:13:45 pm »
So many vapid swan songs lately.  We should create a compilation and sell it to collect money for next year's AMG or something.  It could be titled AIDSmeds Swan Songs Collected, Greatest Hits and FAILS (Bonus Remix Disc included).
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2011, 10:30:05 pm »
We should create a compilation and sell it to collect money for next year's AMG or something.  It could be titled AIDSmeds Swan Songs Collected, Greatest Hits and FAILS (Bonus Remix Disc included).

That, quite possibly, is the most sane thing I've read yet in this thread. Quite brilliant.

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2011, 10:36:55 pm »
So many vapid swan songs lately.
Hopefully Kelly will stick after after thinking about what's been posted and sees that while we all hope for a cure, we really need more scientific proof than just the words of some carnival barker selling his magic elixir.

Looking back I see that Kelly's previous postings dealt with looking for a "blessing in disguise" with HIV (and the "positive positive" thread). Trying to find something good from being infected with HIV and hoping for a miracle cure are hallmarks for someone newly infected (and only 7 months after diagnosis, Kelly qualifies in that category), looking for answers, and looking for how to integrate HIV and being positive into their lives. I hope we're presented some facts and critical thinking that'll get her (and her boyfriend) thinking and help her cope with HIV being part of her life.

Please stick around Kelly. :-* you don't have to post if you don't want to talke with us, but you'll find a wealth of information that is guaranteed to help you through the years dealing with HIV.
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2011, 10:52:26 pm »
If a person is going to live with HIV at some point you have to toughen up and see things as they really are . Its a hard knock life we lead . I think people have done Kelly a good service by telling her the truth so that she or anybody else that may read the forum that there are people out there that will take advantage and do you harm . Some time the truth hurts and that's a scientific fact .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline kellybryana

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2011, 11:44:58 pm »
I've talked to this doctor over the phone, and he is going to have a conversation with my parents and my doctor about his treatment. He does not call it a "cure", that was my term (woops). His treatment has nothing to do with weed either, if you would listen more intently. He just is looking for an outlet to get his information out. He is just looking for any outlet to get his information out there, and he happens to be pro medical marijuana, so this radio show was perfect for him to speak on. He also spoke at an Earth Day festival that my boyfriend attended. This is where we first came into contact with him.

He actually deducted $2000 off the cost of treatment for both my boyfriend and I so as to make up for the cost of the trip itself, and he has offered to sign legally binding, notorized papers stating that if anything goes wrong, including negative side effects, or ineffectiveness of the treatment, that he will give me all of my money back. I truly believe this doctors sole intention is to help me. His conviction is intoxicating, and his character is very clear in the work he has done in his career. He has offered to speak with my doctor and my parents, and he has expressed that he does not want to treat me unless it is ok with my parents and my doctor. My parents are incredibly intelligent people, and I am their baby. They will not ok this unless they investigate it from every angle available.

On a different note...I in no way intended to belittle what the people in these forums have been through, and I have nothing but respect for what the people who have survived this disease for years have endured. The frustration I was expressing is with people not questioning the media in this country, and insulting my intelligence. I'm naive? How do you think Hitler brain washed an entire country to kill 12 million people!? He used the media...this includes TV, radio, magazines, text books, films, posters, comics, fine art, public speakers. He pretty much used every outlet in society in order to indoctrinate an entire country of people. If you look through history, you'd see that things happen in cycles, and Hitler's reign is not the first, nor the last one to use these methods in order to keep a nation dumb and blind to what is really going on. QUESTION WHAT'S AROUND YOU!

And I am a tough cookie and I am an incredibly intelligent critical thinker. You have NO IDEA what I have been through in my life, and I don't appreciate you making assumptions about my character and my ability to endure. You think I have the audacity to question my country as I do, but I will put my life in the hands of some doctor in Thailand without doing any type of investigation? How silly.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2011, 12:36:08 am »
I've talked to this doctor over the phone, and he is going to have a conversation with my parents and my doctor about his treatment. He does not call it a "cure", that was my term (woops). His treatment has nothing to do with weed either, if you would listen more intently. He just is looking for an outlet to get his information out. He is just looking for any outlet to get his information out there, and he happens to be pro medical marijuana, so this radio show was perfect for him to speak on. He also spoke at an Earth Day festival that my boyfriend attended. This is where we first came into contact with him.

He actually deducted $2000 off the cost of treatment for both my boyfriend and I so as to make up for the cost of the trip itself, and he has offered to sign legally binding, notorized papers stating that if anything goes wrong, including negative side effects, or ineffectiveness of the treatment, that he will give me all of my money back. I truly believe this doctors sole intention is to help me. His conviction is intoxicating, and his character is very clear in the work he has done in his career. He has offered to speak with my doctor and my parents, and he has expressed that he does not want to treat me unless it is ok with my parents and my doctor. My parents are incredibly intelligent people, and I am their baby. They will not ok this unless they investigate it from every angle available.

On a different note...I in no way intended to belittle what the people in these forums have been through, and I have nothing but respect for what the people who have survived this disease for years have endured. The frustration I was expressing is with people not questioning the media in this country, and insulting my intelligence. I'm naive? How do you think Hitler brain washed an entire country to kill 12 million people!? He used the media...this includes TV, radio, magazines, text books, films, posters, comics, fine art, public speakers. He pretty much used every outlet in society in order to indoctrinate an entire country of people. If you look through history, you'd see that things happen in cycles, and Hitler's reign is not the first, nor the last one to use these methods in order to keep a nation dumb and blind to what is really going on. QUESTION WHAT'S AROUND YOU!

And I am a tough cookie and I am an incredibly intelligent critical thinker. You have NO IDEA what I have been through in my life, and I don't appreciate you making assumptions about my character and my ability to endure. You think I have the audacity to question my country as I do, but I will put my life in the hands of some doctor in Thailand without doing any type of investigation? How silly.

well...o....kay.....

Have fun in Thailand. Skip the ping pong shows.....go for the banana shows. extra special

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2011, 01:05:16 am »

I truely believe the devil made me do that..sorry Kelly but you aren't making any sense at all.

Jan

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2011, 01:09:14 am »
Kelly , please do let someone you trust such as your ID doc know what you plan to do so that you can get another opinion or two . I'm not sure if another opinion could dissuade you since you ignore the hundreds of years of combined knowledge that has been offered here .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2011, 01:16:56 am »

The problem with keeping an open mind is that one's brain is likely to fall out. Much better to be a critical thinker which, despite your constant assertions, you manifestly are not.

In any event, Kelly is a Believer. There is a growing body of research in the field of neuroscience which suggests that, for many people, their propensity to believe certain things is hard wired into their brains. Thus, for example, why such a sizeable number of otherwise intelligent folks have a rock solid commitment to creationist world view. No matter what evidence might be presented to the contrary, nothing will change their beliefs because they are unable to change.

And thus it is with Kelly I fear. She believes that via the agency of Big Pharma Western Medicine is an enormous conspiracy to enslave us all.

Alas she cannot be helped.

Also, I invoke Godwin's Law.

</thread over>

MtD

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2011, 01:19:39 am »
Also, I invoke Godwin's Law.

</thread over>
thank you! I couldn't remember that name. ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline mecch

« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2011, 01:29:55 am »
National brainwashing?  Hitler?  Kelly you are throwing everything but everything into this soup.  
You are associating too many topics into your critical consideration of HIV and your own infection and your treatment choices.  Its ONLY about hiv, not the quality of food or the role of the media, etc. etc.  

Please do make sure that your (American? you are in the USA) Oks what you do with this new doctor.  

Your own approval, your parents, that's all well and good. Your own is necessary of course.  But the reason we go to doctors, is for their knowledge, which we simply don't have.  Its not my profession, or yours.  So my doc is surrounded by colleagues, who are all certified to be real doctors fit to practice in a country where medicine MUST follow certain practices of good science.  

Lets put your ideas into a different situation. Lets say you are a mom. You want your kids to grow up and have a good job they love and supports them. SO, you take them to the local race track and the nice wise old cronies are going to teach him and prepare him for university and successful career? Or to the local school, where your kid will be taught by professional teachers and has the best chance to reach his goals.  Sure, there's a bum teacher here or there along the road, but all together, the profession delivers whats necessary, at least better than the cronies at the race track.  They can just add some spice and worldly knowledge. They can't do the main job.
________

People for the most part really got to let other people do their jobs. Other professions show their excellence.  We can't control everything. 

I do believe there are alternative ways to pursue health but one thing one does not want to fuck around with is HIV.  Its deadly and we already have a PROVEN way to good health with HIV.  Monitor the numbers and take HAART when its called for.  Its pretty simple.  

No other treatment has been shown to control or reverse the effects of HIV.  

If I decided tomorrow to pursue traditional Chinese medicine, or Indian medicine, I think my Swiss doc would approve IF it didn't replace my necessary HAART and the numbers remained good. That is to say, if I continued to participate and take the medical care that he and his professional world recommend.   The condition would most likely be:  find a Chinese doctor willing to work with us Swiss, and we will work with the Chinese doc.  I know one guy who is doing this with Indian medicine + western, here in Switzerland.  

He has the CASH to do that.  Do you have all this cash - to pursue 2 ways systems of medicine???

I don't have spare cash for so many experts to oversee my health.  And the western professionals are doing just fine enough.  And they are the ones who have the proof that their stuff works.  

I don't get all this guarantee stuff.  Honestly, there are so MANY red flags going up about your relationship with this doctor.  

Doctors don't need to give money back garantees, for example. It makes no sense.  Healers might do this but any true "healer" i have met doesn't do this either.

There is no 100% in alternative medicine.   I can tell you there is near 100% guaranteed effectiveness for HAART if you comply with the course of treatment and monitoring the western docs suggest.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 01:39:09 am by mecch »

Offline J220

« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2011, 01:42:37 am »
Bottom line, Kelly, surely you realize that there is a difference between hope and blind faith:

Hope is a good thing and can lift your spirits, when tempered by objectivity;

Blind faith can get you burned, real bad.

And believe it or not, NO ONE HERE wants to see you get burned.

This is perhaps the prime motivation for us here arguing against what you presented, which you have to admit falls far short of scientific fact.

But having said that, it seems your mind is made up, and well, that's your prerogative.

Just try not to part with your money until the treatment is done. If the doctor is so confident that this will work he'll have no problem with that.

I for one wish you luck, and please do let us know how it goes.
"Hope is my philosophy
Just needs days in which to be
Love of Life means hope for me
Born on a New Day" - John David

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2011, 01:44:05 am »
Seriously Kelly if you an your boyfriend are thinking about a trip to Thailand then the only thing you will b coming away with will be some wonderful photo's of a beautiful country, there will be no miricle cures or healings, but there could be lots of heatache because you put your faith in a man who can offer you nothing but false hope...you really need to re-think this whole thing.

Aroha
Jan

Offline MarkB

« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2011, 02:21:47 am »
I've talked to this doctor over the phone, and he is going to have a conversation with my parents and my doctor about his treatment. He does not call it a "cure", that was my term (woops).

Kelly

I'm one of the newer kids on this block, and when these people talk, I listen, because what they say tends to make sense. The thing is this: if Dr DeAndrea does not call his treatment a "cure", what does he call it? And what claims does he make for it?* You state that:

He has offered to speak with my doctor and my parents, and he has expressed that he does not want to treat me unless it is ok with my parents and my doctor.

Let's stay with the "doctor" part of that. Do I understand you to be saying that Dr DeAndrea is going to consult with your HIV clinic over this proposed course of treatment, and that he will abide by your clinician's decision? I for one would be very interested in what your doctor has to say about this, and look forward to you sharing the feedback with us, if you will. But if your clinic advises you against this course of action - as people here have done - will their views carry more weight with you than ours?

I'm getting the distinct sense that you are drawing some sort of a line in the sand over this issue. You refer on several occasions to your intelligence, and evidently feel that that we are somehow insulting it by challenging your (and by implication, Dr DeAndrea's) views. That being the case, then personally, I think you should now go and do what you want. It's your body. If Dr DeAndrea has convinced you, and if he convinces your orthodox clinician, then by all means go to Thailand and see what happens. But remember, he has specifically told you that what he is offering is "not a cure"*.

Good luck.

_________

* Because I'm getting old and increasingly gaga, I could have sworn I heard Dr D' make some astounding claims in the clip you gave. So I listened again, more carefully this time, and took notes. This is what he says. In the case of his first three patients (= the HIV+ bodybuilding, self-medicating lab technician and his boyfriend; and the "blind trial" patient), Dr D' states firstly that after 8 weeks their viral loads "... had dropped by half. This does not happen, in medicine, in two months (ref. 36:58 et seqq.)." Actually, that's not true: on Atripla, I became undetectable in two weeks. However, and more importantly, he then goes on to assert that "... by 16 weeks ... all three patients were not testing positive to any HIV test (ref. 37:56 et seqq.)."

And that's not all. He states that he then took his treatment to the clinical trial stage in South Africa, Uganda and Haiti. The results were, again, astounding: "in all of the patients that we have treated ... they all came up HIV negative" (ref. 38:15-37). Unless I have misheard or misunderstood what he said, that sounds to me pretty much like a claim for a cure. The point being, Kelly, if Dr D' can go on the airwaves claiming cures for these patients, why did he tell you that he does not call his treatment a cure?

/... edited for typos and further information.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 05:00:49 am by MarkB »

Offline MarkB

« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2011, 03:37:30 am »
Further to the above, I've done some homework for you. In the clip you linked for us, Dr DeAndrea specifically states that "with the exception of Tetanus, vaccinations have no effect (ref. 44:40 et seqq.)". So when you travel to Thailand, please make absolutely sure that you and your boyfriend avoid any form of preemptive treatment - apart from tetanus, of course - for such things as typhoid, hepatitis A+B, diphtheria, encephalitis, dengue fever, chikungunya virus, malaria and rabies (among others). You will not need medications for any of these because, as Dr D' has said, they don't work anyway. So the good news is that you will certainly be able to make savings on unnecessary travel health meds. Enjoy the trip.

One further thing: I must have missed his promised announcement at the New Living Expo on April 30 in San Francisco, to which everyone was invited, regarding the undetectable status of his first 17 patients. Does he have any plans to publish his findings in a peer-reviewed medical journal?

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:23:16 am by MarkB »

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2011, 04:05:03 am »

Hi Kelly,

You urge people to question what we are being told by the media. I agree that having a questioning, inquisitive mind is a good thing. However, being someone who is newly diagnosed, does not have a medical or scientific background and did not even know much about the history of the disease up until diagnosis, I do not agree that what you have is ‘a questioning mind’. What you really are, is just another newly dx person desperate to have your pre dx life back. You have convinced yourself that this is a global conspiracy that you are caught in, and urge everyone to open their eyes (whatever that means). I understand that people, at times, in a hopeless situation will go at lengths to believe things that their mind wants to believe in, to make themselves feel better. What you have is unhealthy optimism bordering on denial conveniently put in the garb of sounding ‘original’ and ‘clever’ but somehow just comes across as grossly ill-informed. And honestly you’re not the first person to think this way. There are thousands of fake doctors and quacks who greatly benefit from people who are clutching at straws in a desperate situation.

I live in India. Not too far from Thailand. We have our own little menagerie of Ayurvedic doctors/ herbal doctors/ voodoo doctors in the Himalayas who claim to cure everything under the sun. It is all bullshit. They are the nothing but extortionists exploiting people.

Do you really believe that the medical/ scientific/ research communities ACROSS the globe (in all countries) and all Governments in all countries/ the UN/ all NGOs working on HIV/AIDS (and I am sure I have left out countless other groups) etc are in some sort of global conspiracy or so gullible to believe in some huge fraud for over 30 years??? Do you think everyone in the world is so incredibly foolish? I will go even one step further. Even if you think that some pharma groups want to sell ARVs for financial gains- do you think that the Governments, doctors and countless other people (most of whom have no financial gain to make) have also been bought?!  And lastly, if a herbal cure through weed or whatever was possible, why hasn’t a single person been cured yet?

Think about it.

Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline MarkB

« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2011, 04:38:59 am »
The problem with keeping an open mind is that one's brain is likely to fall out.

I do wish you wouldn't do things like that. I now have to clean the coffee out of my keyboard.

Offline edfu

« Reply #87 on: June 07, 2011, 05:37:03 am »
How do you think Hitler brain washed an entire country to kill 12 million people!? He used the media...this includes TV

Gee, do you think he watched Ed Sullivan on Sunday nights and Lawrence Welk on Saturdays?    Of course, there was the notorious 1935 Joseph Goebbels-produced Kukla, Fran, und Ollie  and the propagandistic 1939 edition of Mickey Mouse Verein.   That Nuremberg Rally, though, did beat all the competition for the highest Nielsen ratings and share in recorded history. 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 06:54:08 am by edfu »
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2011, 05:52:58 am »
Gee, do you think he watched Ed Sullivan on Sunday nights and Lawrence Welk on Saturdays?     

Don't be silly he was sitting in the Movies watching "The Great Dictator" (1940) and the "The Lady Eve(a)" 1941... ;D

Aroha
Jan

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2011, 07:46:03 am »

Okay, so he says it's not a cure.   What exactly is it then?  And, what benefit do you hope to achieve? 
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2011, 08:16:14 am »

I don't trust western medicine because it is driven by profit hungry pharmaceutical companies.

Thank goodness.  Their greed has led to me living a couple of decades that I wouldn't have without it.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2011, 09:04:52 am »

Kelly

You know, those Nigerian scam emails often come with an offer to fill out "legally binding, notorized (sic) papers"   But if he is in Thailand, you may find it very difficult to collect on this promise from a US civil suit.  So this offer is of no value.

And a discount on treatment is only of value if the treatment is of value.

But finally, fathers' day is less than two weeks away, and I truly hope you will print out this paragraph and give it to your parents.  It is very loving towards them...

Assurbanipal
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2011, 09:14:14 am »

You'll need to answer these question, if you want to be taken seriously as a skeptic about the cure - vis-a-vis business.

1) National Institutes of Health, in so many countries, are interested in a cure because they work for the government and a government does NOT want a nation of sick and dying people, and does not want to pay for lifelong treatment.   Unless you feel governments are evil and protect medicine as a business and pharma as a business to the expressed sufferring and death of its own citizens.. That's your explanation?

2)  Research scientists at universities and institutes around the world are NOT in the pockets of BIG PHARMA, at least not always.  And there is amazing professional glory to finding the cure. Just as there was professional glory to the early researchers who identified the virus.   There is NO conspiracy that can block honest, brilliant, good, scientists from their work. NONE.

3)  If big business is to find the cure, they will also find a way to sell it.   If witch doctors and alternative medicine find the cure, then you can be sure they, too, will be very happy and proud and want the world to know they beat big business.  And that alternative is the best way.  So, the cure will be announced globally and embraced and HIV+ people will riot in the street, laughing and singing that all along, it was some common element ingeniously applied, such as THC.  Or some amazonian tea.  Or malted milk eggs. Or whatever.

You seem to be correct.  But I don't think you are.   Kelly has got some truth. My question to you why the cost of the HIV Meds then are to facken high.  $2500 for a monthly meds is way too much.  Again why many people are forced by their government to go out of ADAP.  Why and why? 
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Offline carousel

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2011, 09:27:09 am »
I hope you don't through with this two for one offer of treatment.

Whether or not you don't believe what people are saying, nobody wants to see you and the boyf get ripped off.

Just hope you talk to your doctor before wasting all this money.

Offline mecch

« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2011, 09:41:27 am »
You seem to be correct.  But I don't think you are.   Kelly has got some truth. My question to you why the cost of the HIV Meds then are to facken high.  $2500 for a monthly meds is way too much.  Again why many people are forced by their government to go out of ADAP.  Why and why?  

The cost of medicine is determined by pharma companies to fund their research, pay their staff, and make a profit to pay their stockholders.  They get what the market is willing to pay. Peopled died of HIV in this world because countries (and individual sick people) couldn't afford the price.  Indian companies made generics and some countries can afford to buy them, instead.  Some countries broke the patent and manufacture drugs. Some drugs are on patent, some are no longer.  Its complex.  Its not kind to HIV+ people.

Why does a diamond engagement ring cost so much?  Why does a mac or iphone cost so much??  Why does a lb of perfect strawberries cost so much?

People are dropped from ADAP when a state faces a funding crisis. They decide to cuts, so then cut or dont expand ADAP.  Simple as that.  Its not kind to HIV+ people.  Its maybe prejudice.  Also, the states battle with the federal government to see who can finally pay, if anyone...  WE are in transition years.  Eventually if and when Obama care comes online, the states may be somewhat off the hook.  

What is the logic of your question?  If a state decides NOT to buy expensive drugs, how does this help the evil PHARMA???  

The US government must pay the price of drugs because there is law that says it can't buy generics.  This is about business. Its not very nice to HIV+ people. AND its not very nice to ANYONE WHO IS SICK WITH ANYTHING AND NEEDS medicine.   Part of being a rich industrialised nation is that the government makes compromises to protect business.  Every human has to deal with his position and they are all compromised. You are born American you have some advantages and by birthright but you are in a compromised position in some respects.  Life is a complicated affair.

PB polluted the Gulf but had a profitable year.  So, nothing special about PHARMA.  Big business gets its way. DUH. Get over it.  You, an individual, have to make your healthy life despite the big bad complex compromised world we live in.

Its the same in almost every business that America protects through laws.  You can't buy "fake" or pirated microsoft programs with government money.  The reason you can't download a song or tv show or movie for free in the USA is the government protects its entertainment business.  You can't buy a counterfeit designer T-shirt.  

There is no freaking mass conspiracy to keep everyone on HAART forever.   Pharma did dirty deals with Obama as part of his getting Health care reform.  Its not pretty.  BUT IT WAS NOT ABOUT HIV --- IT WAS ABOUT ALL BRANDED DRUGS.  It has nothing to do with a conspiracy about HIV.

IT certainly has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EFFECTIVENESS OF HAART.  Nothing whatsoever.  

You will be lucky you have it, when you need it, if you can get it.  Be lucky if your country manages to pay for brand name drugs.  Be lucky if your country manages to pay for generic drugs.  

There is NO freaking conspiracy.  

And what pray tell does Hitler have to do with anything?

ETAY never got out of his bubble so HAART couldn't save him.  He's DEAD!

My boyfriend in the 80's didn't have the chance of HAART.  He tried a bio diet, all kinds of supplements, spiritual pursuits.  Got an Ayurvedic doctor.  He died.  HIs last months were horrible, painful, gut-wrenchingly awful. I think the spiritual "work" and the eastern medicines - they didn't kill him, they didn't save him, they were a comfort and a bit of spice and a bit of a waste of money considering nobody had much to pay for all that.  And it didn't save him from HIV.  Which is WHY he was pursuing it.  

If he had had today's HAART, he'd be ALIVE.  

Use these alternative healing methods as compliments to science.

Its a free world.  Go get your spacey treatments by this or that guru but you will thank your lucky stars that you can get HAART when you need it.

If you are spending your own or someone else's limited financial resources on such alternative pursuits, its foolhardy.  

If you are interested in injustices in the world, in putting things right, then take the HAART, when you need it, that will keep you healthy, and fight for the right of all people to get medicine when they need it. Fight for your fellow Americans.  Get involved in local and national politics.   Fight for social equality. Fight for something. Do something constructive in the environment you must live.  Use precious resources wisely.

The only way to fight injustice is to be healthy enough to do it.  You are running away into a fantasy land in the hope that this is somehow pure.  Untouched by the dirty complications of living well in a world where so many people can't.  

You probably can. Don't blow it.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:28:55 pm by mecch »

Offline buginme2

« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2011, 11:06:27 am »
You cannot combat conspiracy theories with facts.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline drewm

« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2011, 11:19:47 am »
The cost of medicine is determined by pharma companies to fund their research, pay their staff, and make a profit to pay their stockholders.  They get what the market is willing to pay. Peopled died of HIV in this world because countries (and individual sick people) couldn't afford the price.  Indian companies made generics and some countries can afford to buy them, instead.  Some countries broke the patent and manufacture drugs. Some drugs are on patent, some are no longer.  Its complex.  Its not kind to HIV+ people.

Why does a diamond engagement ring cost so much?  Why does a mac or iphone cost so much??  Why does a lb of perfect strawberries cost so much?

People are dropped from ADAP when a state faces a funding crisis. They decide to cuts, so then cut or dont expand ADAP.  Simple as that.  Its not kind to HIV+ people.  Its maybe prejudice.  Also, the states battle with the federal government to see who can finally pay, if anyone...  WE are in transition years.  Eventually if and when Obama care comes online, the states may be somewhat off the hook.  

What is the logic of your question?  If a state decides NOT to buy expensive drugs, how does this help the evil PHARMA???  

The US government must pay the price of drugs because there is law that says it can't buy generics.  This is about business. Its not very nice to HIV+ people and its not very nice to ANYONE WHO IS SICK WITH ANYTHING AND NEEDS medicine, but part of being a rich industrialised nation is that the government makes compromises to protect business.  

PB polluted the gulf but went on to record profits.  So, nothing special about PHARMA.  Big business gets its way. DUH. get over it.  You, an individual, have to make your healthy life despite the big bad complex compromised world we live in.

Its the same in almost every business that America protects through laws.  You can't buy "fake" or pirated microsoft programs with government money.  The reason you can't download a song or tv show or movie for free in the USA is the government protects its entertainment business.  You can't buy a counterfeit designer T-shirt.  

There is no freaking mass conspiracy to keep everyone on HAART forever.   Pharma did dirty deals with Obama as part of his getting Health care reform.  Its not pretty.  BUT IT WAS NOT ABOUT HIV --- IT WAS ABOUT ALL BRANDED DRUGS.  It has nothing to do with a conspiracy about HIV.

IT certainly has NOTHING TO DO WITH THE EFFECTIVENESS OF HAART.  Nothing whatsoever.  

You will be lucky you have it, when you need it, if you can get it.  Be lucky if your country manages to pay for brand name drugs.  Be lucky if your country manages to pay for generic drugs.  

There is NO freaking conspiracy.  

And what pray tell does Hitler have to do with anything?

ETAY never got out of his bubble so HAART couldn't save him.  He's DEAD!

My boyfriend in the 80's didn't have the chance of HAART.  He tried a bio diet, all kinds of supplements, spiritual pursuits.  Got an Ayurvedic doctor.  He died.  HIs last months were horrible, painful, gut-wrenchingly awful. I think the spiritual "work" and the eastern medicines - they didn't kill him, they didn't save him, they were a comfort and a bit of spice and a bit of a waste of money considering nobody had much to pay for all that.  And it didn't save him from HIV.  Which is WHY he was pursuing it.  

If he had had today's HAART, he'd be ALIVE.  

Use these alternative healing methods as compliments to science.

Its a free world.  Go get your spacey treatments by this or that guru but you will thank your lucky stars that you can get HAART when you need it.

If you are spending your own or someone else's limited financial resources on such alternative pursuits, its foolhardy.  

A-MEN!

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2011, 02:22:37 pm »
Hi Kelly:
Here is a excellent website which discusses, among other things:
 a) where's the harm in fake AIDS cures
 b) why is it so difficult to cure AIDS
 c) reputable research on curing AIDS
 d) how to spot fake AIDS cures and treatments - some great info here - some of it may ring familiar
 e) examples of false or unproven cures - interesting info here as well
 f) references

http://www.avert.org/cure-for-aids.htm

The site is Avert: AVERT is an international HIV and AIDS charity, based in the UK, working to avert HIV and AIDS worldwide, through education, treatment and care.

Continued best to you....
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2011, 02:50:36 pm »
In my opinion, this thread has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with HIV cure and/or treatment research and news and has no place here.

Can I request the moderators to move this thread to the "living with" forum ? I think it would be more relevant there for other readers contemplating Naturpathy etc.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline metekrop

• Is time running fast for you.
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2011, 02:56:08 pm »
In my opinion, this thread has NOTHING WHATSOEVER to do with HIV cure and/or treatment research and news and has no place here.

Can I request the moderators to move this thread to the "living with" forum ? I think it would be more relevant there for other readers contemplating Naturpathy etc.

Who the hell are you to say that.  This is the most commented and viewed of all threads in the forum. If you have anything to say, read and run to the other.  >:(
Diag.on 12/8, 2000, CD 440 VL 44K, No Meds
12/08 - 2/09 CD< 50 & VL >500k hosp'z.
St. Atripla - 7/09 CD 179, VL 197k
10/09 CD 300 VL U
3/10 468 U
8/10 460 U
12/10 492 U
3/11 636 U
8/11 530 U
1/12  616 U
7/12 640 U
12/12 669 U
5/13 711 U
11/13 663 U
4/14  797 U
10/14 810 U
4/15 671 U
10/15 694 U
3/16 768 U
8/16 459 U
2/22 780 U
8/31 940 U
2/26 809 U
8/18 882 U
3/28 718 U
8/15 778 U
2/25 920 70
8/11 793 U
2/22 690 U
6/8 834 U

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.