Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:02:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 351
Total: 351

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: cd Counts  (Read 7891 times)

Offline Sebastian1969

cd Counts
« on: July 21, 2010, 11:27:07 am »
Patner is still undetectable, has been for over 6 months now, but CD counts remain the same.
Has anyone found anything that might help to raise the CD counts?
He has been poz since 95 or so and has just gone on Atripla in the last year.  He feels good, catches a cold from time to time, but other than that healthy.

Any suggestion on anything to raise the CD counts would be great.  Last blood draw they were still below 200.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
Re: cd Counts
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 05:05:12 pm »
Other than keeping his VL at an undetectable level, there's nothing he can do which will raise his counts as such. They will go up in their own good time. It can take quite a while.

If he's below 200 then he should be taking some prophylactic medications such as Bactrim or Dapsone to prevent PCP and maybe some fluconazole (Difflucan) to ward off nasty fungal things.

Of course he may be taking those already, which is good.

MtD

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 06:28:23 pm »
Older patients, Lower CD4 Nadir, and NNRTI use can all make attaining a high CD4 more difficult.  You can discuss a change in regimen with your doctor (which is actually something I've discussed with my doctor) to get away from Atripla's NNRTI component.  The other two factors of course are outside of your control.

Offline Sebastian1969

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 10:29:14 am »
Thanks Guys
He is 40 and on Bactrim.
I am not a doctor or anything, but I wonder since it has been at a low level probably for years, that it would take longer to build back up.  Also without knowing what his counts were before HIV there's not much to compare to.
I worry is all

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 01:03:47 pm »
Hey Sabastian,

I've been poz for 26 years and my lowest CD4 count ever, was 4 and that was 1993. It took me 8 years to get above 200 and 13 years to get above 300. The fact that your guy is undetectable is great, and it will just take time for his counts to rise. Until then, enjoy each other and try not to worry so much, stress is never good, especially over things you cannot change.

Offline Sebastian1969

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 04:52:16 pm »
Thanks killfoile.  We do enjoy life- a little too much at times.  We will both try being a little more patiant and not expecting overnight success.

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 06:59:04 pm »
Out of curiosity what is his Cd4 count?  Mine is stubbornly sitting around 100 which makes me a little anxious, but there's really not much I can do about it other than what for it to rise naturally.  This is a year after my treatment began roughly.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 07:15:40 pm »
It was 285 in March.  Considering he started treatment at 106 cd4 he should be more realistic and consider himself fortunate that they're what they are.  Those are respectable increases.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 07:18:48 pm »
It was 285 in March.  Considering he started treatment at 106 cd4 he should be more realistic and consider himself fortunate that they're what they are.  Those are respectable increases.

He's gained more since March than I currently have.  He's doing amazing not just respectable.

Offline Sebastian1969

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 05:48:11 pm »
In March they were 185 not 285--that was my bad typing.  Nov/Dec was 235 but then went down and staying steady at that range, they are now 186.

Offline justin

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 10:43:50 pm »
In April 08 my wifes CD4 was 300 & now at 619 on atripla the whole time.

I often wonder what would happen if a bunch of HIV neg folks were to get their CD4 checked.
Is CD4 counts something that is ever checked in HIV neg folks during a blood test?

If it were not expensive i sure would just out of curiosity.

The reason I ask is I wondered if there is a big difference among neg folks also?

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.