Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:25:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 189
Total: 191

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Making the decision to have kids...  (Read 7663 times)

Offline CallingAllAngels

Making the decision to have kids...
« on: July 17, 2007, 03:21:17 pm »
For those of you who are moms, and decided to have kids after being diagnosed (if there are some of you here? Not sure, but I think there are)... would you mind telling me what your thoughts were at the time about giving birth? I'm in my early 20s and I'd LOVE to have kids, but even with all the preventative measures there are, I'd be hesitant to get pregnant if I thought there was a chance of giving this to my little one. Any thoughts? Anything you took or did, to lower that risk?

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
Re: Making the decision to have kids...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 05:54:33 pm »
I really have nothing to add on it since I had my kids before becoming poz. I thought I would make a suggestion instead. I don't know if this subject is something you just want to share with the ladies but check out the Living With forum because Morton Salt just started a thread on this very subject or you can start your own if you don't mind sharing with the general forum. I think you may get more replies there.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline CallingAllAngels

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2007, 06:25:58 pm »
Thanks, QA. I'll check out that section/thread.

(Still finding my way around, a wee bit, here)

Calling

Offline zachysmom

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 10:30:06 pm »
Hey Angels,
I decided to have a child after the fact of diagnosis. I had a really great Doctor who I was seeing at the ID clinic , who by chance happened to be a OBGYN as well. She was trully excited to have the opportunity to have a poz mother deliver a healthy negative child and was very optomistic my child would be negative. I am happy to report he is, been declared so by Oakland Childrens Hospital.
You have nothing to worry about, just do as the docs tell you.Which isn't much different except for taking meds starting at 16-20 weeks gestation. The chance of transmission is around 20% without meds, the reason for this is the baby's blood doesn't mix with the mother's. The placenta filters all the nutrients and waste, that's how a mother can have a blood type different than her babies. The virus is very small and still at times pass through the placenta, but that's why it's at 20% not 100%. With antiviral meds that are safe (I believe cat4 or5) to take during pregnancy, the chances are reduced to about 1%. Yah, that's a huge difference. There is still a chance but almost non existent.
You are still quite young, and as long your're in good health before pregnancy, you should have no problem conceiving and delivering a child.
My doc was even pushing me to have a natural delivery, which I was uncertain about, I ended up having a c-section only because I didn't dilate past 3 centimeters. But that's a whole nother story I might share one day on the forum, but I think I'll bore some people to death.
so good luck, and let us know if you get pregnant.

much love,
Nicole
From Russia with love,
Nicole

Offline catwoman

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 12:39:17 am »
zachysmom,
Did you conceive naturally and was your partner + or -?

Offline Lovinglife

• Life is too short for fussing & fighting my friend
Follow your heart
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 10:07:24 am »
I have been positive for over 22 years.  When I was infected there was no treatments and very little hope.  The hardest thing for me was thinking that I would never have a child.  I could not look at a pregant women without crying.  I chose not to have children; my health was not stable until the new meds came out 12 years ago.  Today I am 41 years old and  I still long to have a child; but today I do not think it is an option for me.  The blessing is that last year my twin sister had a baby boy, so I am able to enjoy her child.  I have known many women that have had children and the children are fine.  I wish you the best, and always remember to follow your heart.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline zachysmom

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 10:44:43 am »
Hi everyone,
 I conceived naturally, my husband is positive as well. It was a accident that I got pregnant, but It's all good. I have no regretts at all. and I am here for all the women who are going through it or contemplating it.
I know how shitty it feels not to have anyone to talk with, because I didn't, and it's horrible having to face it alone. that's why this site is like a god send.

Good luck,
Nicole
From Russia with love,
Nicole

Offline Rasheen

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 08:38:26 pm »
Hi,

I didn't know I had HIV until I was in my fourth month of pregnancy. I gave birth to a little boy who is now two. He did not get the virus thanks to the medications and taking care of myself. It was really scarey waiting for those results. Good luck whatever decision you make.

~~Rasheen

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.