Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:42:53 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 197
Total: 197

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Which is the best charity to give to with CURE as the goal?  (Read 5804 times)

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
Which is the best charity to give to with CURE as the goal?
« on: October 13, 2010, 07:05:13 pm »
Hi everyone. I know this is going to seem selfish or greedy, but with all this great research going on at the moment and the common theme of "not enough funding" going into these important fields, which charity would be the best one to even the imbalance?
Vaccine research is getting a lot of funding, prevention, treatment, but what about a cure?
Elton John Aids Foundation diversifies I believe - i.e. not specifically targeted at one direction.
Are there any others?
Interesting to read the thread about Pink Ribbon awareness and the lack of visibility re Red Ribbons. Does the public think the battle with HIV / AIDS has been won?
I have fund raised on World AIDS day before and most people are OK - kids and students are the best though! More generous and not as jaded .. yet!

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
Re: Which is the best charity to give to with CURE as the goal?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 07:06:34 pm »
PS - imagine if every positive person was able to give a little bit every year - what might be achieved?

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 07:16:49 pm »
PS - imagine if every positive person was able to give a little bit every year - what might be achieved?

Imagine if everyone cared before they became positive.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline lmdo

• 35 years old
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 03:59:48 am »
Well I was one of those people, believe it or not out, on street corners on December 1 World Aids Day selling red ribbons before I became positive, so I don't think I can be accused of being narrow minded and self serving. It's human nature that if you are touched by something like this you want to make a difference. Not only to your own or your partner's situation but to those going through the same thing.

Don't many people who are affected by an illness like MS or breast cancer often give to charities associated with those diseases? It's normal. It is human nature to want to do something to change things MORE when you are personally affected by a disease. i.e. Christopher Reeve setting up a charity to research stem cell for spinal injury etc...

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 05:11:01 pm »
That wasn't aimed at you just at the "imagine if everyone positive" part of your previous post, meaning we should target on more than just HIV+ people giving money.

But now that you mention it I'm sure you probably realize that even many in the gay community do little until they're infected -- it wasn't like that twenty years ago, but then I guess it all seemed more urgent then.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 12:29:05 pm »
This organization is working on a cure and needs donations:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=28633.msg369193#msg369193

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.