Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:58:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 352
Total: 353

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Recipe Thread  (Read 96331 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Recipe Thread
« Reply #300 on: October 11, 2011, 01:10:19 pm »
Honestly, I have to use Indian Basmati... once you try that you just cant go back to eating any other kind.

tut tut... I only use jasmine!  However I do agree it's always necessary to shun Uncle Ben's, etc.

I really, really adore rice. Sometimes I think I like it more than potatoes. In fact I'm sure that I do.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #301 on: October 11, 2011, 01:15:15 pm »
I actually would consider Jasmine.  Its up there with Basmati in the quality department.  Mahatma or Uncle Bens..... never!  Some wild rices are good too but I would not want to steam that for this recipe. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #302 on: October 11, 2011, 01:21:42 pm »
I actually would consider Jasmine.  Its up there with Basmati in the quality department.  Mahatma or Uncle Bens..... never!  Some wild rices are good too but I would not want to steam that for this recipe. 

Shouldn't you be pimpin' this? http://www.carolinaplantationrice.com/

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #303 on: October 11, 2011, 01:31:55 pm »
The Carolina rice is not bad and in a pinch I would do it.  The old plantations on Edisto Island were actually rice and indigo plantations.  Old Charleston (back in the day) was the port where most of it was shipped over to England and beyond. 

My mom has a rice bed in her bedroom to this day that was passed down through generations... of course it does not go as well in this modern contemporary house as it did in her great great grandfathers place. 

An example of a reproduction shown here: 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #304 on: October 11, 2011, 01:53:16 pm »
My parents have bedroom furniture that looks like that. I'm sure it's direct from High Point, circa 1950's.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #305 on: October 11, 2011, 02:22:17 pm »
OK, OK, I confess, I confess, I used to be a rice queen when I was in the Navy  :D so now y'all know the truth  ;D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #306 on: October 11, 2011, 04:18:38 pm »
tut tut... I only use jasmine!  However I do agree it's always necessary to shun Uncle Ben's, etc.

I really, really adore rice. Sometimes I think I like it more than potatoes. In fact I'm sure that I do.

I was successfully converted by my ex-wife who was Bahamian, it seems to be a staple of many of the Caribbean people as well.  Growing up my mother hardly ever cooked it and when she did it was that white stuff in the perforated bag called Minute Rice, just terrible.

Hopey, have you ever tried the parboiled stuff?  If not I suggest trying it.  Quick tip for anyone cooking with the good stuff: put the amount you want to make in a pot, cover with just enough water so that when you put your finger in, just touching the very top of the rice, the water level is right at the first line of your index finger.  Just below that first line if you have hands of a rock climber.  Salt, and bring to boil.  As soon as it starts to boil, cover and lower heat to a simmer.  Time it exactly 17 minutes from this point, perfect rice every time.  Was taught this by my first wife's mother two decades ago.

Hopey, here's the stuff you saw on my FB page.

Agrodolce sauce recipe:
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup honey
2 cloves garlic (minced)
3 scallions (finely chopped)
1 tsp finely chopped rosemary (fresh)

Combine all the ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, stirring making sure the honey dissolves.  Then lower to simmer.  Let it reduce (about 15 minutes).

You can put this over any kind of meat, but my favorite is either over pork or chicken.  The key is to get a good char or crust on the meat.  Another thing, season the meat before cooking with a little kosher/sea salt, black pepper, and most importantly cayenne or red pepper flakes.  This counters the Italian sweet and sour sauce given above.  I'll season boneless chops and sear in a bit of olive oil, or bake chicken wings in the oven at 400 degree until extra crispy.  After they are done, I either pour the sauce over the meat or place everything together in a wok I have.  The longer the meat sits in the sauce cooling the thicker the sauce becomes.  

Always better the second day.

I love to have the above with authentic Cuban style black beans.

Black Bean Recipe: (easy way)

1 can black beans, preferably Goya or Bush's brand (undrained)
1/4 onion finely chopped
1/4 red bell pepper finely chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
pinch of sugar
Adobe seasoning
splash of vinegar
olive oil
1/4 of the empty can from beans of water.

Saute onion and bell pepper until tender (DO NOT BURN), add garlic and carefully saute.  Add beans, water, just a splash of vinegar, Adobe seasoning to taste, and pinch of sugar.  Bring to a boil, stir... and lower temp to simmer about 10 minutes.

Fuck this stuff is to die for.  

Serve over white rice of course.  
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #307 on: October 11, 2011, 04:26:56 pm »
It's called adobo, not adobe which is a mud brick. And I'd be more impressed if you made it from scratch.

I once got in a huge argument with a ghetto Puerto Rican friend that insisted that true adobo was only Goya, and that it had never existed otherwise. I actually felt sorry for him.

... for the edification of others reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobo

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #308 on: October 11, 2011, 04:41:53 pm »
It's called adobo, not adobe which is a mud brick. And I'd be more impressed if you made it from scratch.

I once got in a huge argument with a ghetto Puerto Rican friend that insisted that true adobo was only Goya, and that it had never existed otherwise. I actually felt sorry for him.

... for the edification of others reading: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobo

Truth be told I wasn't trying to impress you, I would need a 15 inch cock for that.  But really, you should try it sans red brick.... ;)
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #309 on: October 11, 2011, 05:01:59 pm »
Skeebs,

I actually had to google Agrodolce Chicken when I saw that yesterday.  By no means does it sound easy to make and I know she was flattered that you did so.  At some point this fall or winter I will have to make this stuff. 

One of the best kitchen gadget investments I ever made was getting a rice steamer....a small version of what you see many use in some restaurants.  I have only had one bad experience with it, but it was my fault for adding all kinds of weird stuff to the rice before steaming it (pecans, dried cranberries, and broth). 

And Miss P... I hope your Puerto Rican friend was better suited for other activities rather than cooking.  Knowing what I do of you so far, I bet he had some other talents that maybe made up for it??

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #310 on: October 11, 2011, 05:16:44 pm »

And Miss P... I hope your Puerto Rican friend was better suited for other activities rather than cooking.  Knowing what I do of you so far, I bet he had some other talents that maybe made up for it??

He re-tiled my kitchen floor wearing only his underwear, does that count?

Offline denb45

« Reply #311 on: October 11, 2011, 05:18:46 pm »
I love Filipino Chicken Adobo w/ rice, and PLEASE ya'll haven't lived until you've had it w/ gilly gilly  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #312 on: October 11, 2011, 05:24:35 pm »
He re-tiled my kitchen floor wearing only his underwear, does that count?

HELL YEA!  Now that would make up for almost any cooking faux pas.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #313 on: October 11, 2011, 05:26:11 pm »
ya'll haven't lived until you've had it w/ gilly gilly  :D

Who is he?

Offline denb45

« Reply #314 on: October 11, 2011, 05:32:36 pm »
Who is he?

Not a HE it's the same thing as Chicken Adobo gilly gilly style. it could be cooked w/ ginger, vinegar or garlic, it's very good cooked the correct way, and it taste to best in the Philippines  :) here one way to cook it:

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1639,157180-235196,00.html

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #315 on: October 11, 2011, 05:40:20 pm »
Just messin with ya Dennis!  

I knew a family in DC who originally came from the Philippines and if you went to their house on Sunday you were expected to stay for the huge afternoon meal.... and I mean HUGE !!  I can't say that I have or have not tried it but surely would if given an opportunity.

Offline denb45

« Reply #316 on: October 11, 2011, 05:54:06 pm »
Just messin with ya Dennis!  

I knew a family in DC who originally came from the Philippines and if you went to their house on Sunday you were expected to stay for the huge afternoon meal.... and I mean HUGE !!  I can't say that I have or have not tried it but surely would if given an opportunity.

James You've probably had it when you were there for that Sunday Dinner, it's just a cooked chicken dish nothing more, and YES they can eat, I love all of there food, it's very good  ;)

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #317 on: October 12, 2011, 04:39:29 am »
My version of panang was less than stellar.  Perhaps this one would be best left to the chefs who know how to do it correctly.  It was ok but nothing like I expected it to taste.  I checked out some of the you tube videos and they indicate that the fish sauce MUST be added.  Soooooooooooooo... I screwed it up by not putting that in. 

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
« Reply #318 on: December 18, 2011, 05:29:12 pm »
Tonight's dinner - oven baked barbecue ribs, with yellow rice and green peas -
 2 1/2 lbs ribs
16 oz barbecue sauce (I used KC Masterpiece)
1/4 cup salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/8 cup paprika
2 eggs

Clean and boil ribs
Preheat oven to 250 degrees
Mix salt, sugar and paprika together in a large bowl with a lid - dredge ribs in the egg (helps the mixture stick better)
Put ribs in bowl and shake til fully coated with mixture
Put 1/2 cup water in shallow baking pan - place ribs in and cover with foil
Cook for 1 hour then remove foil, turn ribs, recover with foil and cook one more hour
After second hour, remove ribs, turn oven up to 400 degrees, while it is heating up from 250 to 400, drain ribs, place ribs in large bowl with a lid, add barbecue sauce and shake to fully coat, put ribs back in baking pan and cook for 1/2 hour more without foil topping -
Remove, allow to cool slightly and enjoy! 

September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #319 on: December 18, 2011, 05:37:36 pm »
Phil... those really look good!  Time to chow down on some ribs for sure!!

Offline Schedir

• Standard
« Reply #320 on: December 18, 2011, 06:22:30 pm »
Check out my youtube channel www.youtube.com/user/schedir81 I have plenty of recipe videos uploaded, perhaps you might find one you like ^_^
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.